camelbac hydration

steve

Nov 2, 2002, 10:10:42 AM11/2/02
Hi I'm pretty new to this group, and i'm sure that you've probably had
this problem mentioned in the past, but seeing as i am lazy, could
someone please humour me by helping me with the following problem

I have a camelbac hydration system, which i have used mainly in
summer, as in winter it begins to freeze on obviously on higher
routes, i have recently bought a kit from camelbac to protect the
tubing with a neoprene cover and a beefier delivery tube cover... I
still think that even after this i will need somekind of supplement
added to the water bag, to stop it freezing up too, just wondered if
anyone had used some kind of aditive to the liquid they where using
and what there experiences where...

all the best
steve ;)

Paul Saunders

Nov 2, 2002, 10:47:18 AM11/2/02
"steve" <blav...@hotmail.com> wrote

> I have a camelbac hydration system, which i have used mainly in
> summer, as in winter it begins to freeze

Might I suggest that if you're going out walking in freezing cold weather, a
flask of hot tea or coffee might be more appropriate? It may be less
convenient but it's definitely more pleasant to drink and can be a good
morale booster if conditions get really bad.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

Stuart Baldwin

Nov 2, 2002, 4:54:36 PM11/2/02

I agree with Paul about the psychomological advantages of having a
warm drink to hand and would suggest that the OP try to find room in
his pack for a flask. But one of the advantages of using a hydration
system is that it allows you to keep going with fewer stops, which may
be no bad thing in winter when the hours of daylight are so
restricted.

I've no experience of using hydration systems in seriously cold
conditions but if the bladder is near your back and the tube is
insulated, I'd expect it to be ok as long as you use it little and
often to keep the liquid moving through the tube.

Alternatively, alcohol could be used to lower the freezing point of
the fluid, but you might want to weigh up the pros and cons of such a
solution with some care...

John

Nov 3, 2002, 2:01:26 AM11/3/02
Once you've had your drink, blow the water back down into the bag. If
there's no water in the tube, it doesn't freeze.

Common sense really.....

Pity the companies that make these things don't tell you that. Selling
insulating tubes is obviously more profitable ;)

It works with my Platypus. Give it a try before spending out.

Phil Cook

Nov 3, 2002, 4:41:22 AM11/3/02
On Sat, 02 Nov 2002 21:54:36 +0000, Stuart Baldwin wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:47:18 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
><pv...@wildwales.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>"steve" <blav...@hotmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> I have a camelbac hydration system, which i have used mainly in
>>> summer, as in winter it begins to freeze
>>
>>Might I suggest that if you're going out walking in freezing cold weather, a
>>flask of hot tea or coffee might be more appropriate? It may be less
>>convenient but it's definitely more pleasant to drink and can be a good
>>morale booster if conditions get really bad.
>
>I agree with Paul about the psychomological advantages of having a
>warm drink to hand and would suggest that the OP try to find room in
>his pack for a flask. But one of the advantages of using a hydration
>system is that it allows you to keep going with fewer stops, which may
>be no bad thing in winter when the hours of daylight are so
>restricted.

Stop walking put pack down get flask from top pour cup full drink put
flask back in pack pick up pack. Must take all of four minutes. OK so
you can add in a little time for fishing for a choccy bar and blowing
on the drink cos it is too hot but you can always look at the view if
there is one or get your breath back.

>I've no experience of using hydration systems in seriously cold
>conditions but if the bladder is near your back and the tube is
>insulated, I'd expect it to be ok as long as you use it little and
>often to keep the liquid moving through the tube.

Blowing the liquid back up the tube into the bag will mean the liquid
is less likely to freeze.

Stuart Baldwin

Nov 3, 2002, 4:33:24 PM11/3/02

Smart thinking!

(And if you get it set up right you can amuse yourself and your
walking companions, if any, with bathroom sound effects.)

druidh

Nov 3, 2002, 6:30:41 PM11/3/02

"Stuart Baldwin" <ne...@boxatrix.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Anybody worked out just "how much" alcohol would be needed to make a
significant difference. Presumably, neat Austrian Wine would do.

