vim.org without www

Sergey Avseyev

Aug 15, 2010, 5:06:11 PM8/15/10
to vim_dev
Hi guys

Do you know why vim website doesn't respond to 'http://vim.org'? and
responds only 'http://www.vim.org'

Regards,
Sergey Avseyev

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 15, 2010, 5:57:26 PM8/15/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Sergey Avseyev

Well, because that's what was aliased to vim.sourceforge.net, I suppose.

This said, some browsers will try www.domain.tld if domain.tld is not
found (for any domain.tld). Firefox and SeaMonkey are examples, but
(with them at least) it depends on a preference. In SeaMonkey the
corresponding UI is at "Edit => Preferences => Browser => Location Bar
=> Unknown Locations" (or use SeaMonkey => Preferences instead of Edit
=> Preferences if you're on a Mac). I don't know if Firefox has a
similar user-friendly option setting, or if with it you can only set it
via about:config.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Kiss me twice. I'm schizophrenic.

Christian J. Robinson

Aug 15, 2010, 5:57:33 PM8/15/10
to vim_dev
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Sergey Avseyev wrote:

> Do you know why vim website doesn't respond to 'http://vim.org'? and
> responds only 'http://www.vim.org'

I just noticed that today, and I think it used to respond to just
"vim.org" in the past. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

- Christian

--
"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein

David Fishburn

Aug 15, 2010, 7:40:55 PM8/15/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim_dev

On Aug 15, 2010, at 5:57 PM, "Christian J. Robinson"
<hep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Sergey Avseyev wrote:
>
>> Do you know why vim website doesn't respond to 'http://vim.org'? and
>> responds only 'http://www.vim.org'
>
> I just noticed that today, and I think it used to respond to just "vim.org
> " in the past. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Yes, I have also noticed this. I can't remember when it started but it
has been some months.

Dave

John Beckett

Aug 15, 2010, 10:12:59 PM8/15/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Sergey Avseyev wrote: > Do you know why vim website doesn't respond to

> 'http://vim.org'? and responds only 'http://www.vim.org'

Apart from the possibility as Tony mentioned that a browser may
attempt to use www.vim.org if vim.org fails to resolve, the
reason vim.org might work is because the DNS name servers
responsible for vim.org would include an A address record for
vim.org as well as for www.vim.org.

Currently, the vim.org name servers appear to be not responding
to DNS queries, although ns.42.org responds to ping and
traceroute, while ns2.42.org does not. Therefore, I can't check
whether there is an address record for vim.org (www.vim.org is
still cached in other DNS servers I tried, but vim.org is not).

John

John Beckett

Aug 17, 2010, 1:29:22 AM8/17/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
John Beckett wrote:
>> Do you know why vim website doesn't respond to
>> 'http://vim.org'? and responds only 'http://www.vim.org'
>
> Apart from the possibility as Tony mentioned that a browser
> may attempt to use www.vim.org if vim.org fails to resolve,
> the reason vim.org might work is because the DNS name servers
> responsible for vim.org would include an A address record for
> vim.org as well as for www.vim.org.

This issue is due to DNS server config.

Sourceforge has multiple websites on the same IP address.
For example, each of these is at 216.34.181.97:
http://www.vim.org/
http://www.jedit.org/
http://www.7-zip.org/

The web browser specifies which website it wants when it sends a
GET request to the IP address, and Sourceforge delivers the
correct web page based on that URL. It appears that Sourceforge
does not care whether "www." is included or not; these work:
http://jedit.org/
http://7-zip.org/

Currently, http://vim.org/ does not work. However, that is
because the DNS servers for vim.org do not include a suitable
entry for 'vim.org'. With the following in your hosts file:
216.34.181.97 vim.org

you can browse http://vim.org/ ok.

There is also a problem with the vim.org DNS servers, and I will
communicate with Bram about that (the secondary DNS server has
been dead or unreachable for at least a day, and the primary
sometimes does not respond).

John

Sergey Avseyev

Aug 17, 2010, 8:28:16 AM8/17/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Stefan `Sec` Zehl, Sven Guckes
www is deprecated

please check out

http://no-www.org/

--
Best regards,
Sergey Avseyev

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 21, 2010, 1:04:15 PM8/21/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Sergey Avseyev, Stefan `Sec` Zehl, Sven Guckes
On 17/08/10 14:28, Sergey Avseyev wrote:
> www is deprecated

...by one opinion group. In fact, their page points to at least two
concurrent opinion groups who affirm that /not/ using www is deprecated.

> please check out
>
> http://no-www.org/

I did, and I read (at some length) that what they recommend is that
every site should respond to URLs _both_ with and without the www
prefix. It's only at the very end that they mention www as "deprecated";
but you may (as I did) try the experiment of browsing to
http://www.no-www.org/ and you'll find yourself at the same page, not at
some 404 error page.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Banectomy, n.:
The removal of bruises on a banana.

tux.

Aug 21, 2010, 1:07:24 PM8/21/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Tony Mechelynck schrob am 21.08.2010 19:04:

The easiest way to get around this is to redirect vim.org to www.vim.org (or the other way around) via .htaccess; which would also avoid duplicate content. Not sure if this would be applicable here anyway.