Synonyms for Value Networks

Sergej

Nov 9, 2009, 6:40:07 AM11/9/09
to Value Networks
As my paper on value networks builds, I post parts to my blog. The
installment I created today looks at different terms that can be
regarded as (part)synonyms for value networks: networks and
organizations, strategic alliances, value constellations, strategic
networks, smart business networks, business ecosystems, value webs,
and the business group.

I outline the terms, provide a brief description for each and give
references to the sources in which the terms were coined. See:

http://businessjazz.blogspot.com/2009/11/synonyms-for-value-networks.html

Look forward to your comments.

Sergej

Charles Ehin

Nov 9, 2009, 2:45:39 PM11/9/09
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

Very thorough work, Sergej. Congratulations!

Starting with my first book (Unleashing Intellectual Capital) I took a hard look at the anthropological evidence of our kind (Homo sapiens) going back about 200,000 years. What I found is that we operated in very small networked social systems (the largest tribes had about 150 members and there were no “assigned” leaders)—for starters see Yellen, J.E. (1990) “The Transformation of the Kalahari Kung,” Scientific American, April, pp. 99-105.

Later I got into evolutionary/molecular biology and neuroscience. There I found that humans (all biological entities) are self-organizing systems by design from our basic molecules to the entire body even extending to the immediate environment surrounding us. What that shows me is that we are individually made-up of networks and are, in turn, members of social networks external to our bodies. Further, all these dynamics are emergent.

In essence, there is no life without mutually beneficial relationships/networks whether between cells or people. That’s how we survive and develop/maintain our identities as individuals and groups.

Charlie

www.UnManagement.com

Sergej van Middendorp | Miles Ahead

Nov 11, 2009, 3:38:07 AM11/11/09
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the pointers. Actually, I have contemplated going deeper in the direction of the origins of collaboration. This reference was new to me, so that is helpful. Earlier, triggered by an article in The Economist about collaboration in early homo sapiens communities and its link to modern economics, I took a look at this book:

Seabright, P. (2004). The company of strangers: A natural history of economic life. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.

Do you know it?

The two works that currently guide my thinking and critical analysis with regard to neuroscience and biology are:

Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (1999). Philosophy in the flesh: The embodied mind and its challenge to western thought. New York: Basic Books.

and

Sheldrake, R. (1981). A new science of life: The theory of morphic resonance (1995 ed.). London: Blond & Briggs.

Are you familiar with those?

I will take a look at your earlier work to enrich my learning. Thanks!

Cheers, Sergej

Charles Ehin

Nov 11, 2009, 1:32:33 PM11/11/09
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Sergej,

I have not read the books that you cite but that's okay. However, I'll check them out shortly. There is a lot of good "stuff" out there now and the list is growing. Below is list you might also want to take a look at. I particularly like the works of Cacioppo, Pinker and Ridley.

Cheers, Charlie

      Cacioppo, J. T. and Patrick, W. (2008). Loneliness. New York: W. W. Norton and Company.

      Dunbar, R. (1996). Grooming, Gossip, and the Evolution of Language. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.

      Gigerenzer, G. (2007). Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious. New York: Viking.

      Hallowell, E.M. (1999) “The Human Moment at Work.” Harvard Business Review, January-February, pp. 58-66.

      Hartung, J. (1995). “Love Thy Neighbor The Evolution of In-Group Morality.” Skeptic, Vol. 3, No. 4.

      Hofstadter, D. (2007). I Am a Strange Loop. New York: Basic Books.

      Kluger, J. (2007). “What Makes Us Moral.” Time. December 3, pp. 54-60.

      Kluger, J. (2008). Simplexity. New York: Hyperion.

      Linden, D. (2007). The Accidental Mind. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.

      Lynch, G. and Granger, R. (2008). Big Brain: The Origin and Future of Human Intelligence. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.

      Marcus, G. (2008). Kluge: The Haphazard Construction of the Human Mind. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company.

      Medina, J. (2008). Brain Rules. Seattle: Pear Press.

      Montague, R. (2006). Why Choose This Book? How We Make Decisions. New York Dutton.

      Pinker, S. (2002). The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature. New York: Viking.

      Ridley, M. (2003). Nature via Nurture. New York: Harper Collins Publishers.

      Shubin, N. (2008). Your Inner Fish. New York: Pantheon Books.

stevewaddell

Nov 12, 2009, 8:59:39 AM11/12/09
to Value Networks
Sergej: collecting these different concepts is valuable. I have some
suggestions to further strengthen your approach:
1) you, like most, are heavily weighted by the business-analyst
traditions despite inclusion of some notable sociologists...the money
that goes into business research traditions gives it higher profile
(and focus to people who are research-consultants). However, there
are important sociological/movement traditions that are missing...such
as social movements, coalitions and alliances from that perspective.

