Murder victims father says : 'If you value your life carry a weapon'

Crowley

Jan 15, 2006, 5:34:32 AM1/15/06
The father of the lawyer stabbed to death by two blacks last week
speaks out. While I have great sympathy for him and understand what
he's saying I'm not sure this is the answer to the violent crime wave
sweeping Britain.

A change of government to one that puts the welfare and security of
British citizens first would be a start................

'If you value your life carry a weapon'

by JO KNOWSLEY and LOUISA PRITCHARD, Mail on Sunday

09:39am 15th January 2006

Ordinary people should carry weapons if they want to be safe on
Britain's crime-ridden streets, the father of murdered lawyer Tom Ap
Rhys Pryce's fiancee said last night.
In a bitter denunciation of the lack of police officers on the beat and
the lenience of the courts, Rod Eastman said it was better to risk
arrest for carrying an offensive weapon than risk being murdered by
muggers.

Mr Eastman launched his attack on 'this lawless society' as he
comforted his daughter Adele, who was still struggling to come to terms
with her fiance's brutal killing just yards from their North London
home. "If you value your life and you want to protect yourself on the
streets then the only way is to carry a weapon," said 58-year-old Mr
Eastman, an electrical engineer who lives in Bishop's Nympton, Devon.

In an impassioned outburst sure to cause concern to police, Mr Eastman
said: "The truth is that street crime is rampant. More and more people
are becoming personally affected by violent assaults.

"If police catch you carrying a weapon you could be arrested and
prosecuted. But isn't that better than being unable to protect yourself
and losing your life? The police can't be everywhere and the sentences
handed down by the courts are often far too lenient."

Adele, 31, a lawyer with Royal solicitors Farrer & Co, was last night
said to be 'beside herself' with grief over Thursday night's killing
and too distraught to speak.

But Mr Ap Rhys Pryce's family pleaded for help catching his killers,
saying that words could not express their sense of loss at the
"senseless crime which cut short the life of a gifted young man who had
everything to live for".

Mr Ap Rhys Pryce, a first-class honours graduate of Trinity College,
Cambridge University, was killed after going out for drinks with
colleagues at City of London law firm Linklaters on Thursday.

Fiancee began cooking supper

Adele, who had taken a taxi home earlier, spoke to him shortly before
11pm when he rang her to say he was taking the train to Kensal Green,
near their home in Willesden, North London. She began cooking them
supper.

But at about 11.45pm, shortly after leaving the station and just yards
from his Bathurst Gardens home, 31-year-old Mr Ap Rhys Pryce was
viciously and repeatedly stabbed by two men after they had mugged him
of everything he had.

Neighbours reported hearing a man pleading with the thugs: "What more
do you want from me? You've got everything."

Mr Ap Rhys Pryce suffered wounds to his hands as he fought in vain to
defend himself from his attackers, but they inflicted several fatal
blows to his chest as well as stabbing him in the head.

One woman told how she looked outside following the disturbance and saw
the victim's gloves still lying on the pavement after he had been
rushed to hospital.

Also lying in the street were a series of notes about Mr Ap Rhys
Pryce's plans for his wedding to Adele, which he had been carrying and
which were scattered in the attack. They had intended to tie the knot
in Tuscany in September.

Last night police described the incident as a 'gratuitous, sustained
and senseless attack' by muggers who may have waited for up to 15
minutes to ambush their victim.

Detective Superintendent Julian Worker, who is leading the murder
investigation, said: "Witnesses have come forward to say that there
were two men in Bathurst Gardens before Tom walked into the road."

'He was pleading with them'

DS Worker said: "It is clear it was a robbery. We know that he had
already handed over everything of value. He was pleading with them and
they just produced knives and started stabbing him."

His killers are described as black and in their late teens or early
20s. One wore a hooded top. Last night forensic officers were still
searching the scene for a murder weapon.

DS Worker said it was vital that witnesses came forward. "The family
have provided a statement that reinforces my comments that Tom was an
innocent man who was very much in love, seeking to marry and lead a
happy life with Adele.

"These murderers have snuffed out that future. They must be caught and
prevented from carrying out any further attacks."

