Where do I save modifications to k/b?

SpokaneDude

May 14, 2012, 10:53:34 AM5/14/12
to Ukelele Users
I made my changes to the default k/b (I changed the one that was
displayed when I started Ukelele)... question is: where do I save it
so it is the default keyboard?

Sorin Paliga

May 15, 2012, 1:48:04 AM5/15/12
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
First of all, save it somewhere in your normal location for your files, e.g. Documents. When done, move it to /Library/Keyboard Layouts, log out and log in again, then go to System Preferences/Language and Text (it was labelled International on older Mac OS X systems), then Input Menu, and activate it.
You may wish a find a suggestive icns file to put it together with the .keylayout file, otherwise you will have a generic greyish icon. The icns file must have the same name as the .keylayout file to be associated by the system.

Mathias Bynens

May 15, 2012, 3:06:37 AM5/15/12
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, here’s a more detailed explanation of the various possible
locations of your custom keyboard layouts, and the practical
differences between them.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/45402/4408

I always keep my layouts in /Library/Keyboard Layouts because that way
they’re installed system-wide, and I can then make them the system
default.

Regards,
Mathias

SpokaneDude

May 16, 2012, 9:18:46 AM5/16/12
to Ukelele Users
I did as you suggested... the file is named "custom.keylayout" and is
in the Library/Keyboard Layouts folder... when I went to activate it,
the US keyboard has a check and is greyed-out, but my new one has a
dark check next to it. I restarted, and nothing! What am I doing
wrong?

Sorin Paliga

May 16, 2012, 10:33:27 AM5/16/12
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
U.S. keylayout is activated by default and cannot be checked out unless you activate another system keylayout, i.e. one included in the system, the list is long. You may use yours as a second keylayout and you may add as many as you wish, U.S. will remain active, but you may eliminate it as soon as you add another Apple-blessed keylayout.
In order to make yours a default sys keylayout, follow the other suggestion already posted here.

SpokaneDude

May 16, 2012, 2:35:44 PM5/16/12
to Ukelele Users
So "how" do you create an "Apple-blessed keylayout"? I followed all
of the instructions previously posted... nothing happened!

Behnam

May 16, 2012, 2:46:35 PM5/16/12
to Ukelele Users
The keylayout you create should have a different name from the one the
system already has, and should have a distinct identity number
assigned to it. Ukelele usually does the numbering but the name (which
is not the same thing as the file name and it will be recorded inside
the keylaout file) should be different form the one already in the
system.

Sorin Paliga

May 16, 2012, 2:41:15 PM5/16/12
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I do not know how to do this, theoretically this is an Apple mechanism. But you can add your keylayout as an additional keylayout. What is wrong with this? Or am I missing something?

SpokaneDude

May 16, 2012, 6:17:00 PM5/16/12
to Ukelele Users
I found the answer... there is a flag in the top menu bar... clicking
it allows me to change the keylayout...thanks for your help...