[OT] Highest Fair Usage policy...

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 8:11:46 AM12/27/07
We're currently with Demon on their office package, 60gb fair usage, but my
brother does a lot of sending huge things between home and work - and I like
the odd download - and they've (for the 2nd time this month...) throttled us
to 128kbps, which is a bit sluggish to say the least. Fair call though, it
was in the T&Cs etc. Question, which provider(s) offer a higher, or even
better, no max allowance?

--
Dan
Clio V6

The Older Gentleman

Dec 27, 2007, 8:30:00 AM12/27/07
Iridium <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I'm happy with IDnet, as recommended by Colin Irvine. So far they seem
to be coping with my son's doownload appetite.

--
K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 SL125
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 27, 2007, 8:41:20 AM12/27/07
"Iridium" <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

If you are in a cabled area Virgin do unrestricted during the day , then in
the evening if you go over their limit (currently 3gb per evening on a 20mb
line) you get throttled to a quarter of your rated speed for the next four
hours or so.

I've certainly gone over 100gb in a month with ease

--
Alex

New laptop - Sig missing

Mike Barnard

Dec 27, 2007, 10:07:11 AM12/27/07

Colin Irvine

Dec 27, 2007, 10:27:34 AM12/27/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:11:46 -0000, "Iridium"
<iridi...@googlemail.com> squeezed out the following:

LLU available?

--
Colin Irvine
YZF1000R BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 11:05:13 AM12/27/07
"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOO!!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message

No cable around here :-(

--
Dan
Clio V6

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 11:05:24 AM12/27/07
"The Older Gentleman" <totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Iridium <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> We're currently with Demon on their office package, 60gb fair usage, but
>> my
>> brother does a lot of sending huge things between home and work - and I
>> like
>> the odd download - and they've (for the 2nd time this month...) throttled
>> us
>> to 128kbps, which is a bit sluggish to say the least. Fair call though,
>> it
>> was in the T&Cs etc. Question, which provider(s) offer a higher, or even
>> better, no max allowance?
>
> I'm happy with IDnet, as recommended by Colin Irvine. So far they seem
> to be coping with my son's doownload appetite.

Cheers, will check them out.

--
Dan
Clio V6

geoff

Dec 27, 2007, 12:00:00 PM12/27/07
In message <5thmmlF...@mid.individual.net>, Iridium
<iridi...@googlemail.com> writes
Uploads are not restricted, if you exceed the 60 gig d/load, you are
automatically restricted during peak hours, it's automatic and there's
nothing they can do about it

... unless you complain strongly to the UK instead of India (worked for
me)

How can you be throttled back twice in a month, the restriction takes
effect for one month

--
geoff

YTC#1

Dec 27, 2007, 2:20:43 PM12/27/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:41:20 +0000, Dr Zoidberg wrote:

> "Iridium" <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> We're currently with Demon on their office package, 60gb fair usage, but
>> my brother does a lot of sending huge things between home and work - and
>> I like the odd download - and they've (for the 2nd time this month...)
>> throttled us to 128kbps, which is a bit sluggish to say the least. Fair
>> call though, it was in the T&Cs etc. Question, which provider(s) offer
>> a higher, or even better, no max allowance?
>>

> If you are in a cabled area Virgin do unrestricted during the day , then
> in the evening if you go over their limit (currently 3gb per evening on a
> 20mb line) you get throttled to a quarter of your rated speed for the next
> four hours or so.

I'll have to check, but last time I looked it was only selected areas with
test capping.

