Gozo

Linedancer

Jun 23, 2004, 6:10:53 PM6/23/04
Just returned yesterday from a jolliday in the Maltese island of Gozo, it's
a wonderful place for a relaxing holiday, we had a lovely room overlooking
Marsalforn Bay. The helicopter transfer from Malta was quite an experience,
it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.
I have been trying to put these piccies on my web page, I can't get the last
two to w**k, I have uploaded all the pictures a few times now, hopefully the
others will still w**k, let me know if they don't.
The only pressies I have brought back are a few bottles of local wine and
some pea cakes.......enjoy :-)

Pat

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/

---

Flyińg Ńuń 2°°4 +

Jun 23, 2004, 6:17:14 PM6/23/04
Linedancer wrote:
> The only pressies I have brought back are a few bottles of local wine and
> some pea cakes.......enjoy :-)
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/

Ta ! I'll have the wine whilst I enjoy looking at the piccies. :-)
Don't forget the latest AVG update Virus Database 466
--
Heard melodies are sweet, Unheard melodies are sweeter
flyi...@tiscali.co.uk FN 2같4 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Flyińg Ńuń 2°°4 +

Jun 23, 2004, 6:33:13 PM6/23/04
Linedancer wrote:

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/

Looked at the photos - smashing Pat, except I couldn't get the last two to
open - got the NTL not found page. :-(

Tickettyboo

Jun 23, 2004, 6:55:21 PM6/23/04
In news:2judjlF...@uni-berlin.de,
Linedancer whispered softly in my ear....:

> Just returned yesterday from a jolliday in the Maltese island of
> Gozo, it's a wonderful place for a relaxing holiday, we had a lovely
> room overlooking Marsalforn Bay. The helicopter transfer from Malta
> was quite an experience, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

ooh you are oodles braver than I am....I am scaredy of jellycopters :-)
Looks like a lovely place <Boo shoves Malta up the list of places she
would like to visit>

> I have been trying to put these piccies on my web page, I can't get
> the last two to w**k, I have uploaded all the pictures a few times
> now, hopefully the others will still w**k, let me know if they don't.

All but the last two show up fine, I *think* that you got mixed up cos you
have a folder called gozo..which has a sub folder with the same name. The
last pic ( and the html page that will display it) is in the main
folder..look on the server and just drag the pic and html file *into* the
subfolder and that should fix it. If that doesn't make any sense, post
back and I will try again.
No idea where the second to last one is though..sorry

> The only pressies I have brought back are a few bottles of local wine
> and some pea cakes.......enjoy :-)

Never heard of pea cakes..are they green ? LOL Nicked a bottle of
wine..thanks :-)

--
Ticketty᧧

pmj

Jun 23, 2004, 7:12:35 PM6/23/04
"Linedancer" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Just returned yesterday from a jolliday in the Maltese island of Gozo,
> it's a wonderful place for a relaxing holiday, we had a lovely room
> overlooking Marsalforn Bay. The helicopter transfer from Malta was
> quite an experience, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.
> I have been trying to put these piccies on my web page, I can't get
> the last two to w**k, I have uploaded all the pictures a few times
> now, hopefully the others will still w**k, let me know if they don't.
> The only pressies I have brought back are a few bottles of local wine
> and some pea cakes.......enjoy :-)
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/

& you brought back a nice opportunity for us to do a bit of
Troubleshooting & Diagnosing of a very common sort of Prob, when trying
to put Pics up on the Web!
:-)

They are nice Pics!

But you seem to have got in a little bit of a mix-up & a bit confuzzled
with the difference between (& relevance of) the various Folders
(Directories) on a Web Server...
In the URL you Posted there are *2* Direcories called "gozo" - one
inside the other.
& teh URL points to a *Direcory*, not a File...
So, when the Browser looks at that URL, it is (in effect) asking the
Web Server to Serve up the Index of that Directory.
So, you've called the Main Thumbnail Page "index.htm" & that works fine.
BUT - the last 2 Links on that Thumbnail Page point to File(Name)s that
doesn't exist in the Directory, so we end up with a "404 Not Found" HTTP
Response.

The Link points to a File called:
"Marsalforn%20Bay%202.html"

However, there *is* a File called (nearly) that in the Directory
*above* (which is also called "gozo" & there *is* also the
corresponding Picture.
Have a look...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/%20Marsalforn%20Bay%202.html

*However*...
There's still a prob with that Page..
The Pic doesn't show up on the Page!
:-(

The prob is mainly down to the fact that there are various Spaces
in the FileNames - Both the HTML Page & the Pic have a Filename that
*begins* with a Space!

