Copyright-free map-making week in the Lake District

nick1...@yahoo.co.uk

May 4, 2007, 1:22:14 PM5/4/07
Hello everyone,

I guess many of you will be aware of the OpenStreetMap project,
www.openstreetmap.org, which aims to produce free global mapping data
from GPS tracks. So far the focus has been rather more on street
mapping but there has also been a significant amount done in the
countryside, notably in Hampshire (New Forest and South Downs) and
parts of the Midlands.

I would like to organise an OpenStreetMap event in the Lake District,
with the idea of introducing walkers to free mapping, with a
particular emphasis on the issues specific to creating free
countryside maps, such as those at Freemap (free-map.org.uk) which now
uses OpenStreetMap data. The aim will be to try and map as many of the
main footpaths and summit ascent routes in the Grasmere-Langdale area,
possibly extending to Rosthwaite and Coniston, in a week. There will
be a choice of doing high or low level routes depending on weather and
personal preferences.

People will survey the footpaths and other well-used routes with GPS
devices and then upload them to the web. The week will also cover how
to survey landscape features such as crags.

I'm proposing to hold the mapping week during the week of the 3rd -
8th July. People can either stay the whole time or drop in and out as
they feel like it. No firm plans on venues yet - I'd first of all like
to get an idea of the level of interest.

If this sounds interesting then do sign up at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Lake_District_Mapping_Week

Nick

Dave Fawthrop

May 4, 2007, 3:39:10 PM5/4/07
On 4 May 2007 10:22:14 -0700, nick1...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

|!Hello everyone,
|!
|!I guess many of you will be aware of the OpenStreetMap project,
|!www.openstreetmap.org, which aims to produce free global mapping data
|!from GPS tracks.

Ouch! My house , Village and roads do not exist :-(
The main roads and most of the minor roads are at minimum on the Out of
Copyright 50 year old OS Maps.
--
Dave Fawthrop <sf hyphenologist.co.uk> 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Message has been deleted

nick1...@yahoo.co.uk

May 5, 2007, 5:05:20 AM5/5/07
On May 4, 8:39 pm, Dave Fawthrop <inva...@hyphenologist.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

> On 4 May 2007 10:22:14 -0700, nick150...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> |!Hello everyone,
> |!
> |!I guess many of you will be aware of the OpenStreetMap project,
> |!www.openstreetmap.org, which aims to produce free global mapping data
> |!from GPS tracks.
>
> Ouch! My house , Village and roads do not exist :-(
> The main roads and most of the minor roads are at minimum on the Out of
> Copyright 50 year old OS Maps.
> --
> Dave Fawthrop <sf hyphenologist.co.uk> 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
> 165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberghttp://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_PageCompletely Free to any

> address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Well if you own a GPS you know what to do :-)

Seriously, the OSM project is growing all the time and the amount of
data which has been added in the last 12 months, given the age of the
project is quite immense. I don't think you should let the fact that
your particular area has nothing on it put you off, indeed it should
encourage you to get out there and get surveying :-) The benefits of
copyright free mapping data (as has been discussed on this group in
the past) are quite significant and it would be good to get some
interest from walkers.

Nick

Roy

May 5, 2007, 5:53:01 AM5/5/07
nick1...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Seriously, the OSM project is growing all the time and the amount of
> data which has been added in the last 12 months, given the age of the
> project is quite immense. I don't think you should let the fact that
> your particular area has nothing on it put you off, indeed it should
> encourage you to get out there and get surveying :-) The benefits of
> copyright free mapping data (as has been discussed on this group in
> the past) are quite significant and it would be good to get some
> interest from walkers.
>
> Nick

There is a lot more to mapping than GPS tracks. There are already
established systems of sharing paths and routes.

It's the background mapping (features) which are important and I don't
see anything on the examples you gave which is likely to tempt me away
from 0S 1:25000

Roy.

Dave Fawthrop

May 5, 2007, 6:10:39 AM5/5/07
On 5 May 2007 02:01:17 -0700, nick1...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

|!On May 4, 8:39 pm, Dave Fawthrop <inva...@hyphenologist.co.uk.invalid>
|!wrote:
|!> On 4 May 2007 10:22:14 -0700, nick150...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
|!>
|!> |!Hello everyone,
|!> |!

|!> |!I guess many of you will be aware of the OpenStreetMap project,

|!> |!www.openstreetmap.org, which aims to produce free global mapping data
|!> |!from GPS tracks.
|!>
|!> Ouch! My house , Village and roads do not exist :-(
|!> The main roads and most of the minor roads are at minimum on the Out of
|!> Copyright 50 year old OS Maps.

|!Well, if you own a GPS you know what to do :-)

As one who exploits, see sig, the letter of Copyright Laws by making etext
from Out Of Copyright books, I am amazed that the main roads which occur on
Out Of Copyright OS maps are not included.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> For Yorkshire Dialect
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartley

Dave Fawthrop

May 5, 2007, 6:19:30 AM5/5/07
On Sat, 05 May 2007 10:53:01 +0100, Roy <x@y> wrote:

|!nick1...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
|!
|!>
|!> Seriously, the OSM project is growing all the time and the amount of
|!> data which has been added in the last 12 months, given the age of the
|!> project is quite immense. I don't think you should let the fact that
|!> your particular area has nothing on it put you off, indeed it should
|!> encourage you to get out there and get surveying :-) The benefits of
|!> copyright free mapping data (as has been discussed on this group in
|!> the past) are quite significant and it would be good to get some
|!> interest from walkers.
|!>
|!> Nick
|!>
|!
|!There is a lot more to mapping than GPS tracks. There are already
|!established systems of sharing paths and routes.
|!It's the background mapping (features) which are important

Like contour lines, *Danger Areas*, Open Access Areas etc, etc.

|!and I don't
|!see anything on the examples you gave which is likely to tempt me away
|!from 0S 1:25000

Amen to that. We even use OS Explorers when driving in country areas.

--
Dave Fawthrop <sf hyphenologist.co.uk> 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any

Graham Seed

May 5, 2007, 6:40:03 AM5/5/07

"Dave Fawthrop" <inv...@hyphenologist.co.uk.invalid> wrote in

> |!Well, if you own a GPS you know what to do :-)
>
> As one who exploits, see sig, the letter of Copyright Laws by making etext
> from Out Of Copyright books, I am amazed that the main roads which occur
> on
> Out Of Copyright OS maps are not included.
> --

...which shows the limitations of the ambitions of this project. Downloading
GPS tracks is one thing but turning old maps into digital data and using
that to provide background info is a big task.

Graham

Roy

May 5, 2007, 7:04:46 AM5/5/07
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
> On Sat, 05 May 2007 10:53:01 +0100, Roy <x@y> wrote:
>

> |!There is a lot more to mapping than GPS tracks. There are already
> |!established systems of sharing paths and routes.
> |!It's the background mapping (features) which are important
>
> Like contour lines, *Danger Areas*,

aka "bloody big drops"

Honestly, this sums up my argument against blindly following GPS tracks
(which I know no-one on this ng does) without proper reference to a
detailed map (and the ability to know where you are on it helps).

> |!and I don't
> |!see anything on the examples you gave which is likely to tempt me away
> |!from 0S 1:25000
>
> Amen to that. We even use OS Explorers when driving in country areas.

Oh I make do with 50k when driving - that's my road rallying background.

Roy.