Simple Mind Game

Malc

Apr 5, 2003, 9:21:16 AM4/5/03
A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the
way it does but it passes a minute or too.

Malc

> MIND GAME - - - 2% or 98%
>

> This is strange...can you figure it out?
>
> Are you the 2% or 98% of the population?
>

> Follow the instructions! NO PEEKING AHEAD!
>
> Do the following exercise, guaranteed to raise an eyebrow.
>

> There's no trick or surprise.
>
> Just follow these instructions, and answer the questions
> one at a time and as quickly as you can!
>
> Again, as quickly as you can but don't advance until you've
> done each of them ... really.
>

> Now, scroll down (but not too fast, you might miss something).

> Think of a number from 1 to 10

> Multiply that number by 9

> If the number is a 2-digit number, add the digits together

> Now subtract 5

> Determine which letter in the alphabet corresponds to
> the number you ended up with (example: 1=a, 2=b, 3=c,etc.)

> Think of a country that starts with that letter

> Remember the last letter of the name of that country

> Think of the name of an animal that starts with that letter

> Remember the last letter in the name of that animal.

> Think of the name of a fruit that starts with that letter.

> Are you thinking of a Kangaroo in Denmark eating an Orange?
>

> I told you this was FREAKY!! If not, you're among the 2% of the
> population whose minds are different enough to think of something
> else.
>
> 98% of people will answer with kangaroos in Denmark when given
> this exercise.

Abso

Apr 5, 2003, 9:32:25 AM4/5/03
Malc wrote:
> A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the
> way it does but it passes a minute or too.

I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.

What do I get?

--
Abso

David Reid

Apr 5, 2003, 9:43:59 AM4/5/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, Abso <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> spake
thusly:

>Malc wrote:
>> A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the
>> way it does but it passes a minute or too.
>
>I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.

YAMAICM5DAEI

Actually I've seen a variation of this before only last time it was the
second letter of the country and the colour of the animule, I got a
beige Jackal in Djibouti that time.

>What do I get?

An apple?

--
David Reid Da...@disarray.org.uk http://www.disarray.org.uk
You can mock now, but just wait until I'm as famous as whoever it was

Abso

Apr 5, 2003, 10:28:03 AM4/5/03
David Reid wrote:
> In the outpouring of consciousness known as
> <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, Abso <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> spake
> thusly:
>> Malc wrote:
>>> A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the
>>> way it does but it passes a minute or too.
>>
>> I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.
>> YAMAICM5DAEI

You are X and I claim my 5 free Djubuti apple eating Iguanas?

Go on then, I give up, what's X?

--
Abso

Rusty Hinge

Apr 5, 2003, 10:35:45 AM4/5/03
The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

> > Are you thinking of a Kangaroo in Denmark eating an Orange?

I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid新queak snailything zetnet搾o暉k excange d.p. with p to reply.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 5, 2003, 10:35:36 AM4/5/03
The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

> > Are you thinking of a Kangaroo in Denmark eating an Orange?

I thought of an Ibex in Dahomi eating a xylocarp but then I checked how
to spell Dahomey -

David Reid

Apr 5, 2003, 10:41:35 AM4/5/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<b6msm5$ua9$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, Abso <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> spake
thusly:
>David Reid wrote:
>> In the outpouring of consciousness known as
>> <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, Abso <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> spake
>> thusly:
>>>
>>> I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.
>>> YAMAICM5DAEI
>
>You are X and I claim my 5 free Djubuti apple eating Iguanas?
>
>Go on then, I give up, what's X?

Me.

The Internet is the real world, anything else is just a figment of your
warped imagination.

Guy King

Apr 5, 2003, 10:34:17 AM4/5/03
The message <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>
from "Abso" <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> contains these words:

> I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.

> What do I get?

A D- for mental arithmetic.

--
Skipweasel:-
"...and ninthly...."

Richard Robinson

Apr 5, 2003, 11:52:40 AM4/5/03

Am inexplicable sossidge.

I blame Sn!pe.

--
Richard Robinson

Rusty Hinge

Apr 5, 2003, 11:57:37 AM4/5/03
The message <200304051...@zetnet.co.uk>
from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> The message <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>
> from "Abso" <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> contains these words:

> > I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.

> > What do I get?

> A D- for mental arithmetic.

No. D- to you. He thimked of 1

Guy King

Apr 5, 2003, 12:09:42 PM4/5/03
The message <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>
from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

> > > I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.

> > > What do I get?

> > A D- for mental arithmetic.

> No. D- to you. He thimked of 1

I didn't do the test!

David Reid

Apr 5, 2003, 12:16:35 PM4/5/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<200304051...@zetnet.co.uk>, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
spake thusly:

>The message <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>
>from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

>> > A D- for mental arithmetic.
>
>> No. D- to you. He thimked of 1
>
>I didn't do the test!

Automatic fail then.

The cogno-intellectual implications of this research create a whole new
paradigm for the subject.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 5, 2003, 12:25:04 PM4/5/03
The message <slrnb8u232....@beulah.demon.co.uk>
from Richard Robinson <ric...@beulah.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> In article <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, Abso wrote:
> > Malc wrote:
> >> A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the
> >> way it does but it passes a minute or too.
> >
> > I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.
> >
> > What do I get?

> Am inexplicable sossidge.

Are that a froot?

> I blame Sn!pe.

Old froot.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 5, 2003, 12:36:17 PM4/5/03
The message <200304051...@zetnet.co.uk>
from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
> The message <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>
> from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

> > > A D- for mental arithmetic.

> > No. D- to you. He thimked of 1

> I didn't do the test!

D- for effort then.

Fenny

Apr 5, 2003, 12:46:45 PM4/5/03
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
xenop...@hotmail.com say...
> On 5 Apr 2003 06:21:16 -0800, malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc)

> wrote:
>
> >> 98% of people will answer with kangaroos in Denmark when given
> >> this exercise.
>
> ITYM 98% of the people who CBA to finsih it.

Or even start it, looking at the number of lines.
--
Fenny
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Oiorpata

Apr 5, 2003, 1:09:52 PM4/5/03
wrote:

>A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the

>way it does but it passes a minute or too.
>
>Malc
>
>> MIND GAME - - - 2% or 98%
>>

>> This is strange...can you figure it out?
>>
>> Are you the 2% or 98% of the population?

Is 98% of the shed in that 2% of the population? And how can 98%
possibly come up with the same answer anyhow, it just doesn't molish
frafr.

Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
serpently didn't.
--

Kran
oiorpata at hotmail.com

Oiorpata

Apr 5, 2003, 1:11:33 PM4/5/03
On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:35:45 +0100, Rusty Hinge
<tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote:

>The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
>from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:
>
>> > Are you thinking of a Kangaroo in Denmark eating an Orange?
>> >
>I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.

Phew, that makes me feel a lot better about having conjured up a
raspberry eating lemur in Brazil.

Guy King

Apr 5, 2003, 1:18:34 PM4/5/03
The message <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>
from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

> > I didn't do the test!

> D- for effort then.

Once, and only once, I managed to get 1E at fpubby...1 for acheivement
and E for effort. I have to report that it took consdierable rssbeg
behind the scenes to do so.

Guy King

Apr 5, 2003, 1:17:43 PM4/5/03
The message <FHjC$CXz9w...@nildram.co.uk>
from David Reid <da...@disarray.org.uk> contains these words:

> >I didn't do the test!
> >
> Automatic fail then.

I prefer to see it as proof of intelligence and as such I get a bye to
the next level.

David Reid

Apr 5, 2003, 2:05:25 PM4/5/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<2r6u8v8idiisdlaci...@4ax.com>, Oiorpata
<oior...@hotmail.com> spake thusly:

>On 5 Apr 2003 06:21:16 -0800, malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc)
>wrote:
>
>>A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the
>>way it does but it passes a minute or too.
>>
>>Malc
>>
>>> MIND GAME - - - 2% or 98%
>>>

>>> This is strange...can you figure it out?
>>>
>>> Are you the 2% or 98% of the population?
>
>Is 98% of the shed in that 2% of the population? And how can 98%
>possibly come up with the same answer anyhow, it just doesn't molish
>frafr.

98% of the population who can add up properly might be more to the
point...

>Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
>serpently didn't.

It seems you aren't part of the population who can add up.

<>< ghoti

Cerumen

Apr 5, 2003, 2:07:14 PM4/5/03

"Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> The message <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>
> from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

> > > A D- for mental arithmetic.
>
> > No. D- to you. He thimked of 1
>
> I didn't do the test!

What test?
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Pattledom

Apr 5, 2003, 3:28:13 PM4/5/03
Oiorpata wrote:

> Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
> serpently didn't.

Not I... I conformed as far as Denmark, but a Koala grabbed my attention
before the Kangaroo. Now if they'd put in a question about which country
the animal was from, I could have wandered back on track.

--
Andrew Pattle

Whitedog

Apr 5, 2003, 3:43:25 PM4/5/03
On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 20:09:52 +0200, Oiorpata <oior...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
>serpently didn't.

Yep, two of us here, independantlyly.

.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'
`-,,, ,_ ;'~U'
_,-' ,'`-__; '--.
(_/'~~ ''''(;
whit...@SPAMLESSuk-rec-sheds.org.uk
whitedog...@TAKEAWAYhotmail.com

Suzi

Apr 5, 2003, 4:08:45 PM4/5/03
In article <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com> in
uk.rec.sheds, Malc <malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk> wibbled...

[Snip]
> > Are you thinking of a ........ in ....... eating ........?

Nope.
Koala eating an Apricot here... although the country was right.

Suzi

Suzi

Apr 5, 2003, 4:08:47 PM4/5/03
In article <qmSZnGY1...@nildram.co.uk> in uk.rec.sheds, David Reid
<da...@disarray.org.uk> wibbled...

> In the outpouring of consciousness known as
> <2r6u8v8idiisdlaci...@4ax.com>, Oiorpata
> <oior...@hotmail.com> spake thusly:

[Snip]

> >Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
> >serpently didn't.
>
> It seems you aren't part of the population who can add up.

<nod> There are only so many countries which start with "D" (the number
that you are guaranteed to come up with from the maths they use)...

Suzi

David Reid

Apr 5, 2003, 4:43:48 PM4/5/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<MPG.18f9529a8...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>, Suzi <su...@lspace.org>
spake thusly:
Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican Republic,
Djibouti and of course Denmark.

International Goatkeepers Society, member number: 001905

Frank Erskine

Apr 5, 2003, 4:59:09 PM4/5/03
In article <5xqtikcU...@nildram.co.uk>, David Reid
<da...@disarray.org.uk> writes

>In the outpouring of consciousness known as
><MPG.18f9529a8...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>, Suzi <su...@lspace.org>
>spake thusly:
>>In article <qmSZnGY1...@nildram.co.uk> in uk.rec.sheds, David Reid
>><da...@disarray.org.uk> wibbled...
>>
>>> In the outpouring of consciousness known as
>>> <2r6u8v8idiisdlaci...@4ax.com>, Oiorpata
>>> <oior...@hotmail.com> spake thusly:
>>[Snip]
>>>
>>> It seems you aren't part of the population who can add up.
>>
>><nod> There are only so many countries which start with "D" (the number
>>that you are guaranteed to come up with from the maths they use)...
>>
>Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican Republic,
>Djibouti and of course Denmark.

Deutchland?
--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Sena

Apr 5, 2003, 6:08:53 PM4/5/03
malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk said...
> > Do the following exercise, guaranteed to raise an eyebrow.
> >
> > There's no trick or surprise.

No trick? Even with my mathematical ability - or lack of -
I can see how this jbexes, 'cos that's how the 9x table
jbexes, innit.

--
Fran

Teach my children not to speak to strangers?
Good grief no. Everyone I know was a stranger to me once -
including my own children.
Then again, in some ways they still are.

Sena

Apr 5, 2003, 6:36:08 PM4/5/03
tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org said...

> The message <200304051...@zetnet.co.uk>
> from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
> > The message <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>
> > from "Abso" <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> contains these words:
>
> > > I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.
>
> > > What do I get?
>
> > A D- for mental arithmetic.
>
> No. D- to you. He thimked of 1

It'd still jbex.

Sena

Apr 5, 2003, 6:40:10 PM4/5/03
oior...@hotmail.com said...
Most people will, because the number you're left with,
regardless of the one you choose at first, will be 4, which
translates to D. Most people will think of Denmark,
followed by Kangaroo, and then Orange. The whole thing
hangs on certain peculiarities of the 9x table.

Sena

Apr 5, 2003, 6:41:51 PM4/5/03
su...@lspace.org said...

Are you me? ITISBT.