But the Link in the Page refers to the Filename of the Pic *without*
a Space in it.

So...
What you need to do is to go through the Folder of the Pics (on your
Hard Disk, Renaming the Files, so as to make sure that none of them
have extraneous Spaces in ther FileNames & then Run the IrfanView thing
again, to ReCreate the HTML Pages (with the right Links in them).
Then Upload the whole lot again. (Delete the Folder off the Web Server
first though).

As a quick Fix, you could just Upload the HTML File called
"Marsalforn Bay 2.html" & the JPEG File called "Marsalforn Bay 2.JPG"
to the same Folder as all the rest of the Files (& also Rename them,
so that the FileNames don't begin with a Space).

HTH

--
pmj

pmj

Jun 23, 2004, 7:25:09 PM6/23/04
"pmj" <po...@newsgroup.for.details> wrote in message

> "Linedancer" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> > I have been trying to put these piccies on my web page, I can't
> > get the last two to w**k, I have uploaded all the pictures a few
> > times now, hopefully the others will still w**k, let me know if
> > they don't.
> > The only pressies I have brought back are a few bottles of local
> > wine and some pea cakes.......enjoy :-)
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/
>
> & you brought back a nice opportunity for us to do a bit of
> Troubleshooting & Diagnosing of a very common sort of Prob, when
> trying to put Pics up on the Web!
> :-)
>
> They are nice Pics!
>
> But you seem to have got in a little bit of a mix-up & a bit
> confuzzled with the difference between (& relevance of) the various
> Folders (Directories) on a Web Server...
<snip>

> As a quick Fix, you could just Upload the HTML File called
> "Marsalforn Bay 2.html" & the JPEG File called "Marsalforn Bay 2.JPG"
> to the same Folder as all the rest of the Files (& also Rename them,
> so that the FileNames don't begin with a Space).

& also...
To sort out the second to last one, just ReName the HTML File
" Xlendi Bay 2.html"
on the Web Server - *removing* the Space from the beginning of the
FileName.
& do the same with the corresponding JPEG File.
" Xlendi Bay .JPG"
Take out the Space at the Beginning of the FileName.
Cos the Files *are* there, in the right Directory, they just have the
wrong FileName(s)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/%20Xlendi%20Bay%202.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/%20Xlendi%20Bay%202.JPG

HTH

--
pmj

Rabbit

Jun 23, 2004, 7:41:33 PM6/23/04

> Just returned yesterday from a jolliday in the Maltese island of Gozo,
it's
> a wonderful place for a relaxing holiday, we had a lovely room
overlooking
> Marsalforn Bay. The helicopter transfer from Malta was quite an
experience,
> it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.
> I have been trying to put these piccies on my web page, I can't get
the last
> two to w**k, I have uploaded all the pictures a few times now,
hopefully the
> others will still w**k, let me know if they don't.

Looks a lovely place and nice piccies. Well done girl on getting them on
a web to show us, well all except the last two but you'll get that
sorted soon now.

> The only pressies I have brought back are a few bottles of local wine
and
> some pea cakes.......enjoy :-)

Oh I'll just have a few bottles of wine before the hordes appear in the
morning :-)

--
Sandra

People will forget what you said.
People will forget what you did, but
People will never forget how you made them feel.
http://spamcop.net/

Message has been deleted

Foxy

Jun 24, 2004, 4:59:02 AM6/24/04
Linedancer wrote:
> Just returned yesterday from a jolliday in the Maltese island of
> Gozo, it's a wonderful place for a relaxing holiday, we had a lovely
> room overlooking Marsalforn Bay. The helicopter transfer from Malta
> was quite an experience, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.
> I have been trying to put these piccies on my web page, I can't get
> the last two to w**k, I have uploaded all the pictures a few times
> now, hopefully the others will still w**k, let me know if they don't.
> The only pressies I have brought back are a few bottles of local wine
> and some pea cakes.......enjoy :-)
>
> Pat
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/

Lovely pictures Pat. Makes me want to go on holiday too :-(

Jen

Flyińg Ńuń 2°°4 +

Jun 24, 2004, 5:44:26 AM6/24/04
Rabbit wrote:
> Oh I'll just have a few bottles of wine before the hordes appear in the
> morning :-)

I didn't think I'd left any. LOL

Linedancer

Jun 24, 2004, 7:26:11 AM6/24/04
Wrinklie One wrote:

> Haven't had time to view pics yet...tomorrow perhaps..but please save
> some pea cake for me...they're lovely

Yummy, for those who are wondering, they are shaped like small Cornish
Pasties,theycontain Chick peas etc in flaky pastry.

