Problem With Alpine CD Head unit

Paul

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Hi there

My alpine head unit skips quite badly on cd when traveling down even the
smoothest road. I used to have the unit istalled in a renault 5 in a
vertical postion, from which the unit was great - never skipped once even
on the most buggered cd's i had and the worst roads i could find. However it
is now installed in a horizotal postion which makes it jump a lot. Anyone
got any idears to this problem - i have replaced all the wiring for the
feeds to the unit and they are all sound, i am just hoping that the laser
hasen't become misaligned! . Any help would be great

Thanks

Paul M

Phil

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Paul <ne...@download.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

On my Kenwood, there are 2 screws which need to turned 90 degrees. If I
don't do this I get bad skipping. I'd guess there'd be something similar on
your Alpine?

Sorry I can't help anymore than that.

Phil

Paul

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
How old is the head unit and how long was it installed in the Renault
5. If it is more than a year I wouldn't be surprised if the laser is on
its way out. Being in the position it is in, in a R5 it would bugger up
the stereo quite quickly. One thing to check though is to see if you
can tighten up the dashboard, it could be that is shaking around too
much. And do you have the rear mounting screw and rubber on the the
back of the stereo. If the back isnt held still it will skip a lot.

Paul

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Thanks for the replys.

I took the stereo out of the car and connected it up to a 12v supply and
a speaker. I found that when the unit was held vertically i could shake it a
lot and it wouldn't skip at all , however when shaked when held vertically
it skips. This lead me to believe that the head unit is not bugger as it
does work ok , sort off. I will have a look for any ajustment screws a bit
later.

Thanks for all help

Paul M

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
LAser moves up and down, so having it horizontal makes the laser jump too
much, Thus the cd skips... But when its vertical, there's really nowhere for
the laser to go..
So my advice is...... Put it vertical again or really REALLY pad it...
i.e.. put heaps of sponge or something under the cd changer, and hopefully
that'll abosorb the shock from the roads.. Better to go veritcal though..

Later..

C.

David Haigh

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
Hi Paul.
You may find the cd head you is set up for Horizontal only as all Multy's have
three set up for the shocking systems Horz, Vert, and 45 degree.
Dave.

Paul

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
But if you look in the specifications for the head unit it will say
mounting angle 0-45degrees. Vertical is 90degrees so is out of the
specified range hence it is likely that the stereo is damaged.