x86_64 support

roelof...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2008, 3:54:12 AM9/3/08
to v8-users
hi

are there any plans to support x86_64? from the code it looks like
only ia32 and arm are supported.

regards
roelof.

Christian Plesner Hansen

Sep 3, 2008, 4:42:15 AM9/3/08
to v8-users
There should be no problems running v8 on x86_64. Internally v8 only
ever runs 32 bit so the ia32 architecture is also used on x86_64.

Erik Corry

Sep 3, 2008, 7:24:08 AM9/3/08
to v8-users
I think what roslof probably meant was whether we planned to create a
64 bit version of V8.

This hasn't been decided yet. Chromium is 32 bit at the moment, and
since all OSs still support 32 bit programs this isn't a pressing
issue.

Since JavaScript is a dynamically typed language you always have to
reserve space for an object reference so a 64 bit version of V8 would
use almost twice as much memory for objects and on stacks. Code would
also grow. At the moment there is no register allocation worth
speaking of in the code generator so there would be no immediate
benefit from the extra registers available to 64 bit code.

On Sep 3, 10:42 am, Christian Plesner Hansen

roelof...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2008, 7:27:32 AM9/3/08
to v8-users
On Sep 3, 1:24 pm, Erik Corry <erik.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think what roslof probably meant was whether we planned to create a
> 64 bit version of V8.
>
> This hasn't been decided yet. Chromium is 32 bit at the moment, and
> since all OSs still support 32 bit programs this isn't a pressing
> issue.
>
> Since JavaScript is a dynamically typed language you always have to
> reserve space for an object reference so a 64 bit version of V8 would
> use almost twice as much memory for objects and on stacks. Code would
> also grow. At the moment there is no register allocation worth
> speaking of in the code generator so there would be no immediate
> benefit from the extra registers available to 64 bit code.

thank you for the answer. i was thinking of support for 64bit code
generation etc.

roelof.