I have done the piccies again with a new folder, also one of the Capital of
Gozo Victoria, taken within the Citadel walls, the statue was outside a
school.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Victoria/

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Gozo%202004/ (forgot about the
space in Gozo 2004 :-(

Pat

---

Rabbit

Jun 24, 2004, 12:25:32 PM6/24/04

"Flyińg Ńuń 2°°4 +" <flyi...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> I didn't think I'd left any. LOL

KK---Can't Count :-)

Flyińg Ńuń 2°°4 +

Jun 24, 2004, 12:36:02 PM6/24/04
Rabbit wrote:
> "Flyińg Ńuń 2°°4 +" <flyi...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I didn't think I'd left any. LOL
>
> KK---Can't Count :-)

I think you're making it up. :-)

--
Heard melodies are sweet, Unheard melodies are sweeter

flyi...@tiscali.co.uk FN 2°°4 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Linedancer

Jun 24, 2004, 1:57:45 PM6/24/04
pmj wrote:
> "pmj" <po...@newsgroup.for.details> wrote in message
>> "Linedancer" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> <snip>
>>> I have been trying to put these piccies on my web page, I can't
>>> get the last two to w**k, I have uploaded all the pictures a few
>>> times now, hopefully the others will still w**k, let me know if
>>> they don't.
>>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/
>>
>> & you brought back a nice opportunity for us to do a bit of
>> Troubleshooting & Diagnosing of a very common sort of Prob, when
>> trying to put Pics up on the Web!
>> :-)
>>
>> They are nice Pics!

Thank you

>> But you seem to have got in a little bit of a mix-up & a bit
>> confuzzled with the difference between (& relevance of) the various
>> Folders (Directories) on a Web Server...
> <snip>

I got in a big mix up, I think it was because I put gozo on the Irfan View
thumbnail subfolder, I should have left it blank, maybe that's where the
gozo/gozo came from.

>> As a quick Fix, you could just Upload the HTML File called
>> "Marsalforn Bay 2.html" & the JPEG File called "Marsalforn Bay 2.JPG"
>> to the same Folder as all the rest of the Files (& also Rename them,
>> so that the FileNames don't begin with a Space).
>
> & also...
> To sort out the second to last one, just ReName the HTML File
> " Xlendi Bay 2.html"
> on the Web Server - *removing* the Space from the beginning of the
> FileName.
> & do the same with the corresponding JPEG File.
> " Xlendi Bay .JPG"
> Take out the Space at the Beginning of the FileName.
> Cos the Files *are* there, in the right Directory, they just have the
> wrong FileName(s)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/%20Xlendi%20Bay%202.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/gozo/%20Xlendi%20Bay%202.JPG

I tried all that,but I still couldn't get it right, so I deleted the
space at the beginning of the name on the original pictures,and re-uploaded
them, but it still didn't w**k, then when I tried to delete the two gozo
files on my upload page, it said the two files didn't exist and to make sure
I had permission to access them, I tried uploading them all again and then
the two problem ones w***ed, but the rest didn't. I then deleted the gozo
folder in my documents, but still couldn't delete them from my web space.
I then started again and created a web page called gozo 2004, uploaded them
and that w****d ok.
I then had another go with some different piccies without re-naming them and
called the web page Victoria.
So I then had:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Gozo%202004/
and:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Victoria/

As an experiment I copied all the things out of the Victoria foder in my doc
to a new one called gozo and uploaded it to my web space, that may well
w**k, I don't know for sure.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/

it will of course be the same as the Gozo 2004 one.
I now have two gozo folders and a third Gozo one containing another gozo
folder which I can't delete.
Are you still with me PMJ ? I don't want to confuddle you.;-)

If I rename the original pictures with meaningful names instead of numbers,
do I have to put an _ in between each word to avoid the %20 thingy ?