2) I encourage you to aim for a higher level of analysis as opposed
to simply a listing...go for comparative dimensions, to try to get to
some of the underlying distinctions. We need a much more precise
language in popular usage so we can have better conversations...see,
for example, the tables at www.networkingaction.net that go in this
direction.

3) I suggest that to your typology you add something specific for
global change networks...referred to variously as Global Public Policy
Networks (Reinicke), Global Issue Networks (Rischard), and Global
Action Networks (GANs--my usage). You can find more about this in
articles at http://networkingaction.net/5.html.

Best wishes,
Steve Waddell
> http://businessjazz.blogspot.com/2009/11/synonyms-for-value-networks....

Verna Allee

Nov 12, 2009, 9:48:21 PM11/12/09
to Value Networks
I am just so appreciative of the depth of knowledge in this community!
All three of you are making important contributions to our
understanding of complex purposeful networks. The overlaps in our
respective bodies of knowledge are intriguing as well. Sergej I do
know Rupert Sheldrake's work (and have met him.) It is fascinating
work, although he has had heavy going in mainstream science.

Charles your observations remind me of someone who said to me recently
that her boss is very skeptical about how effective people can be
working in networks - it is all so new. I had to laugh because working
as networks is something that only goes back about 50,000 years!

Now, of course, we are trying to be more concious and attentive to our
networks so we can address even larger and more complex problems.
While 150 people used to be sufficient for local action we are now
trying to active networks of thousands and even millions of people to
tackle huge challenges such as global warming, poverty and violent
conflict.

There is quite a community of authors coming together here with a
sharp focus on value creating networks: Sergej Van Middendorp, Charlie
Ehin, Patti Anklam, Steve Waddell, Oliver Schwabe, Judith McCrory,
Camille Venezia, Paul Edwards, Rahul Basole and several others. Those
of you who have relevant articles - be sure to submit them to the
openvaluenetworks.com group! It is a very good resource for all of
us.

Verna

On Nov 12, 5:59 am, stevewaddell <swadd...@gan-net.net> wrote:
> Sergej:  collecting these different concepts is valuable.  I have some
> suggestions to further strengthen your approach:
> 1)  you, like most, are heavily weighted by the business-analyst
> traditions despite inclusion of some notable sociologists...the money
> that goes into business research traditions gives it higher profile
> (and focus to people who are research-consultants).  However, there
> are important sociological/movement traditions that are missing...such
> as social movements, coalitions and alliances from that perspective.
>
> 2)  I encourage you to aim for a higher level of analysis as opposed
> to simply a listing...go for comparative dimensions, to try to get to
> some of the underlying distinctions.  We need a much more precise
> language in popular usage so we can have better conversations...see,
> for example, the tables atwww.networkingaction.netthat go in this
> direction.
>
> 3)  I suggest that to your typology you add something specific for
> global change networks...referred to variously as Global Public Policy
> Networks (Reinicke), Global Issue Networks (Rischard), and Global
> Action Networks (GANs--my usage).  You can find more about this in
> articles athttp://networkingaction.net/5.html.
>
> Best wishes,
> Steve Waddell
>
> On Nov 9, 6:40 am, Sergej <sergej.van.middend...@milesahead.eu> wrote:
>

> > As my paper on value networks builds, I post parts to my blog. The
> > installment I created today looks at different terms that can be
> > regarded as (part)synonyms for value networks: networks and
> > organizations, strategic alliances, value constellations, strategic
> > networks, smart business networks, business ecosystems, value webs,
> > and the business group.
>
> > I outline the terms, provide a brief description for each and give
> > references to the sources in which the terms were coined. See:
>
> >http://businessjazz.blogspot.com/2009/11/synonyms-for-value-networks....
>
> > Look forward to your comments.
>
> > Sergej- Hide quoted text -

Sergej van Middendorp | Miles Ahead

Nov 16, 2009, 5:31:53 AM11/16/09
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Thans for these references Charles. And for sharing what inspires you. Cacioppo and Patrick's title arouses my curiosity most, so I think I might look at that first. ;-)

Sergej van Middendorp | Miles Ahead

Nov 16, 2009, 5:41:40 AM11/16/09
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

When I follow the 'rules' of literature research, with the sources that I have available, this is what turns up. Only with input and feedback from critical experts in the field, like yourself, do I have a chance to move beyond what's obvious. So thank you for the specific ideas here.

Getting at the underlying terms and metaphors to help us evolve to more meaningful conversations is a thought that had crossed my mind. Some of the overview articles I ran into propose terms (each again in their own words, can we otherwise?). And I could use structured metaphor analysis to distill some of the stable and unconscious concepts in use.

Cheers, Sergej