ot: remind you of anyone?

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 7:24:59 AM3/31/08

TOG@Toil

Mar 31, 2008, 7:52:40 AM3/31/08
On 31 Mar, 12:24, darsy <dar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/picnic_table_incident/

Printed out, and is currently doing the rounds of the office. Thanks
for that.

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 8:21:35 AM3/31/08

why, do you only have one computer between you all?

--
d.

os...@my-deja.com

Mar 31, 2008, 8:43:46 AM3/31/08

Phil Launchbury

Mar 31, 2008, 8:40:37 AM3/31/08

So many computers, so few abilities :-)

Phil

--
Phil Launchbury, IT PHB
'I'm training the bats that live in my cube

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 8:50:11 AM3/31/08

"obviously photoshopped"

--
d.

Krusty

Mar 31, 2008, 9:07:11 AM3/31/08
os...@my-deja.com wrote:

Reminds me of a certain sidecar/armco reconstruction - only not as
funny.

--
Krusty
www.MuddyStuff.co.uk

'02 MV Senna '03 Tiger 955i '96 Tiger '79 Fantic Hiro 250

TOG@Toil

Mar 31, 2008, 9:14:45 AM3/31/08

More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 9:38:55 AM3/31/08

what with this and your HR idiot, it must be a right barrel of laughs
working in your place.

Anyway, don't you have any instant messaging software that isn't
tracked?

--
d.

Brownz @ Work

Mar 31, 2008, 9:41:15 AM3/31/08
darsy wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/picnic_table_incident/

Linked from it below was.....
http://jobs.theregister.co.uk/cgi-bin/jdb_view_vacancy.cgi?rss=1&jobref=113316324&s=100187

Hmmmm ....... tempted - you bet !

Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS
'53 JCW MCS

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 9:45:24 AM3/31/08

Jeez.

I couldn't work somewhere like that.

--
Champ
I don't know, but I been told, you never slow down, you never get old

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 9:45:49 AM3/31/08

This one's doing the rounds at work

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 9:46:32 AM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:15 +0100, "Brownz @ Work"
<someo...@microsoft.com> wrote:

Christ alight - me too!

Krusty

Mar 31, 2008, 9:56:45 AM3/31/08
Champ wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:15 +0100, "Brownz @ Work"
> <someo...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > darsy wrote:
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/picnic_table_incident/
> >
> > Linked from it below was.....
> > http://jobs.theregister.co.uk/cgi-bin/jdb_view_vacancy.cgi?rss=1&job
> > ref=113316324&s=100187
> >
> > Hmmmm ....... tempted - you bet !
>
> Christ alight - me too!

<cue deluge of CVs with 'motorcycling' first in the list of hobbies>

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:08:06 AM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 2:56 pm, "Krusty" <dontwant...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> Champ wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:15 +0100, "Brownz @ Work"
> > <someone....@microsoft.com> wrote:

> > > Linked from it below was.....
> > >http://jobs.theregister.co.uk/cgi-bin/jdb_view_vacancy.cgi?rss=1&job
> > > ref=113316324&s=100187
>
> > > Hmmmm ....... tempted - you bet !
>
> > Christ alight - me too!
>
> <cue deluge of CVs with 'motorcycling' first in the list of hobbies>

is the cost of living on the Island less than in the SE?

--
d.

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 10:11:22 AM3/31/08
Champ wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:14:45 -0700 (PDT), "TOG@Toil"
> <totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> why, do you only have one computer between you all?
>
>> More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
>> likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
>
> Jeez.
>
> I couldn't work somewhere like that.

Neither could I. Well not until BT upped the ante and proved I am but a
pale imitation of Cynthia.

--
Hog
'03 ST4S '96 Bastard12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 10:13:44 AM3/31/08

Nope, houses are similar with added travel costs.
Hardly a ground breaking salary either.

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:15:28 AM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 3:13 pm, "Hog" <hogS...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk> wrote:
> darsy wrote:

> >> <cue deluge of CVs with 'motorcycling' first in the list of hobbies>
>
> > is the cost of living on the Island less than in the SE?
>
> Nope, houses are similar with added travel costs.

OK.

> Hardly a ground breaking salary either.

that's why I was asking.

--
d.

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:16:55 AM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 2:14 pm, "TOG@Toil" <totallydeadmail...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
> likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.

OK, for another laugh, without using the email, go to

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/

Imagine you need some cleaning durables for your home - a typical
woolworth product, you'd think...search for a "duster".

--
d.

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 10:19:57 AM3/31/08

I'm thinking it's a nice place to have a Studio pad or even rent a room.
That way you can register all your vehicles there, have an IoM driving
licence, pay no appreciable tax (1), thrash round the island on sunny
weekends and watch the TT and Manx.

(1) if you work EKS in the uk but bill your employer from an IoM company and
draw down dividends.

Where are Ash and Gavsta when you need them.

