Vodafone PAYG switch price plan reminder

1 view
Skip to the first unread message

Theo Markettos

24 Sept 2008, 16:36:2724/09/2008
At the beginning of September Vodafone moved most of their PAYG customers
onto the 'Simply' price plan, where Simply='more expensive'. This is a
particularly bad deal if you're on Stop The Clock, because it's just doubled
the cost of your StC calls.

This is just a quick reminder that you can switch back to Anynet before the
end of the month. It's simple and free - just dial 2345, options 3, 2, 1,
and 1. Haven't tested it yet but I'm now back on the Anynet plan.

Theo

Andy Pandy

26 Sept 2008, 15:57:1326/09/2008

"Theo Markettos" <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message

> At the beginning of September Vodafone moved most of their PAYG customers
> onto the 'Simply' price plan, where Simply='more expensive'. This is a
> particularly bad deal if you're on Stop The Clock, because it's just doubled
> the cost of your StC calls.

I thought they'd stopped STC with the new tariff?

They never moved my wife's - still on the old SmartPlus tariff which is
unbeatable for her usage.

But the new tariff is just bonkers, the same structure as everyone else's but
much more expensive. Why would anyone sign up for the Simply tariff when Asda is
less than half the price on the same network?

--
Andy

Theo Markettos

27 Sept 2008, 11:05:1727/09/2008
Andy Pandy <spam8...@wonderful.spam.invalid> wrote:

> "Theo Markettos" <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> > At the beginning of September Vodafone moved most of their PAYG
> > customers onto the 'Simply' price plan, where Simply='more expensive'.
> > This is a particularly bad deal if you're on Stop The Clock, because
> > it's just doubled the cost of your StC calls.
>
> I thought they'd stopped STC with the new tariff?

Only for new customers. If you signed up for STC before 1st September then
you can keep it. The recording says I'm on 'Anynet with Stop The Clock'. I
think it said 'Simply with STC' before I changed back.

> They never moved my wife's - still on the old SmartPlus tariff which is
> unbeatable for her usage.

I think they said it was only Anytime and Anynet people who got moved...

> But the new tariff is just bonkers, the same structure as everyone else's
> but much more expensive. Why would anyone sign up for the Simply tariff
> when Asda is less than half the price on the same network?

You might well ask...

Theo

alexd

27 Sept 2008, 14:56:0227/09/2008
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 16:05:17 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Andy Pandy <spam8...@wonderful.spam.invalid> wrote:

>> But the new tariff is just bonkers, the same structure as everyone
>> else's but much more expensive. Why would anyone sign up for the Simply
>> tariff when Asda is less than half the price on the same network?
>
> You might well ask...

Perhaps they're outsourcing their PAYG operation to ASDA by stealth?

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEs...@ale.cx)
19:55:04 up 6 days, 2:04, 1 user, load average: 4.26, 4.07, 4.02

Steve Terry

28 Sept 2008, 12:19:0228/09/2008

"alexd" <trof...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Steve Terry

28 Sept 2008, 12:23:0928/09/2008
"alexd" <trof...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 16:05:17 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:
>
>> Andy Pandy <spam8...@wonderful.spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> But the new tariff is just bonkers, the same structure as everyone
>>> else's but much more expensive. Why would anyone sign up for the Simply
>>> tariff when Asda is less than half the price on the same network?
>>
>> You might well ask...
>
> Perhaps they're outsourcing their PAYG operation to ASDA by stealth?

Orange outsourced their PAYG until 1996 when they realised it was
as if not more of a money maker than Contract.

Voda would have to be Nuts to outsource a money spinner like PAYG

What they have discovered, as have all the networks, is that PAYG
punters are too stupid to ask why they pay more for the real network

Steve Terry

Andy Pandy

28 Sept 2008, 14:55:1028/09/2008

"Steve Terry" <gFOU...@tesco.net> wrote in message

> >> You might well ask...
> >
> > Perhaps they're outsourcing their PAYG operation to ASDA by stealth?
> >

> Orange outsourced their PAYG until 1996 when they realised it was
> as if not more of a money maker than Contract.
>
> Voda would have to be Nuts to outsource a money spinner like PAYG
>
> What they have discovered, as have all the networks, is that PAYG
> punters are too stupid to ask why they pay more for the real network

Voda took their time discovering it then.

Mind you I'd wager the average contract user who pays for a set number of
minutes every month whether they use them or not is more stupid than the average
PAYG user.

--
Andy

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

28 Sept 2008, 21:26:4128/09/2008
"Andy Pandy" <spam8...@wonderful.spam.invalid> wrote in message

Too right, I spend less than £1.50 per month on my mobile, some months a lot
less - now it would be me that is stupid for going on a contract. I have
been on a contract in the past, but that was before PAYG came about.

