- Aus. vs USA ... who is lying ?

- Prof. Jonez©

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans

March 23, 2000
Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the U.S. National Rifle
Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's gun reform laws
had backfired.

The video, presented as a television news story, claims that crimes involving guns have
increased in Australia since the laws, which ban all semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic
shotguns and pump action shotguns, were introduced.

Federal Attorney General Daryl Williams said the NRA was using inaccurate statistics and
urged the group to remove "any reference to Australia" from its Web site.

"I find it quite offensive that the NRA is using the very successful gun reform laws
introduced in 1996 as the basis for promoting ownership of firearms in the United States,"
he said.

Williams sent a letter today to NRA president Charlton Heston, asking for the immediate
withdrawal of misleading information.

Australia's gun-related homicide rate was 0.28 per 100,000 people in 1998 compared to 4
per 100,000 in the United States, Williams wrote in the letter, which was distributed to
reporters.

"There are many things that Australia can learn from the United States," he wrote. "How to
manage firearm ownership is not one of them."

Australia adopted the gun laws after an April 1996 rampage by Martin Bryant, who opened
fire with military-style rifles at the Port Arthur historic site in the state of Tasmania.
Bryant, who killed 35 people and injured 19, is serving a life sentence.

More than 640,000 firearms were removed from the Australian community under a buyback
program. The NRA video shows footage of guns being sawed to pieces, and thousands of
destroyed guns piled on scrap heaps.

South Australia's Attorney General Trevor Griffin -- who is seen in the video talking
about crime -- said he was not interviewed by the NRA and a quote from him was taken from
a previous interview and used out of context.

The video claims that after the gun laws took effect, armed robbery in Australia went up
69 percent, assaults involving guns rose 28 percent, gun murders increased 19 percent and
home invasions rose 21 percent. It does not give a source for the data.

Dr. Adam Graycar, director of the Australian Institute of Criminology, said the statistics
were misleading.

He said the latest annual crime figures, for 1998, showed that assaults had increased but
that most attacks did not involve guns. He said homicides decreased and were only rarely
committed with guns.

Because there were so many other factors involved, such as population change, it was
"enormously difficult" to draw conclusions about what effect the gun laws have had on the
level of crime, Graycar said.

"It is a very long bow to draw," to claim the ban led to an increase in crime, he told
Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

"What we've got here is an American group with a heavy gun culture -- guns figure very
significantly in crime in the United States -- trying to transpose that into Australia.
There is no comparison," Graycar said.

Copyright 2000 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

--
=======================================
Free Directory Assistance - NumberFinder.com

Ric Trask

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

- Prof. Jonez© <jo...@norcom.to> wrote in message

> Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
>
> March 23, 2000
> Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
>
> SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the
U.S. National Rifle
> Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's
gun reform laws
> had backfired.
SNIP>

> The video claims that after the gun laws took effect, armed robbery in
Australia went up
> 69 percent, assaults involving guns rose 28 percent, gun murders increased
19 percent and
> home invasions rose 21 percent. It does not give a source for the data.
>
> Dr. Adam Graycar, director of the Australian Institute of Criminology,
said the statistics
> were misleading.

If they are misleading then please cite the statistics side by side.

> He said the latest annual crime figures, for 1998, showed that assaults
had increased but
> that most attacks did not involve guns. He said homicides decreased and
were only rarely
> committed with guns.

If most attacks do not involve guns then please cite the numbers.

SNIP

> Copyright 2000 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

AP..... Go figure. If they are going to debunk the numbers put forth by
the NRA then shouldn't they put the numbers on the line and not put vague
statements like "most attacks did not involve guns." Lets us see the
numbers for ourselves. Untill then I will trust the NRA's numbers.

Ric

--
I see your $.02 and raise you $.02

www.outdooradventures-usa.com

Panhead

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
"- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:

> Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
>
> March 23, 2000
> Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
>
> SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the U.S. National Rifle
> Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's gun reform laws
> had backfired.

If they are all that pissed, let the Aussies try to shoot it out
with us.

The-Trainers

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
The OZ A.G. is LYING by mis-direction.

He claims the NRA lied, but then he does NOT say one word that relates
to what the NRA actually said.

He KNOWS that his own government stats PROVE the NRA was telling the
TRUTH, so since he cannot actually attack the facts the NRA stated,
he spews a bunch of unrelated figures and hopes no Aussie will be
smart enough to notice.

It appears he was right, about how easily fooled the Aussies are, that is.

MT

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, - Prof. Jonez© wrote:

> [...]

> were misleading.
>

> He said the latest annual crime figures, for 1998, showed that assaults had increased but
> that most attacks did not involve guns. He said homicides decreased and were only rarely
> committed with guns.
>

> Because there were so many other factors involved, such as population change, it was
> "enormously difficult" to draw conclusions about what effect the gun laws have had on the
> level of crime, Graycar said.
>
> "It is a very long bow to draw," to claim the ban led to an increase in crime, he told
> Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.
>
> "What we've got here is an American group with a heavy gun culture -- guns figure very
> significantly in crime in the United States -- trying to transpose that into Australia.
> There is no comparison," Graycar said.
>

> Copyright 2000 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Glenworthy@xteleport.com Henry Glenworthy

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

Ferg wrote in message ...

>er, you got your backsides tanned by little men in black
>pyjamas not so long ago, remember? We, on the other hand,
>haven't ever had that kind of trouble.

YOU forget that Aussie dumbfucks were in Vietnam too.

Lee Harrison

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
in article bAAC4.800$jb5.5...@news0.optus.net.au, Ferg at
fergu...@yahoo.com wrote on 3/23/00 8:40 PM:

>> If they are misleading then please cite the statistics
>> side by side.
>

> Have a look for yourself, freak, try the Australian Bureau
> of Statistics & the AIC (mentioned above).
>
> Since the new gun laws, homicide fell by 10%, suicide fell,
> firearms accidents fell, the percentage of armed robberies
> involving firearms fell.
>
> And where they got "armed robbery increased by 69%" is a
> total mystery, considering the trend of annual rise in armed
> robbery actually fell in the year succeeding the
> introduction of the gun laws, with armed robbery up by only
> 22%, as opposed to the 2 years preceeding the gun laws when
> it had increased by a cumulative 70%-odd.
>
> I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
> diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
> bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"

Actually, these NRA gunloons are only about 7% of all American gun owners,
and maybe 2% of all Americans.

Most gun owners are responsible, loyal American citizens, and know that the
Second Amendment doesn't provide any right to have a gun unless their
possession or use of that gun has some reasonable relationship to the
preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.

> But then again, this is the NRA, we don't really expect them
> to give us real facts, do we?

Unfortunately, no.

Famous Last Words Of Gunloons - Glock

Last week, Smith & Wesson, the nationÄ…s largest gun manufacturer, agreed to
make its handguns more childproof by installing safety locks and developing
Å‚smart gunË› technology. Smith & Wesson also agreed to the same oversight
commission that Glock opposes.

Smith & Wesson accepted the restrictions in exchange for some protection
against lawsuits. At least 15 of 29 cities and counties that had sued the
gun industry have agreed to drop Smith & Wesson from their lawsuits.

Any changes at Glock, however, will not be made with an eye toward avoiding
lawsuits, Jannuzzo said.

NobodyÄ…s going to drop any of these lawsuits unless we sign on to the
commission," Jannuzzo said. "And we will never do that."

ABC News - March 22, 2000

The Lone Weasel

Not-So-Secret-Hideout
http://leeharrison.simplenet.com/weasel/index.html

My Weasel Board
http://leeharrison.simplenet.com/weasel/bboard.mv

Hall of Fantasy
http://leeharrison.simplenet.com/weasel/hall/

Richard G Cheek

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

Henry Glenworthy <Henry Glenw...@xteleport.com> wrote in message

> Ferg wrote in message ...
>
> >er, you got your backsides tanned by little men in black
> >pyjamas not so long ago, remember? We, on the other hand,
> >haven't ever had that kind of trouble.
>

> YOU forget that Aussie dumbfucks were in Vietnam too.

Dammit, Dave, "Aussie dumbfucks" is a VERY redundant phrase. Lets save those
electrons now.

RGlenCheek

Richard G Cheek

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

Olly <watk...@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
> there are lies, damn lies, then there's the NRA

If that were true, then the NRA would be a natural Democratic party
affiliate. The fact is, however, that of the parties involved it is only
CLINTON that is a known and confirmed PERJURER, dickhead.

RGlenCheek

brian

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Panhead wrote:

> "- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:
> >
> > Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
> >
> > March 23, 2000
> > Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
> >
> > SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the U.S. National Rifle
> > Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's gun reform laws
> > had backfired.
>

> If they are all that pissed, let the Aussies try to shoot it out
> with us.

Why would we, if we were drunk?

Do not assume that the whole world speaks/reads American English, twonk.

Anyway, your response is that of a typical gun nut - shoot first, ask questions later.

Time to grow up and stop telling your fellow citizens lies about guns.

stereotype

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:39:51 -0600, "- Prof. Jonez©" <jo...@norcom.to> wrote:

>Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
>
> March 23, 2000
>Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
>
>SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the U.S. National Rifle
>Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's gun reform laws
>had backfired.
>

>The video, presented as a television news story, claims that crimes involving guns have
>increased in Australia since the laws, which ban all semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic
>shotguns and pump action shotguns, were introduced.
>
>Federal Attorney General Daryl Williams said the NRA was using inaccurate statistics and
>urged the group to remove "any reference to Australia" from its Web site.

What about the statistics on Legal Aid Daryl? How many people can't get proper
representation in court because your government cut the LA budget by 40%. Let's
talk about justice Daryl.

>"I find it quite offensive that the NRA is using the very successful gun reform laws
>introduced in 1996 as the basis for promoting ownership of firearms in the United States,"
>he said.
>
>Williams sent a letter today to NRA president Charlton Heston, asking for the immediate
>withdrawal of misleading information.

On yer Daryl. Fire a few at an easy target. Might win you a few votes.

>Australia's gun-related homicide rate was 0.28 per 100,000 people in 1998 compared to 4
>per 100,000 in the United States, Williams wrote in the letter, which was distributed to
>reporters.
>
>"There are many things that Australia can learn from the United States," he wrote. "How to
>manage firearm ownership is not one of them."

But we're trying aren't we Daryl. Can't afford a lawyer, well, that's just too
bad. Did we learn that from the USA?

snip.

Ferg

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Panhead <panmy...@intac.com> wrote in message

> "- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:
> >
> > Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
> >
> > March 23, 2000
> > Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
> >
> > SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded
today that the U.S. National Rifle
> > Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming
that the nation's gun reform laws
> > had backfired.
>

> If they are all that pissed, let the Aussies try to shoot
it out
> with us.

er, you got your backsides tanned by little men in black

Ferg

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Ric Trask <nospa...@htc.net> wrote in message

> - Prof. JonezÅ  <jo...@norcom.to> wrote in message

> > Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
> >
> > March 23, 2000
> > Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
> >
> > SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded
today that the
> U.S. National Rifle
> > Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming
that the nation's
> gun reform laws
> > had backfired.
> SNIP>

> > The video claims that after the gun laws took effect,
armed robbery in
> Australia went up
> > 69 percent, assaults involving guns rose 28 percent, gun
murders increased
> 19 percent and
> > home invasions rose 21 percent. It does not give a
source for the data.

> > Dr. Adam Graycar, director of the Australian Institute
of Criminology,
> said the statistics
> > were misleading.
> >

> If they are misleading then please cite the statistics
side by side.

Have a look for yourself, freak, try the Australian Bureau
of Statistics & the AIC (mentioned above).

Since the new gun laws, homicide fell by 10%, suicide fell,
firearms accidents fell, the percentage of armed robberies
involving firearms fell.