Cane

Mar 31, 2008, 10:23:49 AM3/31/08
On 31 Mar, 15:16, darsy <dar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
> > likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
>
> OK, for another laugh, without using the email, go to
>
> http://www.woolworths.co.uk/
>
> Imagine you need some cleaning durables for your home - a typical
> woolworth product, you'd think...search for a "duster".

*snort*

TOG@Toil

Mar 31, 2008, 10:25:53 AM3/31/08
On 31 Mar, 14:45, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:14:45 -0700 (PDT), "TOG@Toil"
>
> <totallydeadmail...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >> why, do you only have one computer between you all?
> >More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
> >likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
>
> Jeez.
>
> I couldn't work somewhere like that.

Oh, every office has its snake, and this one is ours. Everyone knows
about him, everyone detests him, and as long as you know he's there
and what he is, it's not a prob. It does mean that you can't send a
slightly dodgy email to the collective editorial email addie, and it's
too much hassle and time to key in all the individual names of
'suitable' recipients, IYSWIM.

He is a really, *really* nasty little mammal, though.

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:28:10 AM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 3:25 pm, "TOG@Toil" <totallydeadmail...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> slightly dodgy email to the collective editorial email addie, and it's
> too much hassle and time to key in all the individual names of
> 'suitable' recipients, IYSWIM.

if you're using Outlook for email, you can go to "Contacts" and add a
reusable local-to-your-profile mailing list for such purposes.

--
d.

TOG@Toil

Mar 31, 2008, 10:28:37 AM3/31/08
On 31 Mar, 15:16, darsy <dar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Splendid.

Whinging Courier

Mar 31, 2008, 10:30:20 AM3/31/08
In article <17cbb3b3-1729-48d4-8f4b-9e60d62f2a77
@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, dar...@gmail.com says...

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/picnic_table_incident/

Cheers mate, I'm going to send this to my missus.
--
CBR1000 FZ1-N Go-Ped Sport
BOMB#14 ibW#40 LotR#0 BOTAFOT#157 BotM#3

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 10:32:30 AM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:16:55 -0700 (PDT), darsy <dar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Fuck me.

How did you find out about that?

I wonder how long it will take Woolworths to find it.

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 10:34:25 AM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:08:06 -0700 (PDT), darsy <dar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Christ alight - me too!
>>
>> <cue deluge of CVs with 'motorcycling' first in the list of hobbies>
>
>is the cost of living on the Island less than in the SE?

Not really comparable - somethings are cheap, others more expensive.
Consumer durables will be the same, food slightly more, etc etc.

But the clincher is: 10% flat rate tax

Krusty

Mar 31, 2008, 10:38:11 AM3/31/08
Hog wrote:

> I'm thinking it's a nice place to have a Studio pad or even rent a
> room. That way you can register all your vehicles there, have an IoM
> driving licence, pay no appreciable tax (1), thrash round the island
> on sunny weekends and watch the TT and Manx.
>
> (1) if you work EKS in the uk but bill your employer from an IoM
> company and draw down dividends.

Don't you have to spend a minimum time each year on the Island to do
all that?

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:40:04 AM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 3:32 pm, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:16:55 -0700 (PDT), darsy <dar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mar 31, 2:14 pm, "TOG@Toil" <totallydeadmail...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
> >> likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
>
> >OK, for another laugh, without using the email, go to
>
> >http://www.woolworths.co.uk/
>
> >Imagine you need some cleaning durables for your home - a typical
> >woolworth product, you'd think...search for a "duster".
>
> Fuck me.
>
> How did you find out about that?

'twas on The Register.

> I wonder how long it will take Woolworths to find it.

well, the data's valid enough - they do appear to be going to stock
the CD concerned. I guess they could put in an exclusion for the
search, though.

--
d.

darsy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:41:14 AM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 3:34 pm, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:08:06 -0700 (PDT), darsy <dar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >is the cost of living on the Island less than in the SE?
>
> Not really comparable - somethings are cheap, others more expensive.
> Consumer durables will be the same, food slightly more, etc etc.
>
> But the clincher is: 10% flat rate tax

of course.

Still, although I could almost certainly do the job (it's what I do
now, but in a slightly different business domain), I don't think I'd
be successful in an application for it.

--
d.

ginge

Mar 31, 2008, 10:41:57 AM3/31/08
In article <5ed08ee5-d5d0-4f06-af73-
68dd18...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, dar...@gmail.com says...

You can even do this in Lotus notes, if you're unfortunate and have to
use that.

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 10:41:59 AM3/31/08
Champ wrote:

>>> <cue deluge of CVs with 'motorcycling' first in the list of hobbies>
>>
>> is the cost of living on the Island less than in the SE?
>
> Not really comparable - somethings are cheap, others more expensive.
> Consumer durables will be the same, food slightly more, etc etc.
>
> But the clincher is: 10% flat rate tax

It's not quite that simple.
www.gov.im/treasury/incometax/sections/employers/ratesandallowances.xml?menuid=15078
And if you do it through a company
www.gov.im/treasury/incometax/technical/companies.xml

But Darsy has a contractor Island registered paying zero tax by some
accounting manipulation

ginge

Mar 31, 2008, 10:44:08 AM3/31/08
In article <ght1v3pm12b8efmoi...@4ax.com>,
ne...@champ.org.uk says...

