Collecting again for IF

Skip to the first unread message

campingstoveman

29 Dec 2007, 11:15:3429/12/2007
Gentlemen,

Dan and I have been to Essex to collect an engine for Paul, the following is
my report.

Operation Kelvin went without a hitch and neither Dan or I got wet in the
river or by rain, infact its been a very nice sunny day.

We arrived at 10:30 and met Dudley, we then crossed the river on a scaffold
constructed bridge which bothered Dan because it started to oscillate under
our feet.
We had the use of a four wheel trolley and a shear legs and block and tackle
to lift the engine and place the engine on the trolley. This was then
wheeled to the pontoon and with the aid of planks and steel sheet we got the
trolley onto the pontoon, it was at this point Dan announced "I don't do
boats", so whilst we went back over the bridge Dudley moved a Barge and then
poled the pontoon around the Island to the bank nearest the car parking
area.
We positioned the pontoon so that we could use the ramps from my trailer as
the bank was steeper here and pulling/pushing the trolley up the bank would
have been impossible. I then unhitched the trailer and turned the van around
and then fitted the towing eye to the van, the trolley was then connected to
the van and with Dan and Dudley guiding and moving the ramps we pulled the
trolley off of the pontoon with the van.
We then reconnected the trailer to the van and loaded the engine said our
goodbye's and left for home after a short stop at a pub for a sandwich and a
shandy. Left home at 09:30 and was home 14:30.

A good day had by all, Dan will put pictures of the operation up this
evening all being well.

Martin P
--
martin...@btopenworld.com

Semper in Excrementem Altitudo Solus Varius

My Photo's :-
http://internalfire.com/modules.php?set_albumName=campingstoveman&op=modload&name=PubGallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Also you will find some here http://picasaweb.google.com/campingstoveman

Dan Howden

29 Dec 2007, 13:01:1329/12/2007
On 29 Dec, 16:15, "campingstoveman" <martin.per...@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

> A good day had by all, Dan will put pictures of the operation up this
> evening all being well.

Pics at http://www.tangye.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2637

Regards
Dan

Kim Siddorn

30 Dec 2007, 12:46:2630/12/2007
Looks pretty hairy getting the trolley onto/off of the barge! The current
must have been negligible too and a windless fine day to boot.

You both had more luck than you probably deserve, so I must assume it was
Paul's luck ticket that you were using ;o))

Well done all.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Tom

30 Dec 2007, 13:16:4030/12/2007
Dan Howden wrote:

A bit of a "Wind in the willows" type adventure. :-)
Fraught at times but successful. Makings of a good
yarn. Quote of the day: "I don't do boats." LOL.
Well done, men.

Tom

campingstoveman

30 Dec 2007, 16:13:1530/12/2007
There was certainly little wind but the river flow made the owner work to
get the pontoon into place as he was poling against it.

Martin P

"Kim Siddorn" <kim.s...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message