TomTom tracklog

Jeremy Parker

Aug 14, 2008, 11:47:23 AM8/14/08
When I hook up my Tom-Tom Go to my computer I see that the Tom-Tom
has a file like Tom-Tom (F:)/statdata/triplog-2008-07-26.dat. I
assume that this contains a record of my last trip, or perhaps, a
record of the route the TomTom chose - I don't always follow the
advice of the lady in the box when she tells me to "turn around ...
when possible".

A quick look at this triplog file with Notepad, Wordpad, or Excel is
not very illuminating as to what it means, and it doesn't seem to be
a known format for translation programs like gpsBabel.

Is there an easy way to translate the file into something more
standard, such as gpx, so I can plot my routes on maps, Google Earth,
or whatever? All advice would be appreciated.

The itinerary file, in F:/itn/whatever.itn is more comprehensible,
just a list of places longitude, latitude, name,code.

In real life I sometimes find the itinerary feature slightly
irritating. If I put in a string of villages, the SatNav insists
that I go through the exact location that it considers the village's
location. If the place has, for example, a one way street system,
that means the satNav might decide to route me all round some
gyratory system for no good reason. It would be nice therefore to be
able to edit an itinerary file.

Would this have any bad side effects? I wouldn't want, for example,
to modify the gazetteer of places which the Satnav must have with its
map (and which I assume is encrypted)

Somewhere, too, if I'm actually on a trip, there ought to be a cue
sheet containing all the directions. However, I haven't yet looked
at my Tom-Tom's memory while in the middle of a trip, and I haven't
yet found a likely file

Jeremy Parker

CJY

Aug 18, 2008, 8:59:48 AM8/18/08
I'm not sure about the file you mention, but there are some applications to
help you transfer mapping details to other programs e.g.:
http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk
http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/

HTH

Chris

"Jeremy Parker" <Jeremy...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Jeremy Parker

Aug 18, 2008, 3:12:28 PM8/18/08
Thanks for the info'. It's all more complicated than I expected, and
therefore both awe inspiring and intimidating.

Jeremy Parker

"CJY" <news_gro...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

CJY

Aug 21, 2008, 11:48:09 AM8/21/08