And where they got "armed robbery increased by 69%" is a
total mystery, considering the trend of annual rise in armed
robbery actually fell in the year succeeding the
introduction of the gun laws, with armed robbery up by only
22%, as opposed to the 2 years preceeding the gun laws when
it had increased by a cumulative 70%-odd.

I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"

Ferg

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

The-Trainers <trai...@best.com> wrote in message
.com...

> The OZ A.G. is LYING by mis-direction.

liar.

> He claims the NRA lied, but then he does NOT say one word
that relates
> to what the NRA actually said.

liar.

> He KNOWS that his own government stats PROVE the NRA was
telling the

liar.

> TRUTH, so since he cannot actually attack the facts the
NRA stated,

liar.

> he spews a bunch of unrelated figures and hopes no Aussie
will be

liar.

> smart enough to notice.

liar.

> It appears he was right, about how easily fooled the
Aussies are, that is.

liar.

Dave Proctor

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Henry Glenworthy > wrote in message ...

>Ferg wrote in message ...
>
>>er, you got your backsides tanned by little men in black
>>pyjamas not so long ago, remember? We, on the other hand,
>>haven't ever had that kind of trouble.
>
>YOU forget that Aussie dumbfucks were in Vietnam too.

YOU forget that we had the good sense to puu out in 1972 when it became
apparent that the war (oops, police action) was not going to be won.

Dave

Olly

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Steve Hix

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <QQAC4.805$jb5.5...@news0.optus.net.au>, "Dave Proctor"
<dap...@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

The U.S. didn't hang in for much longer, did it?

"Duane" K/ Kelly

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
"- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:

> Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
>
> March 23, 2000
> Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
>
> SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the U.S. National Rifle
> Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's gun reform laws
> had backfired.

Yep, I would admit... gun control has backfired and it would appear that
the leaders in Australia are more worried about saving face, than
addresses the issue...

Media Release: Australian Bureau of Statistics - Recorded Crime in
Australia 1997
Release Date: July 15th, 1998

The upward trend in property crime presently occurring in NSW appears to
be part of an Australia-wide trend, according to figures released today
by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

The ABS figures show trends in crime recorded by police in every
Australian State and Territory over the period 1996-1997.

Police in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and
Western Australia all recorded an increase in the rate of armed robbery.

The largest increase (+ 63%) occurred in New South Wales. However the
increases in some other States were also quite substantial.

Victoria recorded an increase in the rate of armed robbery of 38%,
Queensland recorded an increase of 34%, South Australia recorded an
increase of 10% and Western Australia recorded an increase of 7%.
New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia also recorded increases
in unarmed robbery (+29%, +19% and +40%, respectively).

Other States have also experienced the increase in break and enter and
vehicle theft announced earlier this year in New South Wales.

Recorded rates of break and enter rose by 8% in NSW and 4% in Victoria.
Recorded rates of motor vehicle theft rose by 11% in NSW, 6% in Western
Australia and 5% in Victoria.

Commenting on these figures, the Director of the NSW Bureau of Crime
Statistics and Research, Dr Don Weatherburn, said that they suggested
that the underlying causes of the upward trend in property crime in New
South Wales were probably national rather than State-based.

"They also highlight the need for a nationally coordinated approach to
the development of strategies for reducing the level of property crime."

"Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of
Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the
governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

[James Madison - The Influence of the State and Federal Governments
Compared From the New York Packet. Tuesday, January 29, 1788]

A government that cannot trust its citizens, is a government its
citizens cannot trust.

Simon Slade

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Henry Glenworthy wrote:

> YOU forget that Aussie dumbfucks were in Vietnam too.

To our eternal shame!

solicitors.vcf

Dan Day

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:40:07 GMT, "Ferg" <fergu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
>diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
>bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"

My, you're certainly an obnoxious little twit, aren't you?

>But then again, this is the NRA, we don't really expect them
>to give us real facts, do we?

Yes, actually, we do, and they've got a spectacularly good
track record.

Which is more than I can say for how often I've caught the
anti-gun factions lying through their teeth. And ironically,
often those lies are about the NRA's track record.

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Simon Slade <solic...@camattalempens.com.au> wrote in
message news:38DB003B...@camattalempens.com.au...
> Henry Glenworthy wrote:

>> YOU forget that Aussie dumbfucks were in Vietnam too.

> To our eternal shame!

Eternal eh ? Bet its forgotten in a millennium or two.

Benjamin

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
> It appears he was right, about how easily fooled the Aussies are, that is.

You're so fucking right, MT.

Aussies are a bunch of sheep who constantly applause the government for
controlling things.

Look at my other post regarding Sandgroper as a FUKKWIT.

Australia interpolates into Southern Chinese States. FUCKING YUCK!!!

Kimbo

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Sort of an inane comment since your here...........and the land of the great
Septic is over there.

If you are so anti-OZ all there is to say is .....see y'all later

Trevor Calder

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Granted the gift of wisdom - Prof. Jonez© tried to impress us by writing the
following:

>Dr. Adam Graycar, director of the Australian Institute of Criminology,
> said the statistics
>were misleading.

>Because there were so many other factors involved, such as population

>change, it was
>"enormously difficult" to draw conclusions about what effect the gun
>laws have had on the
>level of crime, Graycar said.

>"It is a very long bow to draw," to claim the ban led to an increase
>in crime, he told
>Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

The other side of this, of course, is that it is drawing an equally
long bow to claim that the ban led to a decrease in crime of any type.

You'd think that the director of the Australian Institute of Criminology
would realise that, wouldn't you?

--
Trevor Calder
"..it is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a

Seppo Renfors

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Dan Day wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:40:07 GMT, "Ferg" <fergu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
> >diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
> >bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"
>
> My, you're certainly an obnoxious little twit, aren't you?
>
> >But then again, this is the NRA, we don't really expect them
> >to give us real facts, do we?
>
> Yes, actually, we do, and they've got a spectacularly good
> track record.

So WHY are you guys lying your arses off for then? I would bet my
balls that the "track record" is as much of a LIE as your video about
Australia! Once a con artist, always a con artist = NRA!

> Which is more than I can say for how often I've caught the
> anti-gun factions lying through their teeth. And ironically,
> often those lies are about the NRA's track record.

BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHaaaaaaa......

WHAT DID I SAY, the track record STINKS (my balls are safe :-)!! A mob
of shysters and con artists!! That is the NRA (Nutty Rabid Americans)!
--

SIR -Philosopher Unauthorised
" Don't resent getting old. A great many are denied that privilege "

David Lentz

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Lee Harrison wrote:

<snip>

> Most gun owners are responsible, loyal American citizens, and know that the
> Second Amendment doesn't provide any right to have a gun unless their
> possession or use of that gun has some reasonable relationship to the
> preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.

Citizen who understand the Constitution know the Constitution
does not establish, provide for, any rights what so ever. The
Constitution protects rights.

Further, students of the Constiution realize that the Second
Amendment is redundant, as the Constitution provides no authority
to Congress to control private ownership of weapons by
individuals.

David

Julie Cochrane

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <aDsC4.420$N47....@news.uswest.net>,

"- Prof. JonezÅ " <jo...@norcom.to> wrote:
> Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
>
> March 23, 2000
> Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
>
> SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the
U.S. National Rifle
> Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the
nation's gun reform laws
> had backfired.

<snip>

> Dr. Adam Graycar, director of the Australian Institute of Criminology,
said the statistics
> were misleading.
>

> He said the latest annual crime figures, for 1998, showed that
assaults had increased but
> that most attacks did not involve guns. He said homicides decreased
and were only rarely
> committed with guns.

<snip>

"Most attacks did not involve guns"

That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
guns.

A rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath of restrictive
new gun laws is a significant component of what would be expected
if removing the guns from their honest owners removed a deterrent
effect upon the criminal population that those guns were having.

Victims don't get to choose who attacks them, and are usually
attacked by people bigger and stronger than they are.

Criminals DO get to choose who they attack, and NATURALLY attack
people they perceive to be weaker than themselves.

Criminals don't need guns to carry out their criminality as much
as victims need guns to defend themselves from criminal attack.

By making the invalid argument that an increase in non-gun assaults
could not indicate a negative consequence of their law, it is
Dr. Graycar who is using statistics in a misleading fashion.

It is, of course, POSSIBLE that Dr. Graycar is unaware of the
arguments proposing a mechanism for a link between gun confiscation
and increases in non-gun assaults, but VERY, VERY UNLIKELY.

Regardless, to say what he did would amount to EITHER blatant
intellectual dishonesty OR a lack of insight into evaluating
statistical data for social science purposes that amounts to
flaming incompetence OR he did acknowledge the possible relationship
between confiscation and an increase in non-gun assaults and
the statements quoted here have been taken terribly out of context
and misrepresented by the reporter. Take your pick.

If the Australian government side doesn't have any better arguments
than this (ie-- -"assaults are way up, but we don't want to count
big thugs beating up little old ladies now that they have a government
guarantee the little old ladies are disarmed"-), then apparently
they're wrong and NRA is right.

Julie

--
Money isn't Speech? When you spend it to rent a
printing press, and the restrictions on what you

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Julie Cochrane

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <QQAC4.805$jb5.5...@news0.optus.net.au>,
"Dave Proctor" <dap...@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Henry Glenworthy > wrote in message ...
> >
> >Ferg wrote in message ...
> >
> >>er, you got your backsides tanned by little men in black
> >>pyjamas not so long ago, remember? We, on the other hand,
> >>haven't ever had that kind of trouble.
> >
> >YOU forget that Aussie dumbfucks were in Vietnam too.
>
> YOU forget that we had the good sense to puu out in 1972 when it
became
> apparent that the war (oops, police action) was not going to be won.

Oh, right, a big one year difference in leaving---since we left
in 1973.

> Dave

rain...@hogtrader.com

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <8bg8ge$486$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Julie Cochrane <julie_c...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <aDsC4.420$N47....@news.uswest.net>,

> "Most attacks did not involve guns"
>
> That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
> year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
> that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
> confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
> emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
> they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
> guns.
>
> I hated to snip this excellent post
>
> Julie

I cannot add to your post, you are exactly right.

Bert Hyman

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au (Sandgroper) wrote in
<38dbc390$0$21...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>:

>Aust has had a very large increase in drug activity and hence , an
>explosion of drug addicts.
>This has had the result of increased incidents of home invasions ,
>bag snatching , car thefts and muggings ...etc , it is a direct
>result of the drug addicts needing extra cash to support their habit
>, it has NOTHING to do with any so called "restrictive gun laws".
>That is the fact that you yanks do not realise , Aust people NEVER
>carry guns in public , Aust people only use guns for the purpose of
>carrying out their profession ( farmer, ringer , fisherman ..etc ) or
>because they belong to a gun club.

So, you believe that as your drug problem grows and drug trafficking
becomes more lucrative, your criminals will refrain from carrying and
using guns? If not on "civilians", then at least on each other?

American criminals didn't really start using firearms in earnest until
our government banned the sale of alcohol, thereby establishing
organized crime. The current "war on (some) drugs" serves to keep
organized crime in business.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | be...@visi.com

Glenworthy@xteleport.com Henry Glenworthy

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Sandgroper wrote in message <38dbc390$0$21...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>...
>Julie Cochrane wrote in message <8bg8ge$486$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>>In article <aDsC4.420$N47....@news.uswest.net>,

>>That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
>>year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
>>that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
>>confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
>>emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
>>they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
>>guns.

>>A rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath of restrictive

>>new gun laws is a significant component of what would be expected
>>if removing the guns from their honest owners removed a deterrent
>>effect upon the criminal population that those guns were having.

>Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong ,wrong !!!!!!!

