For VFBers who fish in bear country...

1 view

Don Ordes

Jan 26, 2012, 10:21:29 AM1/26/12
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Why I carry my .50 cal. S&W up at the Canada border and in some Wyoming locations.
I just would't trust a .44mag to drop him.  This bear is double the size of a normal Yellowstone Park grizzly.

We could have a bear-skin and bear claw co-op swap!

Anyone ever eat grizzly-burger?
DonO

UNBELIEVABLE!

These two gents were calling elk in the Saddle Hills south of Woking, Alberta when this big guy slipped in on the caller. The Shooter spotted the bear about 8 yards from the caller and dropped him with 5 shots out of his 338 Win Mag.

Farmers in the area knew about the bear but weren’t able to track it after it had killed 3 horses, 5 cows, 13 sheep and a pen full of chickens on several different homesteads in the area. (Sounds like ‘Night of the Grizzly’)

Fish and wildlife had bear traps set up in the area but noticed on surveillance video that whenever a he would enter a trap, his hump would hit the top of the culvert trap slowing him enough that the trap door would wack him on the head before he was all the way in the rear. Check out the scar tissue on his face- must be from a trap.

Bear weighed in just under 1300 pounds and would have stood 11 ¾ feet tall on its hind legs…..  (i.e.- the top of a basketball backboard!)

image002.jpg
image005.jpg
image001.jpg
image004.jpg
image003.jpg

Allan Fish

Jan 26, 2012, 10:43:53 AM1/26/12
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

>Why I carry my .50 cal. S&W up at the Canada border and in some
>Wyoming locations.

Our Alaskan fishing guide found that a .454 worked nicely:

This was just down the road from where we were camped. The thin
aluminum skin of the RV wouldn't have been much protection from this
guy.

http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940/twig-snap-alerts-dog-walker-to.html

al
--
Allan Fish
Greenwood, IN

J Balmer

Jan 26, 2012, 10:46:21 AM1/26/12
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Nice bear.

Don Ordes

Jan 26, 2012, 11:07:26 AM1/26/12
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Allan,
Until the advent of the S&W 500, the .454 Casull was the bad-boy of factory pistols.  As you can see from the comparison photo, the S&W is quite a bit larger.  I have 500, 600, and 700 grain rounds in mine, which aren't even available in the .454 Casull (about 325 gr. max.).  Not to be a my-gun-is-bigger-than-yours bar-room argument, but that bear is my reason for having the knock-down power of a .458 Winchester Mag. rifle in my holster.  I want 8 yards away to stay 8 yards away.

Load these up with some real lead, and it's a real hammer.  (2600# M.E. vs 1800# M.E. on the .454)

And since we're protecting ourselves while fishing, this is fishing related.  And yeah, it does hurt to pull the trigger.  Like a pipe bomb going off in my hand.  Ear muffs are a must.

DonO

> --
S&W500 -bullets.bmp
STmonster_1103A.jpg
Lead bullets-b copy.jpg

Thomas

Jan 26, 2012, 10:19:13 AM1/26/12
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
with Ear muffs you will not hear the bruin comming ...

Don Ordes

Jan 26, 2012, 11:31:11 AM1/26/12
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
A-haaa...  good point.   But i don't fish with my ear muffs.

I could buy the sound-amplifying ear buds, which then automatically block off at loud noises.  Cabelas has them.  I'm considering them just so I can hear better.  A little bit of background noise (like a noisy river or the wind) and it's hard to pick up sounds, and the ear pieces are supposed to help that.  Plus they would protect my ears if I did have to shoot.  But my ears would be my last worry if I'm having to shoot a bear at point blank.  If he's 20 yards away and not charging, I would shoot over his head.  The concussion of this gun is like dynamite going off, and will spook most bears.  And make my ears ring for a month.

The problem:  That bear got within 8 yards of the caller because he was in stalk mode, and they can move without making a sound, like a cougar.  And they maul you and then eat you without killing you first.

DonO
with Ear muffs you will not hear the bruin comming ...

handletter_MP_05.jpg

Eric Worm

Jan 26, 2012, 12:49:12 PM1/26/12
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing :)

Eric Worm

Reed City, MI  49677

"And when it all goes well, when your dog does the difficult and does it with style, what you get isn't a bagged bird but the honor of sharing a moment of penultimate drama starring the dog you love and the bird you love. That is a taste of heaven, friends, and it's why the dog man hunts. And frankly, most of us kick through one hell of a lot of weeds between glimpses of Heaven." -Steve Grooms