Buying bike for specific needs

1 view

Paulo Matos

Apr 25, 2007, 12:07:08 PM4/25/07
Hi guys,

I'm @ Southampton, UK and I would like to buy a bike to be able to go
shopping for some groceries to the city center and come back to my
flat in the halls, up in Basset. Now, I don't want to spend more than
150£ in the bike. Which kind of bike should I buy? To carry the
groceries, should I buy a set of panniers? I'll also need a rack,
right? Are racks compatible with any kind of bikes?

Some replies/references would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

Pete Biggs

Apr 25, 2007, 12:38:27 PM4/25/07
Paulo Matos wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm @ Southampton, UK and I would like to buy a bike to be able to go
> shopping for some groceries to the city center and come back to my
> flat in the halls, up in Basset. Now, I don't want to spend more than
> 150£ in the bike. Which kind of bike should I buy?

For that money, new, I think it would have to be a basic mountain bike,
preferably with no suspension, at least no rear suspension. Put "road" or
"slick" tyres on it. Also think about a second-hand hybrid or tourer, or
bump you budget up by another £50 to £100 if you can - it really will be
worth it.

> To carry the
> groceries, should I buy a set of panniers? I'll also need a rack,
> right? Are racks compatible with any kind of bikes?

Rack and panniers would be a very good idea. Most bikes will take a rack;
some racks are more suitable/adjustable for certain bikes than others. Your
local bike shop will advise and fit one.

~PB

soup

Apr 25, 2007, 1:10:24 PM4/25/07
Paulo Matos wrote:

Which kind of bike should I buy? To carry the
> groceries, should I buy a set of panniers? I'll also need a rack,
> right? Are racks compatible with any kind of bikes?

Cheapest rack I can see http://tinyurl.com/3984kw £12.95
Cheapest pannier I can see http://tinyurl.com/2vj5tm £19.95
_____
for a total of £32.90

As this is going to be left unattended whilst you go shopping it will
need a decent lock (more money)so now you are down to ~£100 for the
bike. I would seriously consider adding to your budget or buying second
hand (this may be problematical as I assume you don't actually live in
the Southampton area). Pretty much any rack can be fitted to any bike,
you may need to purchase "P clips" but the bike shop SHOULD be able to
advise you at the time of purchase.

--
www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

Simon Brooke

Apr 25, 2007, 4:58:40 PM4/25/07
in message <1177517228.3...@u32g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Paulo

The Claud Butler Classic comes as standard with rack and mudguards for
£200, and is a remarkably well made bike for that price. You're unlikely
to get a decent bike for any less. Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op's Revolution
Streetfinder also comes with rack and mudguards for £219, and again I'd
recommend it as excellent value for money.

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb/classicM.html

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=7845&f%5FSupersetQRY=C105%7E0&f%5FSortOrderID=0&f%5Fbct=c003155c002910m005725

--
si...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

Tosspot

Apr 25, 2007, 5:31:00 PM4/25/07

I can't see this at all. The panniers are going to set you back 30
squids for something even bearable.

I'd look to a better 2nd hand bike, even a free one if someones got
something they don't want.

Or dispense with the panniers and use a rucksack.

POHB

Apr 26, 2007, 6:32:12 AM4/26/07
On 25 Apr, 17:07, Paulo Matos <pocma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm @ Southampton, UK and I would like to buy a bike to be able to go
> shopping for some groceries to the city center and come back to my
> flat in the halls, up in Basset. Now, I don't want to spend more than
> 150£ in the bike. Which kind of bike should I buy? To carry the
> groceries, should I buy a set of panniers? I'll also need a rack,
> right? Are racks compatible with any kind of bikes?

A rack is definately a good idea but panniers can be expensive unless
you happen to be buying when Lidl or Aldi have some in. However, you
don't need them because you can bungee just about anything to the rack
- a rucksack, box or crate. If you've got a lot of shopping then put
the heavy stuff on the rack and light but bulky things like bog roll
in a rucksack on your back. There's always the classic carrier-bags-
on-the-handlebars option too, but not a good idea if you've far to go.

