The WORST phonetic alphabet

David Stockton

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96

Subject line says it all.

For a bit of fun, let's create the world's *worst* phonetic alphabet!

Words like Aesop, Gnomon, Psyche, Cycle, Floccinaucinihilipilification,
Hay, Repeat, Not, Knot, Aye come to my warped and shrivelled mind.

(I'm particularly proud of R-for-Repeat)

Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!

Cheers
David GM4ZNX

Peter Reed

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
David Stockton (dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com) wrote:

: Subject line says it all.

: Cheers
: David GM4ZNX

Once had some problems with a guy in CE who alternately used
"Zulu" and "Xylaphone" to represent the "Z" in his callsign!

73, Peter G4BVH

Anthony R. Gold

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
In article <DMEEs...@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com>
dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com "David Stockton" writes:

> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!

Gnaw
Mnemonic
Pneumatic
Psoriasis

Regards,
--
Tony - G3SKR / AA2PM email: tg...@panix.com
tg...@microvst.demon.co.uk

Walt Davidson

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
>In article <DMEEs...@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com>
> dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com "David Stockton" writes:

>> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!

A- Although B- Bough C- Cough D- Dough (or Doughty) F - Fought
G- Gough H - Houghton (West) L- Lough N- Nought O - Ought
P - Plough R - Rough S- Slough T- Trough (or Tough or Though)
U - Ugh W- Wrought Y - Youghall E - Enough!

73 de Gabble 3 Nabble Yabble Yabble

--
Walt Davidson E-mail: wa...@servelan.co.uk
10052...@compuserve.com

John Boyer

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
How about canoe knew and new???

Regards John

internet: john....@rd.bbc.co.uk
packet: g0...@g0wrx.ampr.org (44.131.244.84)
home page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/john_wxpics/index.html

Richard Sterry

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
In message <DMEEs...@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com> David Stockton wrote:

> Subject line says it all.
>
> For a bit of fun, let's create the world's *worst* phonetic alphabet!
>
> Words like Aesop, Gnomon, Psyche, Cycle, Floccinaucinihilipilification,
> Hay, Repeat, Not, Knot, Aye come to my warped and shrivelled mind.
>
> (I'm particularly proud of R-for-Repeat)
>

> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!
>

> Cheers
> David GM4ZNX

I like the old joke about the Irish terrorist, (no offence, those of you
in /GI and /EI), who was trying to tell an arms dealer, over a very
noisy phone line, that he wanted "GUNS". The dealer couldn't tell if the
guy wanted "BUNS", "TONS", or whatever. So, the dealer asks him to spell
the word, and here's what the terrorist said...

" 'G' for Jeans 'U' for Onions 'N' for Knickers 'S' for Cement "

Mind you, having seen the level of literacy on packet radio, I don't
think that joke is exaggerted enough to be funny!

73
--
Bye from Rick

+----------------+---------------------------+-------------------------+
| Richard Sterry | - Internet Email - | - Packet Radio - |
| Wakefield UK | ric...@waveg.demon.co.uk | G4BLT@GB7WRG.#19.GBR.EU |
+----------------+---------------------------+-------------------------+

Stephen John Farthing

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
At the 1971 Isle of Wight festival CHEECH and CHONG performed a
sketch about a US Army platoon in Viet Nam who were under the influence of
dope. The sketch consisted of a QSO between the OP at said platoon and
the OP at HQ who had the callsign John Fox Dog. The punch line was "If you are
that weird come on over." It was quite funny at the time.

To get back to the point:

A Again B Break S Say (or Sexist) O Over T Transubstantiation
D Deoxyribosenucleic E Eeeek F Sixteen (as in Hexadecimal 16) G - any G
callsign ( but watch out for recursion) M Mumble W What H Howdy-doody
X Xerox
--
Steve Farthing | ste...@stevef.demon.co.uk |
Melksham RSGB GQRP 7766 BCS 12wpm Morse Test passed. Waiting for my call

Malcolm Appleby G3ZNU

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
In article <DMEEs...@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com>, David Stockton
<dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com> writes

> Subject line says it all.
>
> For a bit of fun, let's create the world's *worst* phonetic alphabet!

