Pro Art

Steve Bullimore

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Hello,

I want full bike paint job done (incl wheels) and so far have only contacted
a place called Pro Art. They have quoted 550+VAT for a "reasonably complex 4
colour design" including collection/delivery which seems pretty good to me.

Has anyone used them before, or can recommend anywhere else?

thanks.

Steve Bullimore
R1, GSXR750, CBR400

Bastard Bear

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Steve Bullimore wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want full bike paint job done (incl wheels) and so far have only contacted
> a place called Pro Art. They have quoted 550+VAT for a "reasonably complex 4
> colour design" including collection/delivery which seems pretty good to me.
>
> Has anyone used them before, or can recommend anywhere else?
>
> thanks.

They've just got a pretty good write up in this month's Ride, so try reading
that article first. It's what looks like a fairly simple design on a CBR400
(IIRC).
Of course, I don't know how impartial Ride magazine are; any comments on the
impartiality of bike journos, Neil?
--
Regards,
Bastard Bear

Neil Murray

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Bullimore wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want full bike paint job done (incl wheels) and so far have only contacted
> > a place called Pro Art. They have quoted 550+VAT for a "reasonably complex 4
> > colour design" including collection/delivery which seems pretty good to me.
> >
> > Has anyone used them before, or can recommend anywhere else?
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> They've just got a pretty good write up in this month's Ride, so try reading
> that article first. It's what looks like a fairly simple design on a CBR400
> (IIRC).
> Of course, I don't know how impartial Ride magazine are; any comments on the
> impartiality of bike journos, Neil?

When it comes to product tests, RiDE is unquestionably the best and the
most impartial - remember it was RiDE who exposed the
no-Kevlar-in-Kevlar-gloves scam.

IMHO, their road tests aren't the best. Hard to say whose are - BiKE's
probably. And PB is the best for tech stuff, wholly due to John Robinson
who's the best tech journo around.

When it comes to impartiality, the true test is when you come across a
test bike which has been 'doctored' by the importers, which used to be
more frequent than you'd think.
--
Neil B120 750S S GT750 CB400F CD175
The Older Gentleman

Bastard Bear

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Neil Murray wrote:

> Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:

SNIP

> When it comes to impartiality, the true test is when you come across a
> test bike which has been 'doctored' by the importers, which used to be
> more frequent than you'd think.

Indeed.
I've heard stories of Ducatis so altered by the importers that some of them
lasted ooh ... three or four weeks [1]

[1] As opposed to the normal 3 or 4 days.

Neil Murray

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:

> Neil Murray wrote:
> >
> > Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> SNIP
> >
> > When it comes to impartiality, the true test is when you come across a
> > test bike which has been 'doctored' by the importers, which used to be
> > more frequent than you'd think.
>
> Indeed.
> I've heard stories of Ducatis so altered by the importers that some of them
> lasted ooh ... three or four weeks [1]
>

> [1] As opposed to the normal 3 or 4 days.

Ha bleedin' ha....

FWIW, Suzuki offered some very, um, *carefully prepared* 500 Gammas to
the press when that was launched. I remember one (ex)Suzuki marketing
man, years after the event, while pissed at a press do(1), laughing
about how Suzuki had conned the world's press at the launch and how ther
production bikes were 10 horsepower less powerful.

For a while, some time back, Kawasaki press bikes came in specially
marked crates. These were just completely blueprinted, rather than
tuned-up bikes, which is a bit fairer.

The funniest thing was a Honda single, way back in, IIRC, 1976 and
Motorcycle Mechanics magazine. The bike was suspiciously fast and they
took the top end off to have a peek inside, to discover it was stuffed
full of Yoshimura (or something) go-faster bits. The bike was Honda's
offering in one of the most fiercely contested performance categories of
all, where 5mph made the difference between commercial success or
disaster.

As it happens, not a word of the "doctored" engine appeared in MCM (if
MCM it was), but it certainly did in another mag.

Oh yeah - the bike was the SS50 sports moped......

(1) As one expects to be

Alan W. Frame

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Steve Bullimore <st...@spleen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I want full bike paint job done (incl wheels) and so far have only contacted
> a place called Pro Art. They have quoted 550+VAT for a "reasonably complex 4
> colour design" including collection/delivery which seems pretty good to me.

> Steve Bullimore
> R1, GSXR750, CBR400
^^

Err, Steve, you do realise that a flash custom paint job on an R1,
combined with flash leathers & lid, loud pipe, black visor and small
number plate does shout "NICK ME!!!"?

rgds, Alan
--
95 Ducati 600SS, 85 Guzzi V65TT, 74 MV Agusta 350 SI # 3.386
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" DoD#1930

Simon Batey

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
In article <1dhtmg8.zqf...@newtechd.demon.co.uk>, Alan W. Frame
<alan....@acm.org> writes

>Err, Steve, you do realise that a flash custom paint job on an R1,
>combined with flash leathers & lid, loud pipe, black visor and small
>number plate does shout "NICK ME!!!"?

