Ascot picks, day 1

Fantrace

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In the Queen Anne, I just can't see Godolphin winning yet again, although
little reason to suppose any of the trailers in the Lockinge will beat Aljabr
this time, so it's got to be Dansili for me.

In the King Stand, Flanders was so unlucky to be touched off by Mitcham last
year, but this year seems to have come back better than ever. Course suits as
we've seen before and she has been kept for this despite entries in one or two
good races over the past month or two, because she goes best when fresh. Darley
is riding really well this season too. The draw is a bit of a worry though, and
the ground might be on the firm side.

Cape Town looks the value in the St James Palace.

Not sure about the Coventry - Bram Stoker perhaps, who looks better with every
race, or Modigliani, but not very original choices.

Unusual to see a RA pointer running at Warwick, but Andromedes who was just a
couple of lengths behind Dalmapour last time, did win very very easily tonight,
and if Dalmapour stays the distance in the Queens vase, will be very hard to
beat.

I have no idea about the last, Ulundi perhaps?

Malcolm Wright
All Horseracing related messages to Fant...@aol.com
Other Email to Mal...@aol.com please

May all your selections be winners :-)))

Firebeast

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
A quick run down on my thoughts for day 1. Could be worth avoiding more than anything.
-
Queen Anne Stakes.
A lot of talk about the market leaders and of course they do have good form in the book to back up
the market support.
I can't get excited about anything in this at short prices, so I'd be looking at INDIAN LODGE to run
a better race than in the Lockinge, and if not beat ALJABR, get little closer to him, and thus
improve again. At around 10/1 could be better value EW.
-
Kings Stand Stakes
-
No matter how much I try, I can't get away from the Nicholls horses. Initially I was really
interested in PROUD NATIVE, but on further delving, RUDIS PET fits virtually all aspects of a winner
in this, and has a cracking draw, and good jockey booking.
Just for fun, I'll go -
1.RUDIS PET
2.PROUD NATIVE
3.IMPERIAL BEAUTY
-
St James's Palace Stakes.
-
I've already outlined why I'll be backing VALENTINO EW in a previous post.
Should be a cracker to watch though.
-
Coventry Stakes
-
A real dodgepot of a race, with loads in with a shout on bare form, but not a lot on the ground
conditions. I got it down to 4, BARKING MAD, BRAM STOKER, CD EUROPE and EARL GREY. Eventually
settling for very small stakes on BARKING MAD, due to an unlucky first run, followed by a good
second run, and win, on firmer ground than most have encountered. He also showed a bit of spirit in
his win at York. If anyone takes a short price in this they want their bumps felt! ( Whether it wins
or not)
At 10/1 BARKING MAD will do.
-
Queens Vase.
-
Initially I was drawn to KUWAIT TROOPER, who has progressed each time he's been stepped up in
distance, and of them all he's probably more likely to last the trip. he's encountered this ground
before and he's won on it before, I may have a saver on him at around 12/1, but the less exposed
runner of Michael Stoutes, DALAMPOUR also looks interesting. The price is a little stingy though at
7/2, but he looks tailor made for this, on breeding and the manner of his last victory.
-
Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
-
The lucky last, and I think the best bet of the day, in NATIONAL ANTHEM. He trounced some good
horses at headquarters last time, including the second placed horse Supply and Demand, and we all
know how well he did at Epsom. He really fits the profile IMHO, alongside Stoutes record in this
race, which is second to none. (as pointed out in earlier thread) He looks better than handicap
company, and he'll be the main bet of the day for me.
If you really want to look for a better priced alternative, Mark Johnstons in good form, and his
AKBAR is progressing nicely, and could give him most to do, although I don't expect him to trouble
NA too much. However at around 16/1 represents a bit of value.
-
Well that's my lot, all losers obviously, but at least you can take them off your list, which has
got to be help.
-
Cheers,
Steve.Beastie.

Ren

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
Haven't had time to do any write ups with mailing Victor Chandlers so much
but for what it's worth on a hard first days racing (heres the ones to
avoid)

Queens Anne
With all the penalties i quite fancy GOLDEN SILCA to run a big race and
could reward e/w bets at a reasonable price, well weighted with some of the
major runners.

Kings Stand
One to forget really but i will pitch 2 against the field, AGNES WORLD a top
class sprinter has done the biz on his travels before and loves top of the
ground, good e/w at around 12/1. BOLSHOI is an amazing price at around 50/1,
ran a fantastic race on his return from injury behind Pipalong, beaten 3
lengths after not getting the run of the race and was well behind Perryston
View but that was in heavy ground which he hates, could spring a surprise.

