Update on greek weather

1 view

Yannis

Jan 25, 2006, 6:27:08 PM1/25/06
Good evening, everyone.

The storm that is gradually making its way east of Greece has caused
numerous problems around the country:

- very low temperatures and very strong winds in the northeast
- very low temperatures elsewhere, apart from Crete and the Dodecanese
complex
- abundant snowfalls in continental Greece, especially in parts of central
Macedonia, Thessaly, eastern continental Greece and the Peloponnese

The island of Cephallonia is in its second day without electric power
supply. Locals say they don't remember snow settling on the Agia Pelagia
beach.
The Athens-Thessaloniki national road got blocked yesterday and drivers were
stuck in a 15km long queue for 14 hours. The army had to provide drivers
with food and water. Pictures by Athanasios Tsioukanaras, a driver who got
stuck in the queue himself:

Night blizzard
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_blizzard1.JPG
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_blizzard2.JPG

The car in the blizzard
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_car.JPG

The dividing line
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_diaxoristiko.JPG

Dawn
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_blizzard_day1.JPG
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_blizzard_day2.JPG

Help comes from the army
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_army.JPG
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_army2.JPG

His car in the morning and the nearby truck
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_car_day.JPG
http://www.meteothes.gr/public/tembi_track.JPG

Athens has lying snow everywhere apart from the beach suburbs, where it was
also snowing since Monday night with slightly higher temperatures. Up to 80
cm of snow in Thrakomakedones, a suburb in the northwest of the
agglomeration. Circulation has been cut in all minor roads of the northern
suburbs, the roads leading to the hill of Likavitos in the city centre and
the roads towards the surrounding hills and mountains. Snowfalls persist in
the north and the national road to Thessaloniki closes every now and then.

The northwest of the country had its light snowfalls on Monday (never good
accumulations with a northeasterly there). The lake of Ioannina produced
some nice sculptures as it was forced offshore:

http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/1.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/3.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/4.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/5.jpg (let's sit for a coffee
outside!)
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/10.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/2.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/6.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/7.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/8.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/9.jpg

After lakes, now it was the time of streams to start freezing. Again, from
the area of Epirus, in the northwest:
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/12.jpg
http://dias.aueb.gr/~pagouria/pagos250106/11.jpg

This is expected to be a very cold night in the west, north and northwest.
Right now, it's snowing in Orestiada with a temperature of -7.0C, while
temps plummeted to -13C there earlier today. Another ice day is forecast for
many areas tomorrow, while ice should definitely be a problem in downtown
Athens as well.

Yannis, SE Athens
-1.6C, RH 84%, SLP 1019.4 hPa
7cm lying snow

Alex Stephens Jr

Jan 25, 2006, 7:22:55 PM1/25/06
Wonderful post with remarkable images Yannis.
The pictures from the shores of lake of Ioannina, remind me of the ones from
Lake Geneva last year, perhaps even more spectacular.
Many thanks
Alex.

"Yannis" <aex...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yannis

Jan 26, 2006, 2:43:52 PM1/26/06
Ο "Alex Stephens Jr" <alexde...@blueyonder.co.uk> έγραψε στο μήνυμα

> Wonderful post with remarkable images Yannis.
> The pictures from the shores of lake of Ioannina, remind me of the ones
> from Lake Geneva last year, perhaps even more spectacular.

Thanks Alex.
Temps dropped to -19.8C this morning in Florina and -25C in the nearby
villages of Kalliniki and Niki, close to the FYROM border. Not as cold
elsewhere:

Kastoria: -15C
Kozani: -9C
Tripolis: -9C
Thes/niki: -8C
Larisa: -8C
Lamia: -6C
(and so on)

Winds have eased down and Thursday has been a glorious -albeit chilly- day
even in eastern Greece. Florina now counts 23 consecutive days with lying
snow.

Chalkida with lying snow down to the coastline. Pics by Angelos Vlachos
http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/zoom/Dirfis/42865/510576
http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/zoom/Dirfis/42865/510569

And frozen Florina:
http://users.otenet.gr/~alsiam/foto/24012006.jpg
http://users.otenet.gr/~alsiam/foto/24012006d.jpg
http://users.otenet.gr/~alsiam/foto/24012006b.jpg

Dozens of villages still with no road access across continental Greece and
the Peloponnese, while some ski resorts are not receiving guests because of
excess snow. 3.5m of new snow in Hania, Mt Pelion.

Yannis, SE Athens

Keith (Southend)

Jan 26, 2006, 2:53:42 PM1/26/06

Super stuff Yannis, thanks for all the pictures.

--
Keith (Southend)
http://www.southendweather.net