Bursts of Rap on Radio 4 FM Oxford TX

1 view

James Salisbury

Sep 11, 2008, 5:46:39 PM9/11/08
I have noticed lately bursts of Rap music or similar on R4 Oxford, could
it be that someone is trying to hijack the RBL?

James

Graham

Sep 11, 2008, 6:36:21 PM9/11/08

"James Salisbury" <nntp.dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

Are you sure it wasn't just phantom TA events?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

James Salisbury

Sep 11, 2008, 6:51:52 PM9/11/08
Graham wrote:
> "James Salisbury" <nntp.dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have noticed lately bursts of Rap music or similar on R4 Oxford, could
>> it be that someone is trying to hijack the RBL?
>>
>> James
> Are you sure it wasn't just phantom TA events?
They could be TA events I may have seen the flag change, but it is
difficult when you are driving at the time. When it happens it is only
for a couple of seconds.

Adrian C

Sep 11, 2008, 7:01:38 PM9/11/08

Blame the Large Hadron Collider for that. Momentarily you were shifted
to a parallel universe where Radio 4 presenters occasionally talk in
'rap' to engage with their posse ....

--
Adrian C

Dave Liquorice

Sep 11, 2008, 6:43:18 PM9/11/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:46:39 +0100, James Salisbury wrote:

> I have noticed lately bursts of Rap music or similar on R4 Oxford, could
> it be that someone is trying to hijack the RBL?

Are you listening in a car with and RDS radio?

--
Cheers
Dave.

James Salisbury

Sep 12, 2008, 2:48:57 AM9/12/08
Yes, I am listening with the EON TP feature turned on.

Dave Liquorice

Sep 12, 2008, 5:24:13 AM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:48:57 +0100, James Salisbury wrote:

>>> I have noticed lately bursts of Rap music or similar on R4 Oxford,
>>> could it be that someone is trying to hijack the RBL?
>>
>> Are you listening in a car with and RDS radio?
>
> Yes, I am listening with the EON TP feature turned on.

May well be the radio going off to check one of the alternate frequencies
when the signal gets bad. Mine will do a similar thing quick burst of a
pop station when tuned to R4. Happens fairly predictably at one point on
the inner motorway tunnel bits in Leeds but only when travelling east.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Zero Tolerance

Sep 12, 2008, 6:35:24 AM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:01:38 +0100, Adrian C <em...@here.invalid>
wrote:

>Blame the Large Hadron Collider for that. Momentarily you were shifted
>to a parallel universe where Radio 4 presenters occasionally talk in
>'rap' to engage with their posse ....

'Dis be the world tonight, and we is kickin' this
With all the news of the day and the wickedness,
Reports and correspondents in all kinds of places,
But on the radio you won't see their faces,
Bringing you the news in the style of the BBC,
And this piece of paper that's been handed me,
We ain't got time for the proper news today,
Because it's time for you to have your say,
Whatever the point of discussion is,
Let's go to your calls and tex messages

I'm Charlotte Green. Audi.

Sep 12, 2008, 6:54:30 AM9/12/08

Zero Tolerance wrote:

BRILLIANT!!

Mike

198kHz

Sep 12, 2008, 9:38:03 AM9/12/08

"Zero Tolerance" <Ze...@0spam.want.no.spam.zzz> wrote in message

<applause> Bravo! </applause>

Andy Dee

Sep 13, 2008, 7:16:12 AM9/13/08
Reespec

Mizter T

Sep 13, 2008, 9:02:22 AM9/13/08

On 12 Sep, 10:24, "Dave Liquorice" <allsortsnotthis...@howhill.com>
wrote:

I've noticed this happening quite often in London, perhaps
particularly at the weekend when all the pirates are fired up. I guess
that fairly low quality car radios are more prone to this.

The notion that someone might wish to hijack the RBL to broadcast rap
is pretty absurd, though quite amusing!

