Fwd: [Raayiriga] NIGERIA A NATION AT THE FORK ON THE ROAD: WHICH WAY FORWARD-Idowu Awosika

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Apr 18, 2014, 8:05:08 PM4/18/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Idowu Awosika <idow...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Subject: [Raayiriga] NIGERIA A NATION AT THE FORK ON THE ROAD: WHICH WAY FORWARD-Idowu Awosika
To: "yodum...@gmail.com" <yodum...@gmail.com>, Adeniran Adeboye <aade...@mac.com>, "ayooju...@yahoo.com" <ayooju...@yahoo.com>, Chucks <agw...@yahoo.com>, "employ...@aol.com" <employ...@aol.com>, "erica...@aol.co.uk" <erica...@aol.co.uk>, "i...@usa.net" <i...@usa.net>, "Mobolaji E. Aluko" <alu...@gmail.com>, "niger...@yahoogroups.com" <niger...@yahoogroups.com>, "odide...@yahoo.com" <odide...@yahoo.com>, "odide...@gmail.com" <odide...@gmail.com>, Pius Adesanmi <piusad...@yahoo.com>, "raay...@yahoogroups.com" <raay...@yahoogroups.com>, RAZAQ OLADOSU <alare...@gmail.com>, Seyi Olu Awofeso <seyiolu...@gmail.com>, "talkn...@yahoogroups.com" <TalkN...@yahoogroups.com>, "yana...@yahoogroups.com" <yana...@yahoogroups.com>, "yod...@hotmail.com" <yod...@hotmail.com>, "Omo...@yahoogroups.com" <Omo...@yahoogroups.com>, "nigerianw...@yahoogroups.com" <NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com>, "niger...@yahoogroups.com" <niger...@yahoogroups.com>

NIGERIA A NATION AT THE FORK ON THE ROAD: WHICH WAY FORWARD-Idowu Awosika

“Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures.”

Fellow Nigerians, for anyone to say all is well with Nigeria today, the individual must be living in fool’s paradise. The situation in Nigeria today can be likened to a country undergoing auto destruction which final outcome if not stave off will be internal implosion.

The caustic rhetoric and behaviors of the current leaders at the helm of affairs at all level in the country portend much worse things to come. We’ve heard many calls from different quarters for statesmen to speak up.  Who is a statesman, I will borrow from Dr. J. Rufus Fears characterization of a statesman. First and foremost, Dr. Fears emphasized that politicians and statesman are not the same thing. Dr. Fears characterized statesman to be someone who is not a tyrant, free leader of free people and most possess the following four critical qualities: Bedrock of principles; moral compass; vision; and the ability to build a consensus to achieve that vision. Men and women of these qualities are very rare in Nigeria today.

Nigeria is wrestling against ethnic/tribal principalities, ignoramus power, rulers in darkness and spiritual and physical wickedness in high governmental places. The most pressing issue today and that has put the country in lockdown for the past four years was President Jonathan election as the president of Nigeria and the Northern politicians discontentment that they were robbed of their rotated 4 year two terms after 8 years of a Southern president. This discontentment of the far Muslim North and the entitlement cry and phobia of the South/South people of Nigeria has further heat up the polity of the country to a breaking point. While the socio-political clime is boiling, Boko Haram and looting without compunction had made the country slide to total internal implosion a matter of when and not if.

The most troubling issue which put Nigerians at the fork of the road is while Nigerians are tired of, and not comfortable to put GEJ/PDP in charge of the country for another 4 years. The opposition parties provided Nigerians no better alternative. The current most dominant opposition party is a conglomeration of PDP rejects and a party led by a strongman whose corruption was described by the Czar of Nigerian anti-corruption agency “is of international dimension.”

My view is, the nation’s polity has passed the point of redemption and no arrangement can succeed unless human beings are giving the right to exercise their freedom or see values in the reasons of their existence in a group.

“All progress in human race is based upon the universal innate desire on the part of every human to aspire beyond their ability.” The current system and arrangement breeds incompetence and nincompoops. Our current structure is stifling abilities and driving out intelligent and productive Nigerians to other countries. I repeat with more clarity and without any ambiguity, no country can develop or be productive when the majority of its productive adults are either out of the country and those in the country are in a state of despondency.

“I love Nigeria, I no go lie.”

Because of my love for the country Nigeria and my desire to see a country that lives up to his potential, I am putting forward this road map for consideration:

1.    1.  The whole country should support the ongoing Confab to come up with new constitution for the country that restructure the country and devolve power from the center to the regions making the center unattractive.

2.    2. Formation of interim national government to be headed by the current occupant of Aso Rock till 2016 with no option to seek re-election. It is my view that if Mr. Jonathan is a patriot and love Nigeria as a country, he will put Nigeria first and accept this compromise arrangement instead of listening to his advisers, whose main interest is the trappings and perks associated with their positions

3.    3.  The members of the interim government shall be non-partisan and will be banned from contesting for any elected position in 2016.

4.    4. Formation of two new main political parties which would be funded by the federal government.

I do not pray or wish for a violent separation of the country because this will create both economical and social disaster all over the continent of Africa. There is too much distrust, dissension and disdain for each other that the best solution now is to try other arrangements. This is the time, as honest and patriotic Nigerians, to disencumber ourselves from this failed current disoblige status quo that leads to no specified destination. A word is enough for the wise.

In closing, I must resort to what may seem a redundant frame of reference that has however stood the test of time… "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

Pronto!!!
Idowu
"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." --Thomas Jefferson
"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest." -- Elie Wiesel

.