Climate Models

Weatherlawyer

Oct 2, 2012, 7:06:50 AM10/2/12
I can't say I am of the opinion climate science IS a science but even
so, I'd be a fool to ignore the beginners course from here:

Introduction to Climate Models.

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=913

It could be entertaining. But even if it isn't, it is free. (It just
requires a registration.)

Alastair McDonald

Oct 2, 2012, 8:02:17 AM10/2/12

"Weatherlawyer" <weathe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Hi,

That is very interesting. There are loads of these short courses:
https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_detail.php
Thanks for posting that.

There is another free course on climate here:
http://forecast.uchicago.edu/moodle/
but it takes much longer to complete.

Cheers, Alastair.

Weatherlawyer

Oct 2, 2012, 5:00:55 PM10/2/12
On Oct 2, 1:05 pm, "Alastair McDonald"
<a...@abmcdonald.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> "Weatherlawyer" <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Sadly the OP course is a shallow brainwashfest.
You have to believe what they tell you to get a pass mark and what
they tell you is just dogma.

I would much rather go on a course this chap would run:

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/49770

Weatherlawyer

Oct 3, 2012, 3:15:02 AM10/3/12
On Oct 2, 1:05 pm, "Alastair McDonald"
<a...@abmcdonald.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> "Weatherlawyer" <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Presumably you did the course or something similar?
So how did you get on with the test?

I failed this miserably:
Which transports more heat from low to high latitudes? 0/2

I put the sea does.
I can't believe they believe it is the air.
I can't imagine where they think the air gets its heat from.
Air is perfectly transparent to all solar wavelengths except some
infra red.
Infra red makes up about 1% of sunlight the rest is the colour
spectrum and 1% UV.

All of that hits the water and goes in. Some is reflected back but
most of it becomes heat.

Since most of it becomes heat, it has to be viewed as the original
heat source as far as weather goes. As far as Weatherlawyer went with
it anyway.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Oct 3, 2012, 6:03:01 AM10/3/12
In message
<5aeb2b71-62e0-4425...@d3g2000vbj.googlegroups.com>,
Weatherlawyer <weathe...@gmail.com> writes
>On Oct 2, 1:05�pm, "Alastair McDonald"
><a...@abmcdonald.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> "Weatherlawyer" <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> >I can't say I am of the opinion climate science IS a science but even
>> > so, I'd be a fool to ignore the beginners course from here:
>>
>> > Introduction to Climate Models.
>>
>> >https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=913
>>
>> > It could be entertaining. But even if it isn't, it is free. (It just
>> > requires a registration.)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> That is very interesting. There are loads of these short
>>courses:https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_detail.php
>> Thanks for posting that.
>>
>> There is another free course on climate
>>here:http://forecast.uchicago.edu/moodle/
>> but it takes much longer to complete.
>
>Presumably you did the course or something similar?
>So how did you get on with the test?
>
>I failed this miserably:
>Which transports more heat from low to high latitudes? 0/2
>
>I put the sea does.
>I can't believe they believe it is the air.

When we have a Spanish plume and temperatures soar, where do you think
the heat comes from? How did it gets from there to here?

>I can't imagine where they think the air gets its heat from.
>Air is perfectly transparent to all solar wavelengths except some
>infra red.
>Infra red makes up about 1% of sunlight the rest is the colour
>spectrum and 1% UV.
>
>All of that hits the water and goes in. Some is reflected back but
>most of it becomes heat.

>Since most of it becomes heat, it has to be viewed as the original
>heat source as far as weather goes. As far as Weatherlawyer went with
>it anyway.

The question you cited was about what transports more heat - not where
the original source (conversion of solar radiation to heat) is.

The oceans have a greater heat capacity than the atmosphere, but
atmospheric motions are faster than oceanic motions. Which would
dominate isn't a priori obvious (you'd need to plug in numbers to get
comparative figures), but the dependence of British winter temperatures
on the patterns of air currents shows that atmospheric transport is not
negligible.

As for how the heat gets into the atmosphere, you ignored several
processes.

1) Outgoing radiation is approaching 100% IR. Some of that is absorbed
by the atmosphere.

2) The atmosphere gains heat at the sea and land surface by conduction,
which is then mixed into a greater thickness of air by convection and
turbulence.

3) Energy that goes into the evaporation of water vapour is later
released as latent heat of condensation when the water vapour turns into
liquid water.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Weatherlawyer

Oct 3, 2012, 6:40:26 AM10/3/12
On Oct 3, 11:13 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
<{$new...@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <5aeb2b71-62e0-4425-9c66-1395f2cf5...@d3g2000vbj.googlegroups.com>,
> Weatherlawyer <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> writes
Thanks.
So much for the course then.
Good at questions low on information.

Pity that, as the link Alistair gave was to an Aladdin's cave on the
website. I suppose there is no substitute for reading up on the actual
subject.

Alastair McDonald

Oct 3, 2012, 7:44:10 AM10/3/12

> Thanks.
> So much for the course then.
> Good at questions low on information.

> Pity that, as the link Alistair gave was to an Aladdin's cave on the
> website. I suppose there is no substitute for reading up on the
> actual subject.

It seems as if you have only done the pre-course test.

If you do the course it shows you that the heat transferred by the oceans is
much less than by the atmosphere.

The pass mark is pretty high at 75%. I only got 60% for the pre test, but
88% in the quiz so I passed that :-) If you find the course a bit tough, it
does have a few links to other courses which explain their reasoning in more
detail.

Cheers, Alastair.

Weatherlawyer

Oct 3, 2012, 4:17:35 PM10/3/12
On Oct 3, 12:44 pm, "Alastair McDonald"
<a...@abmcdonald.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> "Weatherlawyer" <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
It's not tough but I have a problem with prejudice. I suppose it
serves me right for being so narrow minded. I still see climatology as
a giant Fail though.

We'll see, huh?