Andy Spragg

Apr 5, 2003, 6:45:12 PM4/5/03
xenop...@hotmail.com pushed briefly to the front of the queue on
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:01:36 +0100, and nailed this to the shed door:

^ wrote:
^
^ >> 98% of people will answer with kangaroos in Denmark when given
^ >> this exercise.
^
^ ITYM 98% of the people who CBA to finsih it.

ICBA, and I would have been in the 98%, 'cept I got stuck cos I
couldn't thimk of a nanimule begininning with k ...

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

FWIW(NVM),IMO(NVH)...

Oiorpata

Apr 5, 2003, 9:12:24 PM4/5/03
On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:05:25 +0100, David Reid <da...@disarray.org.uk>
wrote:

>In the outpouring of consciousness known as
><2r6u8v8idiisdlaci...@4ax.com>, Oiorpata

>>Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I

>>serpently didn't.
>
>It seems you aren't part of the population who can add up.

Nope, never have been, never will be. Thank glod for claculators or
I'd never have got me top grades in maffs, chemistry an physics.

Oiorpata

Apr 5, 2003, 9:15:51 PM4/5/03
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 00:40:10 +0100, Sena <sh...@ynys.fslife.co.uk>
wrote:

>oior...@hotmail.com said...
>> On 5 Apr 2003 06:21:16 -0800, malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc)
>> wrote:

>> Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
>> serpently didn't.
>>
>Most people will, because the number you're left with,
>regardless of the one you choose at first, will be 4, which
>translates to D. Most people will think of Denmark,
>followed by Kangaroo, and then Orange. The whole thing
>hangs on certain peculiarities of the 9x table.

The 9x table? Wow, respect.

I gave up somewhere around the 6x table, never could quite unforget
the one that had all the 7s in. All the other little winkles'd sit
there mouthing 7 times 7 is (pause to find answer on calculator)49,
and I'd be bored silly, looking out the window and wondering if you
could walk on top of clouds, if you had a long enough ladder.

Richard Robinson

Apr 5, 2003, 10:09:53 PM4/5/03
In article <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>, Rusty Hinge wrote:
> The message <slrnb8u232....@beulah.demon.co.uk>
> from Richard Robinson <ric...@beulah.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>> >
>> > I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.
>> >
>> > What do I get?
>
>> Am inexplicable sossidge.
>
> Are that a froot?

I don't thimk so. They don't grow on trees, I'm happy to say.

What's the test, anyway ? Something about having the seeds inside them, or
something ? I can't remember. Nor am I prepared to make any comment about
what sossidges might have inside 'em, so there.

--
Richard Robinson

Richard Robinson

Apr 5, 2003, 10:09:54 PM4/5/03
In article <200304051...@zetnet.co.uk>, Guy King wrote:
> The message <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>
> from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:
>
>> > I didn't do the test!
>
>> D- for effort then.
>
> Once, and only once, I managed to get 1E at fpubby...1 for acheivement
> and E for effort. I have to report that it took consdierable rssbeg
> behind the scenes to do so.

When I wer a fghqrag, they used to give us a multiplechoicetest at the end
of term, so as to give us some numbers to tell us apart by. One bloke
achieved vast respect by managing to score 0%

Rusty Hinge

Apr 5, 2003, 10:49:40 PM4/5/03
The message <3e8f69bf....@news.global.net.uk>
from spa...@globalnet.co.uk (Andy Spragg) contains these words:

> ICBA, and I would have been in the 98%, 'cept I got stuck cos I
> couldn't thimk of a nanimule begininning with k ...

Kyloe? Kob? Kinkajou? Kermit? Kudu? Keeshond? Komodo dragon? Kaama?
Keffel? Kennet? King Charles Spaniard? Kid? Kitten? Kodiac Bear?

Rusty Hinge

Apr 5, 2003, 11:19:55 PM4/5/03
The message <5xqtikcU...@nildram.co.uk>

from David Reid <da...@disarray.org.uk> contains these words:

> Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican Republic,

> Djibouti and of course Denmark.

Dubai?

Cerumen

Apr 6, 2003, 12:47:11 AM4/6/03

"David Reid" <da...@disarray.org.uk> wrote in message

> Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican Republic,
> Djibouti and of course Denmark.

Deutchland and Druk Yul to name just two more

Cerumen

Apr 6, 2003, 3:01:15 AM4/6/03

"Rusty Hinge" <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote in message

> The message <5xqtikcU...@nildram.co.uk>
> from David Reid <da...@disarray.org.uk> contains these words:
>
> > Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican Republic,
> > Djibouti and of course Denmark.
>
> Dubai?

Or indeed Doha, but they are just part of a larger thingy aren't they
really?

Mel Rimmer

Apr 6, 2003, 4:47:19 AM4/6/03
In article <slrnb8v60p....@beulah.demon.co.uk>, Richard Robinson
<ric...@beulah.demon.co.uk> writes

>When I wer a fghqrag, they used to give us a multiplechoicetest at the end
>of term, so as to give us some numbers to tell us apart by. One bloke
>achieved vast respect by managing to score 0%

When we did A'level General Studies, you had to know a foreign language.
One chap in our class didn't know any, but he learned a little Serapu
for the test. In the mock he performed at worse than chance on that part
of the test (it was multiple-guess). We figured out that he would have
got more points submitting the same set of answers for the Latin test,
rather than the Serapu.
--
Mel Rimmer

David Reid

Apr 6, 2003, 5:35:14 AM4/6/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<osGeZAAg...@btopenworld.com>, Mel Rimmer
<mel.r...@btopenworld.com> spake thusly:

Sounds similar to ours, I knew a tiny bit of French so I picked that
one. It was a comprehension test with half the questions in English and
half in French, I had a go at the English questions and put down B for
all the French questions. I got an 'A' for General Studies so it must
have worked.

Plinth.

David Reid

Apr 6, 2003, 5:41:37 AM4/6/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<1bRja.7105$pK2....@news.indigo.ie>, Cerumen
<spam_th...@suespammer.con> spake thusly:

Dubai is a state in the United Arab Emirates, and also the name of the
capital city of that state, and Doha is the capital city of Qatar. So
neither of them are countries.

Plinth.

Guy King

Apr 6, 2003, 6:06:39 AM4/6/03
The message <3e8f69bf....@news.global.net.uk>
from spa...@globalnet.co.uk (Andy Spragg) contains these words:

> ICBA, and I would have been in the 98%, 'cept I got stuck cos I
> couldn't thimk of a nanimule begininning with k ...