>You do not know anything about Aust culture

[Aussie drivel deleted]

Australian "culture"? Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Dave

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Sandgroper <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au> wrote in message

> Julie Cochrane wrote in message <8bg8ge$486$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >In article <aDsC4.420$N47....@news.uswest.net>,
> >
> >That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
> >year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
> >that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
> >confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
> >emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
> >they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
> >guns.
> >
> >A rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath of restrictive
> >new gun laws is a significant component of what would be expected
> >if removing the guns from their honest owners removed a deterrent
> >effect upon the criminal population that those guns were having.
> >

> Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong ,wrong !!!!!!!
>
> You do not know anything about Aust culture or what has been happening in
> Aust recent years.

> Aust has had a very large increase in drug activity and hence , an
explosion
> of drug addicts.
> This has had the result of increased incidents of home invasions , bag
> snatching , car thefts and muggings ...etc , it is a direct result of the
> drug addicts needing extra cash to support their habit , it has NOTHING
> do with any so called "restrictive gun laws".

Are you saying, perhaps, just perhaps, that "correlation doesn't necessarily
imply causation?" Hmmm. Yet you will spout on about the US crime rates
versus Oz's. Goose. Gander. Sauce.

Dave

Julie Cochrane

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <38dbc3fb$0$21...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>,

<8bg9e6$5bc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >In article <8bg8ge$486$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

> >I cannot add to your post, you are exactly right.
>
> ...........For USA society and culture , NOT for Aust society and
culture.

Oh garbage. The scientific method, mathematics, and logic are
true, independent of culture.

My post---go back and read it, if you didn't, dealt with
purely questions of logic. Dr. Whatshisname's comment about
non-gun assaults was a Straw Man* argument, because the pro-gun
contention is NOT that confiscation necessarily causes crimes
committed WITH GUNS to go up, BUT INSTEAD that confiscation
causes criminal acts against people IN GENERAL to go up by
giving the criminal a government guarantee that his victim
is disarmed.

The pro-gun contention may or may not be accurate in Australia,
but the fact remains that Dr. Whatshisname did NOT successfully
refute the pro-gun contention because he DID NOT ADDRESS IT.
Instead, he addressed his own strawman. By the rules of logic,
demolishing your own strawman says nothing about your opponent's
actual argument.

Logic is logic is logic. If an argument is logically flawed,
it is logically flawed REGARDLESS of where on the globe the
the argument happens to be made, and REGARDLESS of which people
happen to be milling about, and REGARDLESS of those people's
social behaviors.

Social science results vary across different cultures and
societies. The rules of science, mathematics, and logic
that underly social science methodologies are consistent
across all societies and all cultures.

If you screw up in your application of the laws of science
and mathematics and logic in building a bridge, your bridge
falls down.

If you screw up in your application of the rules of logic
in building an argument, your argument falls down.

That's true no matter WHAT side of the world you're on.

Julie

*Straw Man Argument: One of the major logical fallacies, in
which someone fabricates an argument (the "straw man") that
may resemble his opponent's argument, but is weaker and easier
to refute than his opponent's actual argument, then refutes
the "straw man" argument he fabricated, and claims to have
refuted his opponent's argument.

--
Money isn't Speech? When you spend it to rent a
printing press, and the restrictions on what you
spend are based on the nature of what you choose
to print, money BECOMES speech.

Julie Cochrane

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <38dbc390$0$21...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>,
> The amount of high grade imported drugs seized in the first 3 months
of this
> year (2000) alone , is more than double to what was seized in the
whole of
> 1996 before the new gun laws came into effect.
>
> Most of these crimes have been perpetrated without using guns ,
because they
> are drug addicts out for a quick dollar , and NOT because they know
that the
> people are not carrying guns .
> In Aust society , NOBODY CARRIES GUNS OF ANY KIND WHILE OUT IN PUBLIC
,NEVER
> HAVE AND NEVER WILL ( except for the coppers ) .

> That is the fact that you yanks do not realise , Aust people NEVER
carry
> guns in public , Aust people only use guns for the purpose of carrying
out
> their profession ( farmer, ringer , fisherman ..etc ) or because they
belong
> to a gun club.
>
> Learn about Aust and Aust culture before you start giving out
scenarios
> based on USA standards and culture.

Oh, GARBAGE!!!

It's not a matter of CULTURE it's a matter of LOGIC.

If you erect a straw-man argument and then refute it, you have
NOT refuted your opponent's argument, no matter WHERE in the
world you live nor what your "society" is nor what your "culture"
is.

Again, you run into the issue that the criminals know fewer
honest people have guns, and therefore the criminals know there
is less chance of their victim being armed.

Some assaults may occur in your house, or on your land around
your house, or on your farm---the criminal now knows such potential
victims are unarmed.

The issue is NOT any specific example, the issue is that the
general pro-gun contention is NOT that confiscation causes
crimes committed WITH GUNS to rise, but that confiscation causes
crimes committed AGAINST PEOPLE to rise, and the issue of LOGIC
is that Dr. Whatshisname did NOT address that contention, but
ONLY the subset of crimes committed WITH GUNS---WHICH WAS HIS
OWN STRAW MAN.

Logic.

Logic. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. Culture.

He tilted at his own Straw Man instead of addressing his opponent's
real argument, therefore he proved nothing.

The NRA commercial MAY well have factual errors, but Dr. G-something's
comments don't demonstrate any specific ones.

I'm a great fan of letting people go to hell in their own way,
and I have no intention of trying to tell you Australians how
to live in your own country.

HOWEVER, when an organization in our country is basically called
liars by someone using flawed logic, I'm going to point that error
in logic out.

Live how you like, but we're still going to feel free to comment
on it (as your people quite freely comment on us). Where the
statistics are inaccurate or taken out of context, by all means
let's get to accurate numbers and the various accurate contexts
for those numbers. Just do it with sound logic, accurate math,
and sound science.

Julie

The-Trainers

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Benjamin wrote:

> > It appears he was right, about how easily fooled the Aussies are, that is.

> You're so fucking right, MT.

I usually am.

> Aussies are a bunch of sheep who constantly applause the government for
> controlling things.

Well, not 100% clearly there are some Aussies with a clue.

> Look at my other post regarding Sandgroper as a FUKKWIT.

I'll look for it.

> Australia interpolates into Southern Chinese States. FUCKING YUCK!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by that, could you elaborate?

MT

The-Trainers

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Kimbo wrote:
> If you are so anti-OZ all there is to say is .....see y'all later

I am not "anti-OZ", I am pro-gun-rights, I am pro-thinking-for-yourself,
I am pro-learning-the-facts.

Far too many Aussies and Americans and Europeans and ....humans
simply choose not to dig below the surface white-wash paint-layer
to see the rotten wood underneath to learn the truth.

They would prefer to live on blind faith rather than be self-reliant
and prepared.

MT

Message has been deleted

Carman

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Sandgroper wrote in message <38dc2920$0$33...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>...

>Bert Hyman wrote in message <8F018554Cb...@192.61.219.6>...

>>So, you believe that as your drug problem grows and drug trafficking
>>becomes more lucrative, your criminals will refrain from carrying and
>>using guns? If not on "civilians", then at least on each other?
>>

>Aust gun laws past and present , make it very hard for the average person
>pocess a gun and hence there is not an over supply of guns in circulation
in
>Aust., like it is in the USA.
>When Aust criminals arm themselves , it is more likely they would use other
>means like knives , swords ....etc.
>In short , having a very restrictive set of gun laws makes it even harder
>for criminals to obtain , carry and use guns.

>>American criminals didn't really start using firearms in earnest until
>>our government banned the sale of alcohol, thereby establishing
>>organized crime. The current "war on (some) drugs" serves to keep
>>organized crime in business.
>
>Your gun laws has never changed since the old wild west days and guns were
>very accessable , so it was very easy for crimminals to arm themselves when
>they became organised .
>
>Sandgroper

Sir: If you intend to talk about the history of firearms in the US, then
please acquaint yourself with that history before you post. The laws have
been changing almost constantly since they were first introduced. I
recommend the work of Clayton Cramer Ph.D., on the subject.

Jim Patrick

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 , "Sandgroper" <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong ,wrong !!!!!!!
>
>You do not know anything about Aust culture or what has been happening in
>Aust recent years.
>Aust has had a very large increase in drug activity and hence , an explosion
>of drug addicts.

It still proves that guncontrol has no effect on reducing crime.

Jim Patrick

"A right delayed is a right denied" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Panhead

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Sandgroper wrote:

> Benjamin wrote in message <38db3f42$0$18...@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

> >> It appears he was right, about how easily fooled the Aussies are, that
> is.
> >
> >You're so fucking right, MT.
> >
> >Aussies are a bunch of sheep who constantly applause the government for
> >controlling things.
> >

> You are just pissed off because the the Aust Gov will not let a whacko like
> you import banned reptiles into Aust.... Ie Corn snakes.

And just what IS "the majorities" problem with these harmless
pets?
Those snakes are a hell of a lot cuter than the females you ever
dated.

Richard G Cheek

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Sandgroper <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au> wrote in message

< Aussie submissive wuss BS deleted >

Your nothing but a nation of former criminals, and now you're just a bunch
of idiots. You have given up the very idea of natural rights so that Nanny
state can take care of your lazy asses from cradle to grave. Your whole
country is little more than a bunch of loafing thieves and cowards.

Who gives a flying fuck what you try to think?

Richard G Cheek

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

MC <comr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What on earth makes you think that you have the information to determine
who is lying

Its easy, really. Like any other LEftist crew of criminals, they are lying
whenever their lips move.

> Johnny Lee Pettimore wrote:

> > "- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:
> >
> > > Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
> > >
> > > March 23, 2000
> > > Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
> > >
> > > SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the
U.S. National Rifle
> > > Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the
nation's gun reform laws
> > > had backfired.
> > > <snip>
> >

> > Aus is lying, they're all a bunch of disarmed liberal lefties now and
have to lie like the
> > Clintons.
> >
> > Johnny Lee Pettimore,
> > Same as my daddy and his daddy before

Richard G Cheek

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

> Dave wrote in message ...

> >Are you saying, perhaps, just perhaps, that "correlation doesn't
> necessarily
> >imply causation?" Hmmm. Yet you will spout on about the US crime rates
> >versus Oz's. Goose. Gander. Sauce.
> >

> Yeah , at least Aust doesn't has 15 year old school kids blowing away half
> the kids in their high school.

They wouldnt have the brains to pull it off anyway, so what?

Richard G Cheek

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Carman <jo...@istar.ca> wrote in message

> Sandgroper wrote in message <38dc2920$0$33...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>...
> >Your gun laws has never changed since the old wild west days and guns
were
> >very accessable , so it was very easy for crimminals to arm themselves
when
> >they became organised .

You thus totally prove that you are an idiot and an ignoramus. In the
Western frontier areas, people could openly carry guns on their hip.

Seppo Renfors

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

\"Duane\" K/ Kelly wrote:

> "- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:
> >
> > Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
> >
> > March 23, 2000
> > Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
> >
> > SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the U.S. National Rifle
> > Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's gun reform laws
> > had backfired.
>

> Yep, I would admit... gun control has backfired and it would appear that
> the leaders in Australia are more worried about saving face, than
> addresses the issue...

Oh, a LOCAL gun-nut!!

> Media Release: Australian Bureau of Statistics - Recorded Crime in
> Australia 1997
> Release Date: July 15th, 1998

OLD STATISTICS I see!!

> The upward trend in property crime presently occurring in NSW appears to
> be part of an Australia-wide trend, according to figures released today
> by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
>
> The ABS figures show trends in crime recorded by police in every
> Australian State and Territory over the period 1996-1997.

Aren't these BEFORE and DURING the gun buy-back? This is about as
"Honest" as the NRA stuff by the look of it!

> Police in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and
> Western Australia all recorded an increase in the rate of armed robbery.
>
> The largest increase (+ 63%) occurred in New South Wales. However the
> increases in some other States were also quite substantial.

Still makes the NRA Liars as they said 69%, even if the HIGHEST figure
available that are NOT CURRENT FIGURES. If the National figure was
used then it would be vastly lower at 22.8%....

