FINAL Action on Diaspora Petition to President Yar'Adua over Non-Renewal of Passports

Mobolaji ALUKO

Oct 15, 2009, 7:01:17 AM10/15/09
to USAAfrica Dialogue, NaijaPolitics e-Group, NigerianWorldForum, NIDOA, naijaintellects, NaijaBusiness, OmoOdua, ekiti ekitigroups, Ekiti peoples voice Ekiti peoples voice, naij...@yahoogroups.com

For wide distribution......

October 15, 2009

Dear All:

The signature drive is now over for a petition to urge Nigerian citizens and friends particularly in the Diaspora to express displeasure at an official directive from Abuja that prevents the renewal of the passports of and consular services to certain citizens of Nigeria.  We asked that you send in your name, city and country of residence  by Wednesday midnight October 14, 2009, unless President Yar'Adua had reversed himself before then.

He has.  We are therefore sending a  letter to commend him for that, but at the same time we are attaching the original intended letter.  Names of the signatories have been transferred to the commendation letter, and we trust that that is acceptable to all.  It will be dispatched by express mail within the next day, even though by the time of the actual receipt of the hard copy, an electronic version would  have already been in wide circulation.

We thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Bolaji Aluko

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coalition of Concerned Nigerians
c/o Burtonsville, MD, USA

October 15, 2009

Dear President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua:

Please find attached a letter that we the undersigned signatories (about two hundred in number) had originally meant to forward to  you to protest a September 17, 2009 directive from  the Foreign Ministry preventing the renewal of passports and offering of consular  services to certain  Nigerian citizens, namely Mallam Nasir El-Rufai(former Minister of Federal Capital Territory of Abuja) and Nuhu Ribadu (former EFCC Chairman), for their recent criticisms of your government.  We all found it in egregious violation  of our constitution, and a threat to the socio-political and economic well-being not only of these two individuals, but of all Nigerians resident abroad, and at home as well.  The letter had urged that the order be rescinded, lest we bring a class  action suit against its issuers.

However, we are gratified that even before this attached letter officially got to you, a memo dated October 13, 2009 under the signature of  the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Bagudu Hirse has been brought to our attention, wherein the offensive order has been categorically rescinded.   We particularly welcome and fully agree with its emphatic language that "it is the inalienable right of every Nigerian to seek and be granted a Nigerian standard passport as enshrined in the Nigerian Constitution."  .

We therefore commend you for this timely action, and urge that you fully probe all persons and institutions who might have used the phrase "at the highest level" to falsely insinuate your now-refuted permission of the illegal order.  We believe that you should also take the  opportunity to remind government officials at all levels that under your rule-of-law administration, nobody should be able to direct them to carry out an illegal order, particularly against Nigerian citizens.

God bless Nigeria!

Sincerely:

Mobolaji Aluko, PhD
Burtonsville, MD, USA

on behalf of the following Signatories

Mobolaji E. Aluko, PhD,  Burtonsville, MD, USA

Festus Onyegbula, USA
Prof Michael O. Kolawole, Melbourne Australia
Emmanuel Uzo Obi  ,Raleigh,NC,USA
Nurudeen B. Akinyemi, PhD, Atlanta, GA, USA
Paul Olatoye, Laurel,MD, USA
Bob Olukoya, UK
Bunmi Fatoye-Matory, North Carolina, USA
Dapo J. Oladehinde
Sunday Olatunji, Atl.  GA, USA
Atibioke Olugbenga Isaac, Germany
Steven Kueberuwa, Washington, DC, USA
Rotimi Ogunsuyi, Chicago, USA
Suleiman Baba, Barnsley, UK
Robert Olusoji
Musafau Wale Ashiru, Elkton, USA
Steve Nwabuzor, Michigan USA
Abdul Raufu Mustapha, Oxford, England
Kayode Ogundamisi, UK
Nigerian Liberty Forum, UK
Anthony Akabogu
Moziz Poshyommie Fabiyi
Kemi Akinyemi, Nigeria
Mike Offei, NOrway
Chukwudube Egwuatu, London, UK
Fola Orekan
Kate Ebinum
Tola Osunuga
Abayomi Ayomide Adebimpe
Adebiyi Adewakun, Nothern Va. USA
Ike Diribe, Hardyston, New Jersey, USA
kehinde marcus ajayi, columbus, ohio u s a.
Olusoga Lati Odusanya, Old Trafford, Manchester, UK
Felix Ayanruoh Esq., New York, USA
Jeffrey Adams,Edmonton, North London, United Kingdom
yinka oguntokun, london, united kingdom
Niyi Fadeyi, Ontario, Canada
Musa A. Aibinu, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Victor Olajumoke, London, UK
Tunde Adebanjo,West-Indies
Olalekan Oluwole Akinremi, Winnipeg Canada
Anthony Obiako, Mobile, Alabama, USA.
Pius Adesanmi, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Samaila Haddi,Houston USA
Isaiah O. Oladeji, PhD, Orlando, FL, USA
Sonala Olumhense, New York, USA
Fadahunsi Adeniyi, Shenzhen, China
Okeke Ndubisi, Toronto, Canada
Experience Nduagu, Turku, Finland
Ada Wendu, North carolina  U.S.A
Hindu J. Abashiya, Lynn, MA, USA
Sulaimon O. Balogun, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Elisha Brownson, Kabul, Afghanistan
bashir muazu, kaduna, nigeria
Charles Obidigbo  Ezugha, Shanghai , China.
Musendik Giwa, Fremont, CA
Babs Akinola, Grand Prairie, TX U.S.A
Lasisi O. Mohammed, Atlanta, GA. USA
Ademola Daramola, Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
Olurotimi Daudu, Calgary, Canada.

Omoruyi Dennis, London, UK
Uche Jonathan
Victor Akhomiotor Imhangbe, Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
Enoma Osaigbovo, Dallas,Texas, USA
Osamudiamen Cyril Idehen, Berlin, Germany
olodegunre Bunmi John, Lagos, Nigeria

Jonathan Ross, Ilpen,The Netherlands

Fakolade Olumide Henry , Ile-Ife, Nigeria
Paul Akpofure, Dublin, Ireland
Chibuzor Ado Fidelis, Springfield, Illinois, USA

Joy Egwutu, Dublin , Ireland
Ahiamadu Jackson Samuel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Jon Okafo, London,UK
Lemmy Owan, Hertfordshire, United kingdom
Nduka Tolefe
Efoghor Omobude Festus, Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, Spain
Paul Shotunde, Essex, UK
John Olufemi, Palma De Mallorca,Spain
Mofeola Ayinde, Lagos, Nigeria
Mukhtar Adam,  Abuja Nigeria
Olatunji Mubarak B., Manchester,UK
Kola Olutomilayo,Lagos Nigeria
Ezekiel Dariya, Abuja Nigeria
Chief Larry Ololo, Tulsa, Oklahoma,USA
Robert Olusoji, Dunboyne, Co.Meath, Ireland
Suleiman Baba, Barnsley, United Kingdom
Dr Abiola Olumide Oshodi, Dublin Republic of Ireland
Mutiu Leshi, Brooklyn , New  York
Kofi Johnson, USA
Chidinma Chukwu, Chicago,  USA
Deji Zaid Kolawole, Lagos, Nigeria
Oluwaseun Oyekan,London, UK
Abike Opeyemi Ojo, Blackpoool, UK
Steve Modojemu, Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
Majek Adega
Arnold Obomanu, Brighton, UK
Veronica Ajiboye, London, UK
Utake Emuobosa O., Porsgrunn, Telemark District, Norway
Mr. Christopher Eidangbe, New York City, USA
Professor Nonso Okafo, Ph.D., Norfolk, USA
Okey Nwofor, New York City, USA
Joseph Williams, Esmeraldas, Ecuador
Ted Nwaogu,
Isa Izuagie, Rockville, MD USA
adetunji onamade, Boston, MA, USA
Adegboyega Onasanya, Aberdeen, UK
Rev. Zacchaeus Olusegun Akinleye,Brooklyn, NY, USA
Tunji Keshinro, Liverpool, UK
Rev. (dr) Femi Alabi, Brooklyn, USA
Adamu Mujeli Goni,Leicester,United Kingdom
James Ibidapo Osuma, Ski, Norway
Rev. Philomena Alabi, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Dr Francis A. Bejide, London, UK
'Dapo Osewa, UK
Taye Idris, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Philips ADEKUNLE, Osaka,Japan
Selba Pyentam, Toronto, Canada
Leke Alli,Tampa, FL,USA
Kunle OwojoriCalgary, Alberta, Canada
Adejumoke Akin-Taylor, CA
Amos Akin Adejinmi, London, UK
Comrade Victor Oshioke, Vienna, Austria
Biodun Sowunmi
Adeseni Coker
Joe Igietseme, Atlanta,GA,USA
Somi Obozuwa, Fort Lauderdale, USA
Azuoma Anugom,Esq., California U.S
Mrs. Noyo Edem, New Jersey, USA
Yinka Odumakin, Lagos, Nigeria
Joseph I. Maclayton-Jack, Sugar Land, TX USA
Dele Alade, New York, USA
Ola Kassim, Toronto, Canada
Hadi Luguja, Kansas City, USA
Oluseyi   Agboola, Baltimore,Maryland,