Kakapo. HTH

Guy King

Apr 6, 2003, 6:08:31 AM4/6/03
The message <200304060...@sheddiknights.org>

from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

> Dubai?

Depends what you're fryying.

Guy King

Apr 6, 2003, 6:08:16 AM4/6/03
The message <200304060...@sheddiknights.org>
from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

> King Charles Spaniard?

Just been to a car boot sale in Cannock and was initially startled at
how many Staffordshire Bull Terriers there were...until I realised I was
in Staffordshire.

Malc

Apr 6, 2003, 8:14:39 AM4/6/03
Oiorpata <oior...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<817u8v8ubicqsic8r...@4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:35:45 +0100, Rusty Hinge
> <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote:
>
> >The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
> >from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

> >I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.
>
> Phew, that makes me feel a lot better about having conjured up a
> raspberry eating lemur in Brazil.

You are unique. The country has to start wiv D

Malc

Malc

Apr 6, 2003, 8:15:59 AM4/6/03
Oiorpata <oior...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2r6u8v8idiisdlaci...@4ax.com>...

> On 5 Apr 2003 06:21:16 -0800, malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc)
> wrote:
>
> >A friend mailed this to me. It's pretty obvious why it turns out the
> >way it does but it passes a minute or too.
> >
> >Malc
> >
> >> MIND GAME - - - 2% or 98%
> >>

> >> This is strange...can you figure it out?
> >>
> >> Are you the 2% or 98% of the population?
>
> Is 98% of the shed in that 2% of the population? And how can 98%
> possibly come up with the same answer anyhow, it just doesn't molish
> frafr.
>
> Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
> serpently didn't.

I reckon the Shed must be in the 2%. I got a dog in deutchland eating a grapefruit

--
MAlc

Guy King

Apr 6, 2003, 8:26:00 AM4/6/03
The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

> > Phew, that makes me feel a lot better about having conjured up a

> > raspberry eating lemur in Brazil.

> You are unique. The country has to start wiv D

Only if you're playing by the rules. The shed ain't too good at that.

Ron Clark

Apr 6, 2003, 8:31:12 AM4/6/03
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:08:31 +0100, in the message
<200304061...@zetnet.co.uk>, Guy King wrote this, or at least
some of this :-

>The message <200304060...@sheddiknights.org>
>from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:
>
>> Dubai?
>
>Depends what you're fryying.

I'm a bit Dubaious about this

--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Fenny

Apr 6, 2003, 10:21:30 AM4/6/03
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
David Reid say...

> Sounds similar to ours, I knew a tiny bit of French so I picked that
> one. It was a comprehension test with half the questions in English and
> half in French, I had a go at the English questions and put down B for
> all the French questions. I got an 'A' for General Studies so it must
> have worked.

It always amazed me that peeps cud get anything less than a B in General
Studies. It were multiguess with lots of different sections so everyone
had a chance to get a bit they liked. I were a bit disappointed I only
got a B when Bro got an A.
--
Fenny
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Fenny

Apr 6, 2003, 10:21:34 AM4/6/03
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
Oiorpata say...

> Nope, never have been, never will be. Thank glod for claculators or
> I'd never have got me top grades in maffs, chemistry an physics.

We are urneavat about surveying & levelling ATM, wot requires lots of
adding up & taking away of numbers. Nex week we are going to measure up
a site for anna signment. As our lecherer is away, someone else is
looking after us for the morning. Parrotly, our chap has left strict
instrukshuns that I am not allowed to let anyone copy my jbexings, cos
they haster do it all themsleves. Little does he kno that I shall
merely type the readings into my trusty spreadsheet and go make a cuppa
while it tells me the answers.

But I have usually finished the examples in clars before he has handed
the calculators out to everyone else.
--
Fenny
Adult, n.: One old enough to know better.

Guy King

Apr 6, 2003, 12:45:47 PM4/6/03
The message <MPG.18fa2918...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>
from allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny) contains
these words:

> But I have usually finished the examples in clars before he has handed
> the calculators out to everyone else.

I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.

Jill Russell

Apr 6, 2003, 11:46:04 AM4/6/03
In article <e93v8v4gdjjagln54...@4ax.com>, Oiorpata
<oior...@hotmail.com> writes

>The 9x table? Wow, respect.

You can do this on your fingers. 9 times is one of the bestist.

>I gave up somewhere around the 6x table, never could quite unforget
>the one that had all the 7s in. All the other little winkles'd sit
>there mouthing 7 times 7 is (pause to find answer on calculator)49,
>and I'd be bored silly, looking out the window and wondering if you
>could walk on top of clouds, if you had a long enough ladder.
I also happen to know that you can recite any timeses tables correctedly
just by being a quarter second later than the restest of the clarse.
This is how I sing in tune. No you don't want to be next to me when I
do it.
--
Jill

coj

Apr 6, 2003, 1:08:22 PM4/6/03
Guy King wrote:
> The message <MPG.18fa2918...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>
> from allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny)
> contains these words:
>
>> But I have usually finished the examples in clars before he has
>> handed the calculators out to everyone else.
>
> I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.

My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999

Jon Gurr

Apr 6, 2003, 12:52:36 PM4/6/03
Cerumen wrote:
> "David Reid" <da...@disarray.org.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican
>> Republic, Djibouti and of course Denmark.
>

> Deutchland and Druk Yul to name just two more

I fort Deutschland first, then Dubai, but decided that it isn't a
proper country, so Denmark was really third choice anyway. Made up for
it by then picking Koala anyway.

Anyway, does the shedde need a test to tell us we ain't particularly
normal?

--
JonG
"Foreward" he cried from the rear, and the front rank died.

Whitedog

Apr 6, 2003, 1:38:08 PM4/6/03
On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:43:48 +0100, David Reid <da...@disarray.org.uk>
wrote:

<snip>
>Djibouti
<snip>

Land use:
arable land: 0%
permanent crops: 0%
other: 100% (1998 est.)

Natural hazards:
earthquakes; droughts; occasional cyclonic disturbances from the
Indian Ocean bring heavy rains and flash floods

Environment - current issues:
inadequate supplies of potable water; desertification; endangered
species

Population:
472,810 (July 2002 est.)