BTW, don't you think Tasmania is part of Australia anymore. What about
NT and the ACT? Don't they count either? Perhaps the figures weren't
"suitable" for you?

> Victoria recorded an increase in the rate of armed robbery of 38%,

...armed with what? A baseball bat? Knife? Perhaps it was the popular
syringe? How many were GUNS? No it doesn't assist the gun-nut cause,
does it.

> Queensland recorded an increase of 34%,

> South Australia recorded an
> increase of 10%

...and the NRA highlighted ADELAIDE (in SA for the noongs OS) and
claimed 69%. Falsified the opinion of the elderly lady. They took the
Attorney Generals words out of context from some archive clip, they
hadn't even interviewed him!

Now, tell us all how many SCHOOL YARD massacres are there here due to
GUNS? ZERO that's how many! How often do they happen compared to the
US? It happens on about a WEEKLY basis in the US. How many other
massacres have we had? Three from memory over.. what 2 or 3 decades?
Another pretty well WEEKLY affair over there (two in two days this
week alone). Where would you rather bring your kids up. The US or AUS?

> and Western Australia recorded an increase of 7%.
> New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia also recorded increases
> in unarmed robbery (+29%, +19% and +40%, respectively).
>
> Other States have also experienced the increase in break and enter and
> vehicle theft announced earlier this year in New South Wales.
>
> Recorded rates of break and enter rose by 8% in NSW and 4% in Victoria.
> Recorded rates of motor vehicle theft rose by 11% in NSW, 6% in Western
> Australia and 5% in Victoria.
>
> Commenting on these figures, the Director of the NSW Bureau of Crime
> Statistics and Research, Dr Don Weatherburn, said that they suggested
> that the underlying causes of the upward trend in property crime in New
> South Wales were probably national rather than State-based.

Oh is that so. I hope you don't mind if people don't believe you for
ONE SECOND, considering that data you yourself have published.

> "They also highlight the need for a nationally coordinated approach to
> the development of strategies for reducing the level of property crime."

No kidding! Would you expect anyone to say anything different. hmmm?

[snip government conspiracy theories]

Sandgroper

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Benjamin wrote in message <38db3f42$0$18...@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
>> It appears he was right, about how easily fooled the Aussies are, that
is.

>You're so fucking right, MT.
>
>Aussies are a bunch of sheep who constantly applause the government for
>controlling things.

You are just pissed off because the the Aust Gov will not let a whacko like
you import banned reptiles into Aust.... Ie Corn snakes.

If you hate Aust that much , then why don't you piss off the US , or
perhaps you are too scared to go because you won't be able to get to dole
there , like you do here in Aust.

Sandgroper

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Julie Cochrane wrote in message <8bg8ge$486$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <aDsC4.420$N47....@news.uswest.net>,
>
>That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
>year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
>that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
>confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
>emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
>they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
>guns.
>
>A rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath of restrictive
>new gun laws is a significant component of what would be expected
>if removing the guns from their honest owners removed a deterrent
>effect upon the criminal population that those guns were having.

Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong ,wrong !!!!!!!

You do not know anything about Aust culture or what has been happening in
Aust recent years.
Aust has had a very large increase in drug activity and hence , an explosion
of drug addicts.

This has had the result of increased incidents of home invasions , bag
snatching , car thefts and muggings ...etc , it is a direct result of the
drug addicts needing extra cash to support their habit , it has NOTHING to
do with any so called "restrictive gun laws".

The amount of high grade imported drugs seized in the first 3 months of this
year (2000) alone , is more than double to what was seized in the whole of
1996 before the new gun laws came into effect.

Most of these crimes have been perpetrated without using guns , because they
are drug addicts out for a quick dollar , and NOT because they know that the
people are not carrying guns .
In Aust society , NOBODY CARRIES GUNS OF ANY KIND WHILE OUT IN PUBLIC ,NEVER
HAVE AND NEVER WILL ( except for the coppers ) .

That is the fact that you yanks do not realise , Aust people NEVER carry
guns in public , Aust people only use guns for the purpose of carrying out
their profession ( farmer, ringer , fisherman ..etc ) or because they belong
to a gun club.

Learn about Aust and Aust culture before you start giving out scenarios
based on USA standards and culture.

Sandgroper

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

rain...@hogtrader.com wrote in message <8bg9e6$5bc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <8bg8ge$486$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>>
>I cannot add to your post, you are exactly right.

...........For USA society and culture , NOT for Aust society and culture.

Benjamin

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
> > Australia interpolates into Southern Chinese States. FUCKING YUCK!!!
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that, could you elaborate?

Australia slowly turns into China. I'm scared!

That's all.

(Sorry for my french, I was a bit off mood last night).

Benjamin.

MC

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Johnny Lee Pettimore wrote:

> "- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:
>
> > Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
> >
> > March 23, 2000
> > Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
> >
> > SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the U.S. National Rifle
> > Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the nation's gun reform laws
> > had backfired.

Sandgroper

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Julie Cochrane wrote in message <8bgvej$ujp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

><snipped the gun loon crap>

>The NRA commercial MAY well have factual errors, but Dr. G-something's
>comments don't demonstrate any specific ones.

The commercial had that many factual errors that it leaked like a sieve , it
also took some people interviews and twisted it out of context , and one
person didn't even know that he was being used in that commercial to promote
NRA propaganda.

>I'm a great fan of letting people go to hell in their own way,
>and I have no intention of trying to tell you Australians how
>to live in your own country.

Good , keep your nose out of Aust and don't tell us how to run our country.

>HOWEVER, when an organization in our country is basically called
>liars by someone using flawed logic, I'm going to point that error
>in logic out.

Your "organization" , the NRA , took Australian Brueau of Statistics figures
and twisted them around to suit their own purposes in than effort to twist
and distort the facts about Aust and Aust way of life.

The Aust Brueau of Statistics is a neutral Gov non political , non
<whatever> organization that just compiles statistics about Aust , it has a
reputation as being a very credible and accurate Gov agency.

The NRA are LIARS and I would believe a very credible ABS over a whacko ,
gun loon organization with their "facts and figures".

>Live how you like, but we're still going to feel free to comment
>on it (as your people quite freely comment on us). Where the
>statistics are inaccurate or taken out of context, by all means
>let's get to accurate numbers and the various accurate contexts
>for those numbers. Just do it with sound logic, accurate math,
>and sound science.

Yeah , the yanks still want to play god to another country.

Your original presumption is that Australians were allowed to carry guns in
public to defend themselves and that since the new Aust gun laws were
introduced, the Aust public were not allowed to carry any guns in public ,
so this has caused an increase in crime rate because your scenario article
it says :

"criminals may have been emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker
people now that they are more confident those physically weaker people don't
have
guns".

Aust people has NEVER been allowed to carry guns in public to defend
themselves for the last 80-100 years.
That is the point that you yanks do not understand about Aust laws and
society.

Sandgroper

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Dave wrote in message ...

>Are you saying, perhaps, just perhaps, that "correlation doesn't
necessarily
>imply causation?" Hmmm. Yet you will spout on about the US crime rates
>versus Oz's. Goose. Gander. Sauce.

Yeah , at least Aust doesn't has 15 year old school kids blowing away half
the kids in their high school.

Panhead

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
The-Trainers wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Benjamin wrote:
>
> > > It appears he was right, about how easily fooled the Aussies are, that is.
>
> > You're so fucking right, MT.
>
> I usually am.

And modest as well I have to assume.

Sandgroper

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Bert Hyman wrote in message <8F018554Cb...@192.61.219.6>...

>So, you believe that as your drug problem grows and drug trafficking
>becomes more lucrative, your criminals will refrain from carrying and
>using guns? If not on "civilians", then at least on each other?

Aust gun laws past and present , make it very hard for the average person to
pocess a gun and hence there is not an over supply of guns in circulation in
Aust., like it is in the USA.
When Aust criminals arm themselves , it is more likely they would use other
means like knives , swords ....etc.
In short , having a very restrictive set of gun laws makes it even harder
for criminals to obtain , carry and use guns.

>American criminals didn't really start using firearms in earnest until
>our government banned the sale of alcohol, thereby establishing
>organized crime. The current "war on (some) drugs" serves to keep
>organized crime in business.

Your gun laws has never changed since the old wild west days and guns were

very accessable , so it was very easy for crimminals to arm themselves when
they became organised .

Sandgroper

Scott Gilbert

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
In article <tBAC4.801$jb5.5...@news0.optus.net.au>,
"Ferg" <fergu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]

> liar.

[snip]

> liar.

Pants on Fire.

--
"The emperor is not at forgiving as I"
Darth Vader

Sandgroper

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Panhead wrote in message <38DBDA64...@intac.com>...

>And just what IS "the majorities" problem with these harmless
>pets?
>Those snakes are a hell of a lot cuter than the females you ever
>dated.

At least I date human FEMALES , looks like you fancy snakes , probably males
one at that.

Aust is a reasonably isolated place that does not have any of the
flora/fauna diseases that other parts of the world have, very strict laws
were introduce to prevent any of these disease from entering and destroying
Aust native fauna and also to prevent any upsets in the native ecological
systems.

Before these laws were introduced , some flora/fauna species was introduced
into Aust with very bad consequences.
Any imported reptiles would greatly upset the local native fauna if the were
to escape and start breeding in the wild , this would have devasting
consequences for Aust small marsupials, insects and a whole range of other
native fauna.

Every plant, animal , animal/plant by products that comes into Aust is
quarantined and checked.

Eiley

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Sandgroper wrote in message <38dc2664$0$33...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>...

>Dave wrote in message ...
>>

>>Are you saying, perhaps, just perhaps, that "correlation doesn't
>necessarily
>>imply causation?" Hmmm. Yet you will spout on about the US crime rates
>>versus Oz's. Goose. Gander. Sauce.
>>

>Yeah , at least Aust doesn't has 15 year old school kids blowing away half
>the kids in their high school.

I think you misspelt "6" and "primary"!

gHoSt

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

"Seppo Renfors" <sren...@notspam.internode.on.net> wrote in message

> Dan Day wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:40:07 GMT, "Ferg" <fergu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
> > >diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
> > >bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"
> >
> > My, you're certainly an obnoxious little twit, aren't you?
> >
> > >But then again, this is the NRA, we don't really expect them
> > >to give us real facts, do we?
> >
> > Yes, actually, we do, and they've got a spectacularly good
> > track record.
>
> So WHY are you guys lying your arses off for then? I would bet my
> balls that the "track record" is as much of a LIE as your video about
> Australia! Once a con artist, always a con artist = NRA!
> >
> > Which is more than I can say for how often I've caught the
> > anti-gun factions lying through their teeth. And ironically,
> > often those lies are about the NRA's track record.
>
> BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHaaaaaaa......
>

> WHAT DID I SAY, the track record STINKS (my balls are safe :-)!! A mob
> of shysters and con artists!! That is the NRA (Nutty Rabid Americans)!

And your words are based on facts found where ?
That's what I thought...just emotional kneejerking again.

Eiley

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Jim Patrick wrote in message <1obods4q9aq2b36co...@4ax.com>...

>On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 , "Sandgroper" <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong ,wrong !!!!!!!
>>
>>You do not know anything about Aust culture or what has been happening in
>>Aust recent years.
>>Aust has had a very large increase in drug activity and hence , an
explosion
>>of drug addicts.
>
>It still proves that guncontrol has no effect on reducing crime.

?? How does one prove such a negative?

Could you tell me, of all the gun related deaths in the USA each year, what
percentage is "intruder killed by homeowner protecting his/her
property/family"? What percentage are escalated domestic arguments? What
percentage are accidents? I bet the first one is so miniscule as to only be
lumped in with "other" and the other two are substantial.