I've seen people pay £25 - £35 each and every month, yet hardly use their
phone - they don't use the landline as they say "I have xx minutes, I'll use
my mobile - it saves me money" - Yeah right - shows how thick they are.

Steve Terry

29 Sept 2008, 08:14:1729/09/2008

> "Andy Pandy" <spam8...@wonderful.spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Steve Terry" <gFOU...@tesco.net> wrote in message

>>> Orange outsourced their PAYG until 1996 when they realised it was
>>> as if not more of a money maker than Contract.
>>>
>>> Voda would have to be Nuts to outsource a money spinner like PAYG
>>>
>>> What they have discovered, as have all the networks, is that PAYG
>>> punters are too stupid to ask why they pay more for the real network
>>
>> Voda took their time discovering it then.
>>
>> Mind you I'd wager the average contract user who pays for a set number of
>> minutes every month whether they use them or not is more stupid than the
>> average
>> PAYG user.
>
> Too right, I spend less than £1.50 per month on my mobile, some months a
> lot less - now it would be me that is stupid for going on a contract. I
> have been on a contract in the past, but that was before PAYG came about.

The you are a low user and PATG is all you need

> I've seen people pay £25 - £35 each and every month, yet hardly use their
> phone - they don't use the landline as they say "I have xx minutes, I'll
> use my mobile - it saves me money" - Yeah right - shows how thick they
> are.
For which they'll get a top phone included, so their tariff covers the cost
of that,
the mins are a bonus.

Steve Terry

Andy Pandy

29 Sept 2008, 15:29:1929/09/2008

> >> Voda took their time discovering it then.
> >>
> >> Mind you I'd wager the average contract user who pays for a set number of
> >> minutes every month whether they use them or not is more stupid than the
> >> average
> >> PAYG user.
> >
> > Too right, I spend less than £1.50 per month on my mobile, some months a
> > lot less - now it would be me that is stupid for going on a contract. I
> > have been on a contract in the past, but that was before PAYG came about.
> >
> The you are a low user and PATG is all you need

Most PAYG users are low users. Even many medium users would probably be better
off

> > I've seen people pay £25 - £35 each and every month, yet hardly use their
> > phone - they don't use the landline as they say "I have xx minutes, I'll
> > use my mobile - it saves me money" - Yeah right - shows how thick they
> > are.
> For which they'll get a top phone included, so their tariff covers the cost
> of that,
> the mins are a bonus.

Anyone who spends £450-£630 (18x above rates - 18 month contracts seem typical
these days) on a phone they "hardly use" is indeed "thick".

Unless they have a good cashback deal and can be arsed jumping through all the
necessary hoops, but these seem to be drying up these days.

--
Andy

Dennis Ferguson

30 Sept 2008, 03:33:4930/09/2008

You don't need to use all the minutes your monthly plan includes, you
just need to use enough of them that you are better off than the
alternatives.

If the alternative is Vodafone PAYG, in particular, then you don't
have to use very many minutes at all to the smart. If you make
5 minutes of calls per day then you'd be smarter if you were
on the £25 SIM-only monthly plan with unlimited landline + 700 minutes
of calls, leaving 90% of the minutes unused every month, than you would
be paying the £30 per month it would cost to make those calls with
Vodafone PAYG.

Dennis Ferguson

Andy Pandy

30 Sept 2008, 13:06:5830/09/2008

"Dennis Ferguson" <dcfer...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> >> Orange outsourced their PAYG until 1996 when they realised it was
> >> as if not more of a money maker than Contract.
> >>
> >> Voda would have to be Nuts to outsource a money spinner like PAYG
> >>
> >> What they have discovered, as have all the networks, is that PAYG
> >> punters are too stupid to ask why they pay more for the real network
> >
> > Voda took their time discovering it then.
> >
> > Mind you I'd wager the average contract user who pays for a set number of
> > minutes every month whether they use them or not is more stupid than the
average
> > PAYG user.
>
> You don't need to use all the minutes your monthly plan includes, you
> just need to use enough of them that you are better off than the
> alternatives.
>
> If the alternative is Vodafone PAYG, in particular, then you don't
> have to use very many minutes at all to the smart.

On the new Simply tariff, then yes, it's crazy as I've been saying.

SmartPlus is a different story - no contract (or even other PAYG) can beat that
for my wife's usage.

> If you make
> 5 minutes of calls per day then you'd be smarter if you were
> on the £25 SIM-only monthly plan with unlimited landline + 700 minutes
> of calls, leaving 90% of the minutes unused every month, than you would
> be paying the £30 per month it would cost to make those calls with
> Vodafone PAYG.

Indeed - but the choice for anyone considering their options now won't just be
restricted to Vodafone's offerings. Asda PAYG for the above usage would be £12 a
month.

--
Andy