MP2 Phone & Short Codes

Sylvester Chibamo

Dec 1, 2015, 9:39:44 AM12/1/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com, lets...@hexloctech.com

Hi

How do I make non smart phone to work with a MP2 Phone? How can I integrate the two?

Information services- How do I get this done, e.g dial 1 to get the prices for mesh potato, dial 2 to list all products..

Please advice.

Regards,

Sylvester

Sylvester Chibamo

Dec 2, 2015, 5:46:16 AM12/2/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com, lets...@hexloctech.com

Please advise on this one?

Regards,

Sly

T Gillett

Dec 2, 2015, 9:19:34 AM12/2/15
to village-telco-dev

You need a Softphone application.

I doubt you can do this on a non-smartphone.

Information services sounds like an application you might build in Asterisk.

Steve Song

Dec 2, 2015, 9:28:53 AM12/2/15
to Village Telco Dev, Letsapa Mojapholo
Hi Sylvester,

Non-smartphones, typically known as feature phones, can only connect to the world via the GSM network as opposed to smartphones which can use both GSM and WiFi.  To get an MP2 Phone (WiFi / VoIP) and a feature phone (GSM) to communicate, there needs to be a common point of interconnection because they operate on different wireless networks.  Smartphones are a different case because they can do both.

Interconnection for the MP2 can happen in a couple of different ways:

1/  The MP2 can be subscribed to a commercial VoIP service provider which maintains its own interconnections with the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) which will include connections to all mobile operators.  In this case the MP2 will have a direct dialable number or DID that can be called from any phone in the world.  And vice versa.

2/  Another option would be to have VoIP server like Asterisk or Freeswitch or similar that is local to your own MP2 network and to which the MP2s can register as SIP clients.  You can then make your own arrangements for interconnection from your VoIP server.  This could be in the form of a commercial agreement with an existing VoIP service provider to gateway calls from your network or, if you are large enough, to have individual interconnection agreements with specific operators.  This latter case only really applies for large networks.

It is also theoretically possible to run your own GSM basestation using OpenBSC or OpenBTS which can be linked to a local WiFi network but this is dependent on getting to GSM spectrum which is often a significant challenge.  Worth exploring though if you have a good relationship with your communication regulator.

Best regards... Steve