The section of the ad I saw on TV said something along the lines of
"Australians barricade themselves in their homes, afraid to go out after
dark". This is a blatant lie, unless I missed the bit where they said
"agrophobic Australians". I live in what would be considered a lower
socioeconomic suburb and I have never once felt afraid when at home alone or
walking around at night. The thought that someone might pull a gun on me is
so remote as to be laughable.

But this is the NRA, the same organisation who suggested after Littleton
that "teachers should be armed to prevent incidents like this" and went wild
when someone suggested that it might have been a good idea if the gun the
6-year-old picked up had some sort of safety catch on it. Intelligent,
coherent argument indeed!

Cheers,
eiley

=== I doubt, therefore I might be. ===

Kevin Sandford

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
This is not a good idea for two very good reasons-
1)As an old German (ex WW2) workmate used to say,"when the German Army
shoots,the British duck.When the British Army shoot,the Germans duck.When
the US Army shoot,EVERYBODY ducks!!
2)Australia is a pretty big place,marked on lots of maps,etc,but you can
bet the USAAF/Army etc would still shoot at and bomb Austria instead
"Waal,we kinda figured it sounded pretty damn much the same,so we just went
right ahead and bombed it anyways"

Panhead <panmy...@intac.com> wrote in article
<38DA6AE8...@intac.com>...

> "- Prof. JonezÅ " wrote:
> >
> > Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
> >
> > March 23, 2000
> > Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
> >
> > SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the
U.S. National Rifle
> > Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the
nation's gun reform laws
> > had backfired.
>

> If they are all that pissed, let the Aussies try to shoot it out
> with us.

Trevor Calder

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Granted the gift of wisdom Sandgroper tried to impress us by writing the
following:

>In short , having a very restrictive set of gun laws makes it even har
>der
>for criminals to obtain , carry and use guns.

This is, unfortunately, a complete load of bollocks.

--
Trevor Calder
"..it is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a
stone at every dog that barks at you.."

Dan Day

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 05:05:43 GMT, "gHoSt" <de...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> WHAT DID I SAY, the track record STINKS (my balls are safe :-)!! A mob
>> of shysters and con artists!! That is the NRA (Nutty Rabid Americans)!
>
>And your words are based on facts found where ?
>That's what I thought...just emotional kneejerking again.

That's not his *knee* he's jerking...

Clayton E. Cramer

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Carman wrote:

> Sir: If you intend to talk about the history of firearms in the US, then
> please acquaint yourself with that history before you post. The laws have
> been changing almost constantly since they were first introduced. I
> recommend the work of Clayton Cramer Ph.D., on the subject.

Ph.D.? When did that happen? No one ever tells me anything!

I only have an MA in History. Web page at http://www.ggnra.org/cramer.

--
Clayton E. Cramer http://www.ggnra.org/cramer to see excerpts from my
five published books and full text of a number of scholarly and popular

Joe Bridgehouse

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Sandgroper <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au> wrote in message

> Julie Cochrane wrote in message <8bgvej$ujp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >I'm a great fan of letting people go to hell in their own way,
> >and I have no intention of trying to tell you Australians how
> >to live in your own country.
>
> Good , keep your nose out of Aust and don't tell us how to run our
country

> Sandgroper

> ==========
> Remove NOSPAMERS for Email

Does this mean you will practice what you preach?...And keep YOUR nose out
of of UK affairs.....This is UK politics.Guns....Stick to what your best at,
Shearing Sheep, and bribing IOC officials.

--
Joe Bridgehouse
www.joe-bridgehouse.cwc.net

Carman

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Clayton E. Cramer wrote in message <38DCFB27...@callatg.com>...

>Carman wrote:
>
>> Sir: If you intend to talk about the history of firearms in the US,
then
>> please acquaint yourself with that history before you post. The laws have
>> been changing almost constantly since they were first introduced. I
>> recommend the work of Clayton Cramer Ph.D., on the subject.
>
>Ph.D.? When did that happen? No one ever tells me anything!
>
>I only have an MA in History. Web page at http://www.ggnra.org/cramer.

Profound apologies. I was sure I'd seen you mention you'd ascended.
Forgive me if you can.

Richard G Cheek

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

> Panhead wrote in message <38DBDA64...@intac.com>...
>
> >And just what IS "the majorities" problem with these harmless
> >pets?
> >Those snakes are a hell of a lot cuter than the females you ever
> >dated.
>
> At least I date human FEMALES ,

Oh, so you are marginally more intelligent than the average Aussie then. But
then again, with Aussie women, can you ever really be sure?

RGlenCheek

Richard G Cheek

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Panhead <Panmy...@intac.com> wrote in message

Yes, he is the most modest man in the Universe; just ask him, heheheh

RGlenCheek

Richard G Cheek

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Seppo Renfors <sren...@notspam.internode.on.net> wrote in message

> Dan Day wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:40:07 GMT, "Ferg" <fergu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
> > >diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
> > >bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"
> >
> > My, you're certainly an obnoxious little twit, aren't you?

Yes, he is.

> > >But then again, this is the NRA, we don't really expect them
> > >to give us real facts, do we?
> >
> > Yes, actually, we do, and they've got a spectacularly good
> > track record.
>
> So WHY are you guys lying your arses off for then?

We are not; if you have evidence, then present it. All I see is whining
gratuitous assertions, and no evidence or reason.

> I would bet my
> balls that the "track record" is as much of a LIE as your video about
> Australia! Once a con artist, always a con artist = NRA!

You really shouldnt gamble with assets you dont have.

> > Which is more than I can say for how often I've caught the
> > anti-gun factions lying through their teeth. And ironically,
> > often those lies are about the NRA's track record.
>
> BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHaaaaaaa......

Mating call of the Assie wombat-woolooloo.

PHHPHHPHHPHHHTTTTT! Oh my, there is the answering call of the Assie male
already.

> WHAT DID I SAY, the track record STINKS

Prove it then. We all know what a bunch of dumn bastids you are down there.
Thats why you need your government to disarm you and then tell you haow safe
you really are now.

>(my balls are safe :-)!!

Better look again, dodo.

>A mob
> of shysters and con artists!! That is the NRA (Nutty Rabid Americans)!

Heh, Ausstralia, land of the common crook from the time it was started to
this very day.

Oh, btw, kill any Aboriginese lately? I knew some S Africans who said that
that is still a sport "Down Under".

RGlenCheek

Richard G Cheek

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Joe Bridgehouse <joe...@cwcom.net> wrote in message

> Sandgroper <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> >
> > Julie Cochrane wrote in message <8bgvej$ujp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> > >I'm a great fan of letting people go to hell in their own way,
> > >and I have no intention of trying to tell you Australians how
> > >to live in your own country.
> >
> > Good , keep your nose out of Aust and don't tell us how to run our
> country
>
> > Sandgroper
> > ==========
> > Remove NOSPAMERS for Email
> >

> Does this mean you will practice what you preach?...And keep YOUR nose out
> of of UK affairs.....This is UK politics.Guns....Stick to what your best
at,
> Shearing Sheep, and bribing IOC officials.

Well, I hear that they more than just shear those poor sheep.

RGlenCheek

don

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Seppo Renfors wrote:

> Dan Day wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:40:07 GMT, "Ferg" <fergu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
> > >diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
> > >bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"
> >
> > My, you're certainly an obnoxious little twit, aren't you?
> >
> > >But then again, this is the NRA, we don't really expect them
> > >to give us real facts, do we?
> >
> > Yes, actually, we do, and they've got a spectacularly good
> > track record.
>
> So WHY are you guys lying your arses off for then? I would bet my

> balls that the "track record" is as much of a LIE as your video about
> Australia! Once a con artist, always a con artist = NRA!
> >
> > Which is more than I can say for how often I've caught the
> > anti-gun factions lying through their teeth. And ironically,
> > often those lies are about the NRA's track record.
>
> BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHaaaaaaa......
>
> WHAT DID I SAY, the track record STINKS (my balls are safe :-)!! A mob

> of shysters and con artists!! That is the NRA (Nutty Rabid Americans)!
> --
>
> SIR -Philosopher Unauthorised
> " Don't resent getting old. A great many are denied that privilege "
> ^0140 talk.politics.guns:57053 uk.politics.guns:3707

> Dan Day wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:40:07 GMT, "Ferg" <fergu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I think this is what is meant by "misleading". He was
> > >diplomatically trying to avoid saying that "Americans are a
> > >bunch of dishonest ignorant gun-loving liars"
> >
> > My, you're certainly an obnoxious little twit, aren't you?
> >
> > >But then again, this is the NRA, we don't really expect them
> > >to give us real facts, do we?
> >
> > Yes, actually, we do, and they've got a spectacularly good
> > track record.
>
> So WHY are you guys lying your arses off for then? I would bet my

> balls that the "track record" is as much of a LIE as your video about
> Australia! Once a con artist, always a con artist = NRA!
> >
> > Which is more than I can say for how often I've caught the
> > anti-gun factions lying through their teeth. And ironically,
> > often those lies are about the NRA's track record.
>
> BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHaaaaaaa......
>
> WHAT DID I SAY, the track record STINKS (my balls are safe :-)!! A mob

> of shysters and con artists!! That is the NRA (Nutty Rabid Americans)!
> --
>
> SIR -Philosopher Unauthorised

Drop drawers sir, and prepare for emasculation. In a nationwide survey
only the American Library Association was found to be, and by a very
narrow margin, more credible in data gathering and presentation than the
NRA. Each held positions one and two in the survey. Hmmmm. You kind of
starting to suck up there a little bit yet?

You will find the answers here in tpg if you are willing to dig for
them. I will no longer do research for others without pay. I did, in an
earlier post, list the URLs for two AU government crime data pages that
say you are full of it. Crime in AU has not dropped but in fact risen
and even where it hasn't changed much one still has that nagging
question, "why take private property in the name of safety if no gain is
noted?"
dlf

--
"Tender-handed stroke the nettle, And it stings you for your pains;
Grasp it like a man of mettle, And it soft as silk remains." Aaron Hill,

Richard G Cheek

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Eiley <eiley...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> Jim Patrick wrote in message
<1obods4q9aq2b36co...@4ax.com>...
> >On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 , "Sandgroper" <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au>
wrote:
> >>Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong ,wrong !!!!!!!
> >>
> >>You do not know anything about Aust culture or what has been happening
in
> >>Aust recent years.
> >>Aust has had a very large increase in drug activity and hence , an
> explosion
> >>of drug addicts.
> >
> >It still proves that guncontrol has no effect on reducing crime.
>

> ?? How does one prove such a negative?

Well, one COULD look at the numbers, like the rise in gun ownership (from
24% in 88 to 37% in 96) while gun related crimes have dropped across the
country since 94. Since there is no apparent relationship between gun
availability and gun crime, it is only reasonable to assert that restricting
gun availability further would continue to have no effect, except perhaps to
increase crime as lawful citizens are increasingly disarmed.

> Could you tell me, of all the gun related deaths in the USA each year,
what
> percentage is "intruder killed by homeowner protecting his/her
> property/family"?

That is irrelevant, not all crime preventions result in the death of the
perpetrator. Often the perp is arrested or simply flees. It is still crime
prevented and is estimated to be from 1 million per year to 2.5 million per
year..

> What percentage are escalated domestic arguments?

Most domestic murders are not committed with handguns, but with available
household implements like rolling pins frying pans, etc.

>What
> percentage are accidents?

In 1988, the last year that accidental gun death statistics were kept by the
FBI, there were only 200 gun deaths due to accidents in all of the US. And
the majority of them (178) occured in states that do not have must issue
laws for concealed carry.

> I bet the first one is so miniscule as to only be
> lumped in with "other" and the other two are substantial.

Then you would lose your money, because there are far more criminals killed
by gun owners ( I seem to remember around 15,000 per year) than accidental
deaths (200).

