Paging Mechanicisti

Rusty

Jul 6, 2006, 4:58:15 PM7/6/06
Hi there folks!

I hope someone can help cos I'm a bit confused about a problem on my bike.

It's a Kawasaki GPZ1000RX (otherwise known as a ZX1000A by Mr Kawasaki).
Some of you may consider that the problem in itself (!) but here is a brief
summary of the situation.

The bike had been left standing for a week or two. When I came to fire up
the engine and do the usual spot checks prior to a weekend of two wheeled
fun, a veritable Niagara Falls of liquid was dumped all over the garage
floor.

Having investigated where it is coming from, it seems to be coming from the
entry into the airbox that I would normally associate with some sort of
crankcase breather tube. (see linked photos - origin of liquid is circled in
red).

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/9395/20060707motorbikeproblems00012.jpg
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/4317/20060707motorbikeproblems00057.jpg

It really does squirt out at quite a rate of knots, as you will no doubt see
from the liquid splashes on the bike........

The liquid seems to be coolant but does smell of petrol too (probably not
surprising given that it's next to the carbs?)

Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how I
can go about solving it? I've had a hunt around the interweb for guidance
and not found anything particularly useful and Mr Haynes hasn't got any
positive suggestions for me either.

(Dropping a match on it and torching the bloody thing is probably a good
suggestion but not really what I'm after!)

Thanks in advance,

Rusty.

Krusty

Jul 6, 2006, 5:04:39 PM7/6/06
Rusty wrote:

> The liquid seems to be coolant but does smell of petrol too (probably
> not surprising given that it's next to the carbs?)
>
> Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to what the problem may be and
> how I can go about solving it?

Paging BGN...

--
Krusty.

http://www.muddystuff.co.uk
http://www.muddystuff.us
Off-road classifieds

'02 MV Senna '03 Tiger (FOYRNB) '96 Tiger '79 Fantic 250

Monz

Jul 6, 2006, 5:40:01 PM7/6/06

"Krusty" <dontw...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> Rusty wrote:
>
>> The liquid seems to be coolant but does smell of petrol too (probably
>> not surprising given that it's next to the carbs?)
>>
>> Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to what the problem may be and
>> how I can go about solving it?
>
> Paging BGN...

Head Gasket bolloxed??? pressurising the cooling system... Just a guess
like.

--
Monz
Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

Alison Hopkins

Jul 6, 2006, 5:52:17 PM7/6/06

"Rusty" <spamtra...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi there folks!

Oh! is that you? Are you back?

Ali

SD

Jul 6, 2006, 5:58:33 PM7/6/06
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:58:15 GMT, "Rusty"
<spamtra...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how I
>can go about solving it?

Dodgy fuel tap. apparently.
--
| ___ Salad Dodger
|/ \
_/_____\_ GL1500SEV/CBR1100XXX/CBX1000Z
|_\_____/_| ..80389../..21885.../..31432.
(>|_|_|<) TPPFATUICG#7 DIAABTCOD#9 WG*
|__|_|__| BOTAFOT #70 BOTAFOF #09 PM#5
\ |^| / IbW#0 & KotIbW# BotTOS#6 GP#4
\|^|/ ANORAK#17 IbB#4 YTC#4 two#11
'^' RBR'06 Points: 85 Miles: 413

Rusty

Jul 6, 2006, 6:10:41 PM7/6/06

"Alison Hopkins" <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

Yes, it's me. I was never away! :o)

Rusty.

Champ

Jul 6, 2006, 7:50:40 PM7/6/06
<spamtra...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi there folks!
>
>I hope someone can help cos I'm a bit confused about a problem on my bike.
>
>It's a Kawasaki GPZ1000RX (otherwise known as a ZX1000A by Mr Kawasaki).
>Some of you may consider that the problem in itself (!) but here is a brief
>summary of the situation.
>
>The bike had been left standing for a week or two. When I came to fire up
>the engine and do the usual spot checks prior to a weekend of two wheeled
>fun, a veritable Niagara Falls of liquid was dumped all over the garage
>floor.
>
>Having investigated where it is coming from, it seems to be coming from the
>entry into the airbox that I would normally associate with some sort of
>crankcase breather tube. (see linked photos - origin of liquid is circled in
>red).
>

>http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/9395/20060707motorbikeproblems00012.jpg
>http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/4317/20060707motorbikeproblems00057.jpg
>

>It really does squirt out at quite a rate of knots, as you will no doubt see
>from the liquid splashes on the bike........
>
>The liquid seems to be coolant but does smell of petrol too (probably not
>surprising given that it's next to the carbs?)

Well, this is an odd one, and strangely similar to BGN's problem with
his 500 (hence the other 'witty' posts).

The orifice in the photos is the crankcase breather. This is usually
routed into the airbox so that the oil-rich air that it emits can be
cycled through the engine and burnt.