The expression is "You'll do nicely"............
--
Simon - South Wales UK
GSXR1100 Z1R GS550 (Sold) MAG#0790 Z10C#999

Steve Bullimore

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

Alan W. Frame wrote in message
<1dhtmg8.zqf...@newtechd.demon.co.uk>...

>Err, Steve, you do realise that a flash custom paint job on an R1,
>combined with flash leathers & lid, loud pipe, black visor and small
>number plate does shout "NICK ME!!!"?

Who said anything about the paint job being flash, or flash leathers, or
flash lid or black visor ? I just want my R1 to be a bit different to the
thousands of others.

Its sad, but I know your 'image' it makes a difference to plod. Its no
wonder every jouno in the country still hasn't lost their licence.

Where did I put my Sam Brown belt...

Alan W. Frame

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Steve Bullimore <st...@spleen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Alan W. Frame wrote in message
> <1dhtmg8.zqf...@newtechd.demon.co.uk>...
> >
> >Err, Steve, you do realise that a flash custom paint job on an R1,
> >combined with flash leathers & lid, loud pipe, black visor and small
> >number plate does shout "NICK ME!!!"?
>
> Who said anything about the paint job being flash, or flash leathers, or
> flash lid or black visor ?

Just a hunch.

Go on - Tell me - Am I wrong? :->

> I just want my R1 to be a bit different to the thousands of others.

Ah!

You mean yours is the *one* without the obligatory "R1XZY" number plate?
:-)

> Its sad, but I know your 'image' it makes a difference to plod. Its no
> wonder every jouno in the country still hasn't lost their licence.
>
> Where did I put my Sam Brown belt...

I donno, but mine is in the garage, hanging over the bike, ready for
action tomorrow...[0]

That reminds me - I'm thinking about a baglux, 'cos I'm not keen on
wearing a rucsac & Sam Browwne[1] in winter - as I carry my FOAD lock &
chain under the seat it's a faff to cargo-net my bag on the pillion.

Does anyone know if you can fit a laptop and/or A4 folders in a
Baglux?[2]

rgds, Alan
[0] and *my* black visor sits forlornley on the shelf...
[1] Yes, I know I could stick some dayglo stuff on my rucksac.
[2] 'suppose I could look at <http://www.bagster.com>

--
95 Ducati 600SS, 85 Guzzi V65TT, 74 MV Agusta 350 SI # 3.386
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" DoD#1930

uk.r.m FAQ#109: My GF is 4'2", what bikes can she ride?
A: <http://www.calweb.com/~trouble/short/shortindex.html>

Neil Murray

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

Bearing in mind the rather unforgiving suspension on a Duke, your laptop
might get bounced into oblivion. When I carry my cameras in my tank bag,
like down to the Bol, I wrap them in foam and/or rolled up T-shirts.

There's sort of more shock absorption when they're carried in a rucksack
and they get an easier life. Same applies to pooters, I'd have thought.

Ben Lovejoy

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
alan....@acm.org (Alan W. Frame) wrote:

>Does anyone know if you can fit a laptop and/or A4 folders in a
>Baglux?[2]

I imagine so - I've carried a PowerBook in AN Other tankbag.

A4 folders - *just*. But expect the corners to get creased.

You want a nice 52-litre topbox, you do.

Ben

--
Ben 'Darth' Lovejoy | Bike: CBR600F3
b...@lovejoy.demon.co.uk | Ex-bike: GPZ400R

Bastard Bear

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
Alan W. Frame wrote:

> Steve Bullimore <st...@spleen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I want full bike paint job done (incl wheels) and so far have only contacted
> > a place called Pro Art. They have quoted 550+VAT for a "reasonably complex 4
> > colour design" including collection/delivery which seems pretty good to me.
>
> > Steve Bullimore
> > R1, GSXR750, CBR400
> ^^
>
> Err, Steve, you do realise that a flash custom paint job on an R1,
> combined with flash leathers & lid, loud pipe, black visor and small
> number plate does shout "NICK ME!!!"?
>
> rgds, Alan

They've got to catch you first, though.

Trevor Dennis

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
Alan W. Frame said
>Steve Bullimore <st...@spleen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> I just want my R1 to be a bit different to the thousands of others.

>Ah!
>
>You mean yours is the *one* without the obligatory "R1XZY" number plate?
>:-)

Are R1 owners taking over from Fireblade peeps
as the po-faced serious types of the biker world?

--
Trevor Dennis /`\ .(o~)-(o~). /`\ tre...@tdennnis.demon.co.uk
The Polite Brit / , \( _______ )/ , \ tden...@ford.com

Alan W. Frame

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Trevor Dennis <tre...@tdennis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Are R1 owners taking over from Fireblade peeps
> as the po-faced serious types of the biker world?

I think so - it's quite surprising how nice (and normal[1]) the 916
riders I know are.

rgds, Alan
[1] For Ducati riders.

--
95 Ducati 600SS, 85 Guzzi V65TT, 74 MV Agusta 350 SI # 3.386
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" DoD#1930

uk.r.m FAQ#112: Where can I get parts for my pre-1980 bike?
A: <http://www.oldbikemart.co.uk>

Neil Murray

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Ben Lovejoy <b...@lovejoy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> alan....@acm.org (Alan W. Frame) wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if you can fit a laptop and/or A4 folders in a
> >Baglux?[2]
>
> I imagine so - I've carried a PowerBook in AN Other tankbag.
>
> A4 folders - *just*. But expect the corners to get creased.
>
> You want a nice 52-litre topbox, you do.