> The section of the ad I saw on TV said something along the lines of
> "Australians barricade themselves in their homes, afraid to go out after
> dark". This is a blatant lie, unless I missed the bit where they said
> "agrophobic Australians".

Oh, so you know for a fact that NO Australians ever barricasde themselves in
their homes?

>I live in what would be considered a lower
> socioeconomic suburb and I have never once felt afraid when at home alone
or
> walking around at night.

That could be attributable to many things, such as your naivete.

>The thought that someone might pull a gun on me is
> so remote as to be laughable.

Then why ban guns at all?

> But this is the NRA, the same organisation who suggested after Littleton
> that "teachers should be armed to prevent incidents like this"

That is working today in Isreal and the PLO have not attempted any school
terrorism since the Isrealis started doing this.

>and went wild
> when someone suggested that it might have been a good idea if the gun the
> 6-year-old picked up had some sort of safety catch on it.

The only thing wild here is your supposition that a crack dealer is going to
obey the law and use trigger locks, LOL!

> Intelligent,
> coherent argument indeed!

Judging from your post above, I dont think you have a clue about what
"Intelligent, coherent argument" actually is at all.

RGlenCheek

Richard G Cheek

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Kevin Sandford <KevinS...@postoffice.co.uk> wrote in message

> This is not a good idea for two very good reasons-
> 1)As an old German (ex WW2) workmate used to say,"when the German Army
> shoots,the British duck.When the British Army shoot,the Germans duck.When
> the US Army shoot,EVERYBODY ducks!!
> 2)Australia is a pretty big place,marked on lots of maps,etc,but you can
> bet the USAAF/Army etc would still shoot at and bomb Austria instead
> "Waal,we kinda figured it sounded pretty damn much the same,so we just
went
> right ahead and bombed it anyways"

Kevin, I can put 25 of 30 shots from a 44 magnum into a two inch circle at
25 yards. From the time I was fourteen, I could hit a 55 gallon drum at 400
yards with a 30-06. I am at best an average shooter in Texas.

The American infantry stopped the Germans at the battle of the Bulge,
stopped the Japs at Guadalcanal (and saved your asses), and stopped the Red
Chinese Army and rolled it back recapturing Seoul while heavily outnumbered.
It decimated the VietCong in the 68 TET offensive, and we made the battle
hardened Iraqui's look like amateurs in the Gulf War (where were you guys?).

That BS you quoted above is simple jealousy.

RGlenCheek

Scott Steel

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 23:58:19 GMT, Julie Cochrane
<julie_c...@my-deja.com> wrote:

For you folks in the US, please forgive my follow countrymen
for being rather, shall we say, full of conviction on the
matter of gun control, the NRA and its use of incorrect
statistics.

We in Australia have always found it difficult to understand
the NRA and its politics, primarily because of our different
philosophy on firearms as a body politic (which Im sure you
folk in the US have suddenly become aware of reading these
newsgroup discussions)

So, when we see an organisation like the NRA use incorrect
statistics and attempt to portray Australia as having a
social environment that she does not, we are somewhat pissed
off for being used as political pawns in someone elses
games, which ordinarily we couldnt give a shit about because
its your concern, not ours.

We dont take lightly to other countries portraying us as
something we are not, surely you can understand our agro at
the NRA for being, if not dishonest, certainly amatuerish in
their accumulation of facts, at our expense.

That said, on with the debate }B^)

>In article <38dbc390$0$21...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>,
>"Sandgroper" <stev...@NOSPAMERS.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> Julie Cochrane wrote in message <8bg8ge$486$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>> >In article <aDsC4.420$N47....@news.uswest.net>,

[snip]

>> That is the fact that you yanks do not realise , Aust people NEVER
>carry
>> guns in public , Aust people only use guns for the purpose of carrying
>out
>> their profession ( farmer, ringer , fisherman ..etc ) or because they
>belong
>> to a gun club.
>>
>> Learn about Aust and Aust culture before you start giving out
>scenarios
>> based on USA standards and culture.
>>

>Oh, GARBAGE!!!
>
>It's not a matter of CULTURE it's a matter of LOGIC.

Logic does dont preclude the possibility that culture and
other influences of behavioral psychology have different
prioritisations within the psychology of seperate,
identifiably different populations.

To give you an example, many cultures within South East Asia
place a higher priority on avoiding conflict and ensuring
interpersonal harmony than does your average Australian.If,
for instance, the head of a S.E.A government department
(Person A) became aware that another government department
was publishing incorrect data on their department and, in
the process, making them look bad and causing a 'loss of
face', the two heads of the relevant departments (Persons A
and B) would meet and negotiation would begin on how to
rectify the problem without aportioning blame.The end result
would be that the data would probably be changed, the people
responsible for the publishing of the incorrect data would
not be held to account and life would go "harmoniously"
onward as it did before.

If this situation was transposed onto Australia, the
departmental head (Person X), witnessing the publication of
false data about their department, would come down like a
ton of bricks on the head (Person Y) of the offending
department.Person X would demand that the responsible people
be held accountable, that disciplinary action be taken and
accountability mechanisms be upheld, that blame be
aportioned and that Person Y understands fully, beyond
doubt, that they comprehensively fucked up.

The exact same stimulus would elicit a completely different
set of responses between the Persons A&B and Persons X&Y,
purely because the culture and other influences of
behavioural psychology create a different set of
prioritisations of behaviour within the psychology of the
two groups.

For you to argue that culture is irrelevent and logic is the
predetermining factor in behavioural dynamics would require,
among a great many other things, that there exists an
overidingly homogenous set of cultural norms and mores that
are universally recognised and that there is a universally
recognised set of psychological prioritisations
homogeneously applied to global civilisation.

Since neither of these things exist, to say that culture is
irrelevent and that logic is the predetermining influence on
the psychological mechanics of decision making, is, in
itself, an illogical argument }B^)

>If you erect a straw-man argument and then refute it, you have
>NOT refuted your opponent's argument, no matter WHERE in the
>world you live nor what your "society" is nor what your "culture"
>is.
>
>Again, you run into the issue that the criminals know fewer
>honest people have guns, and therefore the criminals know there
>is less chance of their victim being armed.
>
>Some assaults may occur in your house, or on your land around
>your house, or on your farm---the criminal now knows such potential
>victims are unarmed.

But this precludes the possibility of factors such as the
overall availability of firearms, the willingness of people
to utilise violence as a self-defence mechanism, the ethics
of violent retaliation and the magnitude of that retaliation
(independent of the weapon, if any, used) from being
relevent, which is just not the case.

The availability of firearms in Australia has never been
similar to that of the USA for multiple reasons such as the
lack of domestic gun manufacturers in Oz, the nature of our
enitrely maritime border and how that changes the economics
of gun importation compared to the geography of the US
borders, the different sizes of our respective populations
and economies and the increased opportunities that large
economies like the US provide for importing arms through
ordinary trade routes.

The Australian population has historically had a different
philosophy on firearms to our US brethren, where our
philosophy is more utilitarian and the US philosophy has a
large streak of government deterence as a fundamental part
of its doctrine.We have in Australia (for a rather complex
set of reasons), tended to trust our governments and wield
our democratic authority through the ballot box (we have
compulsory voting - I know I know, weird you say) , whereas
the US population has tended to have a distrust of
government and have always preffered to have a safety catch
(being armed resistance) should democracy through the ballot
box fail to prevent State tyranny.

Because of these vast differences in perspective between us
and you folks in the US on the philosophy of firearms, what
may be a high prioritisation to a criminal in the US (such
as wondering whether or not a proposed victim is armed) has
never really been an issue in the mind of a criminal in
Australia because the overwhelming majority of Australian
households have never and will never own a firearm.

>The issue is NOT any specific example, the issue is that the
>general pro-gun contention is NOT that confiscation causes
>crimes committed WITH GUNS to rise, but that confiscation causes
>crimes committed AGAINST PEOPLE to rise,

That may well be the case in the US, but it is not
necesarrily the case in Australia because of the enormous
differences between our respective societies.

[snip]

>The NRA commercial MAY well have factual errors,

It does, pretty big ones, which is our primary concern,
despite all the baiting that's going on.

>but Dr. G-something's
>comments don't demonstrate any specific ones.
>

>I'm a great fan of letting people go to hell in their own way,
>and I have no intention of trying to tell you Australians how
>to live in your own country.

Likewise - it is just a pity that the NRA thought it
necesarry to drag Australia into their problems, through
falsely portraying us.

>HOWEVER, when an organization in our country is basically called
>liars by someone using flawed logic, I'm going to point that error
>in logic out.

The NRA may well be liars, I do not know whether they
deliberately or conveniently used verifiably false data.But
one does not need logic to bring to the US public's
attention the NRA's irresponsible use of false statistics.

>Live how you like, but we're still going to feel free to comment
>on it (as your people quite freely comment on us).

You always have ;-)

Why stop now }B^)

Scott Steel.

Carman

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Andrew Yong wrote in message <8bjreu$mtj$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>...

>Richard G Cheek <rglen...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Your nothing but a nation of former criminals, and now you're just a
bunch
>> of idiots. You have given up the very idea of natural rights so that
Nanny
>> state can take care of your lazy asses from cradle to grave. Your whole
>> country is little more than a bunch of loafing thieves and cowards.
>> Who gives a flying fuck what you try to think?

Is there someone, somewhere who cares what you try to think?

>Presumably the fact that it's their country might have some bearing on the
>matter....

Do you think so? I wonder if it is their country anymore. I was under the
impression they'd sold it to the Japanese.

That was a nasty crack. I should be ashamed of myself. Here I am living
among these nice Canadians who are so generous and open handed they gave
most of their country to the Americans. Perhaps "gave" isn't strong enough.
The Canadians, (in the person of Brian Mulroney, Prime Minister of Canada
from 1984, to 1993), practically ran down the street after the Americans
begging them to take the place.

It is perhaps significant that Mr Mulroney now lives in New York.

Carman

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

Andrew Yong wrote in message <8bjs5l$n7h$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>...

>Richard G Cheek <rglen...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > The section of the ad I saw on TV said something along the lines of
>> > "Australians barricade themselves in their homes, afraid to go out
after
>> > dark". This is a blatant lie, unless I missed the bit where they said
>> > "agrophobic Australians".
>>
>> Oh, so you know for a fact that NO Australians ever barricasde themselves
>> in their homes?
>
>If you say "Australians barricade themselves in their homes" it only takes
>one Australian who doesn't to disprove that obvious lie.

Or does it take only two Australians, (to account for the plural), who
barricade themselves in their homes to make the statement true?

>> >I live in what would be considered a lower socioeconomic suburb and I
have >> >never once felt afraid when at home alone or walking around at
night.

>> That could be attributable to many things, such as your naivete.

I used to go to Manhattan fairly frequently. I'd usually get in around
three AM, leave my vehicle in a locked lot and go looking for a place to
have breakfast. Alone. On foot. At night. In New York City. This was two or
three times a week for about a year. I was never bothered. People would
occasionally ask me for change, but no one was ever so much as rude to me.

What does this tell you about crime in Manhattan? Is it all a big lie, or
an urban legend perhaps? Is there really no street crime in NYC? I have
traveled extensively and only rarely been offered violence. What can one
conclude from this? Actually, very little. The experience of one person is
never sufficient.

>What would you say then about the fact that British policemen don't
normally
>carry firearms?

Is this a new development? I mean have things become so much safer after
the removal of most of the handguns that the police now feel safe enough to
walk around without guns? Have you got some verifiable statistics showing
this dramatic decline in crime? I'd love to see them.

>That they're 'naive' and that some dumb-fuck American who
>can't even find the UK / Australia / [insert name of country] on the map
>knows better than the local authorities what the local situation is?

When did this "local situation" come about? Have things always been pretty
quiet, or is this a new development?