Pete Biggs

Apr 26, 2007, 8:23:49 AM4/26/07
POHB wrote:
> A rack is definately a good idea but panniers can be expensive unless
> you happen to be buying when Lidl or Aldi have some in. However, you
> don't need them because you can bungee just about anything to the rack
> - a rucksack, box or crate. If you've got a lot of shopping then put
> the heavy stuff on the rack and light but bulky things like bog roll
> in a rucksack on your back. There's always the classic carrier-bags-
> on-the-handlebars option too, but not a good idea if you've far to go.

Panniers are convenient to use and enable you to carry more stuff. Cheap
and second-hand ones can be found on eBay, if not locally.

~PB

Blonde

Apr 26, 2007, 8:27:50 AM4/26/07
It can be done! Cycling Plus magazine recently did an article on how
to build a bike for less than £100 but I seem to recall this did
involve a second hand frame and parts. I know what it's like to be on
a budget and a few yeats ago I managed to get myself a cyclo cross
bike frame and fork second hand for £30 from a local bike shop and
built up the bike mysalf. Admittedly this still cost me more than £150
in total because I wnated hand built wheels and other more expensive
parts, but it needed to be good enough for me to do audax rides of up
to 600km on it. I think you may find something second hand at local
bike shops and any bike shop with 'recycling or re-cycle' in the
titile is going to be more likely to have second hand bikes or parts.
With cheaper bikes the frames are often the same as some more
expensive models but the parts such as wheels, gears and brakes aren't
very good, so IMO you are better off with a reasonable quality second
hand road bike (tourer, audax or racing bike) or a lighter weight
hybrid, at that price, than a heavy mountain bike or hybrid from a
supermarket such as Aldi - even though these can seem tempting at less
than £100, they wont be very good quality and their heavy weight will
make cycling a lot harder and less fun.

I did manage to buy my parents some decent light weight hybrid bikes,
new (at Halfords), for £126 each, but they were in a half price sale
so they are usually twice that. It may be worth looking around at sale
prices but at this time of year bike shops are doing a good trade, so
I don't know if you'll find anywhere with a sale on at the moment!
Good look anyway. I hope you find something useful.

Mark Thompson

Apr 26, 2007, 4:04:17 PM4/26/07
> Now, I don't want to spend more than
> 150œ in the bike. Which kind of bike should I buy? To carry the

> groceries, should I buy a set of panniers? I'll also need a rack,
> right? Are racks compatible with any kind of bikes?

The best panniers for shopping (and most other things) are Ortlieb
classics. Unfortunately they're £75 a pair. Cheap panniers (£20) can be
had, but they're often crap. However, they will do the job and be a lot
cheaper. One of the worst things about the cheap panniers is that
they're fiddly to take on and off, but if you're leaving them on the bike
that's not a problem.

When buying a rear rack, get one with a 'dogleg'. This will stop the
cheaper panniers from flapping into the rear wheel.

As for the bike something without knobbly tyres, no suspension
(important) and mudguards is good.

It'll be impossible to get something both good and new for your budget -
'okay' bikes start at around £150, but £200 gets you something fit for
purpose. Getting one that already has 'guards and a rack saves you a
bit. Budget for a good D lock too.

Check out your local freecycle (google for it) group - you might be able
to stick a wanted notice up - that'd prolly get you a bike with 'guards
and a rack, plus a pair of panniers. Beware of second hand bikes thobut
- to replace the worn drivetrain (the chain, chainrings, rear
block/cassette usually need replacing) will often cost nearly as much as
a new bike!

Pete Biggs

Apr 26, 2007, 5:09:23 PM4/26/07
Mark Thompson wrote:

> The best panniers for shopping (and most other things) are Ortlieb

> classics. Unfortunately they're Ł75 a pair. Cheap panniers (Ł20)

> can be had, but they're often crap. However, they will do the job
> and be a lot cheaper. One of the worst things about the cheap
> panniers is that they're fiddly to take on and off, but if you're
> leaving them on the bike that's not a problem.

