New plugin - RoleRequirement

Tim Harper

Jul 23, 2007, 11:44:36 AM7/23/07
to ur...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I released another plugin today, RoleRequirement.  It builds on top of acts_as_authenticated to give you an easy way to define role-based permissions for your controller.  Also, it provides test helpers to make it as simple as possible to test your authentication.  Complete with rdoc documentation and examples.

I built this plugin because I wasn’t satisfied with the options out there.  They felt overkill to me, and some even wanted me to learn a new language.  RoleRequirement is simple but flexible, and leverages the power of ruby so you don’t have to learn a new language.

If any of you are feeling excited enough to try it, let me know what you think!  It’s been installed in several projects so far and is feature-complete, so you can proceed with relative ease.

http://code.google.com/p/rolerequirement/

Thanks,

Tim

Eric Berry

Jul 23, 2007, 11:50:46 AM7/23/07
to ur...@googlegroups.com
You rock Tim!

I was just looking for something like this for a large corporate site I'm building.

I'll test it and use it :D

Eric

Tim Harper

Jul 24, 2007, 3:41:50 PM7/24/07
to ur...@googlegroups.com

Sweet action Eric!  You’re a stallion.

Have you had a chance to try it out yet?  I had one guy install it and had an issue.  I’ve since fixed it and he’s been good to go with it.

Right now, I’m working on a few generators for it (to help generate the roles table and has_role? Action in the User model).  That’s not too far away from being released.

Let me know how it goes for you ;)

Tim

Eric Berry

Jul 24, 2007, 3:57:10 PM7/24/07
to ur...@googlegroups.com
I haven't added it yet, but I plan on having the whole app complete by mid next week. I actually need two different role based systems to work side by side. I have two different logins with different roles for each on the site I'm working on. When I used acts_as_authenticated, it would not allow reusable libraries for this. Does your generator also cover this issue by chance?

Eric

Tim Harper

Jul 24, 2007, 4:00:37 PM7/24/07
to ur...@googlegroups.com

Lets see, a user on your site can be logged in twice, in two different places, for the same application?

Eric Berry

Jul 24, 2007, 4:20:18 PM7/24/07
to ur...@googlegroups.com
No.. I am building an admin center for managing the site contents, and also a partners login so the partners can perform actions with the site.

Eric