[videoblogging] Citizen Journalism - multimedia.05

Steve Garfield

Oct 19, 2005, 10:15:59 AM10/19/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
This is the class blog for Temple University Film and Media Arts
Department Multimedia Production Class, Fall 2005. Taught by Jen
Simmons.

<http://teaching.jensimmons.com/multimedia/2005/10/citizen-
journalism.htm>

<http://tinyurl.com/745yg>

She assigned students to watch some Citizen Journalism.

Four of my videos were assigned and the first student has posted his
comment.

In part it says, "And yeah I learned a few things, one being that not
just anyone can be a citizen journalist because a little bit of talent
and creativity is required. Also it seems like he compares himself to
Adam Curry's style, so basically he gets no points for originality."

He hasn't heard of the Michael Verdi technique of commenting I guess.

I'd like to hear your responses to his comment over on the class blog.

Thanks,

--Steve
--
Home Page - http://stevegarfield.com
Video Blog - http://stevegarfield.blogs.com

Like Paul Revere, leading the citizen's media revolution.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Verdi

Oct 19, 2005, 10:57:27 AM10/19/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:15 AM, Steve Garfield wrote:

> He hasn't heard of the Michael Verdi technique of commenting I guess.

What's the Michael Verdi technique? lol

As for that guy's comments... I've talked to Jen about this in
general, maybe she can say what she thinks, but I think part of the
reason we haven't seen more filmmakers as videobloggers and we get
comments like that is that they have a lot invested in the methods,
equipment, esthetic, and distribution system of film. Basically I
think there is an underlying basic misunderstanding of how
videoblogging differs from filmmaking. Now I don't think it's this
guys fault necessarily. I tell people all the time that, though I
understood videoblogging on an intellectual level right away, it took
about 6 weeks of actually posting, watching, and commenting to really
get a much deeper understanding of what's really powerful about
videoblogging.

--
Verdi

Lynn Lane

Oct 19, 2005, 11:10:56 AM10/19/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
I missed the original post on this thread. Can someone repost it. I'm curious about this one regarding filmmakers as videobloggers. I am actively trying to recruit some of my friends who are filmmakers to open up to vlogs. A few are in the process of starting their own now.

Lynn

Lynn Lane
Coal River Pictures/SKILLZ DVD Magazine

AIVF/IDA

Ring 8 Member
NYC

On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:57 AM, Verdi wrote:

On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:15 AM, Steve Garfield wrote:

> He hasn't heard of the Michael Verdi technique of commenting I guess.

What's the Michael Verdi technique?  lol

As for that guy's comments...  I've talked to Jen about this in
general, maybe she can say what she thinks, but I think part of the
reason we haven't seen more filmmakers as videobloggers and we get
comments like that is that they have a lot invested in the methods,
equipment, esthetic, and distribution system of film.  Basically I
think there is an underlying basic misunderstanding of how
videoblogging differs from filmmaking.  Now I don't think it's this
guys fault necessarily.  I tell people all the time that, though I
understood videoblogging on an intellectual level right away, it took
about 6 weeks of actually posting, watching, and commenting to really
get a much deeper understanding of what's really powerful about
videoblogging.

--
Verdi

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Individual Fireant Typepad
Use

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

johngaltsjournal

Oct 19, 2005, 2:21:15 PM10/19/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
--- In videob...@yahoogroups.com, Verdi <michael@m...> wrote:
Basically I
> think there is an underlying basic misunderstanding of how
> videoblogging differs from filmmaking. Now I don't think it's this
> guys fault necessarily. I tell people all the time that, though I
> understood videoblogging on an intellectual level right away, it took
> about 6 weeks of actually posting, watching, and commenting to really
> get a much deeper understanding of what's really powerful about
> videoblogging.

I come across this problem when speaking to film/video students pretty much every time.
They have a hard time conceptualizing on how the whole game (from creation to
distribution) changes with videoblogs-- and how just putting up a short film they made in
class as a videoblog almost stunts their growth in terms of learning about this new
medium. The immediacy and interaction from completing a vidpost is much different than
making a piece in the "old way".