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:08:06 -0700 (PDT), darsy <dar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >is the cost of living on the Island less than in the SE?
>
> Not really comparable - somethings are cheap, others more expensive.
> Consumer durables will be the same, food slightly more, etc etc.
>
> But the clincher is: 10% flat rate tax

I thought it was 12%.

Whinging Courier

Mar 31, 2008, 10:43:59 AM3/31/08
In article <e113c22d-fe9f-4c0d-a32f-c659917980c1
@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, dar...@gmail.com says...

"Image coming soon"

I wonder what the image will be.

platypus

Mar 31, 2008, 10:44:55 AM3/31/08
Whinging Courier wrote:
> In article <e113c22d-fe9f-4c0d-a32f-c659917980c1
> @s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, dar...@gmail.com says...
>
>> On Mar 31, 2:14 pm, "TOG@Toil" <totallydeadmail...@yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
>>> likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
>>
>> OK, for another laugh, without using the email, go to
>>
>> http://www.woolworths.co.uk/
>>
>> Imagine you need some cleaning durables for your home - a typical
>> woolworth product, you'd think...search for a "duster".
>
> "Image coming soon"
>
> I wonder what the image will be.

A picnic table.

--
spam: 220215434435

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 10:46:07 AM3/31/08

Doesn't Financial Services have it's own lore in terms of security and legal
frameworks. Champ would know. (yes I know you are working in the Insurance
subset)

Scraggy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:50:43 AM3/31/08
Whinging Courier wrote:
> In article <17cbb3b3-1729-48d4-8f4b-9e60d62f2a77
> @s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, dar...@gmail.com says...
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/picnic_table_incident/
>
> Cheers mate, I'm going to send this to my missus.

"Sofa collapses in shock, horror"

members. Groucho Marx

Whinging Courier

Mar 31, 2008, 10:54:11 AM3/31/08
In article <Ht-dnbQtSfjeZ23a...@brightview.com>,
scr...@abuseisgoodforyou.org.be says...

> Whinging Courier wrote:
> > In article <17cbb3b3-1729-48d4-8f4b-9e60d62f2a77
> > @s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, dar...@gmail.com says...
> >
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/picnic_table_incident/
> >
> > Cheers mate, I'm going to send this to my missus.
>

> "Sofa collapses in shock, horror"

She knows all about it ;)

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 11:06:56 AM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:40:04 -0700 (PDT), darsy <dar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> >OK, for another laugh, without using the email, go to
>>
>> >http://www.woolworths.co.uk/
>>
>> >Imagine you need some cleaning durables for your home - a typical
>> >woolworth product, you'd think...search for a "duster".
>>
>> Fuck me.
>>
>> How did you find out about that?
>
>'twas on The Register.
>
>> I wonder how long it will take Woolworths to find it.
>
>well, the data's valid enough - they do appear to be going to stock
>the CD concerned. I guess they could put in an exclusion for the
>search, though.

Oh, it's a *real* CD? Wow. I just assumed it was a hacked site/db,
surely?

Looks like they're already on it - the search still works, but the
'more info' and 'add to basket' buttons now give errors.

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 11:09:37 AM3/31/08

<waves hands>

Whatever.

£60k pa at 12% is a take home of 4.4k per month at least, and that's
not allowing for the fairly generous tax free limits - Keith pays tax
on a small proportion of his gross earnings.

I reckon 60k on the IoM is worth 100k on the mainland.

Eiron

Mar 31, 2008, 11:19:58 AM3/31/08
Champ wrote:

>>> Fuck me.
>>>
>>> How did you find out about that?
>> 'twas on The Register.
>>
>>> I wonder how long it will take Woolworths to find it.
>> well, the data's valid enough - they do appear to be going to stock
>> the CD concerned. I guess they could put in an exclusion for the
>> search, though.
>
> Oh, it's a *real* CD? Wow. I just assumed it was a hacked site/db,
> surely?
>
> Looks like they're already on it - the search still works, but the
> 'more info' and 'add to basket' buttons now give errors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunt_(album)
Amazon seems to be out of stock.
I wonder if my local library has a copy. They don't object to Lawrence
Durrell.

--
Eiron.

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 11:34:32 AM3/31/08
Champ wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:44:08 +0100, ginge
> <the.gin...@THISgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <ght1v3pm12b8efmoi...@4ax.com>,
>> ne...@champ.org.uk says...

