FRITZ!Box

adrian_...@yahoo.com

Aug 25, 2006, 1:56:18 PM8/25/06
Can someone help with some advice and information with the FRITZ!Box
range of products.

All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL interface. I do
not utilize DSL I am on a cable connection. Does this matter? Can I
ignore the DSL function?

Is the wireless function on the two upper range models compatible with
a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is the wireless computing
standard universal?

Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a UK Standard
PSTN line.

This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the voltages (Ringing,
speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK standard voltages? Are they
configurable should I want to utilize US kit?

The specs describe the VoIP ports as fax compatible. What does this
mean? Would I have to use a service that conforms to the correct Fax
standards?

What are the units' power supply voltages? Are the power supply
connections the normal 'tip and ring' arrangements? I will have to
purchase a 120v converter.

Many thanks

Adrian.

Jono

Aug 25, 2006, 2:45:42 PM8/25/06
After serious thinking adrian_...@yahoo.com wrote :

> Can someone help with some advice and information with the FRITZ!Box
> range of products.
>
> All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL interface.

All the ones sold in the UK seem to.

> I do not utilize DSL I am on a cable connection. Does this matter? Can I
> ignore the DSL function?

Looking at <http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_wlan>,
the main difficulty is that you've only got one ethernet port. You
could perhaps use wireless or the usb port to connect your PC & the
ethernet for the connection to the cable modem(?) The DSL part can be
disabled, though you'll have to wait for an expert to come along!

You would be far better off trying to get hold of
<http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.html>
as they have both a WAN & a LAN port and add a wireless access point.
I'm beggered if I can find a UK supplier, though.

> Is the wireless function on the two upper range models compatible with
> a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is the wireless computing
> standard universal?

Yes. The channel selected by you would differ depending on which
country you're in.

> Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a UK Standard
> PSTN line.

Yes.

> This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the voltages (Ringing,
> speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK standard voltages? Are they
> configurable should I want to utilize US kit?

I would be amazed if they weren't.

> The specs describe the VoIP ports as fax compatible. What does this
> mean? Would I have to use a service that conforms to the correct Fax
> standards?

Yes. Not all VoIP ITSPs are equal in this respect. I have successfully
sent & received many faxes using Sipgate, for instance, however,
internetcalls.com doesn't seem to work.

> What are the units' power supply voltages? Are the power supply
> connections the normal 'tip and ring' arrangements? I will have to
> purchase a 120v converter.

If you buy from Sipgate.co.uk, they'll have the correct power adapters
for the UK.......(I'm sure)

Jono

Aug 25, 2006, 2:51:37 PM8/25/06
After serious thinking adrian_...@yahoo.com wrote :

> Can someone help with some advice and information with the FRITZ!Box
> range of products.

> All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL interface.

All the ones sold in the UK seem to.

> I do not utilize DSL I am on a cable connection. Does this matter? Can I
> ignore the DSL function?

Looking at <http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_wlan>,

the main difficulty is that you've only got one ethernet port. You could
perhaps use wireless or the usb port to connect your PC & the ethernet for
the connection to the cable modem(?) The DSL part can be disabled, though
you'll have to wait for an expert to come along!

You would be far better off trying to get hold of
<http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.html> as
they have both a WAN & a LAN port and add a wireless access point. I'm
beggered if I can find a UK supplier, though.

> Is the wireless function on the two upper range models compatible with
> a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is the wireless computing
> standard universal?

Yes. The channel selected by you would differ depending on which country
you're in.

> Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a UK Standard
> PSTN line.

Yes.

> This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the voltages (Ringing,
> speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK standard voltages? Are they
> configurable should I want to utilize US kit?

I would be amazed if they weren't.

> The specs describe the VoIP ports as fax compatible. What does this
> mean? Would I have to use a service that conforms to the correct Fax
> standards?

Yes. Not all VoIP ITSPs are equal in this respect. I have successfully sent

& received many faxes using Sipgate, for instance, however,
internetcalls.com doesn't seem to work.

