FW: BUHARI ON THE BOKO HARAM LINK

Assensoh, Akwasi B.

Apr 17, 2014, 10:04:17 AM4/17/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, anthony...@yahoo.co.uk, a...@fahamu.org, Afoaku, Osita, Osili, Una O, rig...@yahoo.com, dmwh...@iupui.edu

B’Haram link: Apologise or face litigation, Buhari tells PDP

APRIL 17, 2014 BY OUR CORRESPONDENT

Former Head of State, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd),
Former Head of State, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd),
| credits: File copy
A former head of state and a chief of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Peoples Democratic Party, to retract its wild accusation linking him with the Boko Haram terrorist acts, tender an unreserved public apology to him or face a legal action.
In a statement personally signed in Kaduna on Thursday Buhari said, “I cannot sit back and allow my image, and that of my political party be smeared by falsehood in the name of politics.”
He said the widely publicised and very serious allegations made against him by the PDP and its spokesman, Olisa Metuh, to the effect that his utterances were responsible for the current state of insecurity and terrorism bedeviling Nigeria, were absolutely without basis.
The former Head of State said, ”To support his claim, Metuh engaged in twisted logic and outright distortion – which he called facts – in which he said that I, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, beckoned on my ‘supporters to go on lynching spree’ should I lose the 2011 presidential election, as a result of which ‘an unprecedented violence broke out claiming the lives of hundreds of innocent people’.
”I take very serious exception to this grave accusation against me by the PDP Publicity Secretary. It is a false allegation aimed at tarnishing my image and reputation in the hope of destroying my political and electoral standings, and that of my party, the APC, in the country.
”Firstly, it is public knowledge that Boko Haram as a terror organisation long preceded the 2011 presidential elections. My utterances or lack of them on the 2011 presidential election could not therefore have created nor sustained the Boko Haram insurgency.
”Secondly, the PDP Government of President Goodluck Jonathan constituted the Sheikh Ahmed Lemu Panel of Inquiry to investigate and report on the post-election violence in some parts of the country. The panel discharged its duties within its terms of reference and submitted its Report to the President. This Report was accepted by government and a Whitepaper issued.
“Nowhere in that Report, a product of thorough investigation of that unfortunate incident, was I mentioned in the remotest way to have uttered a word or acted in any form or manner that sparked off the violence. If I had, certainly that investigation would have uncovered it. The truth is that I had not.
”Thirdly, 2011 was not the first time I contested a presidential election and was declared defeated, it was the third! If I had had no cause to ‘beckon on my supporters to go on lynching spree’ in the two previous occasions, I would have had no cause to change in 2011 – and I did not.”
The APC chief said the PDP National Publicity Secretary also deliberately misquoted the interview he gave in Hausa on May 14, 2012 in which he said the opposition was determined to fight in the 2015 elections.
Buhari added, ”I used the Hausa idiom ‘Kare jini, Biri jini’, which is a metaphor for a very tough fight. But, like the Islamic fundamentalist toga they falsely put on me because they cannot impinge on my personal and professional integrity, PDP apologists deliberately twisted this idiom to mean I called for violence.
”I am not a violent person and, other than my professional calling as a soldier, I have never associated with violence, I abhor violence and have never advocated it. I have always been a law abiding person, who insists on due process and the rule of law in all my private and public affairs.
”It is therefore a grave infraction to my person, personality and integrity that such a false and malicious accusation is being leveled against me by the PDP. This is a dangerous politics by the ruling party and it must stop forthwith.”

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 18, 2014, 4:26:25 PM4/18/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, anthony...@yahoo.co.uk, a...@fahamu.org, Afoaku, Osita, Osili, Una O, rig...@yahoo.com, dmwh...@iupui.edu, aass...@indiana.edu
 Now is the time  for the voices of our democratically minded Nigerian Brothers and Sisters to de raised in the spirit of fair play and on behalf of
Brother Muhammadu  Buhari  who is unfairly being vilified by any suggestion that he is in any way connected to Boko Haram without any evidence to support such a claim. As we all know, and the perpetrators know it better than we do, the vilification is politically motivated with the sole aim of  tainting his political pedigree and soiling his well earned reputation as Mr Clean , well in advance of the next presidential elections...