>>> Not really comparable - somethings are cheap, others more expensive.
>>> Consumer durables will be the same, food slightly more, etc etc.
>>>
>>> But the clincher is: 10% flat rate tax
>>
>> I thought it was 12%.
>
> <waves hands>
>
> Whatever.
>
> £60k pa at 12% is a take home of 4.4k per month at least, and that's
> not allowing for the fairly generous tax free limits - Keith pays tax
> on a small proportion of his gross earnings.
>
> I reckon 60k on the IoM is worth 100k on the mainland.

So have you applied?

Dan White

Mar 31, 2008, 11:44:16 AM3/31/08
"Whinging Courier" <markon...@TAKEITAWAYyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>> "Sofa collapses in shock, horror"
>
> She knows all about it ;)

Ah, well in that case, sofa so good...

--
Dan White
(d...@finex666.org.uk)

Eddie

Mar 31, 2008, 11:40:13 AM3/31/08
Champ wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:15 +0100, "Brownz @ Work"
> <someo...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> darsy wrote:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/picnic_table_incident/
>> Linked from it below was.....
>> http://jobs.theregister.co.uk/cgi-bin/jdb_view_vacancy.cgi?rss=1&jobref=113316324&s=100187
>>
>> Hmmmm ....... tempted - you bet !
>
> Christ alight - me too!

"Experience of multi-currency electronic payment systems is essential."

I've used foreign ATMs, does that count?

--
Eddie ed...@deguello.org

His: ZX-9R, Elefant 900 http://www.last.fm/group/ukrm
Hers: Monster S4R, GSX600F (breaking, everything must go!)

Message has been deleted

Brownz @ Work

Mar 31, 2008, 12:36:04 PM3/31/08
Eddie wrote:
> Champ wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:15 +0100, "Brownz @ Work"
>> <someo...@microsoft.com> wrote:

>>> Linked from it below was.....
>>> http://jobs.theregister.co.uk/cgi-bin/jdb_view_vacancy.cgi?rss=1&jobref=113316324&s=100187
>>>
>>> Hmmmm ....... tempted - you bet !
>>
>> Christ alight - me too!
>
> "Experience of multi-currency electronic payment systems is
> essential."
> I've used foreign ATMs, does that count?

Nope, neither does ordering fap fap fap dvds from Dutch and German
websites.....

;-)

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 12:53:49 PM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:34:32 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
wrote:

>>> I thought it was 12%.
>>
>> <waves hands>
>>
>> Whatever.
>>
>> £60k pa at 12% is a take home of 4.4k per month at least, and that's
>> not allowing for the fairly generous tax free limits - Keith pays tax
>> on a small proportion of his gross earnings.
>>
>> I reckon 60k on the IoM is worth 100k on the mainland.
>
>So have you applied?

Give me a fucking chance

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 12:54:16 PM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:40:13 +0100, Eddie <ed...@deguello.org> wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:15 +0100, "Brownz @ Work"
>> <someo...@microsoft.com> wrote:

>>> Linked from it below was.....
>>> http://jobs.theregister.co.uk/cgi-bin/jdb_view_vacancy.cgi?rss=1&jobref=113316324&s=100187
>>>
>>> Hmmmm ....... tempted - you bet !
>>
>> Christ alight - me too!
>
>"Experience of multi-currency electronic payment systems is essential."

Yersh. I saw that bit too.

>I've used foreign ATMs, does that count?

Hopefully...

ginge

Mar 31, 2008, 12:56:18 PM3/31/08
In article <t7d7c5-...@deguello.org>, ed...@deguello.org says...

> Champ wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:15 +0100, "Brownz @ Work"
> > <someo...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> >> Linked from it below was.....
> >> http://jobs.theregister.co.uk/cgi-bin/jdb_view_vacancy.cgi?rss=1&jobref=113316324&s=100187
> >>
> >> Hmmmm ....... tempted - you bet !
> >
> > Christ alight - me too!
>
> "Experience of multi-currency electronic payment systems is essential."

"Paypal."

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 1:15:24 PM3/31/08
Champ wrote:

>>> <waves hands>
>>>
>>> Whatever.
>>>
>>> £60k pa at 12% is a take home of 4.4k per month at least, and that's
>>> not allowing for the fairly generous tax free limits - Keith pays
>>> tax on a small proportion of his gross earnings.
>>>
>>> I reckon 60k on the IoM is worth 100k on the mainland.
>>
>> So have you applied?
>
> Give me a fucking chance

Christo and I have just been talking and I got an email from Keith with a
neg on homestay friend.
TT accomodation is getting a bit critical and we could do with a house to
rent in Ramsay. If you can chivvy things on a bit......
Scout hut is a no for two weeks bedding down!

Eddie

Mar 31, 2008, 1:20:56 PM3/31/08

Oh, good call!

<fx: emails CV>

Andy Bonwick

Mar 31, 2008, 1:25:00 PM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:15:24 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
wrote:

snip>

>Christo and I have just been talking and I got an email from Keith with a
>neg on homestay friend.
>TT accomodation is getting a bit critical and we could do with a house to
>rent in Ramsay. If you can chivvy things on a bit......
>Scout hut is a no for two weeks bedding down!

