Obituary: Prof Okon Uya

Toyin Falola

Apr 17, 2014, 9:45:08 AM4/17/14
to dialogue
It is with a heavy heart that I announced the death of Okon Uya. He died today.
Toyin Falola
Department of History
The University of Texas at Austin
104 Inner Campus Drive
Austin, TX 78712-0220
USA

Segun Ogungbemi

Apr 17, 2014, 10:55:43 AM4/17/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Our condolences to the family and may his soul rest in perfect peace
Segun Ogungbemi

Sent from my iPhone

winers...@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 17, 2014, 10:24:29 AM4/17/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Oh God,another giant and sage has fallen and a chasm has been created.Indeed,how are the mighty fallen...God,give us the fortitude to carry the weight of this loss.Mike Odugbo Odey,Benue State University, Makurdi
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

From: Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:45:08 +0000
Subject: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Obituary: Prof Okon Uya

Okechukwu Innocent

Apr 17, 2014, 11:56:46 AM4/17/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
May his soul rest in peace.Amen

Jibrin Ibrahim

Apr 17, 2014, 11:49:01 AM4/17/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Very sad death of a committed historian and gentleman. May his soul rest in perfect peace.

Jibrin

cogb...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2014, 4:54:36 PM4/17/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
What is happening? Our tribe keeps decreasing. First it was Abasiattai, then came Kunle Lawal's turn, Amadi from the Calabar axis followed. Shortly afterwards the news of Lasis's demise filtered from Ilorin, then Adeleye -an icon of the Ibadan school, of History took a bow and hopefully and lastly for this year, that of a fine bred historian - Okon Uya.  They were all historians of repute.
For Ibadan, our ranks have been heavily depleted. For Historical Society of Nigeria, five of our fellows who served the country meritoriously ‎have departed. It's a dark day for us again.
As we say in Oluyole's Ibadan, Erin wo. Ani ri erure mo o. ‎ The elephant has departed, we will not see such again;  least not soon.
Very sad CBN Ogbogbo .

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
It is most unfortunate that the Historical Society of Nigeria is losing some of its greatest and profound members at a time that they are most needed in the seemingly daunting task of nation building for which they have contributed so much. Professor Okon would be missed for his critical insights on the Nigerian project.

A true nationalist, a foremost intellectual and a respected Africanist and scholar activist; Professor Okon produced many historians including Professor Yakubu Aboki Ochefu, the current Vice Chancellor of Kwararafa University Wukari and former President of the Historical Society of Nigeria. The HSN and the entire African academic community has just been deprived of one of its most respected personalities by the cold hands of death. May his gentle soul rest in the hands of the Lord. AMEN.

winers...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Oh God,another giant and sage has fallen and a chasm has been created.Indeed,how are the mighty fallen...God,give us the fortitude to carry the weight of this loss.Mike Odugbo Odey,Benue State University, Makurdi
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Ayoola Tokunbo

Apr 18, 2014, 10:59:51 AM4/18/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
May his soul rest in peace.

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:45:08 +0000

Ashafa Abdullahi

Apr 18, 2014, 12:03:11 PM4/18/14
to usaafricadialogue
A sad news indeed. May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace and for the family, colleagues and well wishers to bear the irreparable lost.

Abdullahi Ashafa, PhD
Professor,
Department of History,
Kaduna State University,
Tafawa Balewa Way,
P.M.B. 2339,
KADUNA-NIGERIA
+234897137080

Ekhator Godfrey

Apr 18, 2014, 3:35:02 PM4/18/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, dialogue
Adieu Papa, the teacher of teachers, the Don of Dons, the Emeritus Prof. of Professors of history. We will miss you, though we love you but God loves you most. Continue to rest in the bosom of the Lord until we meet to part no more. RIP.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Apr 19, 2014, 10:09:00 AM4/19/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
May the souls of Abasiattai, Amadi, Lawal, Lasisi, Adeleye and now Ukon Uya, fellow

historians and members of the Historical Society of Nigeria, rest in peace, as they join the ancestors.

We must celebrate their life and their various contributions to Nigerian history.

Their works should be read directly and indirectly at the secondary and

tertiary levels in colleges and universities, and their intellectual perspectives forever embedded in

African historiography.

Death is inevitable but ideas can live forever.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
africahistory.net
vimeo.com/user5946750/videos
Documentaries on Africa and the African Diaspora

________________________________

It is with a heavy heart that I announced the death of Okon Uya. He died today.
Toyin Falola
Department of History
The University of Texas at Austin
104 Inner Campus Drive