Overnight storm in Brussels but we missed the worst

Colin Youngs

May 26, 2009, 6:12:41 PM5/26/09
Brussels on Tuesday 26th May

Brussels was on the edge of the severe thunderstorms that hit western
Belgium on Monday night. Even so, Uccle recorded 13 mm rain in 10 minutes.
I was woken up by thunder and lightning just after 03.00 local time.
Several bright flashes and loud cracks during the few minutes I was awake,
but I think the storm was moving away by then. Lots of small debris from
trees lying around this morning - leaves and twigs - but no damage.

Some sunshine at first this morning but it clouded over with a lengthy
shower around 11.00. Mostly cloudy afterwards with intermittent light rain
from about 14.30 to 15.30 accompanied by a fall in temperature. Broken
cloud and evening sunshine from 18.00.

Brussels Uccle 17.7�C - overnight minimum 14.5�C - and 21 mm rain.
Brussels Airport 18.9�C - overnight minimum 13.6�C - and 13 mm.

Graph http://193.190.137.7/~celinair/maps/metevol_ok/metr012.gif

Brussels Airport http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EBBR.html

Rainfall radar http://www.buienradar.nl/h.aspx?jaar=-3&soort=loop24uur1x1

OGIMET monthly summary for Brussels Uccle http://tinyurl.com/qppg8w

Webcam Grand-Place http://www.bruxelles.be/artdet.cfm?id=4664&FMT=18

Webcam Uccle http://www.meteo.be/meteo/view/en/1586624-Webcam+Uccle.html

Colin Youngs
Brussels

jbm

May 26, 2009, 6:58:34 PM5/26/09

"Colin Youngs" <youngs...@voo.be> wrote in message

| Brussels on Tuesday 26th May
|
| Brussels was on the edge of the severe thunderstorms that hit western
| Belgium on Monday night. ... snippety snip

A slide show of that storm in Holland is on

http://extra.volkskrant.nl/animatie/fotospecial/specials/index.php?id=407

Some fantastic photos.

jim, dryish Northampton

CHRIS KIDD

May 26, 2009, 10:37:44 PM5/26/09
Sounded quite scary - saw the METAR for Schiphol. AVHRR imagery suggests the
over-shooting tops were at -76C!