St. James Palace
SHIBBOLETH is my pick as outlined somewhere else in the ng

Coventry
Difficult to weight up the value of the form so i'll go for the filly RARE
OLD TIMES who is in line for a £50k bonus if she wins, the 6F will suit as
will the better ground, outsiders pop up sometimes you know (he says rather
tentatively) e/w

Queens Vase
Bit of a nightmare this year (where's Cecil) so i will bang for another
outsider in Martin Pipes RAVENSWOOD, will be suited by the distance and will
sit at the back and wait to pounce in the final furlong at around 20/1 a
nice e/w proposition.

Duke Of Edinburgh
A very open finale with the selection being WESTENDER with M. Hills aboard
having the chance to atone for an absolute balls up of a ride last time,
plenty in with chances so watch the market.

Well hope everyone has a good time anyway and empties the bookies satchels.

Ren

Jason McCaul

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
In article <8imck6$53be3$1...@fu-berlin.de>,> The lucky last, and I think

the best bet of the day, in NATIONAL ANTHEM. He trounced some good
> horses at headquarters last time, including the second placed horse
Supply and Demand, and we all
> know how well he did at Epsom. He really fits the profile IMHO,
alongside Stoutes record in this
> race, which is second to none. (as pointed out in earlier thread) He
looks better than handicap
> company, and he'll be the main bet of the day for me.

Personally I think backing a horse at approx 7/2 in a handicap is an
easy way to lose money, however I have a friend who works in the stoute
yard and he thinks the horse has a stone in hand in this race. He says
he's been working with blueprint (last years winner) who is rated
approx 10 lb better than him and he has been beating that horse
comfortably.

They also facny Dalanpour strongly.

I may have a small double but I won't be getting heavilly involved at
7/2.

Good Luck
--
Jason McCaul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Firebeast

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
> Personally I think backing a horse at approx 7/2 in a handicap is an
> easy way to lose money, however I have a friend who works in the stoute
> yard and he thinks the horse has a stone in hand in this race. He says
> he's been working with blueprint (last years winner) who is rated
> approx 10 lb better than him and he has been beating that horse
> comfortably.
>
> They also facny Dalanpour strongly.
>
> I may have a small double but I won't be getting heavilly involved at
> 7/2.
>
> Good Luck
> --
> Jason McCaul
-
That's just about my feelings too Jason, concerning the price, but I'm with your friend on feelings
of how good the horse is, and that's the only reason I am pretty confident about it. Normally in a
race such as this, there's no way I'd be touching a horse as short as that.
Nice to know someone who knows about the horse actually agrees with me though, and it just adds
confidence to my thoughts, although it won't make me increase my bet.:o)
If anyone is looking for a downside to the horses chances, it could be that the lay off, 45 days,
may be against him, but I can't see it.
-
Cheers,
Steve

Jason McCaul

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
In article <8in7lb$qpn$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Jason McCaul <jason...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Personally I think backing a horse at approx 7/2 in a handicap is an
> easy way to lose money, however I have a friend who works in the
stoute
> yard and he thinks the horse has a stone in hand in this race. He says
> he's been working with blueprint (last years winner) who is rated
> approx 10 lb better than him and he has been beating that horse
> comfortably.
>
> They also facny Dalanpour strongly.

Well just goes to show what I said, 11/4 in a field of that size is
financial suicide, stable info or not!!!

Every horse in this race was probably trying and trained for the day,
hence I suspect a lot of the stables fancied their own horses. The
moral of the story, only back when you think a horse represents
value!!!

Firebeast

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
You're right there Jason and lesson learned.
Fortunately, I didn't get to have a bet on him, and I'm not convinced I would have done so, at that
sort of price. I thought like you 7/2 was pretty stingy, but 11/4 was taking the piss, to be blunt.
I managed 5 bets in total.
My EW on Valentino, which was on last night. What a cracker of a race he put up, thought he was in
coming to the post.
A nice bet on Barking Mad. He looks like he might want further, he was caught slightly flat footed
when they approached the furlong pole, but battled back to run on at the end.
I had a small saver on CD Europe, to cover that bet.
Finishing with a nice bet on Dalampour. (saver on Kuwait Trooper, who didn't like the trip, or may
not be up to the class)
I admit, I was mad at missing getting on National Anthem, but in the end well pleased, given the
result.
Not a bad day, but could have been better.
Goes to prove you were right about NA though, nice one. I'll listen next time, especially when
getting chance to get on with a bet.
-
Cheers,
Steve.