> What are the units' power supply voltages? Are the power supply
> connections the normal 'tip and ring' arrangements? I will have to
> purchase a 120v converter.

If you buy from Sipgate.co.uk, they'll have the correct power adapters for
the UK.......(I'm sure)

Stuart Millington

Aug 25, 2006, 4:10:38 PM8/25/06
[Without repeating what Jono has already replied to]

On 25 Aug 2006 10:56:18 -0700, adrian_...@yahoo.com wrote:

>All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL interface. I do
>not utilize DSL I am on a cable connection. Does this matter? Can I
>ignore the DSL function?

Probably not with a UK cable connection. Don't know what US ISP's
provide.

Firstly, TW/NTL cable modems do not function as routers, so adding two
ethernet devices via a switch/hub doesn't normally work. You would
need an auxiliary router between the modem and other devices.

Secondly, I would not expect the gateway for WAN routing (on the
Fritz! boxes) to be switchable to a LAN port. Higher-end kit can do
this, but it is very rare on SOHO kit. Even if you could do it, you
would still need the auxiliary router.

You'd be better off with an ATA - AVM Fritz! or otherwise - along with
the router.

IMO, you may want to look at something like a Draytek Vigor 2100V /
2100VG at £79/89+vat which includes the requisite router and VoIP
facilities.
UK: http://www.seg.co.uk/

>Is the wireless function on the two upper range models compatible with
>a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is the wireless computing
>standard universal?

802.11a/b/g are. 802.11n is not yet, IIRC, standardised and neither
are any of the "super duper speed boost 108Mbps" fake^Wvariants.

>Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a UK Standard
>PSTN line.

TW/NTL provide a standard PSTN line (aside from Bellcore CLIP) -
unless the NV, US IP address that Google says is your posting IP is
accurate, in which case your cable modem may be completely different
than the TW/NTL one(s) mentioned above.

>This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the voltages (Ringing,
>speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK standard voltages? Are they
>configurable should I want to utilize US kit?

Most telecoms kit is "internationalised" these days, usually by
software/firmware with the same hardware for most markets. If you can
find what you want from a non-gray, sorry grey ;-), US supplier it
should be fine for both US lines and power.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailto:ph...@dsv1.co.uk http://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -

Jono

Aug 25, 2006, 6:43:41 PM8/25/06
Jono explained on 25/08/2006 :

> You would be far better off trying to get hold of
> <http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.html> as they
> have both a WAN & a LAN port and add a wireless access point. I'm beggered if
> I can find a UK supplier, though.

Well, surprise, surprise
<http://www.advancedts.com/index.html?lmd=38925.697801>

Ivor Jones

Aug 25, 2006, 9:10:04 PM8/25/06

<adrian_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Can someone help with some advice and information with
> the FRITZ!Box range of products.

As a long term user and having written reviews on one or two of them, I'll
try ;-)

> All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL
> interface. I do not utilize DSL I am on a cable
> connection. Does this matter? Can I ignore the DSL
> function?

Actually there is a device without the ADSL modem, but it isn't widely
available in the UK. With the latest firmware though the internal modem
can be disabled.

> Is the wireless function on the two upper range models
> compatible with a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is
> the wireless computing standard universal?

Pretty much, although some countries restrict the RF channels that can be
used.

> Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a
> UK Standard PSTN line.

There is an option to set your region, this sets all parameters to the
correct ones for your region. It isn't a comprehensive list of parameters
as for devices such as the Sipura range, but a simple list of countries.
The US isn't currently listed, but there is an option "other country"
which might work, but I would advise you contact AVM tech support direct
to ask, they are very quick to respond as a rule, I've found.

> This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the
> voltages (Ringing, speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK
> standard voltages? Are they configurable should I want
> to utilize US kit?

See above re. regional settings.

> The specs describe the VoIP ports as fax compatible.
> What does this mean? Would I have to use a service that
> conforms to the correct Fax standards?

Most VoIP providers in the UK don't support the T.38 fax protocol over a
VoIP connection (I suppose it should be called FoIP), if you need fax you
should check your provider supports T.38. I have successfully sent and
received faxes using the G711a protocol but it isn't guaranteeed.