Oh dear, sounds grim.
What are 472,8** people doing there exactly?
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'
`-,,, ,_ ;'~U'
_,-' ,'`-__; '--.
(_/'~~ ''''(;
whit...@SPAMLESSuk-rec-sheds.org.uk
whitedog...@TAKEAWAYhotmail.com

Guy King

Apr 6, 2003, 1:48:02 PM4/6/03
The message <b6pmu2$7pia4$1...@ID-85784.news.dfncis.de>
from "coj" <c_o_jones_99...@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> > I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.

> My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999

Ah, stochastic calculators. Did it have a nice strong Brownian Motion inducer?

Whitedog

Apr 6, 2003, 2:00:48 PM4/6/03

Sure it wasn't a C5?

Nick Leverton

Apr 6, 2003, 2:03:34 PM4/6/03
In article <200304061...@zetnet.co.uk>,

Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>The message <200304060...@sheddiknights.org>
>from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:
>
>> Dubai?
>
>Depends what you're fryying.

The bacon fred is ...

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself ...

Nick Leverton

Apr 6, 2003, 2:06:07 PM4/6/03
In article <iffJ16A8...@jirus.demon.co.uk>,

Jill Russell <jrus...@jirus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I also happen to know that you can recite any timeses tables correctedly
>just by being a quarter second later than the restest of the clarse.
>This is how I sing in tune. No you don't want to be next to me when I
>do it.

Jill, welcome back, mind the arj nail there that's to hang yer cardie
on, have a PP and tell us how you've been ?

David Reid

Apr 6, 2003, 2:14:21 PM4/6/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<b6pq5m$gp5$2...@warren.leverton.org>, Nick Leverton <ni...@leverton.org>
spake thusly:

>In article <200304061...@zetnet.co.uk>,
>Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>The message <200304060...@sheddiknights.org>
>>from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:
>>
>>> Dubai?
>>
>>Depends what you're fryying.
>
>The bacon fred is ...

Not in Dubai I shouldn't think.

International Goatkeepers Society, member number: 001905

coj

Apr 6, 2003, 2:22:07 PM4/6/03
Guy King wrote:
> The message <b6pmu2$7pia4$1...@ID-85784.news.dfncis.de>
> from "coj" <c_o_jones_99...@hotmail.com> contains these
> words:
>
>>> I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.
>
>> My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999
>
> Ah, stochastic calculators. Did it have a nice strong Brownian Motion
> inducer?

When the battery ran down the answer useter count backwards ...

Nick Leverton

Apr 6, 2003, 2:55:07 PM4/6/03
In article <b6pmu2$7pia4$1...@ID-85784.news.dfncis.de>,

coj <c_o_jones_99...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Guy King wrote:
>>
>> I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.
>
>My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999

I'd disremembered about that, must put some batgogs in mine and see if
I can find the bug again ...

Fenny

Apr 6, 2003, 3:09:21 PM4/6/03
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
coj say...
Give over, or I'll havter tell the joak about the engineer, the
marketing guy & the accountant.
--
Fenny
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Fenny

Apr 6, 2003, 3:15:03 PM4/6/03
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
coj say...

> > I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.
>
> My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999

My ZX81 sed the square root of -4 was -2. This woz when I was 6th form
& doing Very Hard Sums about imaginary numbers. I spose iffen the
numbers are imaginary, you can just make up the answers as yer
imagination wanders.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 6, 2003, 3:53:56 PM4/6/03
The message <b6pt6b$lgo$1...@warren.leverton.org>
from ni...@leverton.org (Nick Leverton) contains these words:

> In article <b6pmu2$7pia4$1...@ID-85784.news.dfncis.de>,
> coj <c_o_jones_99...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Guy King wrote:
> >>
> >> I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.
> >
> >My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999

> I'd disremembered about that, must put some batgogs in mine and see if
> I can find the bug again ...

I goov it's in division, not addition.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid新queak snailything zetnet搾o暉k excange d.p. with p to reply.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 6, 2003, 3:58:12 PM4/6/03
The message <MPG.18fa8d106...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>

from allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny) contains
these words:

> My ZX81 sed the square root of -4 was -2. This woz when I was 6th form

> & doing Very Hard Sums about imaginary numbers. I spose iffen the
> numbers are imaginary, you can just make up the answers as yer
> imagination wanders.

Arbut, in Very Hard Sums there are square roots of negative numbers,
especially when applide to the behaviour of subatomic particules.

Is just that Sir Clive were a bit ahead of his thyme.

Jon Gurr

Apr 6, 2003, 4:25:25 PM4/6/03
David Reid wrote:
> In the outpouring of consciousness known as
> <b6pq5m$gp5$2...@warren.leverton.org>, Nick Leverton <ni...@leverton.org>
> spake thusly:
>
>> In article <200304061...@zetnet.co.uk>,
>> Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> The message <200304060...@sheddiknights.org>
>>> from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:

>>> Depends what you're fryying.
>>

>> The bacon fred is ...
>>
> Not in Dubai I shouldn't think.

Friend of mine jbexes in Dubai - they were warned to 'keep their heads
down and avoid obviously American activities like Nightclubs and
MacDonalds' - which inconvenienced then not a jot.
He previously jbexed in Saudi, where the bacon supplies used to arrive
by sea in the Diplomatic Ruddy Great Big Wooden Box. When the locals
had an idea of what was in it, they would keep it delayed for a day or
two sat on the dockside at 40degrees, untill the smell was awful.

coj

Apr 6, 2003, 5:07:10 PM4/6/03

"Fenny" <allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk> wrote in
message news:MPG.18fa8d106...@News.CIS.DFN.DE...

> Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
> coj say...
> > > I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.
> >
> > My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999
> >
> My ZX81 sed the square root of -4 was -2. This woz when I was 6th form
> & doing Very Hard Sums about imaginary numbers. I spose iffen the
> numbers are imaginary, you can just make up the answers as yer
> imagination wanders.

Go and lurk in sci.physics and watch the postings of fcnprzna ...

Frank Erskine

Apr 6, 2003, 5:39:54 PM4/6/03
In article <3E908D35...@uk-rec-sheds.org.uk>, Jon Gurr <dr-jong@uk-
rec-sheds.org.uk> writes

>Friend of mine jbexes in Dubai - they were warned to 'keep their heads
>down and avoid obviously American activities like Nightclubs and
>MacDonalds' - which inconvenienced then not a jot.
>He previously jbexed in Saudi, where the bacon supplies used to arrive
>by sea

IRTA:- "He previously jbexed in Sandy...."