> I've certainly gone over 100gb in a month with ease

--
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GS550, GSX250, 750SS
POTM#1(KoTL), WUSS#1 , YTC#1(bar), OSOS#2(KoTL) , DS#3 , IbW#18 ,Apostle#8

YTC#1

Dec 27, 2007, 2:21:26 PM12/27/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:30:00 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:

> Iridium <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> We're currently with Demon on their office package, 60gb fair usage, but
>> my brother does a lot of sending huge things between home and work - and
>> I like the odd download - and they've (for the 2nd time this month...)
>> throttled us to 128kbps, which is a bit sluggish to say the least. Fair
>> call though, it was in the T&Cs etc. Question, which provider(s) offer
>> a higher, or even better, no max allowance?
>
> I'm happy with IDnet, as recommended by Colin Irvine. So far they seem to
> be coping with my son's doownload appetite.

Most kids his age it would be porn, but bet its games :-)

The Older Gentleman

Dec 27, 2007, 2:30:06 PM12/27/07
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1NOARGYBEEF.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:30:00 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:
>
> > Iridium <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> We're currently with Demon on their office package, 60gb fair usage, but
> >> my brother does a lot of sending huge things between home and work - and
> >> I like the odd download - and they've (for the 2nd time this month...)
> >> throttled us to 128kbps, which is a bit sluggish to say the least. Fair
> >> call though, it was in the T&Cs etc. Question, which provider(s) offer
> >> a higher, or even better, no max allowance?
> >
> > I'm happy with IDnet, as recommended by Colin Irvine. So far they seem to
> > be coping with my son's doownload appetite.
>
> Most kids his age it would be porn, but bet its games :-)

Manga.

YTC#1

Dec 27, 2007, 2:40:51 PM12/27/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 19:30:06 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:

> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1NOARGYBEEF.co.uk> wrote:

>> > I'm happy with IDnet, as recommended by Colin Irvine. So far they seem
>> > to be coping with my son's doownload appetite.
>>
>> Most kids his age it would be porn, but bet its games :-)
>
> Manga.

Ah, so porn then :-)

Colin Irvine

Dec 27, 2007, 3:56:57 PM12/27/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:27:34 +0000, Colin Irvine
<Colin....@seebottomof.home.page> squeezed out the following:

>On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:11:46 -0000, "Iridium"
><iridi...@googlemail.com> squeezed out the following:
>
>>We're currently with Demon on their office package, 60gb fair usage, but my
>>brother does a lot of sending huge things between home and work - and I like
>>the odd download - and they've (for the 2nd time this month...) throttled us
>>to 128kbps, which is a bit sluggish to say the least. Fair call though, it
>>was in the T&Cs etc. Question, which provider(s) offer a higher, or even
>>better, no max allowance?
>
>LLU available?

Use this to find out
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

If available, Be may be your best bet for large bandwidth. Otherwise
(as TOG says) IDNet if you can afford it, or one of the Enternet
resellers if you can't. The latter do throttle but not, IIRC, hugely.

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 4:27:32 PM12/27/07
"Colin Irvine" <Colin....@seebottomof.home.page> wrote in message

Umm, I don't actually know what LLU is :-)

<googles>

Ah, no, no cable around here (assuming I've googled right).

We do only pay £20 a month (8mb, static IP etc), and have been really happy
with the service so far - very reliable and fast. Maybe I;ve gone off a bit
half cocked, we never usually get anywhere near the limit I suspect (never
seen the "You're at 57gb" email before this month anyway).

--
Dan
Clio V6

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 4:28:31 PM12/27/07
"geoff" <ra...@kateda.org> wrote in message

No it was definately lifted after about 5 days last time - they emailed us
and told us, and it got back to it's old speed.

--
Dan
Clio V6

geoff

Dec 27, 2007, 4:42:09 PM12/27/07
In message <5tijq4F...@mid.individual.net>, Iridium
<iridi...@googlemail.com> writes

maybe it's changed

what did your "you've been capped" email say ?

--
geoff

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 4:42:46 PM12/27/07
"Iridium" <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Bad form, but having just re-read the mail, apparently the 60gb limit is a
'rolling total' covering the last 30 days updated each day - so as soon as
you drop below the level they let you back up to speed.