Ayokunle Ogunfeitimi, San Antonio TX, USA

Fabian Ngozichukwuka Nwaoha, Ontario, Canada
Hakeem Babalola, Budapest, Hungary

Akintunde Akinola Menlo Park, Ca U.S.A
Okolie Kingsley C, MD, West Indies
Luke Okafoakpu,Seidelbastweg, Heidenheim, Germany

Ibrahim Mohammed,London, UK
Oladimeji Allen-Taylor, Houston. Texas
Adeolu Osundeko, Nottingham, UK
Opebiyi Opeseyi,Abuja,Nigeria
Benedict Adeyemi, Fairfield, CA, USA
Abass Opeoluwa, Lagos, Nigeria
Abdullahi Idris Zubairu, Singapore
Clement. Olakanmi, Mississauga,Canada
Gbolahan Gbadamosi, UK
Agbonkpolor Owa Naps., Vienna, Austria.
Vin Otuonye, Atlanta, GA. USA
Posi Olatubosun, Hertfordshire, UK
Sir Okey Ajaruogu, Houston, TX, USA
Mustapha O. Lawal,  Tottenham, London. UK
Mohammed Salihu, Washington DC, USA
Isa Nadada, London, UK
Aishatu Ella, Abuja Nigeria
Abdul Jimoh, Croydon, London, UK
Temple Chima Ubochi, Bonn, Germany
Jolly C. Anaba, Esq, Silver Spring, USA
Ejike Obineche, MD, USA
Kay Soyemi (Esq.), London UK
Musediq O. Ashiru, Toronto, Canada
Bayo Adedosu, Brampton, Ontario. Canada
Kingsley Aigbedion, from Frankfurt Am Main, Germany
Abdul Yakub, Hyattsville, USA
Jamiu Adekunle Oduborisha, California, USA
Busuyi Mekusi, Johannesburg, South Africa
Adewale Samuel Anigilaje,Welling,Kent,UK
Matthew Omere, UK
Samuel Shodunke, Lagos, Nigeria
Folake Lebi
Dr. Valentine Ojo, Tall Timbers, MD
Oladimeji Adigun UK
Modupe Odusanya, Naperville, USA
Victor Adewusi, USA
Akinbayo Akinyemi Oshuntoye, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Chief Funmi Olumade, Canada
Dr. Olatunde Olusesi, New York, USA
Layi Abegunrin, MD, USA
Mahmoud Abdullahi, Minna, Nigeria
Rotimi Sunday adara
Thoney O Omoboye Manhattan, New York, USA
Enyinnaya Clay Adiele, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Adegboyega Dada,NY, USA
Fidelis A. Idonije, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Olugbenga Agboola, Houston TX USA
Adebanji Dada, Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
Zephyrinus C. Okonkwo, Albany, Georgia, USA
Olumide Fatoki, Waldorf, Maryland, USA
Tom Olalekan Lawson, UK
Ayo Afolabi, Ibadan, Nigeria
Joseph O Aina, Connecticut, USA
Daniel Bakpa, Birmingham UK
O. Geoffrey Okogbaa, Tampa, FL USA
Dr. Baba Adam, Chico, CA, USA
Olaolu A. Fakayode, Oakland, California, USA

Dapo Falade PhD (Atlanta & Jordan)

