UML, Embedded Systems And Netconf/Yang

David Glaser

May 17, 2013, 11:08:51 PM5/17/13
to umlf...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience in modeling an embedded system using UML and then
  1. generating Yang (Netconf modeling language)to drive the Managment aspect of the system (configuration data, notifications, statistics, ...)
  2. Generating as much of the embedded application as possible (the state machines, ...)
  3. Generating other things ...

The reason I ask is that configuration data drives the behavior of the applications in the embedded system.  The state machines/activities in turn generate key performance indicators in addition to providing the required functionality.  It would be nice to synthesize as much as possible of the implementation.

Then there is the issue that embedded systems are now generating, as a by product of their functionality, a lot of data.  For example, DNS servers that need to detect anomalous behavior generated by a botnet, will generate lots of data.  This requires modeling of the kpi generation, data reduction and then analysis (all of which has to happen in real time).

So if you have any opinions, experience, or know of places that deal with this issue, please speak up.

-David Glaser

Rafael Soteldo

May 20, 2013, 12:36:58 PM5/20/13
to umlf...@googlegroups.com
Thank you David...

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "UML Forum" group.

Atentamente,

Rafael Soteldo

H. S. Lahman

May 21, 2013, 11:37:49 AM5/21/13
to umlf...@googlegroups.com
Responding to Glaser...

Sorry I am tardy in responding to this. I cleverly misfiled it.

I didn't do Yang. However, I suggest that you check out the PathMate tool (http://www.pathfindersolutions.com). That tool is template-based, so all (!) you need are templates to do whatever your want. For example, out of the box PathMate can generate C++, C, Java, or MS Word documentation from the UML model.

The reason I ask is that configuration data drives the behavior of the applications in the embedded system.  The state machines/activities in turn generate key performance indicators in addition to providing the required functionality.  It would be nice to synthesize as much as possible of the implementation.

Using external configuration data to deal with details while encoding invariants in the application is SOP nowadays. So the management of the input data would be in the model (abstractly) already. You just need to "paint" those artifacts in the translation rules so the correct templates are invoked to provide any more aesthetic documentation.

The same is essentially true for things like performance indicators or whatever.

Then there is the issue that embedded systems are now generating, as a by product of their functionality, a lot of data.  For example, DNS servers that need to detect anomalous behavior generated by a botnet, will generate lots of data.  This requires modeling of the kpi generation, data reduction and then analysis (all of which has to happen in real time).

I am not sure what you are after here. The model will already have all of the infrastructure needed to produce any output data. You can use templates to document that any way you want. I am beginning to suspect that you are using some tool set that does not do full code generation form the models and you are looking to somehow document that with the models themselves.

   -- Schopenhauer

Imagine how much more difficult physics would be if electrons had feelings
   -- Richard Feynman

Rene Descartes went into a bar. The bartender asked if he would like a drink. Descartes said, "I think not," and disappeared.

H. S. Lahman
H.la...@verizon.net
software blog: http://pathfinderpeople.blogs.com/hslahman/index.html
software book: Model Based Development, Addison-Wesley, 2011
geology book: The Evolution and Utilization of Marine Resources, MIT Press, 1972