Yanmar impeller problems

Steve

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Dear folks,

I had an entertaining time while trying to motor out of Conwy last weekend
against a fierce
tide and a modest headwind. The engine (Yanmar 1GM10) overheated, I opened
up the
pump and found that the impeller had failed - the rubber part (the vanes)
had separated from
the metal bush which fits on the drive from the engine. This was a new
impeller fitted at the
beginning of the season and it had been run for perhaps 4 hours. I
replaced it and the spare
failed in exactly the same way after about 1 minute. I replaced that
and….it failed after about
one hour running. I replaced that and the engine has run OK for about 2
more hours.

I contacted the suppliers and was horrified to learn that these little bits
of rubber cost 15
pounds each. They said that they were aware of this problem and offered to
replace them if I
sent them the old ones (unfortunately I threw the last one overboard in
disgust). I suppose I
cannot ask more of them but I wonder what to do next. I still have 5 or 6
spares on the boat
but these are presumably from the same batch. In previous years I have
fitted a new impeller
at the beginning of the season and had no trouble.

Is anyone else aware of this problem ? Is there a way to detect the faulty
ones ? Is there a
cheaper source ?

Fortunately there were no serious consequences as the first 2 failures
happened before we
left the mooring and the third happened after we had passed the narrowest
part of the
channel and could sail. But even though I had the anchor ready to drop,
there were places
where I would inevitably had hit something if I had had to cut the engine.
Does anyone
know how much damage I would have caused if I had continued to run the
engine for a few
minutes to get to a safe place ?

Thanks

Steve

Roger Cronin

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
There was exactly the same problem about ?4/5 years ago, I then experienced
the same prob as you. This was fairly well publicised and Yanmar said it was
a rogue batch and made a similar refund offer, I had also like most chucked
,the failed one so no refund.
NO REFUND CAN EXCUSE THE FAILURE ANYWAY. It is alarming the same is
happening again any suggestion that you have tapped in to a 4 year old
supply??

Roger Cronin

"Steve" <ign...@notreal.co.uk> wrote in message

> Dear folks,
>

> I had an entertaining time while trying to motor out of Conwy last weekend
> against a fierce
> tide and a modest headwind. The engine (Yanmar 1GM10) overheated, I opened
> up the
> pump and found that the impeller had failed - the rubber part (the vanes)
> had separated from
> the metal bush which fits on the drive from the engine. This was a new
> impeller fitted at the
> beginning of the season and it had been run for perhaps 4 hours. I
> replaced it and the spare
> failed in exactly the same way after about 1 minute. I replaced that

> and..it failed after about

Sandy Morton

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In article <01bfd175$d5805740$7d00bcc3@default>,

Steve <ign...@notreal.co.uk> wrote:
> I had an entertaining time while trying to motor out of Conwy last weekend
> against a fierce
> tide and a modest headwind. The engine (Yanmar 1GM10) overheated, I opened
> up the
> pump and found that the impeller had failed - the rubber part (the vanes)
> had separated from
> the metal bush which fits on the drive from the engine. This was a new
> impeller fitted at the
> beginning of the season and it had been run for perhaps 4 hours.

Was it pumpimg water or did you have a blockage somewhere?

--
Sandy Millport
On the Bicycle Island

chr...@netcomuk.co.uk

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Had a similar problem two years ago - the "duff ones" are light blue in colour
and "good" ones are black.

This as explained by Gosport Boat Yard one Saturday morning !!- they were kind
enough to sort out the problem and give me a spare blue one free ( on basis
that they were not worth selling but might get you out of trouble ).

Chris Allen -Contessa 26 - "Wyxbon".
Steve wrote:

> Dear folks,

> I had an entertaining time while trying to motor out of Conwy last weekend
> against a fierce
> tide and a modest headwind. The engine (Yanmar 1GM10) overheated, I opened
> up the
> pump and found that the impeller had failed - the rubber part (the vanes)
> had separated from
> the metal bush which fits on the drive from the engine. This was a new
> impeller fitted at the

> beginning of the season and it had been run for perhaps 4 hours. I
> replaced it and the spare
> failed in exactly the same way after about 1 minute. I replaced that

> and….it failed after about

Roger Cronin

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

<chr...@netcomuk.co.uk> wrote in message

> Had a similar problem two years ago - the "duff ones" are light blue in
colour
> and "good" ones are black.

My failure was with a BLACK ONE, at the time (4? years ago)there was no
mention of blue ones by Barrus and I never saw any. People were experiencing
this failure with the black ones.
Roger Cronin

Xinara Ltd

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 18:12:46 GMT, "Steve" <ign...@notreal.co.uk>
wrote:

I think..... the impeller could be available from a Jabsco stockist.
Once when I got one from a boatyard it was a third party (not Yanmar)
one.
My engine is a 2GM20
I currently buy my Yanmar bits from Marine Power Burseldon, but can't
rememberif their impellers are third party.

You should have a flow of water through the pump very soon after
starting if not the impeller will strip.

bi...@xinara.u-net.com
01270 781000 (day) 0836 555777 (mobile0

Steve

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Thanks for these comments. I will look for a Jabsco version.

The ones that failed were black Yanmar originals and, as far as I can see,
look the same as the 'good' ones.

Does anyone have a feel for how much damage how quickly would be caused by
continuing to run the engine with the temp. alarm sounding ?

Thanks

Steve

kempsj at liv ac uk

Alisdair Gurney

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

Steve <ign...@notreal.co.uk> wrote in message

about five minutes before it seized, at the most?

root

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Steve (ign...@notreal.co.uk) wrote:
: Thanks for these comments. I will look for a Jabsco version.

: The ones that failed were black Yanmar originals and, as far as I can see,
: look the same as the 'good' ones.

: Does anyone have a feel for how much damage how quickly would be caused by
: continuing to run the engine with the temp. alarm sounding ?

FWIW,

Don't know particularly about Yanmar's but it can cause very expensive
damage to the cylinder head of a typical small diesel when it overheats,
particularly on an indirect injection engine. A couple of minutes would be
too long.

I did read a report from an indirect injection road vehicle diesel engine
manufacturer saying that damage was probable after less than 30 seconds of
running at 50% of full power.

I would only run a diesel with the overheat or any other alarm sounding in a
life and death situation. OTOH, I have driven several cars 100's of miles
with the oil pressure warning light on - without damage - and the pressure
gauge showing > 40 psi !

Geoff

--
Geoff Blake geoff (at) palaemon . co . uk linux 2.0.36
Chelmsford g8gnz @ g8gnz . ampr . org sparc - i586

sail...@my-deja.com

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
Greetings,

You may want to check out the Torresen Sailing Page's new Yanmar Direct
site <http://www.yanmardirect.com>.

They have some useful parts guides and I believe one of them is for
impellers that will link you right to their store where you can buy the
product online.

You may also want to check with Yanmar directly at
<http://www.yanmar.com> but I have never really seen very much there as
far as reference materials.

SailorOne from the States

In article <394110e2....@news.u-net.com>,