Femi Falana, Lagos Nigeria

Funmi Falana, Lagos, Nigeria

Mallami Azeez Kayode, Zürich, Switzerland

Adebayo Adejuwon, Calgary,Alberta, Canada

ATTACHED LETTER:

October 12, 2009

Dear President Yar'Adua:

Our attention has been drawn to incontrovertible evidence that the Federal Government - as initiated by its National Intellegence Agency and perfected by the Foreign Ministry - has instructed its missions abroad not to renew the passports of certain named citizens of Nigeria, namely Messrs Nuhu Ribadu (former EFCC Chairman),  and Nasiru El-Rufai  (former Minister of Federal Capital Territory) or grant any consular services to them.

The decision is a tragic reminder of the dark days of brutal military dictatorship when the confiscation of the passports of political opponents, human rights activists and pro-democracy campaigners was the order of the day.  We are aware of only one occasion when the military government of Abacha frowned at the completed renewal of former Foreign Minister (and then NADECO chieftain) Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi's passport in Washington DC when an embassy official lost his posting and almost his job  - but that was after the fact.  Thus, to our knowledge,  none of the military dictators ever directed Nigerian missions not to renew passports of their opponents BEFORE the fact.

As also pointed out recently by Barrister Femi Falana, we wish to draw the Federal Government's attention to the case of Director, SSS v. Olisa Agbakoba (1999) 6 NWLR (PT 595) 314 where the Supreme Court held inter alia:

“It is not in dispute that the Constitution gives to the Nigerian citizen the right to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof. It also guarantees to the citizen the right not to be expelled from Nigeria nor be refused entry thereto or exit therefrom. Section 38(1) of the Constitution provides:

‘38(1).    Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigerian and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereto or exit therefrom’

It is matter of common knowledge that for a Nigeria to travel out of Nigeria to another country he must first hold or possess a valid passport issued by the Government of Nigeria. See: Section 4(1) of the Immigration Act, Cap 171 LFN 1990 and the definition of the word ‘passport’ in Section 51 thereof. Without this document, he cannot leave Nigeria or be admitted to another country. It follows, therefore, that without a passport a citizen of Nigeria cannot exercise the right guaranteed him by the Constitution, of egress from Nigeria. Can it, then, be said that the right to hold a passport is not one guaranteed by the Constitution? That is a question that calls for determination in this appeal.

If the view is correct - and I subscribe to it – that possession of a passport makes exit out of Nigeria possible, it follows that without it a citizen of Nigeria cannot enjoy the right of egress from Nigeria given him by section 38(1) of the Constitution. In my respectful view, therefore, to hold or possess a passport is ancillary to the right of egress from Nigeria given in Section 38(1). It is, as rightly held by the Court below, per Ayoola JCA (as he then was), concomitant to the right of egress from Nigeria. It is a concomitant right without which the right of egress from Nigeria becomes hollow or empty”.

In the light of the foregoing, the decision of the Federal Government to effectively,  gratuitously and vindictively strip any Nigerians of  citizenship by denying them of their constitutional right to hold Nigerian passports without due process it is in clear violation of the provision of Section 38 of the Nigerian Constitution and Article 12 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

We shudder at the thought that those of us in the Diaspora who criticize the government of the day for any reason may suddenly become passport-less and hence be unable either to carry out our jobs that require international travel, visit our families back at home, or worse still be subject to deportation by our host governments.  We shudder at the thought of our Nigerian compatriots inside the country who can become shut in and hence cannot travel to visit their families abroad or carry out official or professional duties simply because their passports have been pre-emptively seized due to non-renewal.

Having regard to the fact that President Yar’adua is the current Chair of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) the denial of passports and/or their renewal is a clear violation of Article 3 of the ECOWAS Protocol on Community Citizens which has been ratified by Nigeria.

Under the circumstances, we urge the Federal Government to reverse the illegal and unconstitutional directive without any further delay, otherwise the decision will be challenged  as a class-action suit.  We also urge you to remind all government officials to be mindful not to issue or carry out unconstitutional and hence illegal orders under the guise of "orders from above/highest quarters."  God does not commit atrocities, and the officials should be made aware that "The Devil made me do it" is no defence in law.

We urgently await your favorable response.