> What are the units' power supply voltages? Are the power
> supply connections the normal 'tip and ring'
> arrangements? I will have to purchase a 120v converter.

The units come with a PSU rated to suit the country in which they are
sold. If there is an official US distributor then you will get a suitable
unit, otherwise you may have to get a converter, although many PSU's these
days will run on anything from 100 to 240V.

AVM's website is at www.avm.de/en - click on the relevant link for
support.

Hope this helps,

Ivor

Jono

Aug 26, 2006, 11:27:36 AM8/26/06
Ivor Jones has brought this to us :

> Actually there is a device without the ADSL modem, but it isn't widely
> available in the UK. With the latest firmware though the internal modem can
> be disabled.

Is this the right one for cable?
<http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=71&products_id=783>

I might even get one myself.

Can one perform 6 digit local dialling with it?

Ivor Jones

Aug 26, 2006, 12:06:16 PM8/26/06
"Jono" <noth...@notonyournelly.blueyonder.com.co.uk> wrote
in message

That's the one. You can't use a dial plan as per the Sipuras, but you can
specify your local code, which is inserted automatically for any number
not beginning with the digit normally used for dialling out of the area,
i.e. 0 in the UK. This works in that you can do local dialling for local
PSTN numbers, but has the side effect of not allowing direct dial of SIP
ID's, you would (sometimes) have to dial the full PSTN number.

For my Birmingham 0121-314 number, this isn't a problem when dialling
other 314 numbers, but for SIP numbers not beginning 0121 you have to dial
the full PSTN number, as 0121 gets inserted automatically and would result
in a misdial if you tried dialling a number that wasn't an 0121 one. If
you see what I mean.

I've got used to it now, so when I'm dialling local London numbers from my
020 account, I just dial the 8 digit local number as if I were in London,
I don't have to remember if it's a SIP number or not.

Ask if you need any more info.

Ivor

Jono

Aug 26, 2006, 1:03:11 PM8/26/06
Ivor Jones wrote:

|| Ask if you need any more info.
|| Ivor

Thanks, Ivor. I'm certain I will..!

It will be for my Mum, who will not need to dial SIP IDs directly, so it
won't be a problem. Is it possible to translate a number? At the moment, I
have a Sipura set up for her that dials my SIP ID whenever she dials my
landline.

Are there any web interfaces that can be accessed online, that you're aware
of? I'd like to take a look.

Also, with it having a PSTN connection, can it behave in a similar way to
the spa3000, with PSTN pass through?

adrian_...@yahoo.com

Aug 28, 2006, 3:36:53 PM8/28/06

Jono wrote:
> After serious thinking adrian_...@yahoo.com wrote :
>
> > Can someone help with some advice and information with the FRITZ!Box
> > range of products.
>
> > All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL interface.
>
> All the ones sold in the UK seem to.
>

> > I do not utilize DSL I am on a cable connection. Does this matter? Can I
> > ignore the DSL function?
>
> Looking at <http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_wlan>,
> the main difficulty is that you've only got one ethernet port. You could
> perhaps use wireless or the usb port to connect your PC & the ethernet for
> the connection to the cable modem(?) The DSL part can be disabled, though
> you'll have to wait for an expert to come along!

Not much chance of that I'm afraid. But thanks for advising, Jono.

> You would be far better off trying to get hold of
> <http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.html> as
> they have both a WAN & a LAN port and add a wireless access point. I'm
> beggered if I can find a UK supplier, though.

That one looks interesting. Although, I could use more LAN ports.

> > Is the wireless function on the two upper range models compatible with
> > a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is the wireless computing
> > standard universal?
>
> Yes. The channel selected by you would differ depending on which country
> you're in.

Wireless is something I live without right now. I just figuered that
if a unit comes with it I may as well use it. My Notebook is Wireless
ready.

> > Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a UK Standard
> > PSTN line.
>
> Yes.

Thanks for confirming.

