I'd like to contribute to the project

Danilo Freitas

Feb 15, 2011, 7:09:53 PM2/15/11
to Unladen Swallow
Hi,

I would like to start contributing to Unladen Swallow, but I'm a
little lost on the project and the code.

I'd like some help to understand better the code and how it works. So,
I could start developing and contributing to the project.

I read the llvm_notes.txt, but I'm still confused.
I also asked for some help on IRC, but got nothing.

Can anyone help me on it?

I'd also like apply to Google Summer of Code. I tried last year with
Unladen Swallow, but it was too late, and I had no idea about the
project. But I hope this year I have more chances.

Thanks.

Reid Kleckner

Mar 16, 2011, 7:50:48 PM3/16/11
to Danilo Freitas, Unladen Swallow
Sorry to take a month to respond to this, I got it at a busy moment.
As you may have noticed from the other messages on this list, we've
kind of wound down. No one is working on unladen full time. If
you're interested in Python and performance, I'd approach the PyPy
guys instead.

Reid

Dan Stromberg

Mar 16, 2011, 8:34:50 PM3/16/11
to Reid Kleckner, Danilo Freitas, Unladen Swallow

Pypy's really looking great.  The C extensions aren't quite there, and I might have run up against a memory allocation bug related to pypy's ctypes.  But for pure python, pypy's looking pretty stellar.  It even appears to be passing most of the unit tests used for CPython.

Here's a performance comparison graph I did recently for a few different CPython's (with and without Cython, with and without Pysco), the latest Jython and a recent Pypy trunk.  Pypy blew away the others on this particular application's innermost loop:

--
Dan Stromberg

Danilo Freitas

Mar 16, 2011, 8:44:25 PM3/16/11
to Dan Stromberg, Reid Kleckner, Unladen Swallow
Thank you all for the answers.

After few days after sending this email, I talked to PyPy guys. They
are very active (mainly on irc) and it's a very nice project.
I'm getting involved with Codespeed (see speed.pypy.org), which is
also a very nice project.

Thanks you all.

2011/3/16 Dan Stromberg <stro...@gmail.com>:

--
- Danilo Freitas

Danilo Freitas

Mar 17, 2011, 1:30:55 PM3/17/11
to Jonathan Chen, Dan Stromberg, Reid Kleckner, Unladen Swallow
I guess not. I think PyPy uses CPython only to compare performance.

--
- Danilo Freitas

Jonathan Chen

Mar 17, 2011, 12:34:51 PM3/17/11
to Danilo Freitas, Dan Stromberg, Reid Kleckner, Unladen Swallow
Is PyPy planning to integrate into CPython like unladen swallow? I guess I should do some more reading on PyPy to see what it can do vs what it can't do.

~Jonathan C.

DasIch

Mar 17, 2011, 3:05:47 PM3/17/11
to Jonathan Chen, Danilo Freitas, Dan Stromberg, Reid Kleckner, Unladen Swallow
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Jonathan Chen <tamas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is PyPy planning to integrate into CPython like unladen swallow?
PyPy is a framework for writing interpreters, the actual Python
interpreter is an important part of the project but just a part.
Furthermore PyPy is written completely in (R)Python.

Given the different goals and the fact that both projects are very
different it makes no sense to integrate PyPy into CPython.

Dan Stromberg

Mar 17, 2011, 3:22:37 PM3/17/11
to Danilo Freitas, Jonathan Chen, Reid Kleckner, Unladen Swallow

...and sometimes folks will build PyPy using CPython.  I know I do - it appears to take less memory to build PyPy using CPython than to build PyPy using PyPy.
--
Dan Stromberg