DS Worker said it was possible one or both of the attackers had been
injured in the assault.

Adele is understood to have come out of the flat to investigate
Thursday night's commotion as police arrived, but she is not thought to
have seen her fiance's body.

Last night outside the Bathurst Gardens terrace where Mr Ap Rhys Pryce
died there was still a 50ft trail of blood leading to a dark pool in
the gutter, where he collapsed.

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: "I heard a bit of
noise. I had no idea what was happening. I heard some running and after
this a low conversation.

"It didn't sound aggressive. It's quite a friendly neighbourhood and
I've been here 20 years. I feel very upset."

Another local resident, Robert Voce, who knew Mr Ap Rhys Pryce, laid
flowers at the scene yesterday. "These are from everybody, the whole
community, just to say how dreadful it is," he said.

A sympathy card attached to another floral tribute said: "Tom, it was
an honour to know you. Rest in peace. To Adele and your family, I'm so
sorry. Mat."

Another note said: "So sorry. Why?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=374120&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=News&ct=5

Chris X

Jan 15, 2006, 5:48:06 AM1/15/06

"Crowley" <crowley...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> The father of the lawyer stabbed to death by two blacks last week
> speaks out. While I have great sympathy for him and understand what
> he's saying I'm not sure this is the answer to the violent crime wave
> sweeping Britain.

This'll have war criminal Bliar's Stasi rather annoyed - can't have the
people making their own decisions now, can we ?
Doubtless one of the newsgroup simpletons will be along shortly to tell us
how Rhys-Price should have done as those passengers did on that bus in Leeds
and said "I have no problem with you" to his attackers - that way, he'd have
just escaped with a beating.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.htmlin_article_id=374120&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=News&ct=5

Northern Raider

Jan 15, 2006, 6:24:22 AM1/15/06
He died to benefiot the lefts multi cultural dream.

Northern Raider

Jan 15, 2006, 6:28:27 AM1/15/06

"Look what happens in Blairs Britain if you DARE defend yourself, Ask Tony
Martin.

John

Jan 15, 2006, 6:23:34 AM1/15/06

"Crowley" <crowley...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> The father of the lawyer stabbed to death by two blacks last week
> speaks out. While I have great sympathy for him and understand what
> he's saying I'm not sure this is the answer to the violent crime wave
> sweeping Britain.
>
> A change of government to one that puts the welfare and security of
> British citizens first would be a start................
>
> 'If you value your life carry a weapon'
>
> by JO KNOWSLEY and LOUISA PRITCHARD, Mail on Sunday
>
> 09:39am 15th January 2006
>
> Ordinary people should carry weapons if they want to be safe on
> Britain's crime-ridden streets, the father of murdered lawyer Tom Ap
> Rhys Pryce's fiancee said last night.
> In a bitter denunciation of the lack of police officers on the beat and
> the lenience of the courts, Rod Eastman said it was better to risk
> arrest for carrying an offensive weapon than risk being murdered by
> muggers.

Yebbut, don't the surveys show that rather than protecting victims from
murder carrying a weapon actually increases the risk.

And how many more officers would need to be on the beat in order for there
to be a reasonable chance that they would just randomly be in the right
place at the right time to stop a crime like this.

How much would it cost in taxes if we did have longer prison sentances and a
lot more people in prison.

Oh well it makes a good story and something must be done. Oh yeah and should
the sentance for carrying a knife be more or less.

Northern Raider

Jan 15, 2006, 6:41:37 AM1/15/06

"John" <Jo...@spam.co.uk> wrote in message

> Yebbut, don't the surveys show that rather than protecting victims from
> murder carrying a weapon actually increases the risk.

Naa honestly that just fantasy put about by the ACPO and the govt, It is
better to be tried by 12 good men, than be carried by six. Gun and weapon
control are in place not for public safety issues but to allow tyranical
govt to do what it wants without dissent.

knowitall

Jan 15, 2006, 7:08:18 AM1/15/06
It is only logical to be armed in such circumstances.
The trouble is that modern governments want sheep not
people.