Is the scout hut a numbers thing or do you just not want to stop there
for a fortnight?

It'd be a shame if the scout hut had to be given up because there
weren't enough people wanting to stop but it's difficult getting
enough people interested without throwing it open to all comers and
risking ending up sharing with even bigger wankers than previous
years.

Hog

Mar 31, 2008, 1:45:43 PM3/31/08

I like "The Hut" I just don't fancy it for two weeks. Also it would be kinda
handy if Alex, myself and Champ were all staying in the same vicinity.
We didn't think you and 'er were up for more than a couple of days this
year?

Ben

Mar 31, 2008, 4:07:49 PM3/31/08
<totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 31 Mar, 13:21, darsy <dar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> TOG@Toil wrote:
>>
>> > Printed out, and is currently doing the rounds of the office.
>>
>> why, do you only have one computer between you all?

>More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
>likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.

Blimey, we have an officially sanctioned mailing list for stuff like
that.

Only rules are "no porn" and "don't sign up if you're easily
offended".
--
ZX-10R

Wicked Uncle Nigel

Mar 31, 2008, 4:13:44 PM3/31/08
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Andy Bonwick
<nos...@bonwick.me.uk> typed

>On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:15:24 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>snip>
>
>>Christo and I have just been talking and I got an email from Keith with a
>>neg on homestay friend.
>>TT accomodation is getting a bit critical and we could do with a house to
>>rent in Ramsay. If you can chivvy things on a bit......
>>Scout hut is a no for two weeks bedding down!
>
>Is the scout hut a numbers thing or do you just not want to stop there
>for a fortnight?
>
>It'd be a shame if the scout hut had to be given up because there
>weren't enough people wanting to stop

I, for one, should be most pissed off, on account of having my ferry
paid for.

Chris, what's the state of play?

--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

My position was (and, to be honest, largely remains) one of complete ambiguity.

Andy Bonwick

Mar 31, 2008, 4:15:19 PM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:45:43 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
wrote:

I can't see me having enough money to go to the Manx GP, Chimay,
somewhere sunny for a week, The Elefantentreffen, somewhere
"different" over xmas/new year, buy more toys, drink lots of beer, eat
out when I want _and_ go to the TT. It's just deciding what's going
to be dropped from the list of things to blow my cash on.

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 5:34:07 PM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:07:49 +0100, Ben <ben@bensales_DOT_ME.uk>
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:14:45 -0700 (PDT), "TOG@Toil"
><totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> why, do you only have one computer between you all?
>>>

>>More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
>>likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
>
>Blimey, we have an officially sanctioned mailing list for stuff like
>that.

We sort of do : "developers"
--
Champ

ZX10R | GPz750turbo | GSX-R 600 racer
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
To email me, neal at my domain should work.

Champ

Mar 31, 2008, 5:35:15 PM3/31/08
wrote:

>Christo and I have just been talking and I got an email from Keith with a
>neg on homestay friend.

There's others

>TT accomodation is getting a bit critical and we could do with a house to
>rent in Ramsay. If you can chivvy things on a bit......

I'm there this weekend - I'll get more info

ginge

Mar 31, 2008, 5:41:16 PM3/31/08
In article <26m2v31hnevqk6qh9...@4ax.com>,
ne...@champ.org.uk says...

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:07:49 +0100, Ben <ben@bensales_DOT_ME.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >>More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
> >>likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
> >
> >Blimey, we have an officially sanctioned mailing list for stuff like
> >that.
>
> We sort of do : "developers"

We (fairly obviously, as tis not the kind of thing corporate america
smiles upon) do not, but as my boss is one of the people that sends
plenty of comedy stuff out I think I'm on fairly safe ground doing the
same.

darsy

Apr 1, 2008, 1:00:32 AM4/1/08
On Mar 31, 3:46 pm, "Hog" <hogS...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk> wrote:
> darsywrote:

> > On Mar 31, 3:34 pm, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Not really comparable - somethings are cheap, others more expensive.
> >> Consumer durables will be the same, food slightly more, etc etc.
>
> >> But the clincher is: 10% flat rate tax
>
> > of course.
>
> > Still, although I could almost certainly do the job (it's what I do
> > now, but in a slightly different business domain), I don't think I'd
> > be successful in an application for it.
>
> Doesn't Financial Services have it's own lore in terms of security and legal
> frameworks. Champ would know. (yes I know you are working in the Insurance
> subset)

I'm nothing to do with insurance.

We're an asset management house.

--
d.

Hog

Apr 1, 2008, 4:22:38 AM4/1/08
Champ wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:15:24 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Christo and I have just been talking and I got an email from Keith
>> with a neg on homestay friend.
>
> There's others
>
>> TT accomodation is getting a bit critical and we could do with a
>> house to rent in Ramsay. If you can chivvy things on a bit......
>
> I'm there this weekend - I'll get more info

I'm almost wondering about a quick trip over then!