If you've a) got lots of fluid coming out and b) it's not oil, then
there's something extremely wrong with your engine. I can think of
two possibilities:

1. A stuck float bowl in a carb, combined with a "continuously on"
fuel tap, has comprised to fill the crankcase with petrol. On a bike
of this age, with worn rings, I would expect the petrol to be able to
run down the bore, past the rings, and into the crankcases. When you
spin the motor, the crankcase pressure (every time a piston goes up,
another one comes down) pumps it out.
2. A blown head gasket, or water pump seal, or similar, has filled
the sump with coolant, with similar results.

Of the two, I think option 1 is more likely.

Have a look in the oil level window. Is it full? Full of something
other than oil? Also, does the radiator have fluid in it?

Either way, I'd drain the oil and see what I found.

HTH
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle

Pete Fisher

Jul 7, 2006, 2:19:01 AM7/7/06
In communiqué <s28ra2dsi1as4jnjq...@4ax.com>, Champ
<ne...@champ.org.uk> cast forth these pearls of wisdom

>>The liquid seems to be coolant but does smell of petrol too (probably not
>>surprising given that it's next to the carbs?)
>

>Either way, I'd drain the oil and see what I found.

I am assuming that it does not actually start and run OK?

What is the state of the radiator and header tank. Is the level very low
in the rad ? Is the header tank way over maximum ?

Either of these would suggest a head gasket failure . A really
catastrophic failure releasing pressure to the outside world would be
audible. If you remove a plug and crank it over is fluid ejected
forcefully from the plug hole?

A gasket failure can simply allow gases from the combustion chamber in
to the cooling system, or in some cases coolant to escape the other way
and make its way in to the crankcase. I have had both on the big bore
nordie. In my case I got small amounts of coolant in the oil which
really only showed up as a milky oil level sight glass and obvious
coolant contamination when draining the oil. If this is a more drastic
version of that I could understand coolant being puked from the
crankcase breather.

As Champ says drain the oil and see what is in there.

| Pete Fisher at Home: Pe...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk |
| Voxan Roadster Moto Guzzi Mille GT/Squire RS3 Gilera Nordwest |
| Gilera GFR Moto Morini 2C/375 |

Rusty

Jul 7, 2006, 2:33:19 AM7/7/06
<snip>

> I am assuming that it does not actually start and run OK?

No - it actually starts up and runs fine. The liquid starts spewing out once
the bike has been running for a few seconds.

Cheers for the help so far.

Rusty.

Pete Fisher

Jul 7, 2006, 3:46:38 AM7/7/06
In communiqué <Penrg.39876$Z61....@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Rusty
<spamtra...@ntlworld.com> cast forth these pearls of wisdom

><snip>
>
>> I am assuming that it does not actually start and run OK?
>
>No - it actually starts up and runs fine. The liquid starts spewing out once
>the bike has been running for a few seconds.

OK. Still doesn't completely rule out a head gasket leak. My nordie ran
fine. If you can get all the plugs out easily (I was thinking *single*)
and turn it over you may get some splatter out of one of the plug holes.
That would clinch a gasket leak.

So that leaves too much oil in the crankcase from over filling (not
likely on a wet sump motor) or other fluid in there. Could be coolant
could be fuel as Champ suggests.

Alternatively, excessive crankcase pressurisation from blow by past the
pistons and rings. That would puke loads out of the breather, but I
still can't see why that alone would result in coolant being pumped out
rather than just very oily mist and oil droplets.

Can't see why that would become so drastic so quickly either.

Champ's fuel theory is looking a strong contender for such an overnight
phenomenon - but why coolant, not just petrol diluted oil?

Alison Hopkins

Jul 7, 2006, 3:30:22 PM7/7/06

"Rusty" <spamtra...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Yes, but are you THE Rusty? The Hinged one? :)

Ali

Krusty

Jul 7, 2006, 4:28:35 PM7/7/06
Alison Hopkins wrote:

He's nothing without a K.

Andy Bonwick

Jul 7, 2006, 5:09:07 PM7/7/06
On 7 Jul 2006 20:28:35 GMT, "Krusty" <dontw...@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>Alison Hopkins wrote:
>

>> "Rusty" <spamtra...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> >"Alison Hopkins" <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

>> > Yes, it's me. I was never away! :o)
>> >

>> Yes, but are you THE Rusty? The Hinged one? :)
>
>He's nothing without a K.

Coming from someone who was framed by a cunt with an out there
hairstyle that's a bit strong.

Krusty

Jul 7, 2006, 5:30:16 PM7/7/06
Andy Bonwick wrote:

Brazilian?

Rusty

Jul 8, 2006, 6:20:14 AM7/8/06

"Alison Hopkins" <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
Aha - I think I know what you mean. I seem to recall there were two Rusty's
out here....

:o0

Rusty.

Alison Hopkins