Or a nice set of hardly used Krausers.

*Thinks* - wonder who's got some for sale?

Windswept

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Steve Bullimore wrote

> I want full bike paint job done (incl wheels) and so far have only
contacted
> a place called Pro Art. They have quoted 550+VAT for a "reasonably
complex 4
> colour design" including collection/delivery which seems pretty good to
me.

> Has anyone used them before, or can recommend anywhere else?

I had my ZX6R done in Kawasaki France colours in '96 by Bikers Oven. £350
+ VAT for fairing and tank. No wheels but they repaired the badly dented
tank as part of the price. Excellent work.

PB did a "consumer test" of about ten paint shops a while ago (about 18
months I think). Bikers Oven and MRS came out top I think, can't remember
Pro Art being in it. I'll dig it out if you want.

--

Dave

Trevor Dennis

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Alan W. Frame said

>Trevor Dennis <tre...@tdennis.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Are R1 owners taking over from Fireblade peeps
>> as the po-faced serious types of the biker world?
>
>I think so - it's quite surprising how nice (and normal[1]) the 916
>riders I know are.

Being seven foot tall is normal?

Alan W. Frame

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Ben Lovejoy <b...@lovejoy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> alan....@acm.org (Alan W. Frame) wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if you can fit a laptop and/or A4 folders in a
> >Baglux?[2]
>
> I imagine so - I've carried a PowerBook in AN Other tankbag.
>
> A4 folders - *just*. But expect the corners to get creased.
>
> You want a nice 52-litre topbox, you do.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, what I *really* need is a G3
Powerbook with a VST internal Zip drive, so I can take the PB if I
decide to get the train to work, or just pop the Zip cart in my pocket
when I'm on the bike...

rgds,Alan

--
95 Ducati 600SS, 85 Guzzi V65TT, 74 MV Agusta 350 SI # 3.386
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" DoD#1930

uk.r.m FAQ#113: Where can I find a list of motorcycle breakers?
A: <http://www.raunds.demon.co.uk/breakers.htm>

Mike Fleming

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
In article <1dhu0f8.1is...@newtechd.demon.co.uk>,

alan....@acm.org (Alan W. Frame) writes:

> That reminds me - I'm thinking about a baglux, 'cos I'm not keen on
> wearing a rucsac & Sam Browwne[1] in winter - as I carry my FOAD lock &
> chain under the seat it's a faff to cargo-net my bag on the pillion.
>

> Does anyone know if you can fit a laptop and/or A4 folders in a
> Baglux?[2]

<fetches Baglux and A4 folder and performs insertion>

Yes. Er, would you like a more detailed reply?

The standard bag that I've got (for T5095, Sprident and Daytona 900)
is wide enough, and just long enough, to take an A4 folder (or a
year's supply of DiRE in a genuine DiRE binder). This particular one
unzips to expand (one extra tier) and also has a built-in condom.
Unexpanded, I reckon it would take two year's supply of DiRE, expanded
at least 3 and a couple of slim A4 folders too.

--
Mike (DF) Fleming MAG #79794 DoD #4446 OT #3 UKMC #9 FAB #10
GAGARPHOF #6 JKLO #004 KotWP7 RotRotRotKotL

Alan W. Frame

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Mike Fleming <tau...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> alan....@acm.org (Alan W. Frame) writes:

[]

> > Does anyone know if you can fit a laptop and/or A4 folders in a
> > Baglux?[2]
>
> <fetches Baglux and A4 folder and performs insertion>
>
> Yes. Er, would you like a more detailed reply?
>
> The standard bag that I've got (for T5095, Sprident and Daytona 900)
> is wide enough, and just long enough, to take an A4 folder (or a
> year's supply of DiRE in a genuine DiRE binder). This particular one
> unzips to expand (one extra tier) and also has a built-in condom.
> Unexpanded, I reckon it would take two year's supply of DiRE, expanded
> at least 3 and a couple of slim A4 folders too.

Thanks Mike - I'm getting the impression that Bagluxen should go in the
FAQ along with Fog Citys and Scottoilers - you muck about for years
trying to decide if they're worth it, then buy one and wonder why it
took you so long to get round to it...

rgds, Alan

--
95 Ducati 600SS, 85 Guzzi V65TT, 74 MV Agusta 350 SI # 3.386
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" DoD#1930

uk.r.m FAQ#2: Where is the uk.rec.motorcycles charter?
A: <http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.motorcycles.html>

Ben Lovejoy

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
alan....@acm.org (Alan W. Frame) wrote:

>Thanks Mike - I'm getting the impression that Bagluxen should go in the
>FAQ along with Fog Citys and Scottoilers - you muck about for years
>trying to decide if they're worth it, then buy one and wonder why it
>took you so long to get round to it...

Nah, mate, you want a nice 52-litre topbox, you do ...