Will Jameh run?

Toyin Falola

Jan 18, 2017, 4:05:01 PM1/18/17
to dialogue

Cornelius Hamelberg

Jan 18, 2017, 9:19:45 PM1/18/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Among which are preservation of life, and liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” ( Thomas Jefferson)

It must be a dilemma for President Jammeh. Na boy pikin !

You can tell from his titles “His Excellency Sheikh Professor Alhaji Dr Yahya Abdul-Aziz Awal Jemus Junkung Jammeh Naasiru Deen Babili Mansa" that unlike the prophet Moses, he is not one of the humblest of created (human) beings – furthermore, the military instinct the animus that probably governs him would not like to go down in history as a cowardly commander-in-chief of the Gambia who fled with his tail between his legs when threatened by ECOWAS troops.

I remember Saddam's blood-curdling boast, that President Bush can send as many troops as he wants and that “they will swim in their own blood”.

Even though half of his cabinet and maybe more than half of his troops have already deserted him, it's possible that as a Muslim he has probably been fortified by what he read in the Quran which he walks around with :

And when Saul set out with the army, he said: Lo! Allah will try you by (the ordeal of) a river. Whosoever therefore drinketh thereof he is not of me, and whosoever tasteth it not he is of me, save him who taketh (thereof) in the hollow of his hand. But they drank thereof, all save a few of them. And after he had crossed (the river), he and those who believed with him, they said: We have no power this day against Goliath and his hosts. But those who knew that they would meet Allah exclaimed: How many a little company hath overcome a mighty host by Allah's leave! Allah is with the steadfast.(Quran : 2:249)

Hopefully, before the midnight deadline expires, he would have been prevailed upon to step down, that in the real world he is no David the shepherd boy – that he may be fighting a just cause but just in order to save his own skin and his dear Gambian people's lives he ought to step down since he must know that his path of resistance is foolhardy and he cannot take on the combined military power of Nigeria and Senegal if they have sworn to dislodge him.

On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 22:05:01 UTC+1, Toyin Falola wrote:

[...]

Chidi Anthony Opara

Jan 19, 2017, 7:48:51 AM1/19/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Jammeh may leave and activate guerrilla warfare from outside. One thing is certain, he did not want to leave as an ordinary citizen, he wants to leave as President, which he may still be, going by the state of Emergency proclaimed recently.

Before now, I was of the opinion that Jammeh's side of the story should be listened to, but seeing all his titles, I do not think that the man has anything serious to say.

CAO.

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Jan 19, 2017, 4:04:07 PM1/19/17
to USAAfricaDialogue