sahara - a vagrant plugin that allows for a sandbox mode

Patrick Debois

Apr 28, 2011, 7:39:34 AM4/28/11
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
This morning I've created a first version of a gem called Sahara (inspired by cucumber-vhost and vmth )

It allows you to enable a sandbox mode within vagrant (think snapshot).

I found it useful during my development of recipes and creating os packages.

You can use it to try out new stuff, without having to resort to a vagrant destroy for easy rollback.

https://github.com/jedi4ever/sahara

It's a first cut and I haven't got feedback if this works well within other people's environments.
I'd love to hear your feedback (does it work for you? any feature requests?)

Patrick

Typical usage would be :
  • Enter sandbox mode:
    vagrant sandbox on
  • Do some stuff:
    vagrant ssh
  • If satisfied apply the changes:
    vagrant sandbox commit
  • If not satisfied you can rollback:
    vagrant sandbox rollback
  • To leave sandbox mod:
    vagrant sandbox off

gareth rushgrove

Apr 28, 2011, 2:06:05 PM4/28/11
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
On 28 April 2011 12:39, Patrick Debois <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This morning I've created a first version of a gem called Sahara (inspired
> by cucumber-vhost and vmth )
>
> It allows you to enable a sandbox mode within vagrant (think snapshot).
>
> I found it useful during my development of recipes and creating os packages.

I happened to be building and testing some packages today and gave it
a go. Worked perfectly for me. Good job.

--
Gareth Rushgrove
Web Geek

morethanseven.net
garethrushgrove.com

patrick.debois

Apr 29, 2011, 3:51:39 PM4/29/11
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the feedback, glad it worked for you.

P.S. Now what was that great Vagrant plugin you tweeted about ? :)

gareth rushgrove

May 2, 2011, 12:49:58 PM5/2/11
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
On 29 April 2011 20:51, patrick.debois <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for the feedback, glad it worked for you.
>
> P.S. Now what was that great Vagrant plugin you tweeted about ? :)

I haven't written it yet :)

Next couple of weeks hopefully I'll grab some time to finish it off
and make sure it's useful.

Gareth

Christian Trabold

May 12, 2011, 12:02:35 AM5/12/11
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Am 28.04.11 13:39, schrieb Patrick Debois:

> This morning I've created a first version of a gem called Sahara

> You can use it to try out new stuff, without having to resort to a
> vagrant destroy for easy rollback.

> It's a first cut and I haven't got feedback if this works well within
> other people's environments.
> I'd love to hear your feedback (does it work for you? any feature requests?)

Patrick, it's awesome! No problems so far.

*My scenario*

I installed sahara while having a Vagrant already box running.

Sahara simply "hooked in" the running machine and I could "sandbox"
right away.

So I could use "vagrant sandbox on" without stopping the machine, do my
tests and "vagrant sandbox rollback" to restored the original state.

Exactly what I expected.

Great work! And again a very smart Gem name :)

*Feature requests*

none.

Instead your Gem could probably make this feature request on Vagrant
obsolete:

https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/143

Best

Christian

patrick.debois

May 12, 2011, 12:58:02 AM5/12/11
to vagra...@googlegroups.com

> Exactly what I expected.
>
> Great work! And again a very smart Gem name :)

Glad it worked for you !

> *Feature requests*
>
> none.
>
> Instead your Gem could probably make this feature request on Vagrant
> obsolete:
>
> https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/143

I think it's probably a dilemma: the integration of the gem is done
through executing the commandline Virtualbox commands.
In Vagrant we are aiming more for API calls through virtualbox API and
in the future via Libvirt maybe.

The same goes for the veewee gem, and is probably the main reason for
not integrating it into vagrant code base.