Re: [UML Forum] Modeling data changes within a structure

Phillip Chudley

May 25, 2013, 12:35:05 PM5/25/13
to umlf...@googlegroups.com
State Machine

transitions/triggers for UI events

effects on transitions for DB changes

Phil Chudley

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: Mac Sanders <sa...@centrum.cz>
Date: 25/05/2013 17:05 (GMT+00:00)
To: umlf...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [UML Forum] Modeling data changes within a structure

Dear peers & colleagues,

I would like to ask for your views on, or how you would go about, modeling data changes within a data structure as a consequence of a user event. Modeling as in UML modeling of course, but simply anything more visually appealing or clue-providing is allowed as well.:-)

The context: assume a data structure which in itself is not overly complex, just a bunch of integers, doubles and strings with straightforward relations, amendable by the user via UI; what IS complex about it, however, is the set of business rules being imposed upon it. This is a legacy code, the takeover has not been a friendly one (you can't simply go and ask the authors what they'd put inside) and the only way to check if it adheres to those rules is to perform actions in the ui and then see what changes are being made in the underlying db tables. And these are the changes that I would like to have captured, in a visually 'attractive' manner perhaps.

I already have a couple of ideas but I believe more can come up within this community ...

Mac

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "UML Forum" group.