Mark Carver

Sep 13, 2008, 11:34:38 AM9/13/08

Or the programme feeds for R1 and R4 get momentarily transposed :-)

May not be that far fetched, apparently a few of weeks ago the programme
feeds for R2 and R3 became transposed at Sutton Coldfield for a few minutes.

charles

Sep 13, 2008, 11:44:29 AM9/13/08
In article <6j24seF...@mid.individual.net>,

and quite some years ago, BBC1 vhf radiated a 625 signal one lunchtime.
Only one complaint ;-)

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Ben A L Jemmett

Sep 13, 2008, 12:39:47 PM9/13/08
Mark Carver wrote:
> May not be that far fetched, apparently a few of weeks ago the
> programme feeds for R2 and R3 became transposed at Sutton Coldfield
> for a few minutes.

I heard that; it was quite refreshing... However, I'm 99% sure I was
listening off Oxford; does it relay Sutton Coldfield? If not then I
think I've just figured out why the FM reception at work is so variable!

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.

Graham

Sep 13, 2008, 12:58:16 PM9/13/08

"charles" <cha...@charleshope.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <6j24seF...@mid.individual.net>,
> Mark Carver <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> James Salisbury wrote:
>> > Hi, I have noticed lately bursts of Rap music or similar on R4 Oxford,
>> > could it be that someone is trying to hijack the RBL?
>
>> Or the programme feeds for R1 and R4 get momentarily transposed :-)
>
>> May not be that far fetched, apparently a few of weeks ago the programme
>> feeds for R2 and R3 became transposed at Sutton Coldfield for a few
>> minutes.
>
> and quite some years ago, BBC1 vhf radiated a 625 signal one lunchtime.
> Only one complaint ;-)

Over the entire network?
Which way up were the syncs?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

charles

Sep 13, 2008, 2:21:53 PM9/13/08
In article <gagrfb$ih4$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,
Graham <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Over the entire network?

Sorry, I meant to say that it was only from Oxford.

> Which way up were the syncs?

the same way as normal for VHF, since someone overplugged in error at
baseband - Positive modulation, so syncs downwards.

James Salisbury

Sep 13, 2008, 5:11:22 PM9/13/08
It has happened a few more times, I suspect a rather independent
broadcaster who has no RDS.
It flips to the strange broadcast the TP indicator goes out but the name
of the new broadcaster is not displayed, it then returns to R4.

If could be bothered I could check all the Local BBC frequencies in the
list from Oxford, would this be the same list as SC?

Mark Carver

Sep 13, 2008, 5:23:49 PM9/13/08
Ben A L Jemmett wrote:
> Mark Carver wrote:
>> May not be that far fetched, apparently a few of weeks ago the
>> programme feeds for R2 and R3 became transposed at Sutton Coldfield
>> for a few minutes.
>
> I heard that; it was quite refreshing... However, I'm 99% sure I was
> listening off Oxford; does it relay Sutton Coldfield?

Yes, Oxford does indeed relay Sutton Coldfield for BBC R1-4. I think
Classic FM is 'line' fed ?

Mark Carver

Sep 13, 2008, 5:33:45 PM9/13/08
James Salisbury wrote:

> It flips to the strange broadcast the TP indicator goes out but the name
> of the new broadcaster is not displayed, it then returns to R4.
>
> If could be bothered I could check all the Local BBC frequencies in the
> list from Oxford, would this be the same list as SC?

Yes.

I often get bursts of radio stations that are in the 103-105 MHz range
listening to R4 Oxford. Because it relays Sutton Coldfield (without
demod to baseband), it shares that transmitter's RDS data stream. SC
overlaps into Wales, and many Welsh R4 transmitters are in the 103-105
sub-band. Therefore during an AF 'sniff' a radio tuned to R4 SC or
Oxford could very well end up trying an English LR station in the
103-105 area. As soon as it detects that the PI code is not R4's it'll
switch back, but not before you've been subjected to a split second of
Radio Somethingelse. That's why the best RDS car radios have two tuners.

Adrian C

Sep 14, 2008, 4:16:05 PM9/14/08

I said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop a you don't stop :-)