Thinking of Sky - router Q.

1 view

Andy Hewitt

Jun 14, 2007, 5:00:22 PM6/14/07
I've just moved house, and awaiting Eclipse reconnecting my BB after
three weeks (wasn't all their fault, TalkTalk owned the line from the
previous occupiers, and wouldn't release it until they had to!). That's
meant a delay in getting my BB connected after getting my new number
activated.

Anyway, for various reasons I need to cut my outgoings drammatically,
and have to consider the Sky bundle, on a like for like basis I can cut
my comms costs by over £30 a month. As much as I would like to go for
reputation, I simply can't afford to any more, and may have to suffer
the consquences regardless.

I see they have problems with Mail, but then so did Eclipse for ages,
which is why I now just use Google accounts, and I use
news.individual.net for usenet.

The only thing that I'm not sure of is the router. I see they supply
their own wireless box. However, I already have a hard wired network
installed here, and would prefer not to use wireless at all - for one
thing, I do transfer files large enough to need the faster speed of
ethernet.

Are there any problems with using my own setup, or do I *have* to use
their router? If so, does it have ethernet as well as wireless, or could
I bridge to my own router?

Cheers.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/>

Colin Wilson

Jun 14, 2007, 5:21:58 PM6/14/07
> The only thing that I'm not sure of is the router. I see they supply
> their own wireless box. However, I already have a hard wired network
> installed here, and would prefer not to use wireless at all - for one
> thing, I do transfer files large enough to need the faster speed of
> ethernet.

The rebadged Netgear router also has four ethernet ports - you're not
forced to use wireless at all, and can disable the wireless networking
completely with a single tickbox under "wireless settings"

> Are there any problems with using my own setup, or do I *have* to use
> their router? If so, does it have ethernet as well as wireless, or could
> I bridge to my own router?

You can retrieve the username and password from the Sky router using a
small util here:

http://dg834gt.mognuts.com/NetgearRouterUtility.html

...the T&Cs say you're supposed to use their hardware, but others have
reported being able to use their own just fine.

Andy Hewitt

Jun 14, 2007, 6:05:17 PM6/14/07
Colin Wilson <REMOVEEVERYTHI...@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM.co.uk>
wrote:

> > The only thing that I'm not sure of is the router. I see they supply
> > their own wireless box. However, I already have a hard wired network
> > installed here, and would prefer not to use wireless at all - for one
> > thing, I do transfer files large enough to need the faster speed of
> > ethernet.
>
> The rebadged Netgear router also has four ethernet ports - you're not
> forced to use wireless at all, and can disable the wireless networking
> completely with a single tickbox under "wireless settings"

Righto, cheers. If it has the four ethernet ports, then I may well just
use it anyway.

> > Are there any problems with using my own setup, or do I *have* to use
> > their router? If so, does it have ethernet as well as wireless, or could
> > I bridge to my own router?
>
> You can retrieve the username and password from the Sky router using a
> small util here:
>
> http://dg834gt.mognuts.com/NetgearRouterUtility.html

Ta.

> ...the T&Cs say you're supposed to use their hardware, but others have
> reported being able to use their own just fine.

OK, I wondered if that was the case. It is just possible that the
supplied router could be better than the Belkin one I already have then
- this one has good range, but useless stability.

Thanks for the info Colin.

Jon

Jun 15, 2007, 2:30:42 AM6/15/07
wildrov...@googlemail.com declared for all the world to hear...

> Are there any problems with using my own setup, or do I *have* to use
> their router? If so, does it have ethernet as well as wireless, or could
> I bridge to my own router?

It's a netgear DG843M - 4 port switch built-in.
--
Regards
Jon

dylan30

Jun 15, 2007, 2:49:52 AM6/15/07

"Jon" <sp...@jonparker.plus.com> wrote in message

> Regards
> Jon

yes it a netgear but filled with crap sky firmware

Adam

The Devil

Jun 15, 2007, 3:11:49 AM6/15/07
"Andy Hewitt" <wildrov...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

The offical word on this is Yes, you do have to use supplied router, but you
can extract the username and password.

See this post:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/5243-how-obtain-your-username-password-sky-router.html
or http://tinyurl.com/32k63z

Hope this helps.

Andy Hewitt

Jun 15, 2007, 5:02:51 AM6/15/07
dylan30 <dylan30@?Sharbour.me.uk> wrote:

As long as it all works when I plug it in, I don't care really.

Gordon Hudson

Jun 15, 2007, 9:09:29 AM6/15/07

"Andy Hewitt" <wildrov...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Mine works and its better than my old router so it was a bit of a bargain
when the router was included.
I just use the wired ports.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Jun 15, 2007, 9:34:16 AM6/15/07
Andy Hewitt wrote:
> The only thing that I'm not sure of is the router. I see they supply
> their own wireless box. However, I already have a hard wired network
> installed here, and would prefer not to use wireless at all - for one
> thing, I do transfer files large enough to need the faster speed of
> Ethernet.

Wireless routers come also with hard-wired ports.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/230volt

Brian McIlwrath

Jun 15, 2007, 10:01:46 AM6/15/07
dylan30 <dylan30@?sharbour.me.uk> wrote:

: yes it a netgear but filled with crap sky firmware

Actually crap NETGEAR firmware (which is just as good/bad as any other
DG834 firmware!) - Sky just get them to create a tailored version for them.