--
Dan
Clio V6

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 4:43:09 PM12/27/07
"geoff" <ra...@kateda.org> wrote in message

Heh, see my other post :-)

--
Dan
Clio V6

geoff

Dec 27, 2007, 5:12:11 PM12/27/07
In message <5tikksF...@mid.individual.net>, Iridium
<iridi...@googlemail.com> writes
When I got capped, I got an email from them saying that my usage would
be capped during peak hours for 30 days

not just until it dropped below 60 gig

--
geoff

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 27, 2007, 5:17:15 PM12/27/07
"YTC#1" <b...@ytc1NOARGYBEEF.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:41:20 +0000, Dr Zoidberg wrote:
>
>> "Iridium" <iridi...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>> We're currently with Demon on their office package, 60gb fair usage, but
>>> my brother does a lot of sending huge things between home and work - and
>>> I like the odd download - and they've (for the 2nd time this month...)
>>> throttled us to 128kbps, which is a bit sluggish to say the least. Fair
>>> call though, it was in the T&Cs etc. Question, which provider(s) offer
>>> a higher, or even better, no max allowance?
>>>

>> If you are in a cabled area Virgin do unrestricted during the day , then
>> in the evening if you go over their limit (currently 3gb per evening on a
>> 20mb line) you get throttled to a quarter of your rated speed for the
>> next
>> four hours or so.
>
> I'll have to check, but last time I looked it was only selected areas with
> test capping.

They were trialling it in certain areas , but I'm pretty sure it's
nationwide now.

It's not a major problem either way

Colin Irvine

Dec 27, 2007, 6:06:23 PM12/27/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:27:32 -0000, "Iridium"

<iridi...@googlemail.com> squeezed out the following:

>"Colin Irvine" <Colin....@seebottomof.home.page> wrote in message

>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:27:34 +0000, Colin Irvine
>> <Colin....@seebottomof.home.page> squeezed out the following:

>>>LLU available?

>> Use this to find out
>> http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
>>
>> If available, Be may be your best bet for large bandwidth. Otherwise
>> (as TOG says) IDNet if you can afford it, or one of the Enternet
>> resellers if you can't. The latter do throttle but not, IIRC, hugely.
>>

>Umm, I don't actually know what LLU is :-)
>
><googles>
>
>Ah, no, no cable around here (assuming I've googled right).

Local Loop Unbundling. Firms like Be and Tiscali actually take over
some of the wires from BT. It's also the origin of some of the
cheapest combined packages, such as Talk Talk, where the telephone
service is taken over as well. Be (Orange IIRC) has a good reputation.
The site I gave you in my other post will tell you if any are
available at your exchange. Of course I realise that you might not now
move after all.

Bear

Dec 27, 2007, 7:58:26 PM12/27/07
In article Iridium said ...

> Bad form, but having just re-read the mail, apparently the 60gb limit is a
> 'rolling total' covering the last 30 days updated each day - so as soon as
> you drop below the level they let you back up to speed.

Eclipse tried that shit with me.

Their "normal" connection was so shit that, when they "capped" me, I
couldn't actually tell any difference.

Connection's been superb while everyone's been away for Xmas, mind.
Back to its normal shit self now though.
--
Bear

Iridium

Dec 27, 2007, 8:11:28 PM12/27/07
"Bear" <bastard...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I sit here now it's gone 11pm and it's uncapped and lovely. I'm resisting
the temptation to fire up a load of torrents though heh.

Oddly, Xbox Live works perfectly when the connection is capped - so it's not
really the end of the world, been that brother isn't here at the moment so
the connection isn't needed for anything but general surfing - and porn of
course.

--
Dan
Clio V6 #57

dog

Jan 2, 2008, 9:03:38 AM1/2/08
Bear wrote:
> Their "normal" connection was so shit that, when they "capped" me, I
> couldn't actually tell any difference.

i'm glad you put that in quotes. with raden's post i had "popped a cap in
yo ass" in a floaty text osd.
--
dog
sl1000 two#5 pwcram#3