Whats the difference between WAP and GPRS ?

Will

Jun 9, 2006, 7:38:18 PM6/9/06
Whats the difference between WAP and GPRS ?

Will

Matt Wheeler

Jun 10, 2006, 5:23:00 AM6/10/06

"Will" <9...@0.00> wrote in message

> Whats the difference between WAP and GPRS ?

One is a mobile data service for GSM phones and the other is an
international standard for applications that use wireless
communication.
Additionally, one is a protocol and the other is a service...

For a better description, try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAP
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS

Daniel James

Jun 10, 2006, 6:18:31 AM6/10/06
In article news:<4euf3kF...@individual.net>, Will wrote:
> Whats the difference between WAP and GPRS ?

Everything.

WAP is a protocol (like HTTP), GPRS is a data transport (like ethernet).

Mobiles may use a GPRS or GSM data connection to a server to communicate
with that server using WAP as the protocol.

Your question is a bit like asking "What's the difference between French
and a telephone?" so it's difficult to tell what you really wanted to know
..

Cheers,
Daniel.

C!

Jun 10, 2006, 7:42:00 AM6/10/06

Daniel James wrote:
> In article news:<4euf3kF...@individual.net>, Will wrote:
> > Whats the difference between WAP and GPRS ?
>
> Everything.
>
> WAP is a protocol (like HTTP), GPRS is a data transport (like ethernet).
>
> Mobiles may use a GPRS or GSM data connection to a server to communicate
> with that server using WAP as the protocol.

I presume the OP wants to know the difference between data connections
over CSD and data connections over GPRS?

Ivor Jones

Jun 10, 2006, 11:21:48 AM6/10/06
"C!" <TheCoo...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> I presume the OP wants to know the difference between
> data connections over CSD and data connections over GPRS?

That wasn't the question asked. Presumpition can be a dangerous thing.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

Jun 10, 2006, 11:22:14 AM6/10/06

"Ivor Jones" <iv...@despammed.invalid> wrote in message

Or even presumption..!

Ivor

Marc

Jun 10, 2006, 12:40:03 PM6/10/06
It is confusing but WAP is like HTTP on a PC, most mobiles can now do
HTTP as well (e.g. you can usually access standard internet services
like web sites and email these days) .

GRPS is like TCP/IP on a PC in the way that you use HTTP over a TCP/IP
connection.

Before GRPS we had a standard called CSD Dialup, where an actual phone
number was dialed and you were charged by the minute. Then came GPRS
which isn't dialed and you end up only getting charged for what you
download (because most phones are set to always be connected)

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact information.

Rob Devey

Jun 18, 2006, 7:21:28 AM6/18/06

"Marc" <s...@signature.url> wrote in message

> Before GRPS we had a standard called CSD Dialup, where an actual phone
> number was dialed and you were charged by the minute. Then came GPRS which
> isn't dialed and you end up only getting charged for what you download
> (because most phones are set to always be connected)

Except you still mysteriously get charged if you don't download anything!

Loz

Jun 18, 2006, 7:37:38 AM6/18/06

But it'll still download data from the network. It's not just file
downloads you get charged for.

Chris Boyd

Jun 18, 2006, 3:45:56 PM6/18/06

Ah, I presumed that was what you meant anyway :-)

Chris