Cedric

Jan 15, 2006, 8:22:59 AM1/15/06
Crowley wrote:
> The father of the lawyer stabbed to death by two blacks last week
> speaks out. While I have great sympathy for him and understand what
> he's saying I'm not sure this is the answer to the violent crime wave
> sweeping Britain.
>
> A change of government to one that puts the welfare and security of
> British citizens first would be a start................
>
> 'If you value your life carry a weapon'

Is it legal to even recommend this behavior?

abelard

Jan 15, 2006, 8:40:29 AM1/15/06
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:22:59 +0000, Cedric <Ced...@hotmail.com>

typed:

it is not legal to defend yourself or your property in the uk...
unless you do it ineffectively....

the public liar has made effective self-defence illegal....

in the uk, only crims and police may now be armed.....
and the police are in no position and have little inclination
to do more than stop the middle classes driving too quickly....

you cannot wire an alarm system to the police

if you ask the police for response to hassle. there will be a waiting time
sufficient to allow all normal tumult to recede....

if you inform the police you are under threat, you will be told 'we cannot
do anything' until of course it is too late.....unless of course you
are a politician....

however, if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear....

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news and comment service, logic,
energy, education, politics, etc 1,544,346 document calls in year past

JA**

Jan 15, 2006, 8:44:16 AM1/15/06

"Cedric" <Ced...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

----------
Probably not, knowing this present lot in power, he will be sent down for
life just for speaking what everyone else thinks

Crowley

Jan 15, 2006, 9:23:10 AM1/15/06

Wonders never cease. Abelard said something sensible.

Or is he the latest poster to get a forger ? LOL

Fred

Jan 15, 2006, 9:33:08 AM1/15/06

"John" <Jo...@spam.co.uk> wrote in message

Yep, just have to let them carry on then and hope this sort of thing
doesn't happen to one of our nearest and dearest. Musn't grumble.

Dooby Doo

Jan 15, 2006, 12:51:06 PM1/15/06
> Wonders never cease. Abelard said something sensible.

I don't think anyone could effectively re-create that peculiarly incoherent
appearance that his posts have.

Crowley

Jan 15, 2006, 1:25:29 PM1/15/06

True. It takes a special "talent" that only poor old abelard
possesses.

AlanG

Jan 15, 2006, 1:34:03 PM1/15/06
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:40:29 +0100, abelard <abel...@abelard.org>
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:22:59 +0000, Cedric <Ced...@hotmail.com>
>
> typed:
>>Crowley wrote:
>>> The father of the lawyer stabbed to death by two blacks last week
>>> speaks out. While I have great sympathy for him and understand what
>>> he's saying I'm not sure this is the answer to the violent crime wave
>>> sweeping Britain.
>>>
>>> A change of government to one that puts the welfare and security of
>>> British citizens first would be a start................
>>>
>>> 'If you value your life carry a weapon'
>
>>Is it legal to even recommend this behavior?
>
>it is not legal to defend yourself or your property in the uk...
>unless you do it ineffectively....
>
>the public liar has made effective self-defence illegal....

That would be Churchill.
He was a politician and his lips moved so I suppose you could argue
for him being a liar.
He actually made possession of the means of defence illegal.
Various home secs have extended the rule until Howard banned under 16s
from buying sharp objects.

The carrying of ordinary household objects outside the home can now
get one a holiday paid for by the taxpayer

The phrase 'without good reason' is a particularly nasty one when one
wants to keep a toolkit in ones car.

>in the uk, only crims and police may now be armed.....

Only the police.
But there is little chance of the criminal being apprehended.

OTOH I am old enough to need a hefty walking stick at times.

>and the police are in no position and have little inclination
> to do more than stop the middle classes driving too quickly....

Or harrass the poorer classes in their old cars.
An old car must surely have soemthing wrong with it....

>you cannot wire an alarm system to the police
>
>if you ask the police for response to hassle. there will be a waiting time
> sufficient to allow all normal tumult to recede....
>
>if you inform the police you are under threat, you will be told 'we cannot
> do anything' until of course it is too late.....unless of course you
> are a politician....

30 armed cops guarding Blair's constituency home

>however, if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear....

Foolish youth...