--

druidh

Not FAR to respond. . . . .

Chris Game

Nov 4, 2002, 6:41:35 AM11/4/02
In an earlier post, Phil Cook said...

> Blowing the liquid back up the tube into the bag will mean the liquid
> is less likely to freeze.

Spoilsport! It's much more fun watching the contents of these things
siphon themselves onto the ground when left unattended by some
inattentive walker.

Chris Game <chrisgame@!yahoodotcodotuk>

Phil Cook

Nov 4, 2002, 9:13:31 AM11/4/02
On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:30:41 -0000, druidh wrote:

>> Alternatively, alcohol could be used to lower the freezing point of
>> the fluid, but you might want to weigh up the pros and cons of such a
>> solution with some care...
>

>Anybody worked out just "how much" alcohol would be needed to make a
>significant difference. Presumably, neat Austrian Wine would do.

Ethylene glycol poisoning is not pleasant, though one of the
treatments involves alcohol.
http://www.embbs.com/cr/alc/alc7.html

druidh

Nov 4, 2002, 4:41:07 PM11/4/02
"Phil Cook" <urw...@p-t-cook.freeserveSPAMTRAP.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:30:41 -0000, druidh wrote:
>
> >> Alternatively, alcohol could be used to lower the freezing point of
> >> the fluid, but you might want to weigh up the pros and cons of such a
> >> solution with some care...
> >

> >Anybody worked out just "how much" alcohol would be needed to make a
> >significant difference. Presumably, neat Austrian Wine would do.
>
> Ethylene glycol poisoning is not pleasant, though one of the
> treatments involves alcohol.
> http://www.embbs.com/cr/alc/alc7.html

Wot - I can poison myself with Ethypene Glycol and they'll give me alcohol
to make me better ?? Hmm - where's the nearest Halfords??

steve

Nov 9, 2002, 5:15:28 AM11/9/02
dicta...@hotmail.com (John) wrote in message news:<853d0c3a.02110...@posting.google.com>...

Hi there john

Just to say thank you for your advice on my hydration query I think
that you where the only one to come up with a serious reply...i will
be taking up your advice on my next trip. To the other
replies....personally i don't drink tea or coffee, and to me its more
sensible to keep on moving in the frozen depths of winter than to make
regular stops to grap a gulp of liquid, obviously you need to stop
sometime, but i try to make it a minimum when the weather is freezin
or conditions are deteriorating...thanks though to all who
replied....;)

steve

Paul Saunders

Nov 10, 2002, 8:16:08 AM11/10/02
"steve" <blav...@hotmail.com> wrote

> I think
> that you where the only one to come up with a serious reply...

Mine was a serious reply.

> To the other
> replies....personally i don't drink tea or coffee, and to me its more
> sensible to keep on moving in the frozen depths of winter than to make
> regular stops to grap a gulp of liquid, obviously you need to stop
> sometime, but i try to make it a minimum when the weather is freezin

Well I do drink tea and coffee, and being a photographer I tend to stop a
lot, sometimes for a long time, and many of the best photo opportunities
tend to happen when it's freezing cold unfortunately, especially at sunset
or sunrise... :-)

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

Simon Caldwell

Nov 10, 2002, 12:11:41 PM11/10/02
On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:16:08 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<pv...@wildwales.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>"steve" <blav...@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>> I think
>> that you where the only one to come up with a serious reply...
>
>Mine was a serious reply.

I'll add to Paul's serious reply. I take a flask, usually of hot
ribena as this (a) gives you a sugar fix, but more importantly (b)
still tastes OK even after a few hours in a flask.
I don't bother with my Platypus in winter due to the freezing
problems, so in addition to the flask I take a good old Sigg bottle of
water. "Little and often" seems to make less difference (to me) in
the winter.

Hope this was serious enough for you.

Simon

--