Hog

Apr 1, 2008, 4:22:53 AM4/1/08
Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:
> Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Andy Bonwick
> <nos...@bonwick.me.uk> typed
>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:15:24 +0100, "Hog"
>> <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> snip>
>>
>>> Christo and I have just been talking and I got an email from Keith
>>> with a neg on homestay friend.
>>> TT accomodation is getting a bit critical and we could do with a
>>> house to rent in Ramsay. If you can chivvy things on a bit......
>>> Scout hut is a no for two weeks bedding down!
>>
>> Is the scout hut a numbers thing or do you just not want to stop
>> there for a fortnight?
>>
>> It'd be a shame if the scout hut had to be given up because there
>> weren't enough people wanting to stop
>
> I, for one, should be most pissed off, on account of having my ferry
> paid for.
>
> Chris, what's the state of play?

Pack your tent ;o)

Hog

Apr 1, 2008, 4:25:22 AM4/1/08

Well at least you are far better off than 90% of the population being able
to do the 8!!
I can't see me going to the Manx. Will do BOSM, Chimay, Tog Tour,
Elefantreffen, NW200 and TT.

Ben

Apr 1, 2008, 5:13:06 AM4/1/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:34:07 +0100, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:07:49 +0100, Ben <ben@bensales_DOT_ME.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:14:45 -0700 (PDT), "TOG@Toil"
>><totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>>More like the unpleasant prick in one corner of the office who's
>>>likely to report misuse of the company email. Seriously.
>>
>>Blimey, we have an officially sanctioned mailing list for stuff like
>>that.
>
>We sort of do : "developers"

We have various ones like that but they started getting cluttered and
we also got whinges off people who didn't want the stuff. So a strict
opt-in mailing list was the best solution. It also means you can
easily filter it for later reading because it's gone to a specific
address.
--
ZX-10R

darsy

Apr 1, 2008, 5:16:37 AM4/1/08
On Mar 31, 4:06 pm, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Fuck me.
>
> >> How did you find out about that?
>
> >'twas on The Register.
>
> >> I wonder how long it will take Woolworths to find it.
>
> >well, the data's valid enough - they do appear to be going to stock
> >the CD concerned. I guess they could put in an exclusion for the
> >search, though.
>
> Oh, it's a *real* CD? Wow. I just assumed it was a hacked site/db,
> surely?

no, it's a real CD.

> Looks like they're already on it - the search still works, but the
> 'more info' and 'add to basket' buttons now give errors.

and it's completely gone now.

--
d.

Champ

Apr 1, 2008, 5:45:49 AM4/1/08
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:22:38 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:15:24 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Christo and I have just been talking and I got an email from Keith
>>> with a neg on homestay friend.
>>
>> There's others
>>
>>> TT accomodation is getting a bit critical and we could do with a
>>> house to rent in Ramsay. If you can chivvy things on a bit......
>>
>> I'm there this weekend - I'll get more info
>
>I'm almost wondering about a quick trip over then!

Sure. I'm over Friday evening, back Sunday evening, racing Sunday.

Hog

Apr 1, 2008, 7:40:18 AM4/1/08
Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:22:38 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Champ wrote:

>>> There's others

>>> I'm there this weekend - I'll get more info
>>
>> I'm almost wondering about a quick trip over then!
>
> Sure. I'm over Friday evening, back Sunday evening, racing Sunday.

Ah this is another Jurby meet?

Champ

Apr 1, 2008, 8:56:41 AM4/1/08
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:40:18 +0100, "Hog" <hog...@freenetCHIPS.co.uk>
wrote:

<IoM>

>>> I'm almost wondering about a quick trip over then!
>>
>> Sure. I'm over Friday evening, back Sunday evening, racing Sunday.
>
>Ah this is another Jurby meet?

Yeah. First ride of the season for me, and it'll be my first ride on
KwackZilla, too.

Eddie

Apr 1, 2008, 9:30:10 AM4/1/08
Champ wrote:

> Yeah. First ride of the season for me, and it'll be my first ride on
> KwackZilla, too.

# Oh, no!

CT

Apr 1, 2008, 10:02:18 AM4/1/08
Eddie wrote:

> Champ wrote:
> >
> > Yeah. First ride of the season for me, and it'll be my first ride
> > on KwackZilla, too.
>
> # Oh, no!

An ME262 would be quicker.

--
Chris

Champ

Apr 1, 2008, 10:16:45 AM4/1/08
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:30:10 +0100, Eddie <ed...@deguello.org> wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>>
>> Yeah. First ride of the season for me, and it'll be my first ride on
>> KwackZilla, too.
>
># Oh, no!

#There goes Tokyo!

heh. I might get some "Go Go KwackZilla" stickers made up.

Eddie

Apr 1, 2008, 10:53:21 AM4/1/08
Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:30:10 +0100, Eddie <ed...@deguello.org> wrote:
>
>> Champ wrote:
>>> Yeah. First ride of the season for me, and it'll be my first ride on
>>> KwackZilla, too.
>> # Oh, no!
>
> #There goes Tokyo!
>
> heh. I might get some "Go Go KwackZilla" stickers made up.