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

David Reid

Apr 6, 2003, 5:40:17 PM4/6/03
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<MPG.18fa8d106...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, Fenny
<allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk> spake thusly:

>Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
>coj say...
>> > I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.
>>
>> My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999
>>
>My ZX81 sed the square root of -4 was -2. This woz when I was 6th form
>& doing Very Hard Sums about imaginary numbers. I spose iffen the
>numbers are imaginary, you can just make up the answers as yer
>imagination wanders.

Are you sure that was a ZX81? I've just tried it on an embobulator and
it gave me an error, as it should. I can't try it on my real ZX81 as
that's at my parents.

You can mock now, but just wait until I'm as famous as whoever it was
who invented the zip fastener.
Karen Davies

Oiorpata

Apr 6, 2003, 5:50:48 PM4/6/03
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:45:47 +0100, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>The message <MPG.18fa2918...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>
>from allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny) contains
>these words:
>
>> But I have usually finished the examples in clars before he has handed
>> the calculators out to everyone else.
>
>I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.

Better safe than sorry.
--

Kran
oiorpata at hotmail.com

Oiorpata

Apr 6, 2003, 5:55:31 PM4/6/03

Chortle. That dunnarf remind me of some of the morning assemblies at
dayschool. Sometimes there wouldn't be a single kiddie in the entire
group who actually knew the words, or the tune, they'd all be waiting
for someone else to start so's they could tag along, and then one of
the staff would sing and the whole lot'd start chiming in with great
enthusiasm.

Fenny

Apr 6, 2003, 6:19:34 PM4/6/03
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
David Reid say...

> >My ZX81 sed the square root of -4 was -2. This woz when I was 6th form
> >& doing Very Hard Sums about imaginary numbers. I spose iffen the
> >numbers are imaginary, you can just make up the answers as yer
> >imagination wanders.
>
> Are you sure that was a ZX81? I've just tried it on an embobulator and
> it gave me an error, as it should. I can't try it on my real ZX81 as
> that's at my parents.

Yes, it were, deffo. I spose Pa has ours, cos we ditched it after about
3 weeks and he hid it amongst the rest of his tqt.

Fenny

Apr 6, 2003, 6:22:36 PM4/6/03
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
Oiorpata say...

> Chortle. That dunnarf remind me of some of the morning assemblies at
> dayschool. Sometimes there wouldn't be a single kiddie in the entire
> group who actually knew the words, or the tune, they'd all be waiting
> for someone else to start so's they could tag along, and then one of
> the staff would sing and the whole lot'd start chiming in with great
> enthusiasm.

At Big Skule, it were not the Dun Thing to sing in assembly. I yooster
get *stared* at by everyone cos I liked singing hymns. But when we got
to the 6th form, it suddenly became The Thing To Do. One day in a House
assembly, the Housemaster announced the hymn number but disremembered to
tell us to stand up. Moosic teecher started to play and the 6th form
stood up, sang lustily and sat down agen. Rest of the house sat there
and watched.

Austin Shackles

Apr 6, 2003, 6:21:33 PM4/6/03
On or around Sat, 5 Apr 2003 19:18:34 +0100, Guy King
<guy....@zetnet.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>The message <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>

>from Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> contains these words:
>

>> > I didn't do the test!
>
>> D- for effort then.
>
>Once, and only once, I managed to get 1E at fpubby...1 for acheivement
>and E for effort. I have to report that it took consdierable rssbeg
>behind the scenes to do so.

arwell, thass cheating then, innit.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent.

Austin Shackles

Apr 6, 2003, 6:26:28 PM4/6/03
On or around Sat, 05 Apr 2003 20:11:33 +0200, Oiorpata
<oior...@hotmail.com> enlightened us thusly:

>On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:35:45 +0100, Rusty Hinge
><tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote:
>
>>The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
>>from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

>>I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.
>
>Phew, that makes me feel a lot better about having conjured up a
>raspberry eating lemur in Brazil.

eh? you can't get "B".

's rigged, innit, to produce a D for the country. Unless you do it
otherwise than in base 10, I suppose.

Austin Shackles

Apr 6, 2003, 6:27:39 PM4/6/03
On or around Sun, 6 Apr 2003 05:19:55 +0100, Rusty Hinge
<tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> enlightened us thusly:

>The message <5xqtikcU...@nildram.co.uk>
>from David Reid <da...@disarray.org.uk> contains these words:

>> Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican Republic,
>> Djibouti and of course Denmark.
>

>Dubai?

snotter country. is it?

Oiorpata

Apr 6, 2003, 6:50:27 PM4/6/03
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:26:28 +0100, Austin Shackles
<aus...@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>On or around Sat, 05 Apr 2003 20:11:33 +0200, Oiorpata
><oior...@hotmail.com> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:35:45 +0100, Rusty Hinge
>><tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote:
>>
>>>The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
>>>from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

>>>I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.
>>
>>Phew, that makes me feel a lot better about having conjured up a
>>raspberry eating lemur in Brazil.
>
>eh? you can't get "B".
>
>'s rigged, innit, to produce a D for the country. Unless you do it
>otherwise than in base 10, I suppose.

It didn't say the counting part was important, so I did it inside my
head. Didn't even hfr fingers. Doomed from the start.

Gid Holyoake

Apr 6, 2003, 7:00:00 PM4/6/03
In article <V67EwWA9...@btinternet.com>, Frank Erskine generously
decided to share with us..

Snippetry..

> IRTA:- "He previously jbexed in Sandy...."

As long as it wasn't at The Lord Robert's..

Gid

Richard Robinson

Apr 6, 2003, 6:58:53 PM4/6/03
In article <200304062...@sheddiknights.org>, Rusty Hinge wrote:
> The message <MPG.18fa8d106...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>
> from allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny) contains
> these words:
>
>> My ZX81 sed the square root of -4 was -2. This woz when I was 6th form
>> & doing Very Hard Sums about imaginary numbers. I spose iffen the
>> numbers are imaginary, you can just make up the answers as yer
>> imagination wanders.
>
> Arbut, in Very Hard Sums there are square roots of negative numbers,
> especially when applide to the behaviour of subatomic particules.
>
> Is just that Sir Clive were a bit ahead of his thyme.

Well, not "just". He was also Rong, onnaccountof that -2 squared isn't -4..

--
Richard Robinson

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 10:29:29 PM4/6/03
Malc <malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk> wrote:

>> I told you this was FREAKY!! If not, you're among the 2% of the
>> population whose minds are different enough to think of something
>> else.