Getting their heads away from the "unprofessional" aspects can be a pain as well..but most
understand the "citizen" part of Citizen Journalism.

schlomo
http://schlomolog.blogspot.com
http://webzine2005.com

Beth Kanter

Oct 19, 2005, 4:37:51 PM10/19/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
Looks like the class is also creating their own vlogs as well -- here's
the commentor's blog
http://palazzojay.blogspot.com/

I must have missed it, but could you explain the Michael Verdi technique
of commenting ..
Use

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

videobloggin...@yahoogroups.com

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 19, 2005, 5:44:10 PM10/19/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
Beth Kanter wrote:

> I must have missed it, but could you explain the Michael Verdi technique
> of commenting

I think it involves yelling into the camera and removing you clothes...

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...

Beth Kanter

Oct 19, 2005, 6:42:57 PM10/19/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
yelling four letter words?
> I must have missed it, but could you explain the Michael Verdi technique
> of commenting

I think it involves yelling into the camera and removing you clothes...

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...

Individual Fireant Typepad
Use

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    Jan McLaughlin

    Oct 19, 2005, 8:34:46 PM10/19/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    Verdi's conducting an ongoing vlog workshop based on certain principals
    of critique that are outlined in his introductory post, here: <URL:
    http://vlogworkshop.blogspot.com/ >

    Jan

    --
    "It isn't done alone. Pay more."

    Jack Nelson

    Oct 19, 2005, 11:27:59 PM10/19/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    --- In videob...@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@o...> wrote:

    > This is the class blog for Temple University Film and Media Arts
    > Department Multimedia Production Class, Fall 2005. Taught by Jen
    > Simmons.
    >
    > <http://teaching.jensimmons.com/multimedia/2005/10/citizen-
    > journalism.htm>
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/745yg>
    >
    > She assigned students to watch some Citizen Journalism.
    >
    > Four of my videos were assigned and the first student has posted his
    > comment.
    >
    > In part it says, "And yeah I learned a few things, one being that not
    > just anyone can be a citizen journalist because a little bit of talent
    > and creativity is required. Also it seems like he compares himself to
    > Adam Curry's style, so basically he gets no points for originality."

    well, I'd give the guy an F for tack, but he has some points. He says:

    >>2. some classes on learning how to hold the camera steady.

    Like I said not tactful, but the camera movement is a bit erratic. I know I've seen other
    pieces by you Steve that are rock steady and I've wondered if you had a tripod or someone
    else holding the camera. Now I can understand that if you are making a personal vlog then
    "professional" methods don't apply, but I think if someone is aspiring to be a citizen
    journalist, you should be held to a (slightly) higher standard and a staedy hand with the
    camera I think qualifies

    >>1. A wide-angle lense so that when he walks he can view the lcd screen while getting
    more of a landscape shot

    Now here I think he's asking too much. Spare lenses, boom mics, bounce cards and a ton
    of other equipment would be great, but are beyond what the normal citizen journalist can
    schlep around

    >>And yeah I learned a few things, one being that not just anyone can be a citizen
    journalist because a little bit of talent and creativity is required.

    Now that's just being an asshole. Get your fucking camera and go out and post something
    first before you start tossing comments like this around

    >>Also it seems like he compares himself to Adam Curry's style, so basically he gets no
    points for originality

    Here he's using what seems to me as a toss off comment on Steve's site to further slander
    him.

    >>Take this as you may, it is constructive criticism and we are in America, the land of the
    free, and have freedom, unlike some countries; including China, to voice our opinion.