>> >The thought that someone might pull a gun on me is so remote as to be
>> >laughable.

Did you live in fear of guns before the legislation?

>> Then why ban guns at all?
>

>Presumably so that it remains laughable.

Was there any statistical indication of a decline in the "laughable"
nature of the suggestion?

>> > But this is the NRA, the same organisation who suggested after
Littleton
>> > that "teachers should be armed to prevent incidents like this"

There is only one gun-control scheme I know of that has ever had a
statistically observable effect on crime: the passage of nondiscretionary
concealed handgun laws.

>> That is working today in Isreal and the PLO have not attempted any school
>> terrorism since the Isrealis started doing this.
>

>I suppose the Israelis can be confident that the threat comes from the PLO
>and not from Israeli six-year olds. What is an armed teacher going to do to
>a six-year old with a gun? Shoot him?

What is an unarmed teacher going to do when the killer walks in the door
and starts killing? Die most likely.

pyotr filipivich

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Julie Cochrane <julie_c...@my-deja.com> writes:

>In article <aDsC4.420$N47....@news.uswest.net>,

>"Prof. Jonez" <jo...@norcom.to> wrote:
>> Australia rejects America's NRA claims on gun bans
>>
>> March 23, 2000
>> Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. HKT (0258 GMT)
>>
>> SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australian officials demanded today that the
>U.S. National Rifle
>> Association pull a video airing on its Web site claiming that the
>nation's gun reform laws
>> had backfired.

><snip>

>> Dr. Adam Graycar, director of the Australian Institute of Criminology,
>said the statistics
>> were misleading.
>>
>> He said the latest annual crime figures, for 1998, showed that
>assaults had increased but
>> that most attacks did not involve guns. He said homicides decreased
>and were only rarely
>> committed with guns.
>>
><snip>

>"Most attacks did not involve guns"

>That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
>year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
>that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
>confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been

>emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
>they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
>guns.

You know what bugs me about this?

It is the assumption that the only physically violent
individuals are the big hulking dudes.
What ever happen to the 5'8" 150# punk who feels he has
something to prove by being toughter than everybody else? He can use
his fists with just as much malice, can kick someone weaker than he to
death, can generally be far more dangerous than the big person - if for
no other reason than he feels he has to prove how tough he is.
"Nobody takes me serious, so I get in their face immediately!"

>A rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath of restrictive
>new gun laws is a significant component of what would be expected
>if removing the guns from their honest owners removed a deterrent
>effect upon the criminal population that those guns were having.

>Victims don't get to choose who attacks them, and are usually
>attacked by people bigger and stronger than they are.

Or just meaner, and more inclined to physical violence.

>Criminals DO get to choose who they attack, and NATURALLY attack
>people they perceive to be weaker than themselves.

Yep. "Easier that way."

--
pyotr filipivich
Why did Mr Clinton take it personally when Mr Heston made the general

Clayton E. Cramer

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Andrew Yong wrote:

> Richard G Cheek <rglen...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > The section of the ad I saw on TV said something along the lines of
> > > "Australians barricade themselves in their homes, afraid to go out after
> > > dark". This is a blatant lie, unless I missed the bit where they said
> > > "agrophobic Australians".
> >
> > Oh, so you know for a fact that NO Australians ever barricasde themselves
> in
> > their homes?
>
> If you say "Australians barricade themselves in their homes" it only takes
> one Australian who doesn't to disprove that obvious lie.

I recall seeing a news story recently about a Sydney police station
where the police couldn't leave because of an attack by an armed
gang firing handguns at the station.

Clayton E. Cramer

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Richard G Cheek wrote:

> >What
> > percentage are accidents?
>
> In 1988, the last year that accidental gun death statistics were kept by the
> FBI, there were only 200 gun deaths due to accidents in all of the US. And
> the majority of them (178) occured in states that do not have must issue
> laws for concealed carry.

I am not aware that the FBI has EVER kept accidental gun death statistics.
This is the job of the National Center for Health Statistics.

> > I bet the first one is so miniscule as to only be
> > lumped in with "other" and the other two are substantial.
>
> Then you would lose your money, because there are far more criminals killed
> by gun owners ( I seem to remember around 15,000 per year) than accidental
> deaths (200).

Not everywhere near 15,000 -- typically about 9% of firearms deaths by
civilians in the U.S. are eventually ruled justifiable or excusable.

Clayton E. Cramer

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Olly wrote:

> > "Most attacks did not involve guns"
> >
> > That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
> > year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
> > that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
> > confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
> > emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
> > they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
> > guns.
>

> In maybe one case out of 10 million, the fact that the victim didn't have
> their pump action of semi-auto with them to defend themselves may have
> resulted in a worse outcome. Come on.... anyone who owned a semi-auto or
> otherwise would also own a "less deadly" firearm. Do you seriously think the

They would? For many years, the only guns that my wife and I owned
were semiautos. I know that I am not unique in that respect.

> > If the Australian government side doesn't have any better arguments
> > than this (ie-- -"assaults are way up, but we don't want to count
> > big thugs beating up little old ladies now that they have a government
> > guarantee the little old ladies are disarmed"-), then apparently
> > they're wrong and NRA is right.
>

> The NRA is never right. They are a rabid socially-evil organisation that
> spread about as much lies and dishonesty as all of America's TV evangelists
> put together.

Your statement appears to be a statement of faith unrelated to the remarks
to which you were responding.

Clayton E. Cramer

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Olly wrote:

> Dave,
>
> if you had the most basic understanding of statistics you would know that
> correlation does not mean causation (In a theoretical classroom, if Wendy
> got 98% for algebra and 95% for geography - that does not mean that getting
> good marks for algebra CAUSED her to get good marks for geography).
>
> By the same token if an industrialised nation has a high murder rate, that
> may not be caused by it's liberal gun laws. However in the case of the USA I
> cannot find any other CAUSE that would give it such a gigantically high
> murder rate compared to other western countries.
>
> Dave, how about you give me a better CAUSE other than guns that would
> explain America's staggeringly high homicide rate. Think hard about this
> one......

How about the same reason that our non-gun murder rate is staggeringly
high? That's a hint to look at the underlying cause of violence.

Clayton E. Cramer

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Olly wrote:

> > > Could you tell me, of all the gun related deaths in the USA each year,
> > what
> > > percentage is "intruder killed by homeowner protecting his/her
> > > property/family"?
>

> The pro-gunners don't like this statistic but it is one in 43.

And that statistic was gathered in King County, Washington (not
necessarily typical of the U.S.), and 37 of those 43 were suicides.
That study also excluded all non-lethal confrontations between armed
homeowners and intruders. Guess what: the goal of having a gun
isn't to kill the intruder, but to drive him away or hold him for police.

> > That is irrelevant, not all crime preventions result in the death of the
> > perpetrator. Often the perp is arrested or simply flees. It is still crime
> > prevented and is estimated to be from 1 million per year to 2.5 million
> per
> > year..
>

> try 80,000

That's the LOWEST number (now 108,000 with the latest NCVS results),
with most studies producing numbers in the mid-six figures area.

> .... by far most of those incidents were to scare off a criminal that had no
> intention of physically harming the victim in the first place.

How do you know that?

Andrew Yong

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

Richard G Cheek <rglen...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Your nothing but a nation of former criminals, and now you're just a bunch
> of idiots. You have given up the very idea of natural rights so that Nanny
> state can take care of your lazy asses from cradle to grave. Your whole
> country is little more than a bunch of loafing thieves and cowards.
>
> Who gives a flying fuck what you try to think?

Presumably the fact that it's their country might have some bearing on the
matter....

andrew

Andrew Yong

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

Richard G Cheek <rglen...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > The section of the ad I saw on TV said something along the lines of
> > "Australians barricade themselves in their homes, afraid to go out after
> > dark". This is a blatant lie, unless I missed the bit where they said
> > "agrophobic Australians".
>
> Oh, so you know for a fact that NO Australians ever barricasde themselves
in
> their homes?

If you say "Australians barricade themselves in their homes" it only takes
one Australian who doesn't to disprove that obvious lie.

> >I live in what would be considered a lower

> > socioeconomic suburb and I have never once felt afraid when at home
alone
> or
> > walking around at night.
>
> That could be attributable to many things, such as your naivete.

What would you say then about the fact that British policemen don't normally
carry firearms? That they're 'naive' and that some dumb-fuck American who

can't even find the UK / Australia / [insert name of country] on the map
knows better than the local authorities what the local situation is?

> >The thought that someone might pull a gun on me is

> > so remote as to be laughable.
>

> Then why ban guns at all?

Presumably so that it remains laughable.

> > But this is the NRA, the same organisation who suggested after Littleton

> > that "teachers should be armed to prevent incidents like this"
>

> That is working today in Isreal and the PLO have not attempted any school
> terrorism since the Isrealis started doing this.

I suppose the Israelis can be confident that the threat comes from the PLO
and not from Israeli six-year olds. What is an armed teacher going to do to
a six-year old with a gun? Shoot him?

[snip]

andrew

Sandgroper

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
Richard G Cheek wrote in message <8bjf19$fvl$1...@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>...

>Well, I hear that they more than just shear those poor sheep.

You have got the Aussies mixed up with the Kiwis , the Kiwis are the ones
that are noted for doing funny things to sheep.

Aust is the big land mass between the Indian and the Pacific Oceans, and it
is also not in the middle of Europe as some of you yanks believe that
australia = austria.

Sandgroper

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
Joe Bridgehouse wrote in message ...

>Does this mean you will practice what you preach?...And keep YOUR nose out
>of of UK affairs.....This is UK politics.Guns....Stick to what your best
at,
>Shearing Sheep, and bribing IOC officials.

This thread has been posted to a number of NGs ,I am responding to this
thread in Aus.politics.
Blame the original poster for crossposting to all these different NGs.

And BTW , al least we aussies know what a bar of soap is and bath regularly
, not like you Poms

Olly

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

> "Most attacks did not involve guns"
>
> That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
> year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
> that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
> confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
> emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
> they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
> guns.

In maybe one case out of 10 million, the fact that the victim didn't have
their pump action of semi-auto with them to defend themselves may have
resulted in a worse outcome. Come on.... anyone who owned a semi-auto or
otherwise would also own a "less deadly" firearm. Do you seriously think the

solution is arming grannies all around the country with semi-automatic
rifles?

> A rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath of restrictive
> new gun laws is a significant component of what would be expected
> if removing the guns from their honest owners removed a deterrent
> effect upon the criminal population that those guns were having.

There are other factors. One of them is the rise of heroin. The tighter gun
laws is a ridiculous factor.
The overall robbery assaults is up and has steadily increased over a three
year period. This does NOT mean it is a consequence of tighter gun laws.
Heroin has become cheaper and the number of heroin deaths has almost
overtaken the road toll. It is a monumental problem.
Want some other some other factors? How about youth unemployment....? How
about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor?

> Victims don't get to choose who attacks them, and are usually
> attacked by people bigger and stronger than they are.

they still shouldn't take the law into their own hands. The law is there for
a reason.

Olly

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

> >Aust has had a very large increase in drug activity and hence , an
> >explosion of drug addicts.
> >This has had the result of increased incidents of home invasions ,
> >bag snatching , car thefts and muggings ...etc , it is a direct
> >result of the drug addicts needing extra cash to support their habit
> >, it has NOTHING to do with any so called "restrictive gun laws".

> >That is the fact that you yanks do not realise , Aust people NEVER
> >carry guns in public , Aust people only use guns for the purpose of
> >carrying out their profession ( farmer, ringer , fisherman ..etc ) or
> >because they belong to a gun club.
> >
> So, you believe that as your drug problem grows and drug trafficking
> becomes more lucrative, your criminals will refrain from carrying and
> using guns? If not on "civilians", then at least on each other?