Harry The Horse

Jan 15, 2006, 1:31:37 PM1/15/06
Cedric wrote:

> Is it legal to even recommend this behavior?

It's not yet a criminal offence to incite others to carry an offensive (sic)
weapon.

John

Jan 15, 2006, 1:45:25 PM1/15/06

"Fred" <Fr...@Frednet.com> wrote in message

>> Oh well it makes a good story and something must be done. Oh yeah and
>> should the sentance for carrying a knife be more or less.
>>

> Yep, just have to let them carry on then and hope this sort of thing
> doesn't happen to one of our nearest and dearest. Musn't grumble.

Or perhaps the police could use CCTV, computer databases and modern forensic
techniques to identify and catch the killers.

Andrew Thomas

Jan 15, 2006, 2:06:42 PM1/15/06

Crowley wrote:
> The father of the lawyer stabbed to death by two blacks last week
> speaks out. While I have great sympathy for him and understand what
> he's saying I'm not sure this is the answer to the violent crime wave
> sweeping Britain.

No. Much better to have another handful of half-arsed,
two-week-half-life "initiatives" from this pitiful joke of a government
we have, plus a few more photo calls of bLiar pretending to hose down
some graffiti. Yes, that's much better.

Northern Raider

Jan 15, 2006, 3:02:31 PM1/15/06

>Guys tell me this, If a much loved and valued member of your family was
>attacked by two thugs armed with knives or guns or base ball bats etc,
>which would you prefer, that they at least had the tools and equipment
>available to give them a chance of driving away their attackers, or the
>knowledge that the police will carry out a thorough investigation after
>your loved ones had been robbed and slaughtered like defenceless sheep.

Northern Raider

Jan 15, 2006, 3:08:39 PM1/15/06
So long as the victims of gun, knife, and violent crimes, sexual offences
etc are labour and liberal voters , plus the anti gun lobby they are simply
reaping the benefits of the beliefs

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John

Jan 16, 2006, 3:35:50 AM1/16/06

"Northern Raider" <norther...@northland.com> wrote in message

I would rather live in a civilised society where the police attempt to
minimise the number of crimes under the rule of law.

I do not want to live in a society which operates under the law of the
jungle. If everyone was armed it is almost enevitable that otherwise
inconsequential misunderstandings would escalte thus increasing the overall
risk.

Paul Hyett

Jan 16, 2006, 2:58:24 AM1/16/06
In uk.politics.misc on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 at 11:24:22, Northern Raider
wrote :

>He died to benefiot the lefts multi cultural dream.

I can't imagine even the *left* being happy at murders carried out by
immigrants!
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Paul Hyett

Jan 16, 2006, 2:57:11 AM1/16/06
In uk.politics.misc on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 at 11:23:34, John wrote :

>Yebbut, don't the surveys show that rather than protecting victims from
>murder carrying a weapon actually increases the risk.

Only for the attacker!
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Paul Hyett

Jan 16, 2006, 3:00:16 AM1/16/06
In uk.politics.misc on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 at 14:40:29, abelard wrote :

>>> 'If you value your life carry a weapon'
>
>>Is it legal to even recommend this behavior?
>
>it is not legal to defend yourself or your property in the uk...
>unless you do it ineffectively....

Or so the gov't would have you believe...

>you cannot wire an alarm system to the police

Especially if it's 50,000 volts? :)
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Message has been deleted

Frinkenstein

Jan 16, 2006, 4:54:10 AM1/16/06
Cedric wrote:

I'm sure the 'police' are interviewing him today. Incitement to defend
yourself or some such.

--
I predict that within 100 years computers will be twice
as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that

Message has been deleted

Frank F. Matthews

Jan 16, 2006, 11:30:09 AM1/16/06

John wrote:

I suppose that the issue here is has the jungle arrived in Britain? A
civilized society is certainly preferable. Is one on offer?

As to using the vaunted technology to catch and punish the killers it is
useful only if there is a strong deterrent for future possible killers.
If such assaults occur regularly then folks must face the fact that a
civilized society is not possible. In that case they can reasonable be
expected to respond even if that causes further deterioration.