UtahValley.rb is this Tuesday, July 13th, here's the scoop

phaedryx

Jul 11, 2010, 8:49:37 PM7/11/10
to Utah Ruby Users Group
Where:
Mozy Offices
2162 Grove Parkway #200
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062

When:
7:00 PM

What:
Engine Yard goodies, etc. by Tyler Bird
Presentation by Tad Thorley (probably an intro to game theory)
Presentation by Mike Moore on how to do podcasts, screencasts, etc.
Presentation by Michael Jackson on MacRuby, if he can make it,
elsewise it will be a presentation by Jarod Reid on Ruby C-extensions.

Some snacks, sodas, etc. will be available, but no pizza this time.
Be there or be lame.

David Brady

Jul 13, 2010, 1:24:16 PM7/13/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Just wanted to let people know that, since I promised Michael J.I. Jackson I'd come last month and didn't, and then told Mike Moore I'd come to his talk at Agile Roots and didn't, that I am buying the pizza for uv.rb tonight.

And since I'm genuinely sorry, I'm picking up Nicolitalia's pizza.

So if you want a good uv.rb and some fantastic pizza, you must be present to win!

Hope to see you guys there,

David

--
Utah Ruby Users Group
ur...@googlegroups.com

** Please prefix your subject with "[JOB]" if your message is about job opportunities.

--
David Brady
ratg...@gmail.com

Mike Moore

Jul 13, 2010, 1:28:42 PM7/13/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM, David Brady <ratg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey all,

Just wanted to let people know that, since I promised Michael J.I. Jackson I'd come last month and didn't, and then told Mike Moore I'd come to his talk at Agile Roots and didn't, that I am buying the pizza for uv.rb tonight.

And since I'm genuinely sorry, I'm picking up Nicolitalia's pizza.

I would normally prefer to crush you as an enemy, see you driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of your women; but Nicolitalia's will have to do.

Tim Harper

Jul 13, 2010, 1:28:36 PM7/13/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM, David Brady <ratg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just wanted to let people know that, since I promised Michael J.I. Jackson
> I'd come last month and didn't, and then told Mike Moore I'd come to his
> talk at Agile Roots and didn't, that I am buying the pizza for uv.rb
> tonight.
>
> And since I'm genuinely sorry, I'm picking up Nicolitalia's pizza.
>
> So if you want a good uv.rb and some fantastic pizza, you must be present to
> win!
>
> Hope to see you guys there,
>
> David

David and Chuck get 1,000 awesome points each for letting me tag along
in their carpool. I'll be there.

Michael Jackson

Jul 13, 2010, 2:13:26 PM7/13/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
David,

In case you haven't noticed, I'm no longer using my two middle
initials to distinguish myself from that other Michael Jackson in my
email sig. He's dead. Geez, I can't believe you still used them.

Ah well, you're bring my absolute favorite pizza, so all is forgiven. ;)

--
Michael Jackson
http://mjijackson.com

Michael Jackson

Jul 13, 2010, 2:19:35 PM7/13/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Oh, BTW: If anyone has a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter they can
bring tonight, I would be much obliged if you would bring it. I don't
have one, and trying to present from someone else's laptop is always a
bit difficult.

kthxbye

--
Michael Jackson
http://mjijackson.com

Mike Moore

Jul 13, 2010, 3:39:39 PM7/13/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
I'll bring one.

David Brady

MMoulton

Jul 14, 2010, 10:51:10 AM7/14/10
to Utah Ruby Users Group
I went to the Mozy offices last night at 7, and didn't see anyone
there. Is there a hidden doorway behind a bookshelf or something that
leads to the meeting room?

Mike Moore

Jul 14, 2010, 12:00:49 PM7/14/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM, MMoulton <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
I went to the Mozy offices last night at 7, and didn't see anyone
there. Is there a hidden doorway behind a bookshelf or something that
leads to the meeting room?

Sorry about that. There was a phone number posted in the window to get in after 7:00. The doors lock at 7:00 and so someone needs to come down and open the door. But we had people calling to get in late. How long did you wait?

Brad Midgley

Jul 14, 2010, 1:04:11 PM7/14/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Hey

> Sorry about that. There was a phone number posted in the window to get in
> after 7:00. The doors lock at 7:00 and so someone needs to come down and
> open the door. But we had people calling to get in late. How long did you
> wait?

Maybe add to the announcement that there is a paper with a phone
number on the locked door of the Mozy building. btw, the map link on
the google groups site was rendering on iphone about 1/2 mile off and
your gps might not have this road if you haven't updated your maps...
from memory this is probably closer. http://bit.ly/bs234V

Thanks guys, it was an awesome meeting.

--
Brad Midgley

Michael Jackson

Jul 15, 2010, 3:05:22 PM7/15/10
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Here's a working example of the MacRuby "Hello World" demo I tried to
run Tuesday night. It's largely based on the example in the
yet-to-be-published MacRuby book at http://macruby.labs.oreilly.com/,
so I can't take credit for most of it.

I still have no idea what was going wrong with it when I presented,
but I'm thinking it must have been some invisible voodoo character. I
had never commented out an entire program and still gotten a parsing
error until that demo. ;)

Thanks to everyone who came. It was fun.

--
Michael Jackson
http://mjijackson.com

hello.rb