Re: [vt-dev] Generic OpenWRT on Mesh Potato

Song, Stephen

Apr 29, 2013, 8:35:18 AM4/29/13
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Denver,

On 29 April 2013 07:38, Denver <den...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey there,

I've recently had the privilege of working with a mesh potato. After gaining access via openwrt failsafe, I saw it was running a minimal customised OpenWRT install compiled from scratch and utilising olsr for mesh stuff.

As I don't intend to use the ATA, can I flash the generic Atheros ar2317 openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma and openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs to the MP? I'm just wanting to use it in STA/AP mode. If I don't hear anything, I'll go ahead and try, and report back :)

yes you can.  the only thing you'll lose is the ATA.  It should behave like a standard AR2317 AP.

Cheers... S

I did have a quick look at the config files in the source repository, and it looked like they were using the atheros target.

Kind regards,
Denver

Steve Song

elektra

Apr 29, 2013, 8:39:37 AM4/29/13
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

> yes you can. the only thing you'll lose is the ATA. It should behave like
> a standard AR2317 AP.

I can confirm that generic Openwrt images for the Atheros platform work as expected.

Cheers,
Elektra

--
Viral meme of radical freedom

The fact that you talk in your head doesn't mean that you think.

The best way to lose control over yourself is trying to control yourself.

Most people experience themselves as a voice in their head, telling them
who they are, what they think and what they have to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Denver

Apr 29, 2013, 8:56:23 AM4/29/13
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both for responding and for confirming this,

Kind regards,
Denver

Charles Wyble

Apr 29, 2013, 11:27:49 AM4/29/13
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Which generic image should be used? I had problems with generic, but scen worked beautifully.

elektra <onel...@gmx.net> wrote:
Hi -

yes you can. the only thing you'll lose is the ATA. It should behave like
a standard AR2317 AP.

I can confirm that generic Openwrt images for the Atheros platform work as expected.

Cheers,
Elektra

--
Charles Wyble
cha...@knownelement.com / 818 280 7059
CTO Free Network Foundation (www.thefnf.org)

Song, Stephen

Apr 29, 2013, 1:39:51 PM4/29/13
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Unless I am mistaken, it is generic Atheros firmware

That is what is recommended for the DIR-300 which is based on the same AR2317 chipset as the Mesh Potato.

Cheers... Steve