Affordable?

Patricia Littlefield

Feb 3, 2010, 4:59:21 PM2/3/10
to Unite Our District: Vote No
The city of Newburgh has a 59million budget. Police, Fire, etc is
taken care of for1mil less than the New Paltz school district. My
brother in law is on a town board in a medium sized town in SC and
their total budget is 17mil to cover police, fire, garbage, offices
etc. Now what in the world can absorb 60mil in one year and we are
still told it is not enough? What IS enough? I believe you could run
this school on 30mil or maybe even less so where does all this money
go? Where did the maintenance money go? Are the administrators
salaries so high that there is no money left to buy roofing material?
You get the gist of my complaint. This monster has to be reigned in.
I cannot make money fast enough as this school spends it. When the
budget eventually hits 100mil will that be enough? I doubt it.

When I first came up here to teach in the Kingston school system ,
way back in '68 (I only lasted three years I might add) I remember
having a conversation with my supervisor. After one year of teaching
I was given a budget for the supplies I needed for the following
year. When I turned in the list it was LESS than the budget given to
me. My supervisor told me "if you don't spend it all we cannot ask
for more next year". This I am afraid is the attitude of most of the
districts in the area and perhaps state or even nation wide. She
didn't ask if I NEEDED any more supplies but said if I didn't spend it
she would give the left over budget money to another teacher to
spend. This is what we are up against, wants against realistic
needs. We HAVE to ask for MORE! So when the budget goes up, I and
all other taxpayers get a cut in their salaries. Where do we go to get
MORE???

I am now 69 and have had no children in this system or any other
yet I am being driven into the ground by the ever raising cost of
govt., schools, DEC, state, gas tax, fuel tax, etc. There is never
enough and all of this is done in the name of "helping people". I can
barely afford to live here anymore but I refuse to be driven from my
home by "giddy progressives". We are experiencing what "giddy
progressives" are capable on the national level but don't need that
here. This is why I will vote NO on bond issues or any other budgets
until this massive spending is brought under control. I also have
wants along with needs but I have to see to my necessary needs first.
Surviving in my home is a priority.

Allen K. Littlefield

traderj...@aol.com

Feb 3, 2010, 11:13:51 PM2/3/10
to uniteourdis...@googlegroups.com
I could not agree with you more. It is all out of control. The administrators get incredible salaries. You can find out what they are. The numbers are in the Board of Ed. minutes each year. Why does the Supt. need 2 assistants? Why are there 4 or 5 Assistant Supt.'s? All these Administrators and they still cannot do things right. Too much. I work for the district and live in it. I am voting NO! I soon won't be able to afford it here.