Dressing for Baler Hopper?

Neville Gosling

Sep 6, 2009, 6:33:52 PM9/6/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Since the Hopper swap that Peggy organized, I am in a Hopper fly-tying mood. My Harrison Steeves mini-hoppers turned out great. I have them finished (for some time now) but have not yet mailed. I have just tied my first Charlie Boy Hopper and I am really looking forward to giving these a try on the weekend of 12-13 September.

One hopper that I used to tie was called the Baler Hopper and had legs made out of red/orange baling twine. Does anyone on the list have the dressing for the Baler Hopper. I have googled but not located. Maybe it is under a different name.

Here are some pics of my Harrison Steves Mini-Hoppers for the swap

http://tiny.cc/Vma7P

http://tiny.cc/VyXxU

http://tiny.cc/0zfYE

http://tiny.cc/N1gg2

Neville (Nev) Gosling

Greater Vancouver

Canada

jim phillips

Sep 6, 2009, 8:51:46 PM9/6/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

From: markf...@hotmail.com
To: vfb-...@googlegroups.com; desert...@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [VFB] Dressing for Baler Hopper?
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:43:53 -0600

Nev, you got those pics in jpeg style? Those url's are unclickable...............sorry, but i hate all that cut and paste crap..........pain in the butt and way to time consumming.................btw, the package show up yet? Good luck when you fish your hoppers.

From: nev.g...@shaw.ca
To: vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Dressing for Baler Hopper?
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 15:33:52 -0700

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.

Neville Gosling

Sep 6, 2009, 9:12:54 PM9/6/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Yes – I discovered this after I sent the e-mail. I tied to make it easier by cutting out the long URLs.   They do work however.

If you go to the the VFB MAIL web page and click on files you will see them there also.

Neville (Nev) Gosling

Greater Vancouver,

BC Canada

Sep 6, 2009, 10:45:28 PM9/6/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joyce:

I admire John Foust and saw him at a show in Seattle too many years ago. This was the first time that I saw a bullet head tool that John was using.  I did the same with my Harrison Steves Mini-Hoppers but just used a short length of latex tubing.  John Foust also had a pivoting wooden hair stacker.

I don’t expect that I have that particular issue of Flytying Magazine.  I had to cut back as I was spending too many $$ just to try and keep up.  I now take just 2 magazines and they are Trout & Salmon and Fly Fishing & Fly Tying which are both from the UK and are over $10.00 each.  I keep all my magazines as they are my reference material. I have some English ones dating back to when I bought them in 1957!

I just knew it as the baler hopper and have the twine but not the recipe.

Thank you very much Joyce.

Neville (Nev) Gosling

Grreater Vancouver

BC Canada

Nevile Gosling

Sep 7, 2009, 1:04:25 AM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Joyce:

I found this on the “interview with John Foust” page but I cannot locate (a) a picture and (b) the exact dressing.

“The Baler Hopper Foust designed had a bullet head elk hair, yellow foam and an elk hair wing. He added orange polypropylene for legs which adds great buoyancy. Same material as a water ski rope. They don't sink.”

Neville (Nev) Gosling

Grreater Vancouver

BC Canada

Sep 7, 2009, 2:54:45 AM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Foam hopper tying just suck you into it, doesn't it? Check my foam "hopper tour" for a few
more ideas of what to try. (Jester contributed with his designs too):

In my CP I found that a site that linked to mine had more hoppers (among other foam flies):

/Nick

Sep 7, 2009, 2:22:27 PM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nick:

Yes, it is quite different. I find it a bit hard to get an even coating of CA glue on the foam, without putting too much on.

I think it sucks into the foam and disappears. It may be my foam of type of glue. Yes it’s fun

Neville (Nev) Gosling

Greater Vancouver

BC Canada

Allan Fish

Sep 7, 2009, 6:49:44 PM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Nev,

Yes, it is quite different. I find it a bit hard to get an even coating of CA glue on the foam, without putting too much on.
I think it sucks into the foam and disappears. It may be my foam of type of glue. Yes it's fun

3M company makes several spray adhesives that are really good for foam.  I used M Super 77 Spray Adhesive.

I don't really know what the minimum time is.  I followed the directions.  I put the foam in a big cardboard box (to catch the overspray).  If memory serves me right (happens less frequently these days), I sprayed each piece separately and let them get tacky (3-5 minutes?).  Then I put them together carefully.  I layed them on a very flat surface and put a book on them overnight.  Worked fine.  I even did three layers for the Chernobyl ants.

Also on the 3M website are:
  3M Industrial Spray Adhesive
  3M FoamFast 74 Spray Adhesive
Both of these are also recommended for foam.