Pat

---

BoyPete

Jun 24, 2004, 2:32:02 PM6/24/04
Great pics.............love the legs ;)
--
ßōyžėtė
www.boypete.dsl.pipex.com/cgarden.htm

Oldrose

Jun 24, 2004, 3:31:15 PM6/24/04

> Wrinklie One wrote:
> >
> > Haven't had time to view pics yet...tomorrow perhaps..but please save
> > some pea cake for me...they're lovely
>
> Yummy, for those who are wondering, they are shaped like small Cornish
> Pasties,theycontain Chick peas etc in flaky pastry.
>
> I have done the piccies again with a new folder, also one of the Capital
of
> Gozo Victoria, taken within the Citadel walls, the statue was outside a
> school.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Victoria/
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Gozo%202004/

Thanks for showing those, Pat. They are very interesting. I'll have some
wine if there is any left but I'll pass on the pea cakes.
--
®

pmj

Jun 27, 2004, 1:51:29 PM6/27/04
"Linedancer" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> I tried all that,but I still couldn't get it right, so I deleted
> the space at the beginning of the name on the original pictures,
> and re-uploaded them, but it still didn't w**k, then when I tried
> to delete the two gozo files on my upload page, it said the two
> files didn't exist and to make sure I had permission to access them,

Yep, you can end up with all sorts of weird & wonderful (& confuzzling)
Error Messages, when you start using non-standard Characters in
FileNames on Web Servers.

>... I tried uploading them all again and then the two problem ones

> w***ed, but the rest didn't. I then deleted the gozo folder in
> my documents, but still couldn't delete them from my web space.

See above.
You prolly can't delete the Folder s (Directories) on the web Sefver
unless they are Empty, so first, you'd have to Delete all the Files
(& any Sub-Folders) in them.

> I then started again and created a web page called gozo 2004,
> uploaded them and that w****d ok.

Good!
:-)
That's the way to do it!
Don't be afraid to Delete it & start again.

> I then had another go with some different piccies without re-naming
> them and called the web page Victoria.
> So I then had:
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Gozo%202004/
> and:
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/Victoria/

& they both work fine!!!
OK - On the first one, there's some Duplication of Pics, but basically
it's all working OK.
Notice how the FileNames that you have used (for the Files on your Hard
Disk) have been picked up & used by IrfanView for the "Captions" below
the Pics as well as the Filenames (& thus the Links) for the PiPages
with teh pics on.
This is why you need to be careful (& think about the implications of)
what FileNames you use for the Pics.

> As an experiment I copied all the things out of the Victoria foder
> in my doc to a new one called gozo and uploaded it to my web space,
> that may well w**k, I don't know for sure.

Yep!
It should work fine!!!
that's the clever (& really useful) about how Web pages work!!!
If you write them correctly (using *Relative* Path/Filenames) you can
Upload them to any Folder (Directory) on any Web Server anywhere & they
will still work fine!
That way you don't have to worry about faffing around re-writing
all the Links in the pages.

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pat.halliday/gozo/

Yep!
That works fine!
Complete with the duplicated Pages & Pics...
Marsalforn Bay 2.JPG
Marsalforn Bay2.JPG

> I now have two gozo folders and a third Gozo one containing
> another gozo folder which I can't delete.

LOL!!!

> Are you still with me PMJ ? I don't want to confuddle you.;-)

Yes, I *think* I'm still with you - though, like you say it can begin
to get a bit confuzzling sometimes...

> If I rename the original pictures with meaningful names instead
> of numbers, do I have to put an _ in between each word to avoid
> the %20 thingy ?

Well, the "%20" Thingy is just where there's a Space Characater
in the Filename.
So if you want to avaoid that, then yes, don't use Space Characters
in the FileNames.
Many people use Hyphens/Dashes "-" or UnderScores "_" instead of Space
Characters in Filenames, cos they are OK & don't cause probs.

But actually, other people say that trying to have these great big,
long so-called "meaningful" Filenames on Pictures & Web Pages is
what causes half the probs!!!
You have to be aware of what Characters are safe (& sensible) to use
in FileNames & what aren't & what (undesirable) effects & probs they
can cause.
& using the *FileName* of a Pic as its Caption is bound to lead to probs
sooner or later.
But to do it any other way, you would have to manually Enter or Edit
the Caption in the HTML Pages.
Basically, there's no way that any Computer Program can know what *you*
want to use as the Caption of a Pic, so (somewhere or other) you have
to Ener that Information yourself - either in the FileName of the Pic,
by ReNaming it, or (more usefully) in the MetaData of the Pic (so that
a Computer Program *can* then Read it) or in the HTML of the Page that's
displaying it.

HTH

--
pmj