SKY

Dave Boomhauer

Nov 3, 2007, 2:07:44 PM11/3/07
I can't believ I'm the only one whose Sky BB service has gone poor of
late...

It was brilliant for a about 3 months when I first migrated, but now,
especially in the evening the db value just plummets and I have to reboot at
least 3 times a night....

Anyone else experiencing this...

NB I have not altered any hardware or software since the degradation in
service......

Eeyore

Nov 3, 2007, 2:26:07 PM11/3/07

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

> I can't believ I'm the only one whose Sky BB service has gone poor of
> late...
>
> It was brilliant for a about 3 months when I first migrated, but now,
> especially in the evening the db value just plummets and I have to reboot at
> least 3 times a night....

How badly does it plummet ? This is unlikely to be a Sky problem.

Graham

Dave Boomhauer

Nov 3, 2007, 2:39:08 PM11/3/07

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriend...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I haven't timed it, but the fact that it's happening 3 times a night at
least is annoying as if you have to reboot the modem it means you have to
restart windows too. its a pain and it was perfect when i first migrated...

My assumption is that there are far too many users compared to equipment at
the ISP/ exchange side?

James Luff

Nov 3, 2007, 2:54:54 PM11/3/07

This won't cure your problem, but it will help with rebooting the router
etc..

Use Mossywell's Bounce Sky Router application which sits in your system
tray and monitors your connection. It is fully configurable and will
automatically reboot your router when it detects problems.

The best place to go for more information is SkyUser:

<http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/6402-new-monitor-tool-reboot-router-automatically.html>

--
regards, James Luff
Gamertag: Lufferov

Dave Boomhauer

Nov 3, 2007, 2:58:59 PM11/3/07

"James Luff" <luff...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

It's just gone again!!! - I rebooted just before I sent the first message...

dennis@home

Nov 3, 2007, 3:56:09 PM11/3/07

"Dave Boomhauer" <REMOVETH...@talk21.com> wrote in message

Too many users is unlikely to cause the signal to suddenly drop and for a
router reboot to fix it.
It is more likely that something is causing interference and/or line
problems and you need to investigate and fix it.

Also rebooting the router should not require you to restart windows.
If windows is working correctly it will notice the connection going away and
will then reconnect when the router comes back up.

Eeyore

Nov 3, 2007, 4:13:40 PM11/3/07

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

> "Eeyore" <rabbitsfriend...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Dave Boomhauer wrote:
> >
> >> I can't believ I'm the only one whose Sky BB service has gone poor of
> >> late...
> >>
> >> It was brilliant for a about 3 months when I first migrated, but now,
> >> especially in the evening the db value just plummets and I have to reboot
> >> at least 3 times a night....
> >
> > How badly does it plummet ? This is unlikely to be a Sky problem.
>

> I haven't timed it, but the fact that it's happening 3 times a night at
> least is annoying as if you have to reboot the modem it means you have to
> restart windows too. its a pain and it was perfect when i first migrated...
>
> My assumption is that there are far too many users compared to equipment at
> the ISP/ exchange side?

That has nothing to do with the dB margin. You may be experiencing another
problem.

Graham

Gordon Hudson

Nov 3, 2007, 4:16:45 PM11/3/07

"Dave Boomhauer" <REMOVETH...@talk21.com> wrote in message

I use Sky for my home/domestic internet and have not experienced this, but I
have experienced lots of packet loss early in the morning on a regular
basis.
Mine failed completely last night and a reboot did not fix it.
Sky tech support were actually very good and it was diagnosed and sorted
quite quickly.
This is the first time I have had to contact them with a problem.

--

Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net