Do you have any idea what a heroin junkie is? They are thin pathetic human
beings that have their brains programmed to take more and more heroin. They
are mostly extremely poor and sleep in doorways. They have this need to get
money somehow to feed their habit and do lots of breaking into homes. They
mostly have no access to guns because the normal PROCESS of obtaining a gun
would not allow them to have one. Gun registration works.

I have yet to see a pro-gun argument that refutes this argument that drugs
is not the cause of increased crime here in Australia.

> American criminals didn't really start using firearms in earnest until
> our government banned the sale of alcohol, thereby establishing
> organized crime. The current "war on (some) drugs" serves to keep
> organized crime in business.

why not try drug education like most sensible countries do?

Olly

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
> >You do not know anything about Aust culture
>
> [Aussie drivel deleted]

> Australian "culture"? Hahahahahahahahahaha.

people who lose arguments have nothing left ...except to throw a few
insults.

Olly

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

> > This has had the result of increased incidents of home invasions , bag
> > snatching , car thefts and muggings ...etc , it is a direct result of
the
> > drug addicts needing extra cash to support their habit , it has NOTHING
> > do with any so called "restrictive gun laws".
>

> Are you saying, perhaps, just perhaps, that "correlation doesn't
necessarily
> imply causation?" Hmmm. Yet you will spout on about the US crime rates
> versus Oz's. Goose. Gander. Sauce.

Olly

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
> > Could you tell me, of all the gun related deaths in the USA each year,
> what
> > percentage is "intruder killed by homeowner protecting his/her
> > property/family"?

The pro-gunners don't like this statistic but it is one in 43.

> That is irrelevant, not all crime preventions result in the death of the

> perpetrator. Often the perp is arrested or simply flees. It is still crime
> prevented and is estimated to be from 1 million per year to 2.5 million
per
> year..

try 80,000

.... by far most of those incidents were to scare off a criminal that had no
intention of physically harming the victim in the first place.

> > What percentage are escalated domestic arguments?
>
> Most domestic murders are not committed with handguns, but with available
> household implements like rolling pins frying pans, etc.

ha hahaha!!!

> >What
> > percentage are accidents?
>
> In 1988, the last year that accidental gun death statistics were kept by
the
> FBI, there were only 200 gun deaths due to accidents in all of the US. And
> the majority of them (178) occured in states that do not have must issue
> laws for concealed carry.

200? oh dear..... try 1,300

> > I bet the first one is so miniscule as to only be
> > lumped in with "other" and the other two are substantial.
>
> Then you would lose your money, because there are far more criminals
killed
> by gun owners ( I seem to remember around 15,000 per year) than accidental
> deaths (200).

then by your fatal logic, if 15,000 criminals were killed in justifiable
self-defence (taking into account the 1/43 statistic).... there must have
been (let me get the calculator), 645,000 homicides involving guns in the
US...

> > The section of the ad I saw on TV said something along the lines of
> > "Australians barricade themselves in their homes, afraid to go out after
> > dark". This is a blatant lie, unless I missed the bit where they said
> > "agrophobic Australians".
>
> Oh, so you know for a fact that NO Australians ever barricasde themselves
in
> their homes?

Old Joe Henry down the street does. But that's probably because he's a
paranoid schozophrenic.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Olly

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

> > What on earth makes you think that you have the information to determine
> who is lying

> Its easy, really. Like any other LEftist crew of criminals, they are lying
> whenever their lips move.

once again you have lost the argument so you're left to just throw insults

Benjamin

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
> > Victims don't get to choose who attacks them, and are usually
> > attacked by people bigger and stronger than they are.
>
> they still shouldn't take the law into their own hands. The law is there
for
> a reason.

You fuckwit!

You honestly think the law should stop people from legally defending
themselves.

Gee, you're the dumbest cunt I've ever read on this NG!

Go fuck yourself, white ass chief!

Eiley

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

Benjamin wrote in message <38ddb772$0$11...@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

Ah, the informed, coherent, eloquent argument of the gun-lover! Such biting
wit, such brilliant dissection of the opposing argument - I'm convinced!
The NRA must be so proud to have an intellectual giant such as you putting
forth their viewpoints for them...

And is it true that holding a gun makes your penis grow an extra *three
inches*?

Go away, little boy. The grown-ups are talking here.

Cheers,
eiley

=== I doubt, therefore I might be. ===

thinkin...@my-deja.com

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <38DDBE87...@callatg.com>,

> I recall seeing a news story recently about a Sydney police station
> where the police couldn't leave because of an attack by an armed
> gang firing handguns at the station.
> --

Someone please confirm this, it would be useful.
I believe the statistic presented, the Australian government offered
them up. However, the Australia I know about is quite sublime and
friendly. So the Australian uproar over the specific statement of
"barricade themselves in their homes" is understandable, at least from
the perspective of many Australians. I believe, considering the
source, that gun control is failing communities that needed the
protection. Where are these areas?

--
Never Shoot to Kill
Always Shoot to Live.

Edmund Esterbauer

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

"Clayton E. Cramer" <cra...@callatg.com> wrote in message

> Andrew Yong wrote:
>
> > Richard G Cheek <rglen...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Oh, so you know for a fact that NO Australians ever barricasde
themselves
> > in
> > > their homes?
> >
> > If you say "Australians barricade themselves in their homes" it only
takes
> > one Australian who doesn't to disprove that obvious lie.
>
> I recall seeing a news story recently about a Sydney police station
> where the police couldn't leave because of an attack by an armed
> gang firing handguns at the station.

That is correct-I believe it was Bankstown .

Edmund Esterbauer

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

> > > what
> >
> > The pro-gunners don't like this statistic but it is one in 43.
>
> And that statistic was gathered in King County, Washington (not
> necessarily typical of the U.S.), and 37 of those 43 were suicides.

Males, who had child support (sic) liabilities that were in excess of their
incomes.

> That study also excluded all non-lethal confrontations between armed
> homeowners and intruders. Guess what: the goal of having a gun
> isn't to kill the intruder, but to drive him away or hold him for police.
>

> > > That is irrelevant, not all crime preventions result in the death of
the
> > > perpetrator. Often the perp is arrested or simply flees. It is still
crime
> > > prevented and is estimated to be from 1 million per year to 2.5
million
> > per
> > > year..
> >
> > try 80,000
>

> That's the LOWEST number (now 108,000 with the latest NCVS results),
> with most studies producing numbers in the mid-six figures area.
>

> > .... by far most of those incidents were to scare off a criminal that
had no
> > intention of physically harming the victim in the first place.
>

> How do you know that?

Carman

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

Olly wrote in message <8bk9gg$96s$3...@possum.melbpc.org.au>...

>> "Most attacks did not involve guns"
>>
>> That's NOT significant, and here's why: If a 200 lb 6'1" 19
>> year old thug attacks a 65 year old man or woman, without a gun,
>> that is STILL symptomatic of the failure of Australia's gun
>> confiscation because bigger, stronger, criminals may have been
>> emboldened in their attacks on physically weaker people now that
>> they are more confident those physically weaker people don't have
>> guns.
>
>In maybe one case out of 10 million, the fact that the victim didn't have
>their pump action of semi-auto with them to defend themselves may have
>resulted in a worse outcome. Come on.... anyone who owned a semi-auto or
>otherwise would also own a "less deadly" firearm. Do you seriously think
the
>solution is arming grannies all around the country with semi-automatic
>rifles?

Lets have a cite for the "one case out of 10 million" statistic.

>> A rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath of restrictive
>> new gun laws is a significant component of what would be expected
>> if removing the guns from their honest owners removed a deterrent
>> effect upon the criminal population that those guns were having.
>
>There are other factors. One of them is the rise of heroin. The tighter gun
>laws is a ridiculous factor.
>The overall robbery assaults is up and has steadily increased over a three
>year period. This does NOT mean it is a consequence of tighter gun laws.
>Heroin has become cheaper and the number of heroin deaths has almost
>overtaken the road toll. It is a monumental problem.
>Want some other some other factors? How about youth unemployment....? How
>about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor?

"How about", "how about", you sound like a broken record. How about the
passage of the restrictive firearms laws? Or can't you bear to consider that
at all?
When the State takes the guns away from thousands of people and there is, "A
rise in non-gun assaults in the immediate aftermath..." that is pretty
suggestive of a connection.

>> Victims don't get to choose who attacks them, and are usually
>> attacked by people bigger and stronger than they are.
>
>they still shouldn't take the law into their own hands. The law is there
for
>a reason.

This is a classic! Self-defense is equated with taking, "...the law into
their own hands." Beautiful! This is where all this Socialistic nonsense of
gun-control is going to take you. Right into the corner where you are
forbidden to defend yourself lest you somehow injure your assailant.

>> If the Australian government side doesn't have any better arguments
>> than this (ie-- -"assaults are way up, but we don't want to count
>> big thugs beating up little old ladies now that they have a government
>> guarantee the little old ladies are disarmed"-), then apparently
>> they're wrong and NRA is right.
>
>The NRA is never right. They are a rabid socially-evil organisation that
>spread about as much lies and dishonesty as all of America's TV evangelists
>put together.

Not maybe a little prejudiced are you? Though I can understand that
someone who doesn't want people to defend themselves from criminal attack
might not like the NRA.

I wonder how it must feel to be so concerned with the safety and
well-being of muggers and rapists? How can someone with enough brains to
keep their ears apart come to espouse such flagrantly vile and perverted
nonsense? I flatly fail to understand why anyone would care so much for that
scum.

thinkin...@my-deja.com

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <38DDC036...@callatg.com>,

"Clayton E. Cramer" <cra...@callatg.com> wrote:

> > .... by far most of those incidents were to scare off a criminal
that had no
> > intention of physically harming the victim in the first place.
>
> How do you know that?

Yeah, how *do* you know that? Are you going by criminal statements?
"Maaan, I wasn't REALLY gonna fucking kill her if she moved, man. You
know, I mean, dude, I just wanted to scare her!"
How are we to read the minds of those robbing us, threatening our
personal safety? However, they ran off, and weren't shot in the backs,
therefore there are *A LOT* of responsible self-defense gun owners,
obeying laws and morality out there by your own account.

> --
> Clayton E. Cramer http://www.ggnra.org/cramer to see excerpts from my
> five published books and full text of a number of scholarly and
popular
> articles. Looking for startup opportunity. Skills: Java, embedded C,
> TL1, SNMP, large user interface system design, project management,
> writing.

thinkin...@my-deja.com

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <djjD4.56789$3b6.2...@ozemail.com.au>,
"Edmund Esterbauer" <edm...@au.gateway.net> wrote:

> Males, who had child support (sic) liabilities that were in excess of
their
> incomes.

And what a wonderful legacy they left their children. No sympathy.
Sorry, my ex makes six figures and pays 500 in change per month. It
doesn't pay for pre-school.

thinkin...@my-deja.com

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <38DDBD14...@callatg.com>,

"Clayton E. Cramer" <cra...@callatg.com> wrote:

> I am not aware that the FBI has EVER kept accidental gun death
statistics.
> This is the job of the National Center for Health Statistics.

Either they collect from the NCHS, or they track themselves, because
the annual report I downloaded has these.

thinkin...@my-deja.com

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <oUiD4.56765$3b6.2...@ozemail.com.au>,
"Eiley" <eiley...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Ah, the informed, coherent, eloquent argument of the gun-lover! Such
biting
> wit, such brilliant dissection of the opposing argument - I'm
convinced!
> The NRA must be so proud to have an intellectual giant such as you
putting
> forth their viewpoints for them...
>
> And is it true that holding a gun makes your penis grow an extra
*three
> inches*?
>
> Go away, little boy. The grown-ups are talking here.
>
> Cheers,
> eiley

Though I am pro-gun, Eiley, I couldn't agree more with what you said.
Although, I doubt there is a female on this planet that has been
willing to appraise his "appendage" size.

It is loading more messages.