So have you not all heard this one:

A - arear
B - beer
C - cheer
D - deer
E - ear
F - fear
G - gear
H - hear
I - idea
J - jeer
K - keyer
L - leer
M - mere
N - near
O - oesophagus
P - peer
Q - queer
R - rear
S - seer
T - tear
U - urea
V - veer
W - weir
X - xylophone (!)
Y - year
z - zaire

Any improvements?

73
Malcolm
--
Malcolm Appleby G3ZNU

Mike Chaloner

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
A again B bye C cheers E eschew (bless you!)
F fire (where?!) G gerry H haut-cuisine ....

also..
M mayday
P polymorphonuclearleucrocyte or maybe Phantom

etc..

David McEachran

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
(David Stockton) writes:
> Newsgroups: uk.radio.amateur
> From: dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com (David Stockton)
> Subject: The WORST phonetic alphabet
> Sender: ne...@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com (SQF News Admin)
> Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:09:45 GMT

> Subject line says it all.
>
> For a bit of fun, let's create the world's *worst* phonetic alphabet!
>
> Words like Aesop, Gnomon, Psyche, Cycle, Floccinaucinihilipilification,
> Hay, Repeat, Not, Knot, Aye come to my warped and shrivelled mind.
>
> (I'm particularly proud of R-for-Repeat)
>

> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!
>

> Cheers
> David GM4ZNX

What about Xylophone for Z ?
Regards
David McEachran, G6CXA
Lowe Electronics, Bristol
G0THT @ GB7IMB

David Stockton

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Mike Chaloner (mik...@hysteria.bri.hp.com) wrote:

: also..
: M mayday

Now THAT has to be in the worst alphabet.

P for Panpanpan to go with it?

Cheers
David

Richard Herring

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Walt Davidson (wa...@servelan.co.uk) wrote:
: >In article <DMEEs...@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com>
: > dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com "David Stockton" writes:

: >> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!

: 73 de Gabble 3 Nabble Yabble Yabble
Try some combination of:
Able, Babel, Cable, Fable, Gable, Label, Mabel, Sable, Table,
Beer, Dear, Ear, Fear, Gear, Hear, Jeer, Leer, Mere, Near, Peer,
Queer, Rear, Sear, Tear, Veer, Weir, Year
and a few others. I think this one appeared in SWM many years ago.
--
Richard Herring | richard...@gecm.com | Speaking for myself
GEC-Marconi Research Centre | Not the one on TV.

John Morris

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
In article <DMEEs...@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com>
dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com "David Stockton" writes:

> Subject line says it all.
>
> For a bit of fun, let's create the world's *worst* phonetic alphabet!
>
> Words like Aesop, Gnomon, Psyche, Cycle, Floccinaucinihilipilification,
> Hay, Repeat, Not, Knot, Aye come to my warped and shrivelled mind.
>
> (I'm particularly proud of R-for-Repeat)
>

> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!
>

> Cheers
> David GM4ZNX

(Some have these have already appeared in the thread...)

Aye
Bee
Cue
Double-u
Ell
Four
Gibe
Hour
Iambic
Jay
Knot
Lye
Mnemonic
Nine
Owe
Pea
Quay
Repeat
See
Tea
Urn
Veldt
Write
Xenon
You
Zero

--
John Morris However, I still think that both points are worth
Jo...@kirsta.demon.co.uk making. The fact that they are contradictory is

Phil Rose

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In article 823767...@stevef.demon.co.uk, Stephen John Farthing <Ste...@stevef.demon.co.uk> writes:
>.. D Deoxyribosenucleic E Eeeek F Sixteen (as in Hexadecimal 16) G - any G
^^^^^^^

Pity it's Fifteen

49 de G3ZZA

---
Phil Rose The views herein expressed are mine
p...@wg.icl.co.uk and mine alone - not those of ICL
P.V....@UK03.wins.icl.co.uk
G3ZZA

Colin Edwards

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
I thought I'd forgotten this (well I have some of it) :

A for mentioned
B for the mast
D for ential
E for 'er
F for vescent
G for Gosh sake Batman
I for the engine
K for teria
J for Oranges
L for Leather
O for a day at Blackpool
P for a penny
Q for everything
R for Daley

enough already............