Do it!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Champ

Apr 1, 2008, 3:30:19 PM4/1/08
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:13:28 +0200, Ace <see...@virgin.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:16:45 +0100, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>>># Oh, no!
>>
>>#There goes Tokyo!
>>
>>heh. I might get some "Go Go KwackZilla" stickers made up.
>

>Stunned, I are. I had no idea BOC[1] lyrics were so well known.

Just you, me and Eddie, I suspect.

>[1] One of my fave bands around 1977-78, they were.

I only had one album of theirs, "Some Enchanted Evening", but loved it
to bits.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Eddie

Apr 1, 2008, 7:29:34 PM4/1/08
Ace wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:24:42 +0000 (UTC), TD
> <topper...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't know, but the first version I heard of it was the Fu Manchu

Saw them do that last year. One of the best gigs of the year, that was.

> Who?[1]
>
>> version, which rocks. Then again, I'm not old.
>
> FOYRNB.
>
> [1] I know them reasonably well, actually, but old meme's never die,
> eh?

Huh? Who are you, and what have you done with the real Ace?

Champ

Apr 2, 2008, 4:22:22 AM4/2/08

>>>#There goes Tokyo!
>>>
>>>heh. I might get some "Go Go KwackZilla" stickers made up.
>>

>> Stunned, I are. I had no idea BOC[1] lyrics were so well known. Was
>> this song used in a film or summat?

>Don't know, but the first version I heard of it was the Fu Manchu version,

>which rocks. Then again, I'm not old.

I am old, and have consequently never heard of Fu Manchu. However,
versions of Godzilla by them appear to be all over YouTube, mostly
recorded from the mosh pit on shakycam.

This one is ok http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsgdyho2rr8

CT

Apr 2, 2008, 4:55:07 AM4/2/08
Ace wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:30:19 +0100, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > Stunned, I are. I had no idea BOC[1] lyrics were so well known.
> >
> > Just you, me and Eddie, I suspect.

OI! *waves frantically*

> > > [1] One of my fave bands around 1977-78, they were.
> >
> > I only had one album of theirs, "Some Enchanted Evening", but loved
> > it to bits.
>

> Got most of 'em, but mainly on cassette, and ISTR that at least one of
> the tapes had got screwed at some point. "Mirrors" and "Agents of
> Fortune" were probably my favourites. Must dig 'em all out[1] at some
> point.

Yeah, mine are mostly on cassette too. I've got a couple on CD but
haven't listened to any BOC for a while. I must rectify that.

> [1] Which involves moving a cat from my knee and walking across the
> room. Also turning the TV off, which I'm not sure I can do.

heh. I'd have to go into the loft, which requires going into the garage
to get the ladder...

--
Chris

CT

Apr 2, 2008, 4:57:44 AM4/2/08
Ace wrote:

> [2] At... shit, what was that place just up from Campden Town
> called[3]?
> [3] Oh yeah, just remembered, the Town and Country Club. Much
> lamented.

I was at the Astoria last night. We had heard that it was due to close
due to Crossrail[1] but the band announced that it has just signed a
new 5-year lease.

So, what's happened to Crossrail? Is it still going ahead, have they
re-routed or what?

Where's Corfield when you need him?

[1] I think they are planning a new station underneath it.

--
Chris

ogden

Apr 2, 2008, 5:21:07 AM4/2/08

http://www.gigwise.com/news/41957/the-astoria-saved-from-closure

--
ogden
sv650 & rgv250

Eddie

Apr 2, 2008, 5:21:14 AM4/2/08
CT wrote:

> Ace wrote:
>
>> Got most of 'em, but mainly on cassette, and ISTR that at least one of
>> the tapes had got screwed at some point. "Mirrors" and "Agents of
>> Fortune" were probably my favourites. Must dig 'em all out[1] at some
>> point.
>
> Yeah, mine are mostly on cassette too. I've got a couple on CD but
> haven't listened to any BOC for a while. I must rectify that.

I think I've got almost all of them on mp3, somewhere.

ogden

Apr 2, 2008, 5:27:12 AM4/2/08

Champ wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:13:28 +0200, Ace <see...@virgin.net> wrote:
>
> >Stunned, I are. I had no idea BOC[1] lyrics were so well known.
>
> Just you, me and Eddie, I suspect.

It's just taken me half an hour to work out who you even mean. Unless
it's not the Blue Oyster Cult, in which case I still haven't.

Champ

Apr 2, 2008, 5:35:57 AM4/2/08
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:21:14 +0100, Eddie <ed...@deguello.org> wrote:

>CT wrote:
>> Ace wrote:
>>
>>> Got most of 'em, but mainly on cassette, and ISTR that at least one of
>>> the tapes had got screwed at some point. "Mirrors" and "Agents of
>>> Fortune" were probably my favourites. Must dig 'em all out[1] at some
>>> point.
>>
>> Yeah, mine are mostly on cassette too. I've got a couple on CD but
>> haven't listened to any BOC for a while. I must rectify that.
>
>I think I've got almost all of them on mp3, somewhere.