    Yeah, go ahead, hide behind your freedoms, this is not on the whole constructive criticism

    Jack

    Beth Kanter

    Oct 20, 2005, 12:29:10 PM10/20/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com

     -------------------------
    If you follow the class links (http://palazzojay.blogspot.com/), you see that this guy has posted something.   And, yeah I learned a few things from seeing his video, one being that not just anyone can be a citizen journalist because a little of talent and creativity is required.  :-)

    Individual Fireant Typepad
    Use

    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      jonny goldstein

      Oct 20, 2005, 1:10:08 PM10/20/05
      to videob...@yahoogroups.com
      My impression of this guy who commented is that he's young, he's passionate, and very
      opinionated. He's posted like 7 comments so far on that one post. I think he's calling
      things like he sees them, even if in a totally snotty way. I recommended he go check out
      Steve's army birthday post, and he dug it, so he's capable of appreciating stuff, if he thinks
      it's well done. I think the kind of passion this guy is showing is great, even if he comes off
      as a little immature in the playground style of his critiques. Let's see what Palazzo posts as
      his semester progresses.

      --- In videob...@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Kanter" <beth@b...> wrote:

      > >>And yeah I learned a few things, one being that not just anyone can be
      > a citizen
      > journalist because a little bit of talent and creativity is required.
      >
      > Now that's just being an asshole. Get your fucking camera and go out and
      > post something
      > first before you start tossing comments like this around
      >
      > -------------------------
      > If you follow the class links ( <http://palazzojay.blogspot.com/>
      > http://palazzojay.blogspot.com/), you see that this guy has posted
      > something. And, yeah I learned a few things from seeing his video, one
      > being that not just anyone can be a citizen journalist because a little
      > of talent and creativity is required. :-)

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Clint Sharp

      Oct 20, 2005, 1:22:38 PM10/20/05
      to videob...@yahoogroups.com
      jonny goldstein wrote:

      > My impression of this guy who commented is that he's young, he's
      > passionate, and very
      > opinionated. He's posted like 7 comments so far on that one post. I
      > think he's calling
      > things like he sees them, even if in a totally snotty way. I
      > recommended he go check out
      > Steve's army birthday post, and he dug it, so he's capable of
      > appreciating stuff, if he thinks
      > it's well done. I think the kind of passion this guy is showing is
      > great, even if he comes off
      > as a little immature in the playground style of his critiques. Let's
      > see what Palazzo posts as
      > his semester progresses.

      One of the things about putting your stuff out to the world and asking
      for critiques is expecting that some of that world are going to come
      back to you with negative feedback. Some people are just assholes.
      It's probably not something to get into much of a sweat about. However,
      I'd think one thing to note about all this is that people who have paid
      for an education (especially the ones in the process of receiving one)
      often come out with a sense of entitlement and an over-assessment of
      what skill they themselves possess. I'd write off what this guy has
      said mainly to a lack of life experience.

      Clint

      --
      Clint Sharp
      New Media Guy & Technologist

      We are the media.

      Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

      Oct 20, 2005, 1:42:08 PM10/20/05
      to videob...@yahoogroups.com
      On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:10:08 +0200, jonny goldstein <spam...@gmail.com>
      wrote:

      > My impression of this guy who commented is that he's young, he's
      > passionate, and very
      > opinionated.

      I was surprised to see that he's actually 30 years old. But definitely
      passionate and opinionated. He strikes me as a "critical for the sake of
      being critical" rather than reflexive. Sadly, an archetype often seen in
      schools.

      Andreas "Dad, there are other wipes than the Star Wipe!" Haugstrup

      --
      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

      Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

      Oct 20, 2005, 1:46:50 PM10/20/05
      to videob...@yahoogroups.com
      On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:22:38 +0200, Clint Sharp <cl...@typhoon.org> wrote:

      > One of the things about putting your stuff out to the world and asking
      > for critiques is expecting that some of that world are going to come
      > back to you with negative feedback. Some people are just assholes.

      That reminds me of what I forgot to include in my previous mail.

      Jill Walker has written an article called "Weblogs: Learning in Public"
      about her experiences using blogs in in a university course she taught.
      It's pretty good.

      - Andreas
      --
      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>