I know only E,G,L & P really work.
--
Colin Edwards

Andy McMullin

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
dst...@hpqmdla.sqf.hp.com (David Stockton) wrote:

> Subject line says it all.

> For a bit of fun, let's create the world's *worst* phonetic alphabet!

> Words like Aesop, Gnomon, Psyche, Cycle, Floccinaucinihilipilification,
>Hay, Repeat, Not, Knot, Aye come to my warped and shrivelled mind.
> (I'm particularly proud of R-for-Repeat)
> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!

> Cheers
> David GM4ZNX

I can only remember the beginning, but....

A if for 'orses,
Beef or Mutton
C Sea the shining Sea
..
P for a Penny
..

........ I used to know the lot once :-(
----------
Regards
Andy
Andy McMullin - G8TQH
Technical Support, Plymouth Business School, University of Plymouth
_
Drake Circus ---------------+---------------
Plymouth ___ /^^[___ _
PL4 8AA /|^+----+ |#___________//
England ( -+ |____| ______-----+/
==_________--' \
Tel: +44 (0)1752 232835 ~_|___|__
Fax: +44 (0)1752 232880
X400/rfc1006 : g=Andy;s=McMullin;o=Plymouth;ou=Business-School;p=uk.ac;c=GB
rfc822/JANET : Andy.M...@pbs.plym.ac.uk

Mark Pettigrew

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
Andy McMullin wrote:

> I can only remember the beginning, but....
>
> A if for 'orses,
> Beef or Mutton
> C Sea the shining Sea
> ..
> P for a Penny
> ..
>
> ........ I used to know the lot once :-(

The version I have is

'Ay fer 'orses
Beef or mutton
Seaforth highlanders
Deaf or dumb
'Eave a brick
Effervescence
Chief of police
'Ate yer for it
Eye fer an eye
J fer oranges
Kafe fer a cuppa
'Ell fer leather
Emphasis
N fer a penny . . .
Over my dead body
Pee fer a penny
Q fer the flicks
'arf a mo
S fer me
T fer two
Euphemism
Viva la France
Double you for it
Wife or girlfriend?
's 'ead fer 's 'at

But if we want the worst phonetic alphabet, two things spring to mind.
First, how about <in a loud patronising voice, in the way that English
speakers use when talking to foreigners> A, B, C, D . . .

Second, how about simpply changing the alphabet each time a letter is
used, in the apparent hope that at least one version will get through but
with the usual effect that the poor recipient, hoping to understand on
the second hearing, is totally perplexed. For example:

CW 80 [sic] from Golf Zero Whiskey Lima Romeo, George Nought Washington
London Radio, General Nil Winnipeg Lemon Radar and standing by . . .

Mark
G0WLR

"There is at least one elegant solution to any problem" [Harvey Jackins]

Benton StJ Bonney

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
How about:

K is for Khadafi
Q is for Quadafi

B is for Bejing
P is for Peking

-------
BS Bonney
bsbo...@cris.com

koda...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2013, 5:05:49 PM6/10/13
On Wednesday, February 7, 1996 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, David Stockton wrote:
> Subject line says it all.
>
> For a bit of fun, let's create the world's *worst* phonetic alphabet!
>
> Words like Aesop, Gnomon, Psyche, Cycle, Floccinaucinihilipilification,
> Hay, Repeat, Not, Knot, Aye come to my warped and shrivelled mind.
>
> (I'm particularly proud of R-for-Repeat)
>

> Come on chaps and chapesses, do your worst!
>

> Cheers
> David GM4ZNX

i work in a field with some people that may have never heard the nato phonetic alphabet best few that come to mind,

z as in zed
I as in Eye of the tiger
Y as in why do i need this part
x as in Ex wife
Message has been deleted

Ian Jackson

Jun 11, 2013, 5:47:40 AM6/11/13
In message <kp6nj2$5k4$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, Jeff <je...@assystems.com>
writes

>Used quite often by French stations; 'xylophone' always struck me as an
>odd phonetic.