Bugger. Some Enchanted Evening isn't on Play.com

CT

Apr 2, 2008, 5:46:38 AM4/2/08

http://www.goldenmp3.ru/sn.html?ar=9621&al=14823

--
Chris

Champ

Apr 2, 2008, 5:49:45 AM4/2/08

I'm still old school in that I like to have something physical in my
hand. I spose I need to join the music download generation soon, tho.

Also, I don't like dodgy russian MP3 web sites. How much of that
$0.94 (!) do you think goes to the artist?

darsy

Apr 2, 2008, 5:57:28 AM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 10:49 am, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

> Also, I don't like dodgy russian MP3 web sites. How much of that
> $0.94 (!) do you think goes to the artist?

why should any of it?

--
d.

CT

Apr 2, 2008, 6:02:19 AM4/2/08
Champ wrote:

> I'm still old school in that I like to have something physical in my
> hand. I spose I need to join the music download generation soon, tho.

You know when you record stuff off the TV? And then you copy it to a
DVD and you do all that download the cover, print it out kind of stuff?

You can do that with music CDs too!

> Also, I don't like dodgy russian MP3 web sites. How much of that
> $0.94 (!) do you think goes to the artist?

Fuck 'em. I reckon Buck Dharma ain't short of a bob or two.

--
Chris

Champ

Apr 2, 2008, 6:06:34 AM4/2/08
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 02:57:28 -0700 (PDT), darsy <da...@sticky.co.uk>
wrote:

er...I thought you'd support artists recieving revenue for their
works. Your not touting the 'information wants to be free' line, are
you?

darsy

Apr 2, 2008, 6:15:00 AM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 11:06 am, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 02:57:28 -0700 (PDT), darsy <da...@sticky.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >On Apr 2, 10:49 am, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >> Also, I don't like dodgy russian MP3 web sites. How much of that
> >> $0.94 (!) do you think goes to the artist?
>
> >why should any of it?
>
> er...I thought you'd support artists recieving revenue for their
> works.

Generally, yes. I meant that under Russian law, there's no reason that
the site has to channel any of the money back to the artist/record
lable. I'm not saying this is "right", but it's the case. I suppose I
should have said "why should you think any of it would?"

> Your not touting the 'information wants to be free' line, are
> you?

nope: "information wants to be paid".

--
d.

Champ

Apr 2, 2008, 6:17:22 AM4/2/08
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 03:15:00 -0700 (PDT), darsy <da...@sticky.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Apr 2, 11:06 am, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 02:57:28 -0700 (PDT), darsy <da...@sticky.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>> >why should any of it?
>>
>> er...I thought you'd support artists recieving revenue for their
>> works.
>
>Generally, yes. I meant that under Russian law, there's no reason that
>the site has to channel any of the money back to the artist/record
>lable. I'm not saying this is "right", but it's the case. I suppose I
>should have said "why should you think any of it would?"

Ah, I see. Well of course, none of it will, because Russian law seems
to be fucked.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Charlie

Apr 2, 2008, 6:40:10 AM4/2/08

"Champ" <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in message

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 03:15:00 -0700 (PDT), darsy <da...@sticky.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>On Apr 2, 11:06 am, Champ <n...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>>> er...I thought you'd support artists recieving revenue for their
>>> works.
>>
>>Generally, yes. I meant that under Russian law, there's no reason that
>>the site has to channel any of the money back to the artist/record
>>lable. I'm not saying this is "right", but it's the case. I suppose I
>>should have said "why should you think any of it would?"
>
> Ah, I see. Well of course, none of it will, because Russian law seems
> to be all about fucking everyone who isn't very cosy with the Kremlin.

Tiny misprint corrected.

Message has been deleted

Eddie

Apr 2, 2008, 6:44:32 AM4/2/08
CT wrote:

> Champ wrote:
>
>> Also, I don't like dodgy russian MP3 web sites. How much of that
>> $0.94 (!) do you think goes to the artist?
>
> Fuck 'em. I reckon Buck Dharma ain't short of a bob or two.

I dunno; do you think they're still touring because they enjoy it so
much, or because they want more money?

CT

Apr 2, 2008, 6:59:56 AM4/2/08
Eddie wrote:

> CT wrote:
> > Champ wrote:
> >
> > > Also, I don't like dodgy russian MP3 web sites. How much of that
> > > $0.94 (!) do you think goes to the artist?
> >
> > Fuck 'em. I reckon Buck Dharma ain't short of a bob or two.
>
> I dunno; do you think they're still touring because they enjoy it so
> much, or because they want more money?

"want more money" != "short of a bob or two"

--
Chris

It is loading more messages.