" When something is not right, it's wrong!" and in the interests of justice  we ought to spaek out...

Sincerely said,

Ekhator Godfrey

Apr 18, 2014, 5:20:21 PM4/18/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, anthony...@yahoo.co.uk, a...@fahamu.org, Afoaku, Osita, Osili, Una O, rig...@yahoo.com, dmwh...@iupui.edu, aass...@indiana.edu
When will posterity judge our Nigerian politicians? They are so forgetful and very confused. Can someone show Rtd Gen. Buhari the following links: 1) https://www.facebook.com/hopefornigeria/photos/a.152919604766170.37823.100484630009668/717278778330247/?type=1&relevant_count=1
3)

"Post-election violence: FG panel report indicts Buhari on    /   in Headlines 2:32 am   BY CLIFFORD NDUJIHE & DANIEL IDONOR, ABUJA- THE Presidential Committee on Post-Election Violence in parts of the country, yesterday submitted its report stating that Congress for Progressive Change, CPC, Presidential Candidate, Major General Muhammadu Buhari’s provocative remarks played a role in the bloody violence that led to the death of 10 members of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, and hundreds of others after last April’s presidential polls."

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 19, 2014, 11:02:38 AM4/19/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, anthony...@yahoo.co.uk, a...@fahamu.org, Afoaku, Osita, Osili, Una O, rig...@yahoo.com, dmwh...@iupui.edu, aass...@indiana.edu

Sir,

Accusing my man Muhammadu Buhari of being a major supporter of Boko Haram is patently absurd, even as a political ploy by which one would- be- president or even a supporter of an incumbent president demonises his rival by saying that his rival is a sponsor of terrorism. It’s as patently absurd as accusing a former president of the United States of supporting al- Qaeda (although the US is currently supporting al-Qaeda elements in Syria...

Equally disingenuous is the absurd question, ”how many litigations will end the menace of BOKO HARAM?” – by which I suppose you mean how will Muhammadu Buhari taking legal measures (defamation of character, libel and slander) those who accuse him of sponsoring Boko Haram – bring an end to the carnage  in Northern Nigeria?  Brother Buhari should be at liberty to salvage his good reputation from the vilifiers and preferably by legal means...

However, Buhari has denied making inciting utterances, saying that the panel and the Federal Government were executing a pre-determined agenda since the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and President Goodluck Jonathan had earlier accused the CPC of being responsible for the mayhem even before the panel was raised.”  And there you have it – unless you can show us the specific utterances, we are merely being abstract, even nebulous....

In the midst of the media hysteria and the gathering North-South political maelstroms in which the vociferous South (East and West) is so dominant, for balance, I am a frequent visitor to the pages of Aliyu U. Tilde a reasonable media representative of moderate Northern views. Without that kind of balance one is liable to become an extremist, albeit unwittingly so...

Our greatest concern ought to be how to bring peace and prosperity to Nigeria, to all Nigerians, since there is only one Nigeria and that  Nigeria is non-negotiable they say, and even the National conference says that the dissolution of “the Lugardist experiment” is non-starter  is not and cannot  be on the agenda.

What is most clear is that the enemies of Nigeria would like to further their divide and rule agenda along the ethnic, regional and religious fault lines.  How better to exacerbate the pre-Biafra tensions, the North-South divide than to have a terrorist movement called Boko Haram that has been on the rampage for several years now, indiscriminately  slaughtering  Muslims and Christians alike, locking in prayerful congregations in their churches and torching them alive, slaughtering Muslim children in their boarding school houses.

And the trigger-happy and inept Nigerian Military on their genocidal missions, indiscriminately killing civilians and whoever they identify as Boko Haramies – if it is a war, taking no prisoners of war, since the extermination of their perceived enemy is their sole mission.

Should Boko Haram move South, what they will Goodluck Jonathan do? Bomb the North/” Northern hideouts”?  Will there come a time when all Muslims will be suspected of being Boko Hara or Boko Haram sympathisers?

Brother Muhammadu Buhari is one of the stalwarts of contemporary Nigeria that I most admire. I was in Nigeria on 31st December 1983 when the Buhari- Idiabgon duo rescued the nation in that bloodless military takeover.  The looters were not and are still not happy when they hear the name of the honest general being mentioned. You know the whole story and I know the whole story too, we could tell the story in different ways, so please save your breath and let me hold my peace.

 My admiration for the man is based  on  the evidence available to us both in deed and  word and I’m thinking of this interview in particular in which he decries the plague  of pernicious corruption that blooms like grass in Nigeria and talks about the importance of education  - including Western Education which is said to be anathema to  the Boko Haram philosophy .

We are to assume that former President Muhammadu Buhari is a nationalist and that he also loves Nigeria and would therefore like to have equal justice for all – all Nigerians.

To charge Brother Muhammadu Buhari with the heinous crime of being a major supporter of Boko Haram without any evidence to support such a charge, is in itself a heinous crime.

To quote half of the comments that Punch attributed to Muhammadu Buhari in 2011 is also not telling the whole story and we all know that Boko Haram activities have escalated since then. Here’s is the rest of what Punch wrote  then  - in essence  what  Muhammadu Buhari  is quoted as saying in that Punch article is true for all to see – and this was Niger Delta  militants hitting  at the heart of  Nigeria’s  lifeblood  in the Niger Delta.

You present this Human Rights Watch report  which is a synoptic view  the spontaneous post-election violence  that erupted  in twelve of the Northern states of Nigeria in April 2011 in reaction to Goodluck Jonathan  being elected president  and the same Goodluck Jonathan setting up a Commission to look into the causes  of this violence.  I don’t know to what extent  the Commission thus set up was an independent  Commission  - and even from this distance  I assume that some of the findings would be a foregone conclusion -  and that the causes of similar acts of violence that will be  unleashed after the next  presidential elections, are also foregone conclusions, when the root causes have not been addressed  nor the grievances  ( Northern grievances  been given due attention at a time when the North is aggrieved about perceived  injustice /s. Didn’t North governors  / council of Northern elders suggest that one way forward is  addressing the socioeconomic needs ( poverty ) of the North?

The ball is thus in the court of the president of all Nigerians.

We Sweden

segun ogungbemi

Apr 19, 2014, 11:51:08 AM4/19/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Ekhator Godfrey

Apr 19, 2014, 4:19:09 PM4/19/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,
Sincerely you did not get the logic behind my post explicitly. I
mentioned three things, which as a non-sycophantic NIGERIAN, concerns
me.

One, I noted that THESE POLITICIANS ARE CONFUSED. You did not react.
If they are not, can you tell me one of them that has made public a
'Marshall Plan' to address the mirage of problems befalling NIGERIA?
Or which politician in Nigeria has a Short and long-term MANIFESTO to
take our country to the next level in the comity of nations? Not
recycling of woesssss!

Two, I posted some of those links were YOUR dear man, Buhari has been
previously indicted (you called it libel, well I don't know). My
reason for doing that was to tell rational Nigerians that these
CONFUSED POLITICIANS (YOUR MAN, BUHARI and his antagonists) want to
start another 'Blame Game' when our national security is at stake.
once that start the present tears will dry and everyone forget what
has happened, as usual Nigerians will go about there personal struggle
till another strike reminds them that the problem has not been
resolved.

Three, I do hope your have been following the trend of security
challenges and political maneuvering in Nigeria, so I will ask you: If
Buhari can sue PDP for libel, slander, etc, how many case will the
court should PDP also go to court to challenge the frivolous
accusations from Buhari's APC? Do you remember PDP sued a media
organisation this year? Given the links, how many media organisations
will Buhari sue to stop the acclaimed false or scandalous accusation?

My brother, without fear or favour my submission is still the same.
'How many litigation will solve the menace of BOKO HARAM?

Let us (you and I) think of a grand strategy to alleviate and
eventually solve our nations problem rather than being carried away by
'elitist propaganda'.

As for me, I assume that until GEJ and Buhari's children walk in our
streets like every other Nigerian does and share in this almost
everyday occurrence, these men might not rise up to the challenge and
act accordingly.
Regards.
> [...]
>> the grievances ( Northern grievances been given due attention at a time
>> when the North is aggrieved about perceived injustice /s. Didn’t North
>> governors / council of Northern elders suggest that one way forward is
>> addressing
>> the socioeconomic needs ( poverty ) of the North?
>>
>> The ball is thus in the court of the president of all Nigerians.
>>
>> *We Sweden <http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/corneliushamelberg/>*
>>

>> On Friday, 18 April 2014 23:20:21 UTC+2, Ekhator Godfrey wrote:
>>
>>> When will posterity judge our Nigerian politicians? They are so
>>> forgetful
>>> and very confused. Can someone show Rtd Gen. Buhari the following links:
>>> 1)
>>> https://www.facebook.com/hopefornigeria/photos/a.152919604766170.37823.
>>> 100484630009668/717278778330247/?type=1&relevant_count=1
>>> 2) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=
>>> web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEwQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%
>>> 2Fwww.hrw.org%2Fnews%2F2011%2F05%2F16%2Fnigeria-post-
>>> election-violence-killed-800&ei=gpJRU_-IN4uV7QblzYHIBw&usg=
>>> AFQjCNHUOGm80EMrQZHFsq87MM69gdrbXQ&sig2=s_9e4lUJt0mqwayayZ424A
>>> 3) "Post-election violence: FG panel report indicts Buhari on October
>>> 11, 2011 / in
>>> Headlines<http://www.vanguardngr.com/category/headlines/>
> Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/usaafricadialogue/nFQBu8Fz3yk/unsubscribe.

OLADMEJI ABORISADE

Apr 19, 2014, 8:16:20 PM4/19/14
to USAAfricaDialogue
AddItional COMMENTS: FROM: oladimeji  aborisade:     For this discussion, please refer to a book published by :Augustus Adebayo, on  Public Administration .  He cited the case of someone looking for employment.  In front of the interview panel, he said, please give me this job for six months  and I will be ready to quit for others.   He applied for a " Bus Driver" at Ibadan City Transport Group.   That is how  the minds of Nigerian Politicians work.    No thinking for the future. The quick thinking is chop and chop.    There are  several individual who categorized themselves as politicians but they are not  down to the bottom of their minds.  If   Buhari plans to run, public view may not stop him.  The same to IBB, and Atiku.    Right now, we do not  have a good working political system.   Our system only recycles  the difficult unproductive political rogues.  Unfortunately, Nigerians do not speak out enough.
Thank you,
oladimeji aborisade

> Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:19:09 +0100
> Subject: Re: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Re: FW: BUHARI ON THE BOKO HARAM LINK
> From: godga...@gmail.com
> To: usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 20, 2014, 5:55:16 PM4/20/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Sir Godfrey,

 I don’t want to get embroiled in the twaddle and the tittle-tattle of the usual debate.

“A good name is chosen above great wealth; good favor over silver and gold.” (Proverbs/Mishlei  22 :1)
I would always vote for a leadership and a leader who is not corrupt.

 My man Muhammadu Buhari has made himself clear.  His silence about the matter would be disgraceful and would only lead to his envious and corrupt detractors cooing that silence means consent and in his case, an admission of guilt. Muhammadu Buhari loves Nigeria and has also made good contributions to the nation known as Nigeria and his good name which has never been associated with corruption should not  now be tarnished by any vile and insane accusations that he is a godfather or the godfather of the notorious Boko Haram.

We’ve been halfway down the slippery slope before.

The greatest woe that could befall us would be a Nigeria in which

    “Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.”

 Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

In my view, one of the notions that should be adumbrated in the forthcoming national conference is the need for the North to co-operate with the South and the South with the North, the East with the West, the West with the East, the Middle Belt  with all directions of the compass  - as one nation under God, united we stand, divided we fall...

Sincerely said,

Cornelius

 We Sweden