The fairly cheap ones I have hook on and off easily enough. I don't bother
with the straps that are supposed to secure them further.

> When buying a rear rack, get one with a 'dogleg'. This will stop the
> cheaper panniers from flapping into the rear wheel.

Not necessary with mine, but might be with larger or floppier bags.

~PB

Paulo Matos

May 5, 2007, 1:29:12 PM5/5/07
On Apr 25, 9:58 pm, Simon Brooke <s...@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:
> in message <1177517228.334143.192...@u32g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Paulo

> Matos ('pocma...@gmail.com') wrote:
> > Hi guys,
>
> > I'm @ Southampton, UK and I would like to buy a bike to be able to go
> > shopping for some groceries to the city center and come back to my
> > flat in the halls, up in Basset. Now, I don't want to spend more than
> > 150£ in the bike. Which kind of bike should I buy? To carry the
> > groceries, should I buy a set of panniers? I'll also need a rack,
> > right? Are racks compatible with any kind of bikes?
>
> > Some replies/references would be appreciated.
>
> The Claud Butler Classic comes as standard with rack and mudguards for
> £200, and is a remarkably well made bike for that price. You're unlikely
> to get a decent bike for any less. Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op's Revolution
> Streetfinder also comes with rack and mudguards for £219, and again I'd
> recommend it as excellent value for money.
>
> http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb/classicM.html
>
> http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=7845&...

After checking stuff around I think these seem very good bikes (at
least they are nice).

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a way to purchase them online
or somewhere very near Southampton City Center or Romsey? I'm living
in halls and I don't have transportation to get a bike too far away
from here. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

> --
> s...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke)http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Paulo Matos

May 5, 2007, 1:51:04 PM5/5/07

I've just found edinburgh sells them online and discount bikes has
claud butler for sale. I wonder if there is any danger on buying them
online. How do they come package? It should be a HUGE package, right?
Well, for me (i'm 174 cm tall), what's the best bike size for a city
bike, claud butler comes as 20 or 22. Again, any suggestions?

Paulo Matos

Tony Raven

May 5, 2007, 2:45:27 PM5/5/07
Paulo Matos wrote on 05/05/2007 18:29 +0100:

> After checking stuff around I think these seem very good bikes (at
> least they are nice).
>
> Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a way to purchase them online
> or somewhere very near Southampton City Center or Romsey? I'm living
> in halls and I don't have transportation to get a bike too far away
> from here. Any suggestions?

Try Cycleworld who do Claude Butler and have shops in both Romsey and
Southampton although the latter is a bit out of the centre in Thornhill.
You can catch a Solent Blue Line Bluestar 3 bus out there from
Bargate. though.
http://www.cycleworld.co.uk/

Edinburgh Cycles you will have to order on-line so I would go for the CB
as you can try it and see if it fits and is comfortable/what you want
before you buy. Cycleworld have it with £20 off at the moment.

You might also see what Portswood Cycles have - they are close and are
up on campus every Tuesday if you have problems

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Simon Brooke

May 5, 2007, 3:41:08 PM5/5/07
in message <1178386151.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Paulo

Matos ('pocm...@gmail.com') wrote:

Edinburgh Bicycle will supply over the web, but I'm not sure I'd recommend
that. Claud Butler is supplied by many local bike shops - there's bound to
be a dealer locally.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

John Hearns

May 5, 2007, 5:25:56 PM5/5/07
Paulo Matos wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm @ Southampton, UK and I would like to buy a bike to be able to go
> shopping for some groceries to the city center and come back to my
> flat in the halls, up in Basset.
Is there a branch of Decathlon down that way?
They have that sort of 'town/shopping bike'. They start from £69.
(Just had a look - nearest is London. Sorry)

I also hate to say it - think about the bike being stolen. Get a good
heavy chain to keep it safe. The type that motorbikes are secured with.
I saw a couple of decent Trelock chains in Decathlon today.