Hmm. Not even close to the suggested answer. I couldn't immediately goov
of a fruit which started with the last letter[h] of the animal I arrived
at - an' I can't see why it should come out the suggested way at all
at all.

[h] What fruit starts with "h" - I went for "hip" (as in rose) in the
end but I'm not at all sure that's a fruit. Huckleberry, I suppose
that'd do. Hmm.
--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 10:39:41 PM4/6/03
In article <MPG.18f978be...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>,
Sena <sh...@ynys.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org said...
>> The message <200304051...@zetnet.co.uk>
>> from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
>> > The message <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>
>> > from "Abso" <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> contains these words:

>> > A D- for mental arithmetic.
>>
>> No. D- to you. He thimked of 1
>
>It'd still jbex.

I just went back to see if I missed summat - an' no, it don't "jbex"
for me. I mean the first bit is obviously always gonna be 4, hence
the country begins with "D" but I fail to see how you reliably get
Kangaroo out of the last letter of, say, "Dominican Republic".

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` Child Molester sells off apples horror '

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 10:42:43 PM4/6/03
In article <200304051...@sheddiknights.org>,

Rusty Hinge <tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote:
>The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
>from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:
>
>> > Are you thinking of a Kangaroo in Denmark eating an Orange?
>> >
>I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.

Lucky you - I was thinking of a cheetah in the dominican republic
wondering whether there was a fruit which begins with "h" - I made do
with (rose) hip but goov'd of huckleberry afterwards. (I'm sure
there must be loads but I'm hootered if I can goov of 'em just at the
moment.)

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` CIA Spy causes gun corrupting ordeal '

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 10:43:39 PM4/6/03
In article <817u8v8ubicqsic8r...@4ax.com>,
Oiorpata <oior...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:35:45 +0100, Rusty Hinge

><tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote:
>
>>The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
>>from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

>>I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.
>
>Phew, that makes me feel a lot better about having conjured up a
>raspberry eating lemur in Brazil.

That'd be Brazil spelled wivva D then?

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` Unruly Youth verifies Pornographer '

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 10:52:17 PM4/6/03
In article <saa19vs76mfheqa3l...@4ax.com>,

Austin Shackles <aus...@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>On or around Sat, 05 Apr 2003 20:11:33 +0200, Oiorpata
><oior...@hotmail.com> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:35:45 +0100, Rusty Hinge
>><tqt.h...@sheddiknights.org> wrote:
>>
>>>The message <5e6ce5ec.03040...@posting.google.com>
>>>from malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) contains these words:

>>>I were thimking of a yak eating a kumquat in Dahomey.
>>
>>Phew, that makes me feel a lot better about having conjured up a
>>raspberry eating lemur in Brazil.
>
>eh? you can't get "B".
>
>'s rigged, innit, to produce a D for the country. Unless you do it
>otherwise than in base 10, I suppose.

Aha, yers, good point... ar Kran might've hfrq base 11 and goov'd of
"3" ter start with, hence: 3x9 = 25 (in base 11), add the 2 digits
to get 7, sub. 5, an y'get 2 -> B -> Brazil. Doesn't say to hfr base
10 so it's only fair an' reasonable.

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` Homeless Single Mother steals drugs shock '

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 11:08:58 PM4/6/03
In article <3e8f69bf....@news.global.net.uk>,
Andy Spragg <spa...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>xenop...@hotmail.com pushed briefly to the front of the queue on
>Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:01:36 +0100, and nailed this to the shed door:
>
>^ On 5 Apr 2003 06:21:16 -0800, malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc)
>^ wrote:
>^
>^ >> 98% of people will answer with kangaroos in Denmark when given
>^ >> this exercise.
>^
>^ ITYM 98% of the people who CBA to finsih it.
>
>ICBA, and I would have been in the 98%, 'cept I got stuck cos I
>couldn't thimk of a nanimule begininning with k ...

I can only goov of antipodean ones offhand - koala, kangaroo, kiwi,
kakapo... oh 'angon - kingfisher, kestrel, kite (doh!), an'
killer-whale, etc etc - there're loads of 'em. Fruits beginning with
"h" gave me problems, though.

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` Foreign Office Spokeperson exports Thug shock '

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 11:26:51 PM4/6/03
In article <MPG.18f9529a8...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
Suzi <su...@lspace.org> wrote:
>In article <qmSZnGY1...@nildram.co.uk> in uk.rec.sheds, David Reid
><da...@disarray.org.uk> wibbled...
>
>> In the outpouring of consciousness known as
>> <2r6u8v8idiisdlaci...@4ax.com>, Oiorpata
>> <oior...@hotmail.com> spake thusly:
>[Snip]
>> >Did anyone here come up with the result they suggested? Cos I
>> >serpently didn't.
>>
>> It seems you aren't part of the population who can add up.
>
><nod> There are only so many countries which start with "D" (the number
>that you are guaranteed to come up with from the maths they use)...

And of the four(? current?) ones, I guess 98% of some or other population
has only heard of Denmark, which ends in k, so the 98% who've not heard of
Dominica, Djibouyi or the Dominican Republic[1] have all allegedly heard of
kangaroos but not their kuddly kompatriots, koalas, much less killer whales,
kingfishers, kiwis, kakapos, komodo dragons, kestrels etc etc., which only
leaves a limited range of fruit beginning with "o" I suppose.

I reckon the presumption of base 10 arithmetic is dubious, too, now Austin's
mentioned it.

[1] despite goods from the Dominican Republic being on widespread sale in
the yookay and presumably the yewess AAW (unless GWB is bombing it at
the moment?)

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` Leader of Opposition tips off Liberal Campaigner '

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 11:27:48 PM4/6/03
In article <pmxLXsAL...@btinternet.com>,
Frank Erskine <frank....@btinternet.com> wrote:
>In article <5xqtikcU...@nildram.co.uk>, David Reid
><da...@disarray.org.uk> writes

>>In the outpouring of consciousness known as
>><MPG.18f9529a8...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>, Suzi <su...@lspace.org>
>>spake thusly:

>>>In article <qmSZnGY1...@nildram.co.uk> in uk.rec.sheds, David Reid
>>><da...@disarray.org.uk> wibbled...

>>>[Snip]

>>><nod> There are only so many countries which start with "D" (the number
>>>that you are guaranteed to come up with from the maths they use)...
>>>
>>Indeed, 4 if you stick to current names: Dominica, Dominican Republic,
>>Djibouti and of course Denmark.
>>
>Deutchland?