I recall that around 1960, the RSGB Bulletin humorously suggested an
alternative set of phonetics. X was Xanthippe.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/xantippe
--
Ian

~ ŚĿĄⱤ₮ῘḆḁṜṱḟᶏȘȶ ©

Jun 12, 2013, 8:36:11 AM6/12/13
PTARMIGAN

wrote in message

Brian Morrison

Jun 12, 2013, 8:43:23 AM6/12/13
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:36:11 +0700
~ ŚĿĄⱤ₮ῘḆḁṜṱḟᶏȘȶ © wrote:

> Y as in why do i need this part

In WWII the Y service that intercepted Enigma radio signals for BP was
called that because it was done using the "Y-ur-less".

--

Brian Morrison

Spike

Jun 12, 2013, 9:53:44 AM6/12/13
Brian Morrison wrote:

> In WWII the Y service that intercepted Enigma radio signals for BP was
> called that because it was done using the "Y-ur-less".

They may have done more than that, judging by a story told by Leo Mark
in his book 'Between Silk and Cyanide" (highly recommended).

It was during the period when Marks was concerned about the Dutch
networks, but at this point he only had suspicions. One day, his boss
was away, and Marks took the opportunity of an excuse to visit his
office to have a look through the files that were on his desk.
Selecting a nondescript grey folder with no markings, on the basis
that 'all that glisters is not gold', Marks was astonished to find a
report in it that detailed the movements of the Dutch SOE wirelesses
from DF reports issued by an organisation of which he knew nothing.
Gentle questioning of two ladies that had worked for his boss pre-war
merely confirmed his suspicions that there was a lot more than he was
aware of, as they gently deflected his enquiries.

Just to follow this up, Marks was called by the Head of Finance to
give him a briefing about Marks' department, which brought the Dutch
problem to the fore when the HoF asked the innocent question "Do we
get many indecipherable messages?' (a topic that Marks was highly
concerned about, as it meant a WOP had to go on the air again to
resend the message). "Yes" replied Marks "We get indecipherables from
the Danes, French, Belgians, Norwegians....Oh! Would you excuse me
sir?".

He'd tumbled to the non-obvious fact that only the Dutch had never
sent an indecipherable message, and he knew from his training of the
wireless ops exactly what each was capable of. The Germans had
captured a wireless operator, and used this to arrange more
air-drops...capturing in the end some 50 people. The actual people
were doing the sending, as could be told from their individual
'fists', but the suspicion was that the Germans were doing the
coding.

The Germans called it 'The Englandspiel' (English game), and it ran
for some time...

Amazing what can be done with a 5W CW transmitter and concealed
aerials!

--
Spike

Brian

Jun 16, 2013, 7:36:14 AM6/16/13
There was one doing the rounds, quite a few years ago now, which
began:

A for horses
B for mutton
C for thighlanders

The last in particular took quite a lot of explaining to anyone "of a
younger generation".

I had the whole thing written down somewhere, but (predictably) cannot
now find it.

Brian

Remove 2001. to reply by email.

I'm Old Gregg

Jun 16, 2013, 12:20:35 PM6/16/13
"Brian" <Br...@2001.bjforster.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
I've got :-

A for 'orses
B for Mutton
C for Miles
D for dentures
E for ning standard
F for vessance
G for police
H for consent
I for Novello
J for oranges
K for teria
L for leather
M for sis
N for lope
O for the wings of a Dove
P for ming Seals
Q for snooker
R for mo
S for midable
T for Two
U for mizzam
V for la France
W for quits
X for breakfast
Y for mistress
Z for breezes

They don't all makes sense to my, but who am I.

© One of those Schott's Books

Jon