> > This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the voltages (Ringing,
> > speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK standard voltages? Are they
> > configurable should I want to utilize US kit?
>
> I would be amazed if they weren't.

The unit would be for UK lines used mainly in the US.

> > The specs describe the VoIP ports as fax compatible. What does this
> > mean? Would I have to use a service that conforms to the correct Fax
> > standards?
>
> Yes. Not all VoIP ITSPs are equal in this respect. I have successfully sent
> & received many faxes using Sipgate, for instance, however,
> internetcalls.com doesn't seem to work.

My current plan is to switch to (AQ). Just as soon as I can I will try
to send a faxtest fax thru their service. I need an unlocked ATA
first.

> > What are the units' power supply voltages? Are the power supply
> > connections the normal 'tip and ring' arrangements? I will have to
> > purchase a 120v converter.
>
> If you buy from Sipgate.co.uk, they'll have the correct power adapters for
> the UK.......(I'm sure)

The last time I received an ATA in the UK it was a Linsys. It came
with a power supply that had UK square pins built in. When I arrived
back in the US I picked up a new power supply @ Radio Shack. BTW,
thqat is NOT an endorsement. :-).

Again your contribution to my knowledge is appreciaed.

Cheers

Adrian.

adrian_...@yahoo.com

Aug 28, 2006, 4:35:54 PM8/28/06

Stuart Millington wrote:
> [Without repeating what Jono has already replied to]
>
> On 25 Aug 2006 10:56:18 -0700, adrian_...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL interface. I do
> >not utilize DSL I am on a cable connection. Does this matter? Can I
> >ignore the DSL function?
>
> Probably not with a UK cable connection. Don't know what US ISP's
> provide.
>
> Firstly, TW/NTL cable modems do not function as routers, so adding two
> ethernet devices via a switch/hub doesn't normally work. You would
> need an auxiliary router between the modem and other devices.

Charter Cable just provide an interface box. They call it a Modem, but
since it is a digital to digital device that is a misnomer.

> Secondly, I would not expect the gateway for WAN routing (on the
> Fritz! boxes) to be switchable to a LAN port. Higher-end kit can do
> this, but it is very rare on SOHO kit. Even if you could do it, you
> would still need the auxiliary router.

Which I have. I use a DLINK firewall/router immediately after the
Cable interface. Unfortunately I am running out of ports. :-)

> You'd be better off with an ATA - AVM Fritz! or otherwise - along with
> the router.

OK. I'll look into that approach. Currently I use a Linksys
router/ATA and three standalone Motorola ATAs. They are all locked. I
am looking to replace the Linksys with an unlocked device. Currently
the three ports on the Linksys are used by the ATAs. I don't have many
free LAN ports on the DLink.

> IMO, you may want to look at something like a Draytek Vigor 2100V /
> 2100VG at £79/89+vat which includes the requisite router and VoIP
> facilities.
> UK: http://www.seg.co.uk/

Thank you I will take a close look. This may be a good alternative.
However, I like the programmability of the Fritz!box.

> >Is the wireless function on the two upper range models compatible with
> >a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is the wireless computing
> >standard universal?
>
> 802.11a/b/g are. 802.11n is not yet, IIRC, standardised and neither
> are any of the "super duper speed boost 108Mbps" fake^Wvariants.

I am not sure what my Notebook uses. Currently I am happy with the
RJ45 connection to a LAN port on my DLink. I just figured if the
router/ATA comes with wireless it ought to be compatible.

> >Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a UK Standard
> >PSTN line.
>
> TW/NTL provide a standard PSTN line (aside from Bellcore CLIP) -
> unless the NV, US IP address that Google says is your posting IP is
> accurate, in which case your cable modem may be completely different
> than the TW/NTL one(s) mentioned above.

Well spotted :-). Charter Cable do provide telephone service. Just
now I am not sure that I need, or that I want to pay for it. I have
been VoIP only for several years.