Ohyeah! I knew I thought of another one earlier, but couldn't unforget it
in me other post...

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` Gay Rights Campaigner confesses tactical ICBMs shock '

Carl .LHS. Williams

Apr 6, 2003, 11:33:54 PM4/6/03
In article <MPG.18f979b4a...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>,
Sena <sh...@ynys.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>Most people will, because the number you're left with,
>regardless of the one you choose at first, will be 4, which
>translates to D. Most people will think of Denmark,
>followed by Kangaroo, and then Orange. The whole thing
>hangs on certain peculiarities of the 9x table.

It seems to hang on a whole lot of assumptions besides...

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Leveraging neology |

` Pornographer confesses forbidden apples '

Guy King

Apr 7, 2003, 2:40:36 AM4/7/03
The message <b6qnq9$k...@yon-net.demon.co.uk>
from ca...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Carl .LHS. Williams) contains these words:

> I went for "hip" (as in rose) in the
> end but I'm not at all sure that's a fruit.

Certainly is. Related to apples, innit...and the same construction method.

--
Skipweasel:-
"...and ninthly...."

Jamie Hart

Apr 7, 2003, 4:00:35 AM4/7/03

> The message <200304051...@zetnet.co.uk>
> from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
> > The message <b6mpdr$eol$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>
> > from "Abso" <Abso*SPAMOFF*@ukrm.net> contains these words:
>
> > > I thought of an Iguana in Djubuti eating an apple.
>
> > > What do I get?
>
> > A D- for mental arithmetic.
>
> No. D- to you. He thimked of 1

But it makes no diffrunce what number you thimk of, they all work out to 4
if you do the sum correctly

Jamie Hart

Apr 7, 2003, 4:09:23 AM4/7/03

"Carl .LHS. Williams" <ca...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <3e8f69bf....@news.global.net.uk>,
> Andy Spragg <spa...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >xenop...@hotmail.com pushed briefly to the front of the queue on
> >Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:01:36 +0100, and nailed this to the shed door:
> >
> >^ On 5 Apr 2003 06:21:16 -0800, malcol...@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc)
> >^ wrote:
> >^
> >^ >> 98% of people will answer with kangaroos in Denmark when given
> >^ >> this exercise.
> >^
> >^ ITYM 98% of the people who CBA to finsih it.
> >
> >ICBA, and I would have been in the 98%, 'cept I got stuck cos I
> >couldn't thimk of a nanimule begininning with k ...
>
> I can only goov of antipodean ones offhand - koala, kangaroo, kiwi,
> kakapo...
> oh 'angon - kingfisher, kestrel, kite (doh!),

Not sure they're allowed, it did say animules but didden mentune brids

> an'
> killer-whale, etc etc - there're loads of 'em. Fruits beginning with
> "h" gave me problems, though.

Arr yerss, most fruits am working as a laxative innit.

Jamie Hart

Apr 7, 2003, 4:16:09 AM4/7/03

"Fenny" <allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk> wrote in
message news:MPG.18fa8bb81...@News.CIS.DFN.DE...

> Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
> coj say...
> > Guy King wrote:
> > > The message <MPG.18fa2918...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>

> > > from allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny)
> > > contains these words:

> > > I unforget an obff once adding 2 and 2 on a clackulater.
> >
> > My Sinclair Scientific gave 3.9999
> >
> Give over, or I'll havter tell the joak about the engineer, the
> marketing guy & the accountant.

Please.

Jamie Hart

Apr 7, 2003, 4:17:47 AM4/7/03

"Richard Robinson" <ric...@beulah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <200304062...@sheddiknights.org>, Rusty Hinge wrote:
> > The message <MPG.18fa8d106...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>
> > from allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny) contains
> > these words:
> >
> >> My ZX81 sed the square root of -4 was -2. This woz when I was 6th form
> >> & doing Very Hard Sums about imaginary numbers. I spose iffen the
> >> numbers are imaginary, you can just make up the answers as yer
> >> imagination wanders.
> >
> > Arbut, in Very Hard Sums there are square roots of negative numbers,
> > especially when applide to the behaviour of subatomic particules.
> >
> > Is just that Sir Clive were a bit ahead of his thyme.
>
> Well, not "just". He was also Rong, onnaccountof that -2 squared
isn't -4..

But he was wrong before anyone else.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 7, 2003, 3:52:14 AM4/7/03
The message <V67EwWA9...@btinternet.com>
from Frank Erskine <Fr...@btinternet.com> contains these words:
> In article <3E908D35...@uk-rec-sheds.org.uk>, Jon Gurr <dr-jong@uk-
> rec-sheds.org.uk> writes
> >
> >Friend of mine jbexes in Dubai - they were warned to 'keep their heads
> >down and avoid obviously American activities like Nightclubs and
> >MacDonalds' - which inconvenienced then not a jot.
> >He previously jbexed in Saudi, where the bacon supplies used to arrive
> >by sea

> IRTA:- "He previously jbexed in Sandy...."

Were his name Julian?

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid新queak snailything zetnet搾o暉k excange d.p. with p to reply.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 7, 2003, 4:01:42 AM4/7/03
The message <b6qnq9$k...@yon-net.demon.co.uk>
from ca...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Carl .LHS. Williams) contains these words:

> [h] What fruit starts with "h" - I went for "hip" (as in rose) in the

> end but I'm not at all sure that's a fruit. Huckleberry, I suppose
> that'd do. Hmm.

Yus, hip are a froot, as is huckleberry off course, and there's a
hackberry (or hagberry), haw, (Yes, yes, Frank), and hautbois strawberry
wot I can thin kof.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 7, 2003, 3:51:32 AM4/7/03
The message <slrnb91bu9....@beulah.demon.co.uk>
from Richard Robinson <ric...@beulah.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> Well, not "just". He was also Rong, onnaccountof that -2 squared isn't -4..

Go tell that to a pi meson doing strange things with string and week farces.

Rusty Hinge

Apr 7, 2003, 4:02:24 AM4/7/03
The message <b6qodd$k...@yon-net.demon.co.uk>

from ca...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Carl .LHS. Williams) contains these words:

> I just went back to see if I missed summat - an' no, it don't "jbex"
> for me. I mean the first bit is obviously always gonna be 4, hence
> the country begins with "D" but I fail to see how you reliably get
> Kangaroo out of the last letter of, say, "Dominican Republic".

Cangeroo?

It is loading more messages.