Andy Hewitt

Jun 15, 2007, 11:12:31 AM6/15/07
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Andy Hewitt wrote:
> > The only thing that I'm not sure of is the router. I see they supply
> > their own wireless box. However, I already have a hard wired network
> > installed here, and would prefer not to use wireless at all - for one
> > thing, I do transfer files large enough to need the faster speed of
> > Ethernet.
>
> Wireless routers come also with hard-wired ports.

Not all of them do. You usually get a single wired port for setting up,
but it's by no means certain they will be multiple.

Andy Hewitt

Jun 15, 2007, 11:13:54 AM6/15/07
Gordon Hudson <host...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> yes it a netgear but filled with crap sky firmware
> >
> > As long as it all works when I plug it in, I don't care really.
> >

> Mine works and its better than my old router so it was a bit of a bargain
> when the router was included.
> I just use the wired ports.

Cheers.

As it happens, it's just become a moot point, my current BB has now been
activated, and I've just done a check on my number, and they can't do
the bundle packages here. Buggerit!

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Jun 15, 2007, 11:17:18 AM6/15/07

Not seen any with less than 4 ports on the wired side. Though maybe
there are one or two out there.

Colin Wilson

Jun 15, 2007, 4:06:41 PM6/15/07
> As it happens, it's just become a moot point, my current BB has now been
> activated, and I've just done a check on my number, and they can't do
> the bundle packages here. Buggerit!

Shame - any sign of when your exchange might be enabled ?

(http://www.samknows.com)

Andy Hewitt

Jun 15, 2007, 5:33:38 PM6/15/07
Colin Wilson <REMOVEEVERYTHI...@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM.co.uk>
wrote:

Eastnet seem to have no future planned unbundling at all - as do most of
them it seems :-(

In fact not one of them has unbundled my exchange at all.

Brian McIlwrath

Jun 18, 2007, 6:39:11 AM6/18/07
Andy Hewitt <wildrov...@googlemail.com> wrote:
: >
: > (http://www.samknows.com)

: Eastnet seem to have no future planned unbundling at all - as do most of
: them it seems :-(

Easynet have been LLU enabling exchanges like wildfire this year .... BUT
they do NOT pre-announce their schedule!!! samknows.com only finds out
AFTER the exchange has been done!

James Egan

Jun 18, 2007, 10:02:23 AM6/18/07

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:39:11 +0000 (UTC), Brian McIlwrath
<b...@bkmpc.bnsc.rl.ac.uk> wrote:

>Easynet have been LLU enabling exchanges like wildfire this year .... BUT
>they do NOT pre-announce their schedule!!! samknows.com only finds out
>AFTER the exchange has been done!

Is there any way of finding out how the roll out is going? Since they
were good enough to reduce the price of the connect package to the
same level as skynet mid from the date when they originally said it
was going live they must be paying BT more than they are collecting in
fees.

Jim.

Brian McIlwrath

Jun 18, 2007, 10:31:21 AM6/18/07
James Egan <je...@jegan.com> wrote:
: Is there any way of finding out how the roll out is going? Since they

: were good enough to reduce the price of the connect package to the
: same level as skynet mid from the date when they originally said it
: was going live they must be paying BT more than they are collecting in
: fees.

I guess that Sky should know! They only reduce the price of Sky Connect
to that of Sky Mid *IF* the exchange is definitely scheduled for LLU
unbundling within the next few months. My Exchange was done within 3 months
of the £5 Connect offer being made to me.

Mind you I am *STILL* on Connect as, while the LLU equipment is in place
Sky still need to get the transfers organised!

Andy Hewitt

Jun 18, 2007, 11:42:58 AM6/18/07
Brian McIlwrath <b...@bkmpc.bnsc.rl.ac.uk> wrote:

OK, well it seems the none of the LLU ISPs are announcing anything, as a
search on all them of, found absolutely zero planned unbundlings.

James Egan

Jun 18, 2007, 1:23:14 PM6/18/07

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:31:21 +0000 (UTC), Brian McIlwrath
<b...@bkmpc.bnsc.rl.ac.uk> wrote:

>I guess that Sky should know! They only reduce the price of Sky Connect
>to that of Sky Mid *IF* the exchange is definitely scheduled for LLU
>unbundling within the next few months. My Exchange was done within 3 months
>of the £5 Connect offer being made to me.

I never got an offer. After reading about it on skyuser I phoned them
up and asked to go on the £5 connect. That was about three months ago.
My guess is that I would still be paying £17 if I hadn't phoned.

There is/was a page on the sky site offering connect to anyone for £5.
It wasn't subject to the restriction you mentioned.

>Mind you I am *STILL* on Connect as, while the LLU equipment is in place
>Sky still need to get the transfers organised!

That's the bit I'm dreading.

Jim.

Brian McIlwrath

Jun 18, 2007, 2:24:52 PM6/18/07
James Egan <je...@jegan.com> wrote:

: There is/was a page on the sky site offering connect to anyone for Ł5.
: It wasn't subject to the restriction you mentioned.

It has changed then! I got an email back in January (as I was registered with
them) saying "we can offer Ł5/month Connectt".

Typing a phone number into the Sky availability checker then EITHER gave
Ł17/month otr Ł5/month depending on the Exchnange.