Re: [UML Forum] class diagrams in lieu of component diagrams?

H. S. Lahman

Apr 29, 2013, 10:32:56 AM4/29/13
to umlf...@googlegroups.com
Responding to dotnetguy...

> Hello - When I use UML for conceptual diagrams, class diagrams feel
> like the most useful and descriptive UML diagram to use. I feel like
> I can use class diagrams descriptively and consistently with pretty
> good success. It seems like a class diagram can be used instead of a
> component diagram in most scenarios. Do you agree? For example, this
> afternoon I was studying TOGAF and came across their "data
> disemination diagram":

The difference lies primarily in scale or level of abstraction.
Component Diagrams are used primarily to describe the large scale
organization of the application at the system and subsystem level. The
Class Diagram is typically used to describe the design of individual
subsystems.

Historical note. The CD was added to UML later than other diagrams.
Originally one described systems and subsystems in a Package Diagram.
But the semantics was inconsistent because a PD is about model elements
while subsystems have subject matter semantics. So the CD was added to
fix that.

-- Schopenhauer

Imagine how much more difficult physics would be if electrons had feelings
-- Richard Feynman

Rene Descartes went into a bar. The bartender asked if he would like a drink. Descartes said, "I think not," and disappeared.

H. S. Lahman
H.la...@verizon.net
software blog: http://pathfinderpeople.blogs.com/hslahman/index.html
software book: Model Based Development, Addison-Wesley, 2011
geology book: The Evolution and Utilization of Marine Resources, MIT Press, 1972

dotnetguy

Jun 20, 2013, 12:06:44 AM6/20/13
to umlf...@googlegroups.com
wow - thanks for the expert feedback!