Upper file size limit

Chaz

Sep 25, 2006, 10:30:44 AM9/25/06
to unix-basics
Hi all,

I work predominantly with SCO UnixWare.

This OS has a limitation that I may not be able to get over.

The problem is that UW will handle file sizes up to 1 terrabyte in
size, for interrogation and manipulation, but will not handle files
above 2Gb when added to or created using shell redirection.

eg cat file1 file2 >> file3 (where the total size of files 1 and 2 are
greater than 2Gb.)

The reason I require this is because the software I support uses c-isam
database, which has data and index files that are "added" to all the
time.

What I am looking for is a UNIX flavour that will allow shell
redirection out to a much larger file size.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,

Chaz.

Cameron Simpson

Sep 25, 2006, 8:45:56 PM9/25/06
to unix-...@googlegroups.com

Probably almost anything else, though you would need to check. However,
you may be able to simply compile a shell against the 64-bit open/close
calls (instead of the default, which typically remain at the 32-bit
interface for binary API layer reasons).

So either get another UNIX (eg Linux or Solaris etc), or compile a new
shell. Try downloading the bash source and building it with 64-bit
support (which I expect it will do, but have never tried myself).

It really is just about that easy.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

This expedition is a can of worms, and they open a new can every day.