I'll try to get that picture that I promised you tonight.

Cheers,
a.
--
Allan Fish
Greenwood, IN

Niclas Runarsson

Sep 7, 2009, 7:23:02 PM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I'm a Zap-A-Gap man...

Neville Gosling

Sep 7, 2009, 7:38:54 PM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Yes - but how do you separate your thumb from your forefinger after pressing on the foam?

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B. C.  Canada

Sep 7, 2009, 8:43:49 PM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [VFB] Re: Dressing for Baler Hopper?
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 01:41:51 -0600

Thankx Nick.....cool stuff.  So many KArazy things you can do with foam..........i've got quite a bit of it and never use it.......i wonder what someone might wanna swap for it.............???????????? Or more importantly, "who" might have something i need, that also uses foam............???????? Of course, i'd have to ask Misa first.....cause she sometimes uses it.........i'll see what she says.
Do we have a swaps page?

From: niclas.r...@soderhamn.com
To: vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Re: Dressing for Baler Hopper?
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:54:45 +0200
<BR

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.

Don Ordes

Sep 7, 2009, 11:12:22 PM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Is Zap-a-Gap the same as Super-Glue Gel?  I use the SG Gel-form a LOT.

I mean Lots and Lots:

Eyes on deer-hair bodies and heads
Eyes on Egg-yarn sculpin heads
Eyes on fur and wool heads
Eyes on my saltwater streamers- with giant eyes a must
Gill-plate feathers
Thread and wire glued to hook-shanks (when called for)
Probably a lot more too...

Need to try it on foam, see if it dissolves it.

Dave Whitlock gave me a few bottles of Zap-a-gap at the FFF, but I haven't tried it yet.

DonO
From: Allan Fish

Neville Gosling

Sep 7, 2009, 11:26:32 PM9/7/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Don
Zap-a-Gap is a well known brand and they market several different types of super glue.  Thin, gels and so on. They even have a Zip Kicker for instant and I mean instant set up.  A lot of radio control aircraft modellers use it in different thicknesses.  A model shop is the best place to locate it, not your hardware store, at least not in Canada. It is a CA (Cyanacrylate) glue aka "Super Glue."

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B. C.  Canada

Sep 8, 2009, 9:42:12 AM9/8/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
I have always used plain old rubber cement to glue foam together.  Coat each piece with a thin layer of RC, let it dry to a tacky state - instant contact cement - and carefully put the two pieces together.  I have done three layers of foam by this method and have never had them separate.

--
Joe Fusco, Sr.
Member of The Missouri Trout Fishermen’s Association, The International Brotherhood of the Flymph and The Virtual Fly Box

REMEMBER CANCER IS A WORD NOT A SENTENCE

Reply to:
jfus...@gmail.com

Neville Gosling

Sep 8, 2009, 1:14:06 PM9/8/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
It seems that there is some confusion as to what I am actually trying to do when glueing foam to make the Charlie Boy Hopper.

The process of tying the Charlie Boy hopper involves folding together a strip on foam that is attached to the hook by the bend and eye.  It is a bit like making a crease fly, but the fold of the foam is in a different plain.  Instead of from one side of the hook shank , over the wire shank and glue to the other side, the foam is glued from end (eye) to bend. It's hard to explain and evident in http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=164
It would be somewhat difficult to use contact cement in this case and super glue CA is used instead.

IF I was just joining different sheets of foam together for a "club sandwhich" type of fly, I would choose conatact cement - either brush on or even better spray on.

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B. C.  Canada

Neville Gosling

Sep 8, 2009, 6:03:27 PM9/8/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
For Mark:

I crossed the border and picked up the hooks today. Monday was a statutory holiday in BC and border traffic would have been heavy over the entire long weekend and so I waited until today. The size 12 tinned Gamakatsus are the smallest saltwater fly hook I have found to date. I think that I prefer tinned to satinless steel. I'm not sure how long it takes to break down in salt water. Anyhow, I suspect that I am now probably a bit too late to fish the beaches for pink salmon this year, as I suspect that most have entered the rivers by now, but I will check my local river.

Thank you very much. Is there anything I can send you in return?

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B. C.  Canada

jim phillips

Sep 9, 2009, 9:59:13 AM9/9/09
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [VFB] RE:small saltwater hooks
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 18:08:41 -0600

For Nev.....what's that all about, having to cross the boarder? Enjoy the hooks, at least you'll be ready for next year. Do you have a business card or personal card? If so.....sign one, on the FRONT, and put it in with a fly.......don't stick the fly in the card, i'll do that. I do them all uniformaly in the same way as much as possible. TKX! Nev.....
Subject: [VFB] RE:small saltwater hooks
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 15:03:27 -0700