> >This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the voltages (Ringing,
> >speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK standard voltages? Are they
> >configurable should I want to utilize US kit?
>
> Most telecoms kit is "internationalised" these days, usually by
> software/firmware with the same hardware for most markets. If you can
> find what you want from a non-gray, sorry grey ;-), US supplier it
> should be fine for both US lines and power.

The Linksys box I use at the moment is set up to UK standards (I
think). Next month I will be home in the UK. I plan to pick up some
UK telephones. But, it is worth thinking about other options.
> --
Thank you for your input
Adrian

adrian_...@yahoo.com

Aug 28, 2006, 4:39:16 PM8/28/06

The "Fritz Box Fon ata" looks like a possible. Some more LAN ports
would have been nice.

adrian_...@yahoo.com

Aug 28, 2006, 4:47:20 PM8/28/06

Ivor Jones wrote:
> <adrian_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone help with some advice and information with
> > the FRITZ!Box range of products.
>
> As a long term user and having written reviews on one or two of them, I'll
> try ;-)

Thank you. It was your recommendation that first started me thinking
about Fritz!boxes (Or, is it Fritz!boxen).

> > All of the Fritz!box models come with a built in DSL
> > interface. I do not utilize DSL I am on a cable
> > connection. Does this matter? Can I ignore the DSL
> > function?
>
> Actually there is a device without the ADSL modem, but it isn't widely
> available in the UK. With the latest firmware though the internal modem
> can be disabled.

The "fon ata" looks like a real possibility. I just wish it had more
LAN ports.

> > Is the wireless function on the two upper range models
> > compatible with a Notebook purchased in the US? I.e. is
> > the wireless computing standard universal?
>
> Pretty much, although some countries restrict the RF channels that can be
> used.

This feature is not a "must".

> > Can I ignore the PSTN input? I do not have access to a
> > UK Standard PSTN line.
>
> There is an option to set your region, this sets all parameters to the
> correct ones for your region. It isn't a comprehensive list of parameters
> as for devices such as the Sipura range, but a simple list of countries.
> The US isn't currently listed, but there is an option "other country"
> which might work, but I would advise you contact AVM tech support direct
> to ask, they are very quick to respond as a rule, I've found.

Again, this is not a "must have". I have been "VoIP only" for several
years.

> > This unit, I assume, comes from Germany. Are the

> > voltages (Ringing, speech, on-hook, etc) normal UK
> > standard voltages? Are they configurable should I want
> > to utilize US kit?
>
> See above re. regional settings.
>
> > The specs describe the VoIP ports as fax compatible.
> > What does this mean? Would I have to use a service that
> > conforms to the correct Fax standards?
>
> Most VoIP providers in the UK don't support the T.38 fax protocol over a
> VoIP connection (I suppose it should be called FoIP), if you need fax you
> should check your provider supports T.38. I have successfully sent and
> received faxes using the G711a protocol but it isn't guaranteeed.

Unfortunately I do need fax capability. I do not like the technology,
but I have contacts that sometime must have a fax.

> > What are the units' power supply voltages? Are the power
> > supply connections the normal 'tip and ring'
> > arrangements? I will have to purchase a 120v converter.
>
> The units come with a PSU rated to suit the country in which they are
> sold. If there is an official US distributor then you will get a suitable
> unit, otherwise you may have to get a converter, although many PSU's these
> days will run on anything from 100 to 240V.

Fritz!box have NO US presence that I am aware of. I would deal with
them by way of the UK. I can always have a family member forward an
item.

> AVM's website is at www.avm.de/en - click on the relevant link for
> support.

OK.

> Hope this helps,

Yes it does. All info. helps the decision making process.

Cheers

Adrian.

Stuart Millington

Aug 30, 2006, 2:46:09 AM8/30/06
On 28 Aug 2006 13:35:54 -0700, adrian_...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Which I have. I use a DLINK firewall/router immediately after the
>Cable interface. Unfortunately I am running out of ports. :-)

In which case, the cheapest/easiest option would be to plug a switch
into the router and plug the ATA's into that? I picked up an 8 port
GigE switch for about £40. For the same, or less, money you should get
a larger 10/100 switch.