Veteran African-American firms join forces on behalf of the U.S. Army

Brooke Rowe

Dec 24, 2001, 4:10:51 PM12/24/01
Veteran African-American firms join forces on behalf of the U.S. Army

(EXCERPT) By Courtesy of The Caraway Group

Two African-American firms: The Caraway Group and Walls Communications
announce a unique partnership designed to represent the U.S. Army
Recruiting Command and promote its advertising campaign, “An Army of
One.”

Two African-American firms: The Caraway Group and Walls Communications
announce a unique partnership designed to represent the U.S. Army
Recruiting Command and promote its advertising campaign, “An Army of
One.”

“The U.S. Army welcomes these firms,” said Colonel Thomas Nickerson,
Director of Advertising and Public Affairs for Army Recruiting
Command. “Their solid track records and exceptional abilities to reach
diverse audiences will be especially helpful to our ongoing efforts in
communicating with the American people.”

The two firms join forces with Manning, Selvage & Lee (MS&L), the lead
Public Relations firm for the Army. Leo Burnett is the primary
marketing and advertising agency.

“This is a great fit for the Army and its recruiting efforts and for
Manning Selvage & Lee,” said Douglas Smith, vice president and account
director for MS&L. “Each of these firms have strong track records on
major PR assignments for the federal government, industry and advocacy
groups.

They add significant expertise with the African-American community to
our core team -- expertise that would be hard to find anywhere else.”

"We are excited to have two such experienced firms join the Army team.

The talents and insights that Walls and Caraway will bring to the team
will be invaluable," said Ray DeThorne, E.V.P., account director for
the U.S.

Army business at Leo Burnett.

“The Caraway Group welcomes the opportunity to help build awareness
about the new Army and the incredible opportunities it has to offer
for today’s young men and woman, particularly now,” said Yolanda
Caraway, president of The Caraway Group. “The events of September 11th
have made it more important than ever to support and showcase our
military forces.”

“We are truly honored that the U.S. Army Recruiting Command has added
our agency to a team that includes the Caraway Group,” stated Lon
Walls, president of Walls Communications. “The combined capabilities
of our firms will ensure that the Army’s compelling messages are
conveyed to all Americans during these critical times.”

Based in Washington, DC, Walls Communications, Inc., was established
in 1993. The African-American owned firm provides crisis
communications, public relations and media relations services to a
wide range of clients, including AT&T, Burger King, Denny’s, Freddie
Mac (NYSE:FRE - news), Nike, National Council on Disability, NAACP,
National Urban League and Shell Oil.

The Caraway Group is a woman, minority-owned communications and event
management-consulting firm with offices in Washington, D.C. and Los
Angeles, Calif. For more than a decade, they have provided strategic
and effective communications and event counsel to clients in the
corporate, political, entertainment and non-profit sectors. Yolanda H.
Caraway has nearly 20 years of policy-making, project management and
national and international political experience.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/bv/20011224/co/veteran_african-american_firms_join_forces_on_behalf_of_the_u_s_army_1.html